• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Do we follow some norms and ethics in this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Raghy
Brahmins may have eaten NV in the past. We live in the present. Many may still eat as what people eat is their business. I only took exception for the fact that the other NB who got married may himself not be a Non-vegetarian. I know of many vegetarian non brahmins. I agree that you were only giving option. I would like to close the matter and not drag it any further. I did not respond at the same page as I could not find it. I combined a few issues and put a thread. If I have offended you, I am sorry as I have no intention to do so. As far other comments, I have all the respects for their opinions.
Greetings.

Do we follow some norms and ethics in this forum ?

Dear Mr Ramamurthy,

You have raised some pertinent queries in this thread. My answer is same as that of Mr KRS. " A 'Brahmin' is not a Brahmin anymore". I fully agree with him.
I am a septuagenarian and been a member of "Tamil Brahmins"from 12.12.2006. Initially I was enthusiastically participating in the discussions in various threads. But as the years passed I felt that most of the discussions in the forum were turning into academic debates,based on our scriptures and past social fabric, nothing much of practical use to present day Brahmins, who have changed a lot. I may be wrong in my presumption. But this has dampened my enthusiasm very much.
Well, the Moderators of the Forum also judged me correctly, initially they evaluated me as a Junior member, then a senior member and Patron. Now I am just a "member" again. My thanks to them.
Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Critics can open a seperate forum for themselves and invite like minded to discuss what all they think is good for todays living of TB. Let them not cross plough.In this forum usefull things are discussed and I am proud that I learned a lot of our traditionnal values.Please don"t put drop of poison in a pot of milk.With deeply wounded soul.Forgive if any one is hurt and is not posted with that sense.

wrongan,

i do not understand what you mean by 'put drop of poison in a pot of milk' to raghy's post. raghy has provided us with the benefit of his views and experience, enriching as they are, to him and a certain other folks.

i would think it is presumptuous of you to comment in strong terms of honey & milk to such a point of view that differs from yours or what you think a 'brahmin' is or should be.

when we look at our own lifestyles, and compare those with that of our grandparents, perhaps we have 50% commonality? just imagine your grandfather, suddenly parachuted into today's world - and comment on your life for one day. changes, they are constantly happening - some of us, adapt quickly, and flow in with the winds, others resist and depending on the resistance sway to the force of the breeze like the proverbial palm tree. a few of us, stand steadfast like the ஆலமரம் , upright and stiff, till a stronger wind blows, and crashes us down to the earth, dead.

it is upto each of us, to follow a lifestyle that suits us. but not for any of us, to mock others, or adopt a self righteous attitude of milk & poison.

hope this explains...

Dear Mr Ramamurthy,

You have raised some pertinent queries in this thread. My answer is same as that of Mr KRS. " A 'Brahmin' is not a Brahmin anymore". I fully agree with him.
I am a septuagenarian and been a member of "Tamil Brahmins"from 12.12.2006. Initially I was enthusiastically participating in the discussions in various threads. But as the years passed I felt that most of the discussions in the forum were turning into academic debates,based on our scriptures and past social fabric, nothing much of practical use to present day Brahmins, who have changed a lot. I may be wrong in my presumption. But this has dampened my enthusiasm very much.
Well, the Moderators of the Forum also judged me correctly, initially they evaluated me as a Junior member, then a senior member and Patron. Now I am just a "member" again. My thanks to them.
Regards,
Brahmanyan.

brahmanyan,

welcome back dear sir. good to see your mugshot with a dear little girl, your daughter i presume ;)

i think you do this forum a wee bit of injustice, when you say that 'most of the discussions in the forum were turning into academic debates,based on our scriptures and past social fabric, nothing much of practical use to present day Brahmins, who have changed a lot. '

i think this forum caters to the world tamil brahmin, each with his or her own agenda, but many of the group with the same objective.

i tend to bypass the forums that discuss scriptures because i know nothing of it. current TB issues and lifestyles are my objects of interests. but there is a place here for both, and many other more topics.

thanks largely to self moderation of late, we have not had the moderators intervene much, which speaks very highly not only of the members, but their calibre and also attachment to this forum/community.

welcome back and hope to see more of you here.

ps..i was only kidding re the pix. i can see the proud handle of a grandfather with his beloved granddaughter. God Bless.

... If I have offended you, I am sorry as I have no intention to do so. As far other comments, I have all the respects for their opinions.
Hi,

I see this regularly, "If I have offended you...."

Just having a different view does not mean one has taken offense. If someone takes offense for having a different POV, then they need to grow up, they don't deserve an apology, and their dubious or inflated sense of self worth must not be encouraged with a ready-to-go apology.

Cheers!

Hi,

I see this regularly, "If I have offended you...."

Just having a different view does not mean one has taken offense. If someone takes offense for having a different POV, then they need to grow up, they don't deserve an apology, and their dubious or inflated sense of self worth must not be encouraged with a ready-to-go apology.

Cheers!

i agree with nara.

it is also a double edged sword, i think. it means vis a vis, the person who 'apologizes' is warning about his thin skin or himalayan sized ego. let us write politely and stick to topics without discussing people.

Dear Mr Ramamurthy,

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Ji,

I am glad to see that you seem to be still reading the posts here. Sri Praveen Ji has indeed created a Forum where all of us, irrespective of our ilk, most conservative to most liberal can exchange our views.

You and I have had our differences of views, but we have always respected each other. Professor Nara, who I consider as a noble soul but with wrong ideas, espouses very radical ideas about our clan, but then I appreciate those views in the sense that they are made with deep convictions on his part. I have only problem with those, who clearly have an agenda, who attempt to rewrite history, present themselves to be the saviour of our clan.

Any Forum needs a good and neutral moderation. Participants can not moderate a Forum, by the very fact that each comes to the Forum with an agenda. When you lose some valuable members of the Forum because of lack of moderation from a central perspective, then, in my opinion, it is not good for the Forum.

I have seen somew folks here using four letter words and I have no idea why the two folks who are the current admins do not moderate!

I firmly believe that a few folks in this Forum have an agenda to steer this Forum towards a philosophy that suited their own and have found a way to make it happen. Just a theory.

But sir, do not worry about what thius forum calls you. I for one, would always appreciate your input.

Regards,
KRS

Each and every participants in this forum comes with a mindset and try to push their agenda. If they are unable to push their agenda, they complain that somebody else is trying to push their agenda or philosophies.

In a global forum of a particular community, there is bound to be differences based on geographical considerations.

Even within India, outlook of our own community in cities like Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai may be different. Chennai may be very conservative as compared to the other two cities.

Again our own community members in Kerala and Tamilnadu may have differences on certain issues. For example our own community in Kerala doesn't bother about sub-caste whereas certain sections in Tamilnadu still insist on sub-caste.

The differences will be there when we discuss with people living outside India particularly from western countries.

As long as everyone respects others point of view, there won't be any problem. If that is not happening, then problems will definitely crop up

All the best

Last edited:

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,

First let me thank you for the "compliments", I am just 72 years older to my beloved seven year old grand daughter in the Photo.:)
Well, As you know I am not against discussions on our Scriptures or old values of our Social life in our Forum. But that has very minimal practical value in the present changed Social life of Brahmins. Further I am scared of debates, some of which end in ultimate devolution of ethics in writing in a public forum like ours. I wish I am wrong, but it is the truth.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Ji,

I am glad to see that you seem to be still reading the posts here. Sri Praveen Ji has indeed created a Forum where all of us, irrespective of our ilk, most conservative to most liberal can exchange our views.

You and I have had our differences of views, but we have always respected each other. Professor Nara, who I consider as a noble soul but with wrong ideas, espouses very radical ideas about our clan, but then I appreciate those views in the sense that they are made with deep convictions on his part. I have only problem with those, who clearly have an agenda, who attempt to rewrite history, present themselves to be the saviour of our clan.

Any Forum needs a good and neutral moderation. Participants can not moderate a Forum, by the very fact that each comes to the Forum with an agenda. When you lose some valuable members of the Forum because of lack of moderation from a central perspective, then, in my opinion, it is not good for the Forum.

I have seen some folks here using four letter words and I have no idea why the two folks who are the current admins do not moderate!

I firmly believe that a few folks in this Forum have an agenda to steer this Forum towards a philosophy that suited their own and have found a way to make it happen. Just a theory.

But sir, do not worry about what this forum calls you. I for one, would always appreciate your input.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Mr KRS,

Namaskaram.

Thank you for your continued regard for me. I for one always value your opinion high, even if some of them may not fit in my line of thinking.

Yes. We are individuals and I appreciate differences among the individuals which are natural. But when some one like to discuss genuine issue concerning the present day Brahmins, I feel it is only fair to discuss the issue and find a solution if any, available in present day social structure. I am yet to be convinced how far debates will come to help.

Usage of language needs moderation, either by self or by the official moderators, otherwise good people may migrate out from the Forum.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan.

I think we all owe Praveen a great big hug and smother him with all of our affections.After his marriage,i doubt we will get around him :) .I think who ever is behind moderation,is doing an awesome job of managing a diverse populace of tambrahms flung all over the world.all in all,its a nice forum which is practical and down to earth,with its participants,giving apt knowledgeable answeres,to most if not all queries.i say hip hip hurray ladies,gentlemen :)

... Professor Nara, who I consider as a noble soul but with wrong ideas, espouses very radical ideas about our clan, but then I appreciate those views in the sense that they are made with deep convictions on his part.

Dear Shri KRS,

I can't ask for a better complement, much appreciated.

Shri Brahmanyan laments about academic debates about scriptures and issues that have no relevance to present day life. While I do sympathize with this a little bit, I am unable to agree that academic debates of any kind have no practical value. For example, a proper and nuanced understanding of Varna system, the first step in a long journey towards social equality, requires academic debate.

If we cross academic debate and practical action in a 2x2 matrix, we get four scenarios,

1. no debate -- no action
  2. no debate - action
  3. debate -- no action
  4. debate -- action
Case 1 can be illustrated by what most people will say if asked to explain the difference between ignorance and apathy -- "I don't know and I don't care." (h/t Ralph Nader). I think we don't want this.

Case 2 can only lead to impulsive and rash action that Thiruvalluvar warned against, எண்ணித்துணிக கருமம், துணிந்தபின் எண்ணுவம் என்பது இழுக்கு.

Case 3 is what Shri Brahmanyan's worry is, I think. But IMO, case 3 can and will eventually lead to case 4.

The action in Case 4 may just be a change of heart, a new way of thinking, seeing the world differently, which can be a precursor to positive future action. I would like to regard that as a positive outcome.

To some extent I do share Shri Brahmanyan's apprehension about getting into a debate that soon degenerates into personal insults -- more heat than light type scenario. But I think nothing ventured nothing gained. On the whole, at least in this forum, the chances of having a spirited and yet civil debate is sufficiently high to take the plunge.

Personally, I love to debate, it keeps my ever so few and dwindling brain cells from meeting a premature end.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
its so sad to know,many posters who have here for long time are watching debates from the bench and not active participants.how sensitive we become.thank god,we have more members joinig.the only problem with the new upgrade is the width.need to use the scroll frm left to right,what a pain..:(

Dear Mr KRS,

Namaskaram.

Thank you for your continued regard for me. I for one always value your opinion high, even if some of them may not fit in my line of thinking.

Yes. We are individuals and I appreciate differences among the individuals which are natural. But when some one like to discuss genuine issue concerning the present day Brahmins, I feel it is only fair to discuss the issue and find a solution if any, available in present day social structure. I am yet to be convinced how far debates will come to help.

Usage of language needs moderation, either by self or by the official moderators, otherwise good people may migrate out from the Forum.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Ji,

You are an elder and, so, it is 'paapam' as far as I am concerned to receive any Namaskarams from you. I offer my Namaskarams to you.

We all bring our own perspectives to the Forum, and as such exchange ideas. A Forum of this kind can only make a difference if the members allow it to happen.

Because our membership is so diverse in outlook, it is always a balancing act to keep everyone's interest in mind, without offending the valid sensibilities, if we can. Yet you find that some who profess that they stand for allowing any viewpoint curtailing the viewpoints they do not agree with, exercising their authority position to expel those concerned. And you find some others with monumental egos who think that they are uniting our clans, but at the same time without any dint of sensivity driving away valuable members, because of their singular passion to a cause. So, how do we in such a situation attempt to attract a universal audience? We can not.

Because our tradition is rich, because our past is filled with reverence, because we are so diverse in our thinking even under the umbrella of a 'Brahmin', let alone a Hindu, we come across folks whose sensibilities are so easily trampled upon by those with a cause. So we do not have a few today with us. Because someone thought that espousing RSS philosophy by some is not good, they got banned. And we do not have those ugly, but nevertheless valid voices today. A person who seems to be well educated in our scriptures, yet today screams at a particular clan, generalizing from his own experience with a couple from that clan. He is supposedly a learned member, yet uses filthy and untruthful language.

I am telling you all this to point out a simple fact. It is about the very people who quote the Vedic statements at the end of their postings who trample on the very essence of those sayings. Yet they do not know.

Perhaps, I also do not know.

There in contains the Truth of why it is so difficult to bring any changes to our clans.

Namaskarams,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear Professor,

My comments in 'blue'.

Dear Shri KRS,

I can't ask for a better complement, much appreciated.
Thanks, but my genuine thoughts.

Shri Brahmanyan laments about academic debates about scriptures and issues that have no relevance to present day life. While I do sympathize with this a little bit, I am unable to agree that academic debates of any kind have no practical value. For example, a proper and nuanced understanding of Varna system, the first step in a long journey towards social equality, requires academic debate.
I am with Sri Brahmanyan Ji on this. The seminal question here is not about what is 'right', because what is 'right' in a social context is about evolving civilization. What is wrong today was not wrong in the past in terms of soc ial acceptance. Human right did not evolve till the matching political system like democracy came about.

If we cross academic debate and practical action in a 2x2 matrix, we get four scenarios,

1. no debate -- no action
  2. no debate - action
  3. debate -- no action
  4. debate -- action
Case 1 can be illustrated by what most people will say if asked to explain the difference between ignorance and apathy -- "I don't know and I don't care." (h/t Ralph Nader). I think we don't want this.

Case 2 can only lead to impulsive and rash action that Thiruvalluvar warned against, எண்ணித்துணிக கருமம், துணிந்தபின் எண்ணுவம் என்பது இழுக்கு.

Case 3 is what Shri Brahmanyan's worry is, I think. But IMO, case 3 can and will eventually lead to case 4.

The action in Case 4 may just be a change of heart, a new way of thinking, seeing the world differently, which can be a precursor to positive future action. I would like to regard that as a positive outcome.

I asked you a very personal question when we first met. Do yoy tell your parents that they are wrong (I assumed that they are/were as conservative as my parents were, give a few decades or so to account for for our age difference). If I remember right, your response was that you did not hurt your elders; feelings.

To some extent I do share Shri Brahmanyan's apprehension about getting into a debate that soon degenerates into personal insults -- more heat than light type scenario. But I think nothing ventured nothing gained. On the whole, at least in this forum, the chances of having a spirited and yet civil debate is sufficiently high to take the plunge.
Your statement is valid, as long as the other party has no hidden agenda (I have explained about this elsewhere)

Personally, I love to debate, it keeps my ever so few and dwindling brain cells from meeting a premature end.
This is exactly why I said what I said about you. Unfortunately, I can not say the same about a few of the contrarians in this Forum.

Cheers!

Regards,
KRS

Sri KRS

I noted your statament

"I am telling you all this to point out a simple fact. It is about the very people who quote the Vedic statements at the end of their postings who trample on the very essence of those sayings. Yet they do not know."

I have a permanent quote from Rig Vedha at the end of my postings.

Let me try to understand the meaning of the quote from Rig Vedha

All the best

Last edited:
hi
no comments....silence is the best philosophy.....i did ph.d in sanskrit especially in vedic scriptures.....ignorance is bless in sometimes...

regards
tbs

hi
no comments....silence is the best philosophy.....i did ph.d in sanskrit especially in vedic scriptures.....ignorance is bless in sometimes...

regards
tbs

Thanks for your suggestion Sri TBS,

I shall try to be silent in the future.

All the best

hi RVR sir,
according to RIG VEDA....aano bhadrah yantu krithavo viswataha...Rigveda 1 89 1

meaning in english............
Let Noble Thoughts come to us from all sides’ – Rigveda 1-89-i

regards
tbs

Thread வழவழன்னு பேறதா தெரியல .நறநறன்னு போறது போல தெரியுது தேவை coolant Jambu:nono:

hi RVR sir,
according to RIG VEDA....aano bhadrah yantu krithavo viswataha...Rigveda 1 89 1

meaning in english............
Let Noble Thoughts come to us from all sides’ – Rigveda 1-89-i

regards
tbs
Dear tbs,

The correct rik is

आनो भद्राः क्रतवोयन्तु विश्वतः (A nO bhadrAH kRatavO yantu viSvataH)

hi sangom sir,
thank u so much.....i thought krathavo yantu only...srry for the mistake....

regards
tbs

now i understand,why in past people got banned.lokah sukhino bhavanthu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back