• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doing Nithya Anushtanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pranams to elders. to the best of my knowledge i give reply. for closing eyes i dont know the reason.
But it is explained that we should see our nose edge by both eyes and by practimce the sight go up .
to concentraete opur mind in japam it is agreeable that if we open our eyes then we must see the surroundings
and view the things going inaround us. so because of this our concentration may divert for that reason they
closed their eyes.

For covering the counting fingers it is beleived that doing gayqathri japam or astakshara or Panchaksara it is beleivedthat
the god and goddes are present their and both of them bless us. if it is opened this may disturn them. that is their sangamam.
also the benefits of japam may be stealed by asuras when it is open so it is covered with angaqvaastram it is written in
dhar,asatra sirilla, vaoduamqatja deeksitham. Srinivasamoorthy R

If doing anustanam was so important Shankaracgarya would not have composed Bhaja Govindum at all. There is a story attached to the composition of the present Hymn. Acharya Shankara, it is said, was walking along a street in Varanasi, one day, accompanied by his disciples. He heard the sound of grammatical rules being recited by an old scholar. Taking pity on the scholar, he went up to him and advised him not to waste his time on grammar at his age but to turn his mind to God in worship and adoration.

According to Hindu scriptures even thousands of years of rituals and penance are useless until and unless Brahman is known.
"About the importance of knowing Brahman, Yajnavalkya said-"In this world, one without knowing the imperishable, may offer oblations into fire, perform sacrifices, practice austerities for thousands of years (but still) find all such acts unproductive (of result). Also, whoever departs from this world (meets death) without knowing the imperishable, is miserable, but he who departs after knowing, that as a knower of Brahman (Brahmavit), attains to Brahman."

Ok, here is my theory.

The counting of the japam with the thumb lightly touching the tip of the finger would equate to mudras. So while the individual is focussed on the sun's radiance or brilliance while closing his eyes, all the mudras ensure that the nerves/muscles etc etc are activated to the max...

Now I have let the secret out... :)

My OP is just to find out the reason for closing the fingers with Vastram; Whether that way doing Japam is correct or not is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back