• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Demonetisation: Will it lead to a corruption free India?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chetan Bhagat’s detailed Facebook post explaining demonetisation is a must read!

The author tries to make it easy for people to understand the government's move with his detailed Facebook post.

Published:November 17, 2016 12:02 pm
bhagat759.jpg
The author tries to clarify people’s doubts about the government’s demonetisation process with his Facebook post. (Source: Wikimedia Commons) Everyone, or at least every Indian, has been losing their minds over demonetisation of late. People have been rushing towards the nearest ATMs and banks they can, resulting in long, never-ending queues starting from early morning hours.
In the midst of all this chaos, many took to social media to debate and discuss the issue. Among them, was author Chetan Bhagat, who first took to Twitter with his long rants against demonetisation. He called the government out for its poor execution of what is in fact, a well-meant plan for the people of the country.
Soon he took to Facebook too, but this time, with a detailed, point-by-point deconstruction of what the move is about, the benefits, the disadvantages and the execution. His intention was to give the people a lot more clarity about the unexpected move that was introduced by the PM recently.
Read his entire post here.
“My Take on Demonetization
========================
Many have asked me to give my views on demonetization, suggest any positive ideas and explain the benefits and issues in simple terms. Since it is not possible to do it all in a few tweets. Here is my take on it., both the MOVE itself as well as the EXECUTION of it.
THE MOVE:
Benefits:
1) It shows government’s seriousness to tackle black money. This signaling effect alone is a huge benefit to the nation where many evade taxes.
2) It will ensure a significant part of the black money gets back to the government. It’s not true that nobody gains from the money burnt/thrown away. (See next point)
3) The old money not swapped in banks is effectively the government’s Profit. Say 17 lakh crs of total money existed in old notes, and only 13 lakh crores comes back. For remaining 4 lakh crores, the government can print new notes, and keep it themselves. Hence, the government does stand to make a lot of money in this (which can be then used for people)
4) It’s nice to see a PM who works, has innovative ideas and wants to make a change. We have had leaders who sat quietly and did little. It is good to see a man of action.
At the same time, like any policy, there are some issues.
Issues:
1) Execution of such an exercise in India is no joke. We just aren’t technically ready to do this in a smooth manner. (That is why we are facing some execution issues, which I get into later.)
2) There are some tricks still people can use to swap black money into new money. It will reduce the amount of black money recovered.
3) There is a huge cash economy in India. It isn’t ‘black’. It’s just cash. To suck up so much liquidity will lead to a slowdown and losses for a lot of people, for no fault of their own. The slowdown in economic activity will cause lower profits, and in turn lower taxes for the government.
4) A potential crash in real estate prices. While some want property prices to fall, a huge drop can cause an economic shock, reduction in bank collateral values etc., again leading to a recession.
5) The exercise by definition involves everyone swapping their money after showing their credentials. In effect, everyone has to prove they are innocent and have clean money. This is somewhat invasive to citizens, and while there is no other way, it remains an issue.
6) The exercise would be expensive, and that cost needs to be taken into account.
7) It’s a jolt to our stable monetary system. Doing it again and again will cause people to lose confidence in our currency. It’s really a one-off, and even that destabliizes things.
8) The tax department may use it as an excuse to harass people later, with endless questioning about the extra bank entries.
Net Effect:
Overall, demonetization is a good move. Given the extent of black money in the country, and the tiny taxpayer base, something had to be done. It had to be drastic. It has been done now. We should now do what it takes to make it succeed.
THE EXECUTION:
As important as an idea is it’s execution. There clearly have been execution issues, causing pain to a lot of Indians who have wasted a lot of productive time in queues. While doing things for the nation is good, one need not have to suffer because of bad planning or someone not thinking things through. The good and bad of the execution are:
Good:
1. It’s happening, and still the country is chugging along. Banks across the country are slow, but doing their bit. There is no mass hunger, or calamity so far. Thank God.
2. Government is taking steps to ease the pain. The change in limits helps. The banks are also devising ways to manage the crowds.
3. People in India are on the whole, taking it well.
Bad:
1. Someone didn’t plan the logistics well – it is one thing to make an excel spreadsheet of number of bank branches and the people involved. It is quite another to when you deal with India’s reality on the ground. There are bottlenecks galore in this exercise – whether printing of notes, uncaliberated ATMs, or limits to the number of cash vans. One can say whatever about the secrecy required, but it seems that while finance professionals sat and spoke up in the meetings, industrial engineers and operations research experts probably did not to the extent required. We are seeing the fallout now.
2. Citizens do not have to take so much pain. Inconvenience is one thing, suffering quite another. To say bear it in the name of patriotism is not listening to the issue – the execution is not efficient. It is the same as how people say – “Oh, the temple is dirty, bear it in the name of God.” Sorry, God had nothing to do with it. The temple management didn’t keep the temple clean. Same ways, patriotism has nothing to do with the fact that someone didn’t plan the ATMs better or didn’t make the new 500-Rs note available early.
FINAL CONCLUSION AND IDEAS FOR SMOOTH EXECUTION:
In final analysis, we should support demonetization, but keep reminding the government to iron out the execution issues. Some ideas:
1. Online appointment booking for banks.
2. Easy forms, which can be pre-filled. Faster check-outs at banks.
3. Hiring interns at banks for short term, supervised by existing employees.
4. Opening banks 24 X 7 after new hires come in.
5. Supplying enough notes to banks as fast as possible.
6. Fixing the ATMs
7. Declaring one or two holidays (not for banks!) for people to get their finances in order
8. Removing withdrawal limits as fast as possible.
9. Having empathy for people in lines, from the highest levels of government.
10. Giving an incentive to people to come to the bank. A meal coupon would go a long way too.
I hope the above helps you understand demonetization better. I also hope you focus on the making the exercise work, which means supporting the idea and yet demanding better execution. It also means not to get sucked into any propaganda or political drama.
Do share with others if you think this will help people get some clarity on what is going on and what needs to be done.
God bless.
Thanks, love and Jai Hind,
Chetan Bhagat”

This is his Facebook post.

http://indianexpress.com/article/tr...aining-demonetisation-is-a-must-read-4379832/

Last edited:
Just to disprove the opinion expressed in Opening Post.
In a case that has baffled authorities, two Gujarat port trust officials have been arrested for receiving bribe amounting to nearly Rs 3 lakh entirely in the newly launched Rs 2,000 currency.
According to reports, another Rs 40,000 was confiscated from one of their homes.
The two officials, Superintending Engineer P Srinivasu and Sub Divisional officer K Komtekar of the Kandla Port Trust, were trapped in a well laid out by the Anti-Corruption Bureau. The two officers reportedly sought a sum of Rs 4.4 lakh as bribe from a private electrical firm to clear pending bills.
The bureau which was alerted by the said firm, apprehended an agent representing the two men receiving a bribe of Rs 2.5 lakh.
An additional sum of Rs 40,000 was also recovered from Srinivasu’s home. He later confessed to the ACB that the money was balance of the deal. Authorities are trying to work out the source of the payment.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...th-rs-3-lakh-worth-bribe-in-new-currency.html

What happened to the dream of corruption free India?

What happened to the dream of corruption free India?

There is no magic wand to do this overnight.

It is seventy years looting..

Atleast we have a PM now who initiated a war against graft, BlackMoney and fake currency abetting terrorim.

Government will continue cleansing system.

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY

Modi Bashers should realise that such bold measures are initiated with a noble aim there will be initial suffering. And the trouble is worth.

The Supreme Court has rightly lauded the aim of demonetisation but wanted steps to be taken to ease the problem faced by general public.

Such problems are attended to one by one and are getting resolved gradually.

Till such time, responsible citizens need to support such surgical war against Black Money, Corruption, etc instead of sounding hue and cry.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no magic wand to do this overnight.

It is seventy years looting..

Atleast we have a PM now who initiated a war against graft, BlackMoney and fake currency abetting terrorim.

Government will continue cleansing system.

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY

Modi Bashers should realise that such bold measures are initiated with a noble aim there will be initial suffering. And the trouble is worth.

The Supreme Court has rightly lauded the aim of demonetisation but wanted steps to be taken to ease the problem faced by general public.

Such problems are attended to one by one and are getting resolved gradually.

Till such time, responsible citizens need to support such surgical war against Black Money, Corruption, etc instead of sounding hue and cry.

In the earlier UPA regimes whistleblowers feared for their lives...Atleast now people have got the guts to whine and complain!

Baluji,
You have a nasty habit of treating people as with you or against you. The world is not black or white, It is rainbow. There are various colors. If i are someone else gives an opinion contrary to your opinion, you jump into attack mode. A criticism of an implementation of Modi government policy is not attack on your alter ego. We are adult and can have opposing views. But you assume that person is your enemy, even though they might have reservation about a policy. You start calling names "modi basher", "Delhiwala", or out of touch etc.
In another thread you were educating me about statistics, as if I was a kindergartner. When I showed my credential you got all uppity and called me a showoff.
I do not know your background, but the way you come across these post, it might be interpreted as gestapo tactics.
I have written to you that you are my friend, but as a friend I need to point out that your style is grating and very ruff. Take it easy.

Across India, the one conversation that unites everybody is cash—or, rather, the shortage of it. Politicians are making hay while cash fails to shine even as Modi sarkar squirms in the spotlight it created for itself by demonetizing Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 notes last week. What the government thought was a masterstroke to win brownie points with the poor and middle classes is now getting it brickbats as angry queues snake out of bank branches and ATMs.

The truth is Indians are not as opposed to corruption and black money as the publicity material put out by Anna Hazare and Arvind Kejriwal in 2011 seemed to suggest. We are merely against the rich having a ball with the illegal hoards they generate. Most Indians envy the rich, but if given half a chance, they would be happy to receive a share of the loot rather than diss corruption. This is why convicted politicians get re-elected as long as they are seen as benevolently corrupt. The late Samuel Huntington, in his book Political Order in Changing Societies, observed that the poor accept political corruption as the route to their own economic advancement. What our political system has effectively done is create an alternative route to poverty alleviation for some people based on black money. Cash is the inevitable consequence of such a patronage-based economy.

The long queues outside banks attest to the fact that too many Indians are comfortable with holding physical cash. The main characteristic of cash is that it makes black money indistinguishable from white. So when cash is short, it disrupts. This is why even with 25 crore Jan Dhan accounts, millions of e-wallets and crores of credit and debit cards in circulation, small businesses, kirana shops, vegetable vendors, autos, cabbies, transport operators and small restaurants everywhere are reporting a serious drop in business. They are being disrupted not by lack of money or demand, but an overdependence on cash.
http://www.dnaindia.com/analysis/column-we-re-all-snorting-cash-here-2274161

Baluji,

You have a nasty habit of treating people as with you or against you. The world is not black or white, It is rainbow. There are various colors. If i are someone else gives an opinion contrary to your opinion, you jump into attack mode. A criticism of an implementation of Modi government policy is not attack on your alter ego. We are adult and can have opposing views. But you assume that person is your enemy, even though they might have reservation about a policy. You start calling names "modi basher", "Delhiwala", or out of touch etc.

In another thread you were educating me about statistics, as if I was a kindergartner. When I showed my credential you got all uppity and called me a showoff.

I do not know your background, but the way you come across these post, it might be interpreted as gestapo tactics.
I have written to you that you are my friend, but as a friend I need to point out that your style is grating and very ruff. Take it easy.

Prasad Ji,

While you have every right to comment about content of my text, try to understand that you no right to comment about my habits.That is a nasty thing which you assume and practice.

You have every liberty to criticize Modi Government policies and I have every right to support Government’s schemes.

The Forum is a place where everyone is free to put forth his views.

Being friends does not mean that I should always agree with you.

And I am least bothered about background of others in the Forum which is nothing to do with my postings. But

I can find few come here to brag through out and as I know the world is a rainbow with different colours, I enjoy such texts with all tolerance.

You have been here for a long time and you need no tutorial on replying to threads. When there is a thread on a particular topic, some one just make an entry and shoots a sweeping statement without any ground. There is no justification at all and there is no discussion point by point. A sweeping statement like all lies, all dubious, etc etc and in that thread you just made a similar statement that Statistics have proved wrong the surveys. And have miserably failed to answer my subsequent queries.

I used to go through your replies to Mr. Xarang and have a fair knowledge about the tenor and your style which was equally grating and very ruff. And your coming here to advice me something surprising.

I am just trying to hone my skills in replying. Thanks for the suggestions. Last but not least I love to hate advice from others. Relax!

But this is what happens most of the times. LOL
cool.png

526768.png

8a6b99ad1a10b41e187059dc24b9fd71.jpg

Source: Google images

Will people bear the inconvenience for 6 months? Hope our able PM is able to tide over the crisis!! As I said earlier printing of currencies could have started much earlier than September'16 as mentioned in some news

Modi May Need Six More Months to Replace India’s Junk Bills

Jeanette Rodrigues Darkwyr

November 17, 2016

• One estimate pegs May 2017 as date when bills will be replaced
  • Deutsche Bank says crunch to cut 50bps from Oct-Dec GDP growth

For Indians expecting respite from the government’s clampdown on cash, here’s a reality check: it probably won’t come soon.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration may need until May 2017 to replenish the stock of now worthless bills, according to Saumitra Chaudhuri, an economist who advised Modi’s predecessor. The government on Nov. 8 banned 500 ($7.5) and 1,000 rupee notes in a surprise move against graft and tax evasion.
Delays in replacing the currency risk prolonging the pain in the $2 trillion economy, where about 98 percent of consumer payments are made in cash. Deutsche Bank AG predicts the crunch could easily shave off a half-point from India’s growth in October-December, which could imperil its position as the world’s fastest-growing major market.

450x-1.png

This is how Chaudhuri reached his conclusion, which he published in a blog post on the Economic Times’ website: Extrapolating from central bank data, he estimates that Modi’s move sucked out about 16.6 billion notes of the 500-denomination, and 6.7 billion 1,000-rupee bills. That means more than 23 billion notes totaling 15 trillion rupees.
Modi intends to replace these with new 2,000-rupee and 500-rupee bills. However, Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Pvt., which prints the higher denomination currency, has a stated capacity of just 1.3 billion notes a month. That’s with working double shifts. Raise this to triple shifts and it becomes 2 billion bills, which means it will need until the end of 2016 to replenish in value the 1,000-rupee notes.Security Printing & Minting Corporation of India Ltd., whose capacity Chaudhuri estimates at 1 billion pieces a month, will need several more months to meet the 500-rupee target, even if it joins forces with BRBNM, he said.
"Ergo, currency shortages will remain with us for many months and economic contraction will rule this period," he wrote. "At the end of the period, confidence will be at new lows and recovery will take time."
In what could make matters worse, the presses -- busy with the new bills -- have almost completely stopped printing 100-rupee notes, Bloomberg Quint reported Wednesday citing central bank sources it didn’t name. These bills are the bread-and-butter of India’s $780 billion informal economy, which employs more than 90 percent of the workforce.
Finance Ministry spokesman D.S. Malik rejected the assessment. "This is not correct, things will improve shortly," he said. "Once supply of Rs 500 and Rs 100 notes increases and re-calibration of ATMs is over, which is underway on a fast pace, the situation will improve to a huge extent."
There is a "sufficient" supply of bank notes as production started nearly two months ago, the central bank said in a statement on Thursday.
The ministry’s officials, however, admitted the government is falling far short of meeting requirements for 100-rupee notes. They declined to be identified, citing rules on speaking with the media.
In a teary-eyed appeal, Modi on Sunday requested Indians to bear the pain for 50 days. "After that, if any fault is found in my intentions or my actions, I am willing to suffer any punishment given by the country," he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...onths-more-to-replace-india-s-worthless-money

Last edited:
Bear the pain for 50 days. After that you will get used to it.lol.

No chance of queues shortening for quite sometime more.-may be two or three months hopefully.

Now all of us sitting pretty on our hands and holding tight a few currency notes collected.

For me , It is a morning pastime to go around and look at the length of queues in half a dozen banks near my home.

I do not anymore take it seriously when politicians rant and whip up crowds, police keep themselves busy in front of banks{ now they do not harass vendors and others

loitering }. Women feel safer as more people are on the roads till late evenings and police and their vans do their duties to ensure safety of those dealing with money.

Good that this govt has given people work to occupy themselves fully. Bank employees would never have stayed so long in offices continuously for days together.Most

senior employees [above manager level] have nothing much to do as lower category are over worked and not bother them for anything.They do not have to chase

NPAs daily.So they are peaceful.

Demonetisation: Former RBI governor Subbarao hails decision, says positive for investment

Singapore
- Hailing the Indian government's decision to ban Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, former RBI Governor Duvvuri Subbarao has said it would be a positive move for investment and will result in disinflation.

"Given the scenario, my own view is that it is going to be good," said Subbarao.
It would be positive for investment and result in disinflation among other benefits, he said, while commenting on the government's decision to demonetise high value currencies last week.

Importantly, it would be good for bankers to encourage people to move from hard cash to electronic transactions. It would move from a cash-intensive economy to a less cash-intensive, he said, while speaking at MintAsia's Global Banking Conclave 2016 held in Singapore yesterday.

But Subbarao also stressed the importance of following up with tougher measures on currency management and not to allow the built up of "black money" again.
NRIs have also welcomed the government's decision on note ban.

Dinesh Khara, managing director for associates and subsidiaries at the State Bank of India (SBI), the country's largest financial institution said, "It is short-term pain but long-term benefit".

Applauding the move dubbed "demonetisation", Khara said, "As a community of banks, we are all geared up to meet out and mitigate the current hardship."

"We are trying to figure out ways and means through which we can do it. For us also it was as much a challenge," said Khara.

Cash dispensing at the Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) are being ramped up and debit card swipe for cash at point of sale machines are being increased, he said.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/india/demo...ion-says-positive-for-investment-3109638.html

For the first time, I ventured a visit to the two banks in our area to draw vitamin M. The patient waiting for about 45 minutes

made my purse heavier by 24K. :thumb:

Wishing to finish off the business this morning, I went to the other bank. OMG! I live in India; yes! No money in bank! If I go

in the afternoon, I may get Rs. 2,000/, if funds are available!
:eek:hwell: Who will stand in a Q for this amount? So, I had to come

back, singing to myself the famous NSK's song: 'engE thEduvEn'!!
:spy: Shall venture only next week for the hunt. :fish2:

All the fruits and flower shops were having very dull business, in spite of an Ayyappan temple in that locality, with bhakthAs

crowding the place. One car mechanic also told sadly that he does not get much work because of the shortage in new currency. :sad:

My doc friends in India are not lining up in queue cos they have to see patients.

So they are accepting cash in old notes from patients so that patients can still seek treatment and then they give the money to Bank managers to put it into their account at bank ..so that no need to queue and at same time patients can use old notes too.

I think this way its better...they can also treat patients instead of lining up at bank.

They just make trips to the bank to hand over money without the need to queue...but this is becos they know the bank manager well.

Dear Renu,

Vegetable vendors take old notes, if we buy for more than Rs. 300.

BTW, our forum friend has come down to India and talked to me yesterday. He said that unless he buys stuff for more than

Rs. 1500, he does not get change for a 2000 rupee note! The sweets and savories are priced at around 500 - 700 per k.g and

so spending Rs. 1,500 will not be a problem. Anyway, he could get some 100 rupee notes and hence he is managing well. :cool:

I felt very happy to have such a friend in forum. :thumb:

Will our Courts come in the way of implementation citing hardship to the common man...But Courts are forcing our Government to share the plans for mitigating the sufferings of the public

Fri, Nov 18 2016

SC refuses to stay proceedings in various courts against demonetisation drive

Supreme Court quashes Centre’s plea; sides with aggrieved common man on demonetisation woes

Apurva Vishwanath

New Delhi:
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to stay proceedings against scrapping of Rs500 and Rs1,000 banknotes filed in various high courts across the country.

"We cannot stop shut the courts for the aggrieved people," said Chief Justice of India (CJI) T.S. Thakur.
A bench, comprising CJI Thakur and justice Anil.R. Dave, was hearing a plea filed by the Centre seeking a stay on cases against demonetisation in various high courts.
"Cases in high courts will help us understand what are the issues being faced locally," the court observed.
Attorney-general Mukul Rohatgi asked the court to pass an order stating that only the Supreme Court will hear cases against the government's 8 November order on scrapping Rs500 and Rs1,000 banknotes.
Rohatgi, however, said that fresh petitions of transfer of at least five cases, including those in the Bombay high court and Madras high court will be filed next week.
On Tuesday, a bench, comprising CJI Thakur and D.Y. Chandrachud, sought a comprehensive response from the Central government on the scrapping of Rs500 and Rs1,000 banknotes while refusing to stay the Reserve Bank of India’s demonetization order.
The case will be heard next on 25 November.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/0u...&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ht_livemint

One fall out of demonetisation-daily wage tradesmen -electricians,plumbers,masons etc are freely available at low rates. they are starved for work. The contractors who

use them regularly have laid them off.

Now that construction restrictions put in place due to pollution have been removed, it is ideal to get small works done now.

There is boom in used cars market.

Many are buying these with old money ,registration to be done after a few months.

Ola is giving credit for taxi journeys.

Car parking at airport is free.

Paid highways are open free of charge.

Petrol stations are giving new notes for old to a limited extent.

Ordinary people have come to terms with it and do not care anymore about changing notes too much.

most middle class are living on credits given by groceries shops.

chemists give medicines to regulars with money to be paid later.

Beggars are suffering
no one drops loose coins into their dabbas.Charity is dead it appears.

Long queues of beggars outside temples are missing.

Gods are not receiving small donations.

Lamps requiring oil are not lit in temples.

ATMs giving money is a myth .

None dispense any money near my home..

But with all this , there is a certain peace.

Cashless economy is probably better.j

Last edited:
Dr Swamy hails the demonetization...Though he did fault the execution...A brilliant interview!

Last Modified: Fri, Nov 18 2016

Demonetisation has achieved 50% of objective: Subramanian Swamy

The senior BJP leader and Rajya Sabha member on demonetisation, the harm done by corruption to India, his equation with Narendra Modi and other issues

Preeti Dawra
SubramanianSwamy-kt2H--621x414@LiveMint.JPG

Subramanian Swamy says the government should have prepared a contingency plan so that the ordinary people, particularly in far-flung areas, do not suffer following the demonetisation. Photo: Priyanka Parashar/Mint

Hong Kong:
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and Rajya Sabha member Subramanian Swamy says had he been consulted, he would have suggested to the government that people who return demonetised currency notes be exempted from having to pay income tax on the money.
“I would have suggested don’t do it alone. Do it with the abolition of income tax so there is a big relief for the common man. People would have been jubilant. I think this will happen soon though,” Swamy said in an interview during a visit this week to Hong Kong.
Swamy, who has taught for 10 years at Harvard University, spoke about the harm done to India by corruption, his equation with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, former Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan and other issues in the interview.
Edited excerpts:
Does the decision of the “surgical strike” on black money signal a radically new political and economic landscape? Prime Minister Modi has staked much on this game-changing move with the view to reduce corruption and curb terrorism. Do you think he is succeeding?
We have achieved 50% of the objective in large part in my view from the demonetisation. Practically all demonstrations in Kashmir have stopped, even though the Kashmiri government has done nothing new to pacify the people there. Through demonetisation, we have knocked out the counterfeit printing of Indian currency by Pakistan, which was done with the aim of funding terrorism in Kashmir. The counterfeit notes they produced were so akin to our legal currency that it was difficult to tell it apart. The reason was that the previous government gave the contract for currency paper to the same London-based company that supplies currency paper to Pakistan. This aided Pakistan counterfeit Indian notes and finance militancy in India at zero cost. Now, they don’t have the money to fund terrorism with ease with demonetisation.
You have been highly critical about the implementation of the demonetisation of higher currency notes. Why?
We should have prepared a contingency plan in advance so that the ordinary people, particularly in far-flung areas, do not suffer. We are now learning by doing. The ministry not being in loop of decision-making is no excuse. We have been in power for nearly two-and-a-half years and there has been a discussion about it for a long time. The finance ministry should have prepared for this from the very first day.
I would have also rolled this out differently. I had suggested don’t do it alone. Do it with the abolition of income tax so there is a big relief for the common man. People would have been jubilant. I think this will happen soon though.
We should have also told the corporates and all other major public sector institutions like universities, police, military and others that it is their responsibility to do the conversion to the new currency for all their employees, and the government will ensure enough new currency supplies to these institutions directly.
What is your view of the new steps announced by the government to ease the pain of demonetisation?
I am happy to see the urgency though in PM’s thinking and the new measures he has taken now of banks waiving ATM charges, extending the usage of existing currency to November 24, higher limit withdrawal per day and per week, recalibration of ATMs (automated teller machines) and other steps.
How would you define your relationship with Modi?
I get along well with him. He respects my views despite the fact that I am blunt with him and say things that others don’t. He withstood enormous pressure and took global criticism for example in the case of Raghuram Rajan, the RBI (Reserve Bank of India) governor, as he knew my advice was well-founded. He (Rajan) was hell-bent on raising interest rates for controlling inflation. That’s like a doctor saying the best way to bring down his temperature is to kill him. Economics is about general equilibrium, not disequilibrium. I was solely responsible in building up a case against him. This decision has proven to be right as the economy has not suffered and no one in India today talks about or misses Rajan.
You have been called an unapologetic Hindu nationalist and a destabilizing factor that can sometimes embarrass the Indian prime minister with your outspoken comments that don’t always reflect the party’s views. Do you agree?
These are Delhi durbar rumors. If this were the case, the party would call up and tell me. The PM is sure that I am not doing anything out of line, and that I am loyal to him and committed to his agenda. I was amongst the first people to propose that his name should be considered for prime minister. I also campaigned for him in a way nobody else did.
I am not doing anything outside of what the party manifesto is committed to. The PM is pursuing development and governance, while I am focusing on the remaining BJP manifesto. I have the support of the party and the PM in the causes I champion.
You have said that development is necessary but not sufficient to win elections. Please explain.
Development alone has never won an election for anybody. The most successful development Indian PM was (P.V.) Narasimha Rao, and he lost badly. The most successful development chief ministers were (N.) Chandrababu Naidu (of united Andhra Pradesh) and S.M. Krishna (of Karnataka), and they both lost.
To be successful in elections, you also have to have a strong emotional appeal that speaks to the majority of people. In our case, it is the Hindutva cause. Making Hindus unite and rise above their caste, language and regional differences, and vote for us. And we have been able to successfully do this in the last national elections.
What is your view for engaging with Pakistan to resolve the Kashmir issue?
In the case of Pakistan, there is no civilian government or leader worth talking to. So, we are dealing directly or indirectly with the military, ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence) and terrorists. They consider India an unfinished chapter of Islam. And, therefore, another war is inevitable. They will find an excuse to make a military strike and attack us. But, from India’s side, we are prepared; and this one should be decisive in our favour. We are making all possible contingency plans. We will never have peace till we finish the Pakistan problem.
When most of the world was condemning (US president-elect) Donald Trump for his radical rhetoric against Muslims and other minorities, his recklessness, ignorance and incompetence, you firmly predicted his victory. Why?
I also predicted Narendra Modi’s victory. I knew a large section of the disenfranchised majority of both countries never went to vote before as they were never stirred up by any of the other candidates. This section of the population was also outside of the sampling number of polls.
Similar to how Trump spoke to white America despite being criticized for it by the liberals, Mr Modi paid attention to the legitimate grievances of the Hindus, who form 80% of India, and felt they had been made secondary citizens in their own country. They both succeeded as no other candidates were willing to speak directly about the issues of the majority population of both nations.
What does Trump’s victory signal first and foremost in your view?
Trump’s victory announces the demise of political correctness once and for all. People want leaders to say it as it is.
Do you agree with the view that there are many similarities between the leadership styles and personalities of Donald Trump and the Indian prime minister? Or do you think this is a simplistic analysis?
PM Modi is certainly not so outspoken or expressive as Trump is about his views. But he does make his intent known through his successful political and policy moves, which are in the interest of the nation. His actions distinguish him from the others.
But he is less teamwork-oriented than Trump. His search for talent is defined by how he can make things work in implementing his governance agenda, rather than pick the guy who is most qualified for the job. He is less of a risk taker in that sense, perhaps, because he is not an insider of Lutyen’s Delhi, and needs people he thinks can work the system in Parliament and with the opposition. So, talent is secondary for him. To be able to work with the system and get things done is more important. Trump is the opposite. It is evident in his selection of his team, as it is emerging.
How will Trump’s personality affect his engagement with India and the rest of the world?
His basic character is compromise. He is a successful negotiator who knows the game of give-and-take well. Unlike what has come across in his campaign, he is a pragmatic, polished and considerate (person) who will respect world leaders according to their stature. He will be willing to work productively with Mr Modi. So, he will be successful, in my view, for India and America.
Fighting endemic corruption has been the centrepiece of Modi’s agenda. You have been regarded as one of the most effective fighters in the party for exposing corruption in recent years by becoming a force behind some of India’s landmark corruption cases such as the 2G spectrum scam. What do you see as your contribution in fighting corruption and why did you take up this cause?

I find the large-scale practice of corruption over time by Indian politicians and businessmen to be appalling. The Indian economy has been destabilized systematically since Independence by their corruption. I felt compelled to do something radical to expose it. Unless you get the people at the top, you cannot create the necessary fear factor for people to change at the bottom.
Hence, I petitioned the Supreme Court in 2010 to prosecute the telecommunications minister at the time over his involvement in awarding cell phone spectrum to companies below market rates. That helped fuel the perception of widespread corruption and led to the defeat of India’s long-time governing Congress party.
In what strategic ways has corruption hurt India’s economy in your view?
Corruption has hurt our country in four significant ways.
First, we have calculated that directly and indirectly, 70% of economic investments have been diverted into non-essential economic activities that generate a very high rate of return, but harm the economy and the common man. Cash—which could have been used in building factories, roads, schools, hospitals and other productive assets—is used for buying properties, palatial mansions and other high-end consumer goods. The investment priority in the country has, thus, been distorted over time as these assets have historically earned a higher return of rate on investment.
Second, corruption has led to significant stock market instability. In India, corrupt money is sent abroad through the hawala channel and returns through a financial derivate that no country has invented—but the fertile mind of the Indian—called the participatory note. These are issued by Morgan Stanley, US Fidelity Investments and Goldman Sachs. It has no name, no date, nothing, except the amount you put in.
All you have to do to get it is show your Indian passport abroad and bring it back to India, and then you are free to invest in the Indian stock market. In recent years, the rise in foreign investment is largely due to portfolio investments, and that is something that can go in and come out anytime. This has caused a great deal of instability in stock market prices.
Third, despite the abundance of agricultural production in India, corruption has led to an artificial shortage and volatility and hike in the prices of agricultural products. This has been done by hoarding and through permitting forward trading in agriculture.
Fourth, corruption in India has consistently induced the massive production of substandard products that have been proven time and again to be dangerous to the Indian consumer’s health and safety.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/pN...-achieved-50-of-objective-Subramanian-Sw.html

But with all this , there is a certain peace.

Cashless economy is probably better.j
From Bhaja Govindam of Shankaracharya:

sura ma.ndira taru muula nivaasaH
shayyaa bhuutala majinaM vaasaH .
sarva parigraha bhoga tyaagaH
kasya sukhaM na karoti viraagaH .. (18)
Take your residence in a temple or below a tree, wear the deerskin for the dress, and sleep with mother earth as your bed. Give up all attachments and renounce all comforts. Blessed with such vairagya, could any fail to be content ?

Centre's demonetisation decision is taking toll on the mental health of many cash strapped businessmen in rural areas of West Bengal whose entire sales are in cash.
Within a couple of days of the announcement, a potato wholeseller started having panic attacks since he has about Rs. 50 to Rs. 60 lakh of the perishable agriculture produce lying in a cold storage.
He buys potato on credit in bulk and sells it in cash to smaller traders but now, as a result of cash crunch, there are no buyers.
"The wholeseller fears that his entire stock will go waste, incurring him a huge loss. He was suffering from panic and anxiety attacks and thought he will die," Senior consultant psychiatrist Sanjay Garg said.
According to psychiatrists, they have been getting a significant number of patients suffering from mental stress after the centre's move to demonetise Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 currency notes.
Garg said that most of such patients are from middle and upper-middle class families belonging from rural Bengal where the reach of plastic money is limited.
Another psychiatrist Santasree Gupta said, "One of her patient is a 50-year-old widow who inherited Rs. 30 lakh in cash savings from her deceased husband.
"She had plans to buy a flat and spend the rest of the amount in her son's marriage. And now she is feeling very insecure. She had to put her on short-term medication to help her control the stress," Gupta said.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...ffecting-mental-health-say-psychiatrists.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back