• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does religion make you a good person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I view with suspicion anyone who tells me that he is religious or God fearing. More a person performs rituals related to religion , I try to get further away from them.

I rarely go to any temple by choice or recite any mumbo jumbo in praise of almighty.

Religion does not make a person better in any way.

Anyone professing to be religious can be equally crooked as one who says he is an atheist.

For most religion is only a time pass.

1)I view with suspicion anyone who tells me that he is religious or God fearing. More a person performs rituals related to religion , I try to get further away from them.

2)I rarely go to any temple by choice or recite any mumbo jumbo in praise of almighty.

3)Religion does not make a person better in any way.

4)Anyone professing to be religious can be equally crooked as one who says he is an atheist.

5)For most religion is only a time pass.

1)Good for you. Because you have been impressed with images of someone who pretended to be religious and God fearing while in reality remaining a dirty rascal. Images are indelible for you and so you suffer. You carry these impressions and it is your inability to get rid of them that makes you dismiss out of hand any thing religious. God bless you.

2)It is your choice. It need not be the best option for others. I am sure you are not prescribing it to others.

3)You are not relligious and you are treading on unfamiliar grounds. So I take your words with a very very large pinch of salt. I would prefer to listen to someone who is religious to know what he gained from being religious.

4)Any crook can profess religion and that is not the fault of the religion or the fault of those who are religious. For a crook a religion and atheism both are tools for manipulating others. It is a pity people do not understand this.

5)I have better methods to pass time. Anyway religion is a very boring mehtod to pass time.

Drishtikone matters. LOL.

I dont feel religion makes us a better person.
Enough haraamis are "religious"!!LOL

I feel goodness is not something we acquire.
Its latent in us..just needs unveiling.

Sometimes religion can mask goodness cos we might develop some form of false perception and start viewing the world differently.

Extremism is usually linked to religion.
We see Hindutva resorting to violence these days even causing death becos they suspected a person for having beef in their fridge.

We have ISIS..linked to religion and linked to terrorism.

Religion might actually be a hindrance at times.
I am not saying Religion is entirely bad but at times it does not allow us to think.

It breeds attachment.

So does Religion actually makes us good?

My answer is NO not always and YES..sometimes.

Last edited:
All Religions, including Atheist, agnostic etc Gives a sense of belonging.
A person is Good or bad depending on their value system alone that too in their own eyes.
A good person in one religion may be judged a bad person in another religion.

A devout Hindu might be in Jail for practicing his religion in Saudi Arabia. Is he a good or bad person?

So the OP is vague.
To me, a person drinking alcohol is bad, others may feel differently.
I do not drink, so I can have that feeling. It may be irrational. So what?

Last edited:
Vanakkam,

Does being religious make us morally better, or good?
It depends. Some religious people are just gems and angel like. They imbibe whatever that are taught in the religion and run their lives with good moral conduct. Then, there are those too, who are religious but are impossible to be around with so much flaws and disorders in the mind. I think it depends on what a person chooses to subscribe from the religion in his or her life. Many other significant factors like upbringing, mindsets, ideas nurtured and acquired in their environment and latent tendencies, can play a part on how good or bad people turn into.

Put it another way, are atheists bad people?

Not necessarily. Many atheists are good people and morally good. Some of them, yes, I agree are impossible to digest. So it really depends on what people subscribe to in their lives and how they conduct themselves with that ideas. I heard a lecture once, that it is the atheists who will think about God most of the time as they will spend so much time reading holy texts and literature, just for the sake of debunking God.

Have seen good, bad and ugly of all kinds of people - God fearing to atheists.

We have very nice people in this forum of all kinds of faiths. Then there are a few religious nut-bags LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back