• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does God exist?

sravna

An ancient topic but with no clear-cut answer. I believe He does. Before giving my reasons for existence of God I will define God in a general way divorced from the understanding given by religions.

There is a sense of mystery, fear and awe surrounding God. Mystery because there is no documented evidence of His existence. Fear because we do not want to be punished for our wrongdoings and God is supposed to do that to maintain righteousness. Awe because massive powers and ideal qualities are attributed to Him.

For people to believe in God the uncertainty with respect to above has to be cleared. To me God is someone who created this universe and laid its laws. He is timeless. Why do I think He exists? Firstly reality has to be timeless because time itself cannot start at a particular time. Reality cannot be absolutely nothing because we exist. So there is something in reality and it is timeless.

We experience time. It contradicts with the timelessness of reality. So the way out is it is just our perception of the reality of time though it is not real. It is logical that the greater reality of timelessness is experienced by a greater entity. This is God and He should have been responsible for the creation of universe.

We don't have historical evidence of God because the historical period is too tiny in the time frame of God. His laws though are continuously in force whether physical or otherwise to such precision. We can take credit for only discovering them as He is their creator.
But since there is no evidence of Him He seems a mystery.

Fear happens naturally to anyone who commits evil acts and does not want to be punished. Does He punish or is there law to punish? I think yes because timelessness can be possible only in a harmonious state. So to ensure harmony and peace exists adharmic and evils acts are countered and punished inevitably and this is what ensures timelessness of reality.

Does he have immense powers and good qualities attributed to Him? Yes because He created the universe and He wants to ensure harmony and peace and He is able to fight successfully all devious and evil acts.

In conclusion God does exist and is benevolent with His main aim being establishment of harmony. This world may have a purpose from God's point of view such as being his pastime or a more serious purpose.

Last edited:
I hypothesize there is an imbalance even in the supposedly self sufficient spiritual reality . The reason is spiritual reality is characterized by constant RSS and so has no experience of change. So a higher balance is lacking. Thus there is a need for change characterized physical reality to address that higher imbalance.

In a more juicier way and invoking Advaita, the masculine aspect in nirguna brahman is not able to fathom fully the depth of the feminine aspect and so projects the material reality and writes a script to understand the depth of the feminine aspect.

As creating change is an intrinsic feature of Shakthi, she can be deeply understood only in a change characterized reality. So the need for projection of material reality by the masculine aspect and write a mega script to find out the unknown. He does finally and everything then dissolves into the spiritual reality. The saga though repeats.

Last edited:
An ancient topic but with no clear-cut answer. I believe He does. Before giving my reasons for existence of God I will define God in a general way divorced from the understanding given by religions.

There is a sense of mystery, fear and awe surrounding God. Mystery because there is no documented evidence of His existence. Fear because we do not want to be punished for our wrongdoings and God is supposed to do that to maintain righteousness. Awe because massive powers and ideal qualities are attributed to Him.

For people to believe in God the uncertainty with respect to above has to be cleared. To me God is someone who created this universe and laid its laws. He is timeless. Why do I think He exists? Firstly reality has to be timeless because time itself cannot start at a particular time. Reality cannot be absolutely nothing because we exist. So there is something in reality and it is timeless.

We experience time. It contradicts with the timelessness of reality. So the way out is it is just our perception of the reality of time though it is not real. It is logical that the greater reality of timelessness is experienced by a greater entity. This is God and He should have been responsible for the creation of universe.

We don't have historical evidence of God because the historical period is too tiny in the time frame of God. His laws though are continuously in force whether physical or otherwise to such precision. We can take credit for only discovering them as He is their creator.
But since there is no evidence of Him He seems a mystery.

Fear happens naturally to anyone who commits evil acts and does not want to be punished. Does He punish or is there law to punish? I think yes because timelessness can be possible only in a harmonious state. So to ensure harmony and peace exists adharmic and evils acts are countered and punished inevitably and this is what ensures timelessness of reality.

Does he have immense powers and good qualities attributed to Him? Yes because He created the universe and He wants to ensure harmony and peace and He is able to fight successfully all devious and evil acts.

In conclusion God does exist and is benevolent with His main aim being establishment of harmony. This world may have a purpose from God's point of view such as being his pastime or a more serious purpose.
This question can be answered as

1) Yes
2) No
3) May be
4) I don't know

All 4 are right if the answer comes from the intellect.

The true answer lies in one's journey and experience.

Negative feelings and emotions against others have a strong hold on self. Perversion has a particularly strong hold because it involves actually enjoying the pain and suffering of others. People are blissfully unaware they are being enslaved by a vicious energy.

It is almost humanly impossible to come out of it and needs the intervention or the laws of God.

Ironically i think God has to take a human form with human capabilities to realize negative energy fully though He has an intuitive understanding of it. The feminine aspect is fully aware though as it is the source of change.

The practical insights into maya helps the masculine aspect to better and better fathom the feminine aspect and understand the depth of love of the feminine aspect.

I believe the love of masculine aspect is open whereas that of feminine aspect is concealed in accordance with the intrinsic nature of both. And the great saga of finding it out.

So i believe brahman takes human form to experience maya first hand and practically understand it.

Last edited:
This question can be answered as

1) Yes
2) No
3) May be
4) I don't know

All 4 are right if the answer comes from the intellect.

The true answer lies in one's journey and experience.
Well said. You can't convince others about existence of God by logic. But you will know for sure when you have the right experience.

The use of force, negative use of Intelligence and spiritual power will be allowed to its extreme so that the strength of harmony is fully tested. Also explains the existence of so much negativity. But by design positive energy triumphs eventually.

The pain and suffering of the body and mind is for the elevation of soul. Spiritually capable people are better able to cope up with their good defence system. Selfish people retaliate with offence as a coping up mechanism which is less desirable even in their own interest. But selfish people exist with a purpose and that is for the use of negativity.

This topic is not valid without defining GOD first.

God (Brahman)
The highest and absolute God of Hinduism goes by many personal and impersonal names. However, in the Vedas he is mostly described as Self (atma or atman) or Supreme Self (paramatma) or Lord (Isvara) or Brahman. He has numerous manifestations, forms and functions. The Vedic Supreme God or Being who is without a beginning and without an end contains within himself all possibilities and realities. While his absolute reality is stable and permanent, his projected realities are impermanent and subject to modifications. Although for convenience we may consider him male, in reality he is without any specific gender and without any distinguishable form or feature, and usually mentioned as That (Tat).

The Upanishads affirm that he is indescribable, incomprehensible, indestructible, and beyond the mind and the senses, whose nature is bliss, who represents indivisible oneness, who is perfection, completeness and fulfilment personified and who exists in all beings as their very Self, and in whom all exist. He is the paramatman (the transcendental Supreme self), the source and creator of all. For the mortal beings who seek liberation, he is also the highest goal (paranadhama). As the material and efficient cause of creation, he brings forth all the worlds and beings from himself, using his own materiality and dynamic energy (Prakriti).

In his purest state, as Nirguna Brahman, he is without qualities (lakshanas), modes (gunas), dualities (dvanda), names and forms (nama rupa). However, in his manifested state as Isvara (Lord) or Saguna Brahman, he assumes numerous names and forms, qualities, colors, divisions and dualities. As the creator, he becomes all the diversity and objectivity which become manifested in the higher and lower worlds. Although we may see him as other than us or different from us due to our egoism, delusion and ignorance, in his absolute reality everything is Self or a projection of Self. His creation arises from him as a temporary projection or formation, just as the reflection of the sun or the sky in the water or the appearance of a film upon a screen.

I believe in Advaita Brahman, do I believe in an active god? Not really. I do believe in Mahavakya so in that respect everything is brahman.

f you ask the educated man or woman in the street, or in a church, what they mean by ‘God’, they will probably say something like this: God is the infinite personal Being who has created the universe, whom religious people worship and to whom they pray, and who has the power, when He (or She) so decides, to intervene in human affairs in response to our prayerful requests. And so in church we pray for world peace, for the victims of flood, earthquake, famine, war and other disasters, that the rulers of the nations may have wisdom and, in a Church of England service, for the health and well being of the Queen and the royal family; and we pray privately for ourselves and our own family and friends, especially those in any special need or danger. Thus God is seen as an active all-powerful force who is motivated by a limitless love, tempered by justice, and who has knowledge and wisdom infinitely surpassing our own. When our prayers are not answered, this is because God always knows better than we do, and indeed knows infallibly, what is the best thing to do or refrain from doing.

I think this is a fair depiction of the concept of God that operates today in western society, and has operated for many centuries. It applies to Jews and Muslims as well as to Christians, and it applies to atheists as much as to theists. This is the ‘God’ whom people wholeheartedly or tentatively believe in, and equally whom people wholeheartedly or tentatively believe not to exist, and whom Nietzsche declared to be dead.

This concept of God can be described as anthropomorphic. That is to say, God is a being like ourselves in the fundamental respect that we are both – God and ourselves - persons. But whereas we are finite, created, dependent persons, God is an infinite, eternal, uncreated and omnipotent Person. Some theologians, uncomfortable with such an explicitly anthropomorphic characterization, say that God is not a person, but rather is personal. But this is a distinction without a difference. We cannot conceive of a personal being who is not a person. And we know what a person is only because we are ourselves persons. God, then, is like us – or rather we are like God – in this very basic respect.

In monotheistic thought, God is usually conceived of as the supreme being, creator, and principal object of faith. God is usually conceived of as being omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omnibenevolent as well as having an eternal and necessary existence. God is most often held to be incorporeal, with said characteristic being related to conceptions of transcendence or immanence.

Some religions describe God without reference to gender, while others use terminology that is gender-specific and gender-biased. God has been conceived as either personal or impersonal. In theism, God is the creator and sustainer of the universe, while in deism, God is the creator, but not the sustainer, of the universe. In pantheism, God is the universe itself. Atheism is an absence of belief in any God or deity, while agnosticism deems the existence of God unknown or unknowable. God has also been conceived as the source of all moral obligation, and the "greatest conceivable existent". Many notable philosophers have developed arguments for and against the existence of God.

Each monotheistic religion refers to its god using different names, some referring to cultural ideas about the god's identity and attributes. In ancient Egyptian Atenism, possibly the earliest recorded monotheistic religion, this deity was called Aten Bible, the titles of God include Elohim (God), Adonai (Lord) and others, and the name YHWH. The names Yahweh and Jehovah, possible vocalizations of YHWH, are used in Christianity. In Judaism some of the Hebrew titles of God are considered holy names. In the Christian doctrine of the Trinity, one God coexists in three "persons" called the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In Islam, the title God ("Allah" in the Arabic language) is often used as a name, while Muslims also use a multitude of other titles for God. In Hinduism, Brahman is often considered a monistic concept of God.[8] In Chinese religion, Shangdi is conceived as the progenitor (first ancestor) of the universe, intrinsic to it and constantly bringing order to it. Other names for God include Baha in the Baháʼí Faith,[9] Waheguru in Sikhism, Ahura Mazda in Zoroastrianism, Hayyi Rabbi in Mandaeism, and Sang Hyang Widhi Wasa in Balinese Hinduism.

All mighty supreme god who created this world doesnt exist . I have gone through all major religion book in world . Each book contradict itself. Osho was right although he is fake

All mighty supreme god who created this world doesnt exist . I have gone through all major religion book in world . Each book contradict itself. Osho was right although he is fake
From my experience the real fakes and pseudo knowledge people are the scientists. The word science has been given such a hallowed meaning that people think it is the ultimate knowledge. Nothing can be farther from truth. The scientists are only partly to blame mainly for their one track mind and the main problem is what they study turns out not to be the ultimate reality.

This is what Sangomji wrote:

I think the most important message is "the real truth is that any one of us can be a God to somebody."

We are all having the power of god within us but we don't realize. Man-made religions have led humans astray for millenia and fed humanity with ideas of a god separate from Man himself, Allah, Jesus, Jehova, Krishna, Narayana and so on. All these are imaginations and the real god is within each one of us, and, if only we want, we can be a god to anyone anytime.

एकं सद्विप्रा नैव जानन्ति ।

कबीर के दोहे Kabir ke dohe in hindi​

ज्यों तिल माहि तेल है, ज्यों चकमक में आग ।
तेरा साईं तुझ ही में है, जाग सके तो जाग ।

भावार्थ: कबीर दास जी कहते हैं जैसे तिल के अंदर तेल होता है, और आग के अंदर रौशनी होती है ठीक वैसे ही हमारा ईश्वर हमारे अंदर ही विद्धमान है, अगर ढूंढ सको तो ढूढ लो।

jyon til maahi tel hai jyon chakamak mein aag .
tera saaim tujh hi mein hai, jaag sake to jaag

bhaavaarth: kabir daas ji kahate hain jaise til ke andar tel hota hai, aur aag ke andar raushani hoti hai t hik vaise hi hamaara ishvar hamaare andar hi viddhamaan hai, agar dhoond sako to dhood h lo

A simple question.
Our parents exists hence we exist.
The donor DNA in cloning exists hence a being is born.

Now lets try to go back in time to the original source of existence.

Something is running the whole system we are experiencing.

That something must be logically eternal sans a beginning nor an end.

That something has no name yet it projects all names.

That THAT is what we experience as GOD.

Doesnt need rocket science to figure it out.

Even a cow will know some big time supercow was its eternal ancestor.

So does GOD exists?
Well, yes if you want to call THAT as GOD.

No, if you dont want to call THAT as GOD but the fact its eternally existing whether you acknowledge it or not.

Honestly Gurus should leave options open and not blatanly deny God ..they should at least give a paradoxical answer as to not misguide people.

A simple question.
Our parents exists hence we exist.
The donor DNA in cloning exists hence a being is born.

Now lets try to go back in time to the original source of existence.

Something is running the whole system we are experiencing.

That something must be logically eternal sans a beginning nor an end.

That something has no name yet it projects all names.

That THAT is what we experience as GOD.

Doesnt need rocket science to figure it out.

Even a cow will know some big time supercow was its eternal ancestor.

So does GOD exists?
Well, yes if you want to call THAT as GOD.

No, if you dont want to call THAT as GOD but the fact its eternally existing whether you acknowledge it or not.

Honestly Gurus should leave options open and not blatanly deny God ..they should at least give a paradoxical answer as to not misguide people.
Super cow is ordinary ancestor cow . Not a cowgod which run cow universe . Unless proven nothing can be fact .

From my experience the real fakes and pseudo knowledge people are the scientists. The word science has been given such a hallowed meaning that people think it is the ultimate knowledge. Nothing can be farther from truth. The scientists are only partly to blame mainly for their one track mind and the main problem is what they study turns out not to be the ultimate rreali

Not scientist but founder of religion is fake people who use it as tool to control people and to keep resources to themselves. Science benefited human more than god

Dear Suresh,

Even knowledge of science is falsifiable. Nothing is proven. People take different sides according to their inclinations. The best thing to do is to show atleast a modicum of respect for others point of view and not totally put it down.

Last edited:
Can we use the same parameter to say like i am richest man in the world ? By that can you lend me usd 1 million dollar . So are you willing to lend me ?
Suresh ji,
Its totally fine if you feel God doesnt exists because its all about experience.
You surely at least feel that something exists beyond our perception.

At least Energy exists.

So you can also say there is none but Energy.

But it wont be logical to believe that it's only one way or the highway.

I personally feel there is something more than just what we perceive.

There is a Force and a Source.
I call it GOD but I dont expect everyone to feel the same.

Also our perception changes over time.
You could one day feel GOD exists and may be God forbid one day I might think like you too.

Renuka,

People are very attached to their views. Very difficult to make them appreciate an opposing perspective. As long as it is harmless it is fine. Let people have their own views without trying to forcefully impose theirs on others.

Suresh ji,
Its totally fine if you feel God doesnt exists because its all about experience.
You surely at least feel that something exists beyond our perception.

At least Energy exists.

So you can also say there is none but Energy.

But it wont be logical to believe that it's only one way or the highway.

I personally feel there is something more than just what we perceive.

There is a Force and a Source.
I call it GOD but I dont expect everyone to feel the same.

Also our perception changes over time.
You could one day feel GOD exists and may be God forbid one day I might think like you
Yes , i can agree energy exist . But is not divine and asked to worshipped

Latest ads

Back