• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does drinking water after sneezing removes bad luck while leaving home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! It is a common practice in many households. One drinks water if he / she sneezes, hears someone sneeze, trips the
leg in a carpet or even sees 'oththai brahmaNan' while coming out of the house! :decision:

Just wondering - does one need to dring water on seeing a 'oththai NB' or 'Oththai Suththiran' while coming out of the house!!??

Dear Members

Oh, very good! Never thought that one brahmin would pit against another! (Really!!! :))

So a 'oththai brahmanan' is considered so.. inaspicious, even among brahmins?

வாழ்க பிராமின்ஸ்

Smt. Valli,

While "oththai braahmanan" is bad sakunam, "reTTai brahmanarkaL" is very auspicious. And so is a corpse, and a prostitute is................a good omen!

So, shall we exclaim, வாழ்க corpses, வாழ்க prostitutes!

Dear Shri Sangom

And so is a corpse, and a prostitute is................a good omen!

So, shall we exclaim, வாழ்க corpses, வாழ்க prostitutes!
:)

Maybe we can say வாழ்க superstitions!:)

Cheers!

So if you are leaving house at 4:25 on a sunday to beat the Rahu Kalam to catch a train at 6:30pm and a "oththai braahmanan" walks towards you, which one you ignore?

I personally do not believe in either of the superstitious. Then again how will I know the caste of the person walking in the street? LOL

I think a single brahmin (presumably representing the dead person)comes to the house,cooks his own food on the eleventh day ritual
and leaves the house.Except the 'kartha' doing the 13 day ceremonies and the purohit who conduct the ceremony, none sees that single brahmin.In fact, a brahmin(mostly from India)who went to Nepal on the 11th day ritual of deceased Royal family members of NEPAL and ate the food was not allowed to return to Nepal.If at all people notice such a person in Nepal subsequently,he will be stoned to death.
Over a period of time,all single brahmins were considered inauspicious.
Such 'mooda nambikkai' do exist in all faiths.

Last edited:
.......... Such 'mooda nambikkai' do exist in all faiths.
You are right Sir! One example is walking under a ladder, in some countries!

When we were young, my father (doctor) received a chart to show what all treatments are believed to cure common cold.

I remember a few funny treatments.

1. Rubbing a snake (!!) three times on the throat.

2. Rubbing a cat nine times on the throat.

3. Placing a frog on the tongue seven times. (
OMG! Who can do it?)

4. Swallowing a whole egg!

I don't remember the countries that follow these superstitions but the pictures are still fresh in my mind.

And, everyone knows that common cold will be cured just in ONE week, if we take medicines and will take seven LONG days

if we do not take any medicine!! :sick:

So if you are leaving house at 4:25 on a sunday to beat the Rahu Kalam to catch a train at 6:30pm and a "oththai braahmanan" walks towards you, which one you ignore?

I personally do not believe in either of the superstitious. Then again how will I know the caste of the person walking in the street? LOL

Dear Prasad,

Five minutes is ample time to drink a glass of water and rush outside! May be we can change the time as 4.29!!

Unless one wears panchakachcham and sports a 'kudumi', it is difficult to distinguish a brahmin. But, some DO have a natural

'thEjas' and can be spotted easily with their 'vibudhi' or 'nAmam' mark, though!

FYI, if God is in our favour, Rahu kAlam is no big deal! I believe in 'Shakthi VinAyakar' and paid the IIT application fee to our

neice who was studying there, at 5 pm on a Sunday! Later on he got into IIT with a good rank, graduated, got admission in MIT

Boston and is doing well now.

Regards..........

prasad1,

The arsenal for the sperstitious is immense. You can beat the sakunam by coming back inside home, taking a seat, sipping a bit of curd/buttermilk, and then starting again. So, if you have 5 minutes for RK to commence, you can 'beat' both oththai brahmanan and rahu with that drop of curd!

prasad1,

The arsenal for the sperstitious is immense. You can beat the sakunam by coming back inside home, taking a seat, sipping a bit of curd/buttermilk, and then starting again. So, if you have 5 minutes for RK to commence, you can 'beat' both oththai brahmanan and rahu with that drop of curd!

There is no black-magic in our vedic/dharma based living. The reason for avoiding brahmanAs is that they would be going out for an important work, so one should just not interrupt or hinder their kAryam. People overtime forgot the reason and stuck to the dry action/sentiment.

So, does the case of slipping/tripping/dropping etc. while leaving, means one is emotional or hurried, so dringking some water/alkaline buttermilk, would calm them down and would not make some grave mistakes/accidents on their way/journey.

Overtime, people just lost their reason and stick to dry rules, which seem like supertitions. Wow! We dont want to blame our lack of reasoning!!!

There is no black-magic in our vedic/dharma based living. The reason for avoiding brahmanAs is that they would be going out for an important work, so one should just not interrupt or hinder their kAryam. People overtime forgot the reason and stuck to the dry action/sentiment.

So, does the case of slipping/tripping/dropping etc. while leaving, means one is emotional or hurried, so dringking some water/alkaline buttermilk, would calm them down and would not make some grave mistakes/accidents on their way/journey.

Overtime, people just lost their reason and stick to dry rules, which seem like supertitions. Wow! We dont want to blame our lack of reasoning!!!

dear govinda,

do you have any reference for this explanation. i would appreciate if you could share it with us. i would like to pass this on to others, and would not want to be accused of 'just making this up' :)

That makes sense, and does not sound like superstition at all. Thanks Govinda.

But that does not answer the question of why it is 'oththai brahmanan'. If you should not hinder his work what about others? Secondly how do I know he is on an important mission? Why should my important work be less important than others?

What possible reason be for wasting 1.5 hours (and may be more) of every day as inauspicious?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back