• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does Religion Kill God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

From some posts in another thread..suddenly a thought came to me...'Does Religion Kill God?"

I wonder?

Let's see..religion actually does NOT talk about God in anyway.Its always a bunch of man made rules to be imposed to instill so called discipline.

But do these really work?

God is meant to be feared and only feared.

We forget to love God..we forget our inherent freedom to break away from bondage and love only God.

Bhakti is a grossly misunderstood word.Those who claim to be Bhakti personified are just experts in emotions..being emotional to seek favors from God.

If tomorrow God tells His most ardent Bhaktas that He is no more playing Santa Claus and delivering goodies..99.99 % of Bhaktas will start to worship the Devil!LOL

Its not a joke..most people pray becos they want something.

Desire is called Bhakti..nothing more.

The reason for this is becos Religion has Killed God.

Religion has never allowed God to be alive..never allowed God to be interactive.

God is meant to be far away may be in Vaikunta or Kailash or in some heaven but never with us or never meant to be next to us.

We have never been taught to imagine God alive and pulsating.

Religion wants Him dead and dead He is as long religion exists.

Last edited:
God in all religions is projected as a super entity overseeing its followers to conform to certain rules

and regulations to be followed. it prescribes punishment who do not adhere to what is laid down and

rewards for true conformers.concepts of hell for the deviant and heavan for followers are laid down.

God is in a special place keeping a watch over all humans.

most are advised to totally surrender to Him and beg for his kindness who will bestow all happiness

and prosperity for ones well being.

the rules and regulations laid down and more its interpretations by Godmen leads often to

revulsion

God as a concept evoking fear of retribution not listening to godmen representing some god or

promise of benefits to so called bhaktha by unconditional surrender to God and also Godmen his

representative is leading to a desire and want fulfilling entity called God

those who do not get their wishes or needs fulfilled might be be tempted to look away

from God for better entities if they are available , Why not?

the way religion gets practised needs to change , getting away from favour seeking projection of

God to some other entity more scientific and talking about need of good honest work for rewards,

honesty as values instead of rituals and singing of lords praise talking of the super natural powers he has

Dear Krish ji,

I agree with you that religion needs to change its approach.

Its high time God is made to be loved and not feared and to hell with all rules.

Does God have rules? I doubt it.

Its humans that have rules and some want to be bound by rules.

Some want the S&M feel of playing bondage and inflict pain on themselves and others in their quest to seek God.

May be humans love to be bound..many fear breaking free.

Freedom is beautiful...only in Freedom total surrender can happen.

God has no time for losers...He only wants winners!He will gladly make you win.

So what is everyone waiting for?

Last edited:
when day to day living becomes difficult placing higher demands on individuals, they choose to herd

together in worship of entity who can offer protection by following some rules and evoke fear also for

non conformists. people do not want freedom as they fear freedom and do not know what to do

with it

eve the poor do not care for either freedom or which religion to follow.

in fact any religion which gives them excellent economic benefits is good for them.

thats why many are reconverting . when some benefits are offered

similarly middle class brahmin educated girls say to hell with caste if not religion for marriage if it is good economics and it

offers foreign stay for study or employment and helps her family

Dear Krish ji,

I agree with you that religion needs to change its approach.

Its high time God is made to be loved and not feared and to hell with all rules.

Does God have rules? I doubt it.

Its humans that have rules and some want to be bound by rules.

Some want the S&M feel of playing bondage and inflict pain on themselves and others in their quest to seek God.

May be humans love to be bound..many fear breaking free.

Freedom is beautiful...only in Freedom total surrender can happen.

God has no time for losers...He only wants winners!He will gladly make you win.

So what is everyone waiting for?

Smt. Renuka,

This has reference also to your OP.

The word 'religion', as per google search, is derived from the Latin "religare" = to bind, > "religio" (Latin) = obligation, bond, reverence, > "religion" (ME) = life under monastic vows. Therefore, it is foolish to expect religion (any religion, that is) to allow complete freedom; "free religion" is an oxymoron. At best, a religious sytem can be like a 'cosy club' of like-minded people working to achieve certain overt or covert objectives which will be beneficial (materially) to that small group. The club then tries to trap, snare and lure gullible folks into their system of things. A certain godhead which will give you 'special protection' during your life in this world, a cosy "life after death" etc., are the usual promises which every religion holds out to all those who will fall for its bait and obey all its rules to the last minuscule point, without fail; as time passed, the people who run the 'cosy clubs' found that there needs to be a side-window and some religions have one special godhead which is compassion personified, and has the power to condone many imperfections and lapses committed by the gullible followers and grant them the cosy "life after death" boon.

It will be seen that the one basic tenet in all these steps/promises is the (unwritten?) assumption that the self or "I"-ness of each individual continues to exist even after death, whereas we human beings actually do not have any knowledge about the truth or otherwise of such a belief. Thus, religions become basically "blind beliefs".

The concept of "god" — one god or many gods — is also an imaginary concept put forward by the cosy clubs which manage religions and get benefited by such enterprise. Honestly, we humans do not have any proof for the existence of any of the gods. Though some people may claim that they have heard god speaking to them or standing before them and conversing, beyond such statements we don't have any corroborating evidence like the audio recording of the god's speech or a video grab of the god, etc. Hence, it is not possible to give any credence to such claims beyond that these may be one class of hallucinations.

You will therefore see that there was no god to start with, and it is the religions which have invented and created gods. So, religions have foisted imaginary gods to gullible humanity. The question whether these imaginary gods have life or not, is not easy to answer, because, in most religions these gods are mere icons or idols only.

IMHO, the only "true" god is the power that grants life to our physical bodies and makes them function, feel and think. No religion, except some of the Siddhars, the Tirumanthiram, etc., talk in this vein. To me it appears as though this "true" god is beyond the pale of religions, and it never dies and we can't know when it was born.

Last edited:
Smt. Renuka,

This has reference also to your OP.

I feel, despite all your vast readings and studies, the impressions which you have about "god" and 'religion' are not very correct.

dear Sangom ji,

I knew you would say this...actually there is a reason why I started this thread..I know it does not jive technically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back