• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Crime against women in Tamil Nadu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Situation in South Africa:

According to the South African Medical Research Council, only one in nine rapes is reported in the country. According to the 2010/11 police statistics, there were 66 196 sex offences in South Africa. But with many rape incidents unreported, the figure could be significantly higher.

According to a recent survey of 1 500 school children in a locality in South Africa, one quarter of the boys believed gang rape was fun.(?!)

Recently, a mentally retarded woman was gang-raped by 7 men and another mentally challenged woman also faced the same ordeal. Incidentally, a mentally challenged man has alleged that he was raped by two women. Gender equality at wrong places?

There should be a law that only educated person should contest the election.
Similarly, any one who has undergone punishment under civil or criminal law
should not be allowed to contest the election. The candidate should declare
the assets of the family voluntarily including income tax clearance.

Balasubramanian
As for as Lok Sabha is concerned I think a good number of them are all graduates. Well, education is necessary but does it ensure good character. Similarly, illiterate may have sterling qualities. No law of any land is applied to election of candidates. He should just contest, even if he is serial killer/rapist,

Last edited:
Women Protection Council, NHRC or Sathyameva Jayathe Organisations should come
forward to protect the interests of Women. Of late, chain snatching events
are on the high side and it becomes difficult for women to move on the roads
alone.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

The host of the programme "Satyameva Jayate" himself divorced his long time wife. Does anybody know why? It is like Nityananda doing dharma pracharam!

As for as Lok Sabha is concerned I think a good number of them are all graduates. Well, education is necessary but does it ensure good character. Similarly, illiterate may have sterling qualities. No law of any land is applied to election of candidates. He should just contest, even if he is serial killer/rapist,

Provided they can vote.

The host of the programme "Satyameva Jayate" himself divorced his long time wife. Does anybody know why? It is like Nityananda doing dharma pracharam!

Divorce is a legal instrument. It can happen to any of us, so let us not hold that against Amir Khan. I do not know the reason of his divorce, and I am not defending him. His work in this series and in general has been exemplary. His projects are made with understanding of the subject and well produced. Let us not compare him to a low-life like Nityananda.

Dear sir,
I know morals differ from country to country but sometimes we do have to swallow our pride and values when faced with a critical situation.

I was discussing this Problem of “Baby Mothers in USA” with a close relative of mine, who is a Biologist and has stayed in USA for more than 25 years.

She says it is due to Socio-Cultural out look. We Hindus use a word called DHARMAM. It encompasses a wide spectrum. Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh all use this word. Indian Christians, Parsis also follow some of the tenets of Dharmam.

In our South Indian Brahmin(other Castes and North India also),if a girl yet to be married, is even 25-30 years old, has an M.B.A,--M.B.B.S—Ph.D earns Rs 30-40 thousand a month, --still stays with her parents only (normally), till she is given in marriage.

Without giving any Credit to her daughter’s “Greatness” ,every middle class mother would say:-

இவளை ஒருத்தனிடம் பிடித்து கொடுக்கும் வரை வயிற்றில் நெருப்பை கட்டி கொண்டு உள்ளேன்

And the daughter also would be nodding her head like “Appan Kaalai”

Even Thiru Valluvar has talked about various Dharmas.:-

தந்தை மகற்காற்றும் உதவி அவையத்து முந்தியிருப்ப செயல்

மகன் தந்தைக்கு ஆற்றும் உதவி இவன் தந்தை என் நோற்றான்
கொள் எனும் சொல்

ஈன்ற போழ்தில் பெரிதுவக்கும் தன மகனை சான்றோன் எந கேட்ட தாய்

But in Western Societies this is NOT the case. Even when the girl is around 15 years old, a middle class mother would say “I am just counting the days (3x365=1095).When she is 18,she has to “Live’ her life and I have to live “my life”. In India mother’s “life” is Children’s life only. The 15 year old also would start worrying in 3 years I have to find my own food, shelter and clothing—They start “searching” “Boy-friends”—dating and all that. Some are shrewd and some are “Naïve”.—that is all.

I was discussing this Problem of “Baby Mothers in USA” with a close relative of mine, who is a Biologist and has stayed in USA for more than 25 years.

She says it is due to Socio-Cultural out look. We Hindus use a word called DHARMAM. It encompasses a wide spectrum. Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh all use this word. Indian Christians, Parsis also follow some of the tenets of Dharmam.

In our South Indian Brahmin(other Castes and North India also),if a girl yet to be married, is even 25-30 years old, has an M.B.A,--M.B.B.S—Ph.D earns Rs 30-40 thousand a month, --still stays with her parents only (normally), till she is given in marriage.

Without giving any Credit to her daughter’s “Greatness” ,every middle class mother would say:-

இவளை ஒருத்தனிடம் பிடித்து கொடுக்கும் வரை வயிற்றில் நெருப்பை கட்டி கொண்டு உள்ளேன்

கொள் எனும் சொல்

But in Western Societies this is NOT the case. Even when the girl is around 15 years old, a middle class mother would say “I am just counting the days (3x365=1095).When she is 18,she has to “Live’ her life and I have to live “my life”. In India mother’s “life” is Children’s life only. The 15 year old also would start worrying in 3 years I have to find my own food, shelter and clothing—They start “searching” “Boy-friends”—dating and all that. Some are shrewd and some are “Naïve”.—that is all.

You are right, but you are talking of people in conservative rural setting. In urban modern cities of India, there are lot of single Indian working women living alone. These are the girls who have moved out of small towns to get better paying jobs in the city.

I always wonder if the entertainment industry leads the society or the movies just represent the society.
I suppose a rich minority can force a view on the society through the tv and movies. In US the homosexual community is a very small but very rich minority and has changed the perception of the society in last 20 years.

Similarly the society has forced the industry, to stop stereotyping the communities, and from spreading hate towards any group.

I guess it cuts both ways.

கொள் எனும் சொல்

Shri Somayaji,

Have a look and read this news article..

Is that only about finding their own boys to be dependent on them, life long as wife, in a family OR it's all about enjoying the pleasures of fantasies??

----------------------------------------------------
IN ENGLAND AND WALES

Thousands of teenagers treating abortion as form of contraception

Many had operation more than once — some as many as eight times

London: Thousands of UK teenagers are having repeat abortions, with some undergoing at least eight terminations.

Latest figures suggest many girls are using the procedure as a form of contraception, with pro-life campaigners claiming they are being "let down in an appalling way".

" There is something seriously wrong with a country where teenagers are having even one abortion, let alone repeat abortions to this extent

"

- Rebecca Mallinson of the Pro Life Alliance

For one in seven teenagers who had an abortion in 2010, it was not their first.

Out of 38,269 teenagers having terminations in England and Wales, 5,300 had already had at least one, say NHS figures released under the Freedom of Information Act. Three had their eighth abortion, while another two had their seventh.

Four teenagers had a termination for the sixth time, 14 had their fifth, 57 had a termination for the fourth time and 485 went through the procedure for a third time.
----------------------------------------------------

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/uk/t...g-abortion-as-form-of-contraception-1.1028141

The news article has 4 related links on the left side of the page.

I would be careful of quotes for these pro-life Christian groups. They are known to distort the facts, they zealots and are against birth control of all sorts. If you restrict birth control, in a sexually active society the outcome is unwanted pregnancy. So the choice is between unwanted children or terminating pregnancy.

Please do not believe that these young women do not go through a heart retching emotions and guilt going through with abortion. Secondly it is very difficult to get an OB doctor to perform legal abortion. This procedure is not cheap and is not covered by insurance. These women go through after these difficulties and subject their bodies to same risk as any major surgical risks, including death.

Please do not take the words of so called celibate Catholic Priests, about how a women should treat her body. These people are not there when the women need help, but are there to chastise her. Who gives them the right to put guilt on the women alone. Some of the pregnancies are terminated and if you are affluent it is called "D&C" if you are poor it is called abortion.
The other reason for abortion is lack of knowledge, peer pressure to have sex, and the society that expects the women to give in. some other reason are incest, rape, drug use, prostitution, genetic defects, or economic condition.

The issue is very complicated, and Mr. Ravi at your young age please do not rush to condemn. We need to have compassion and advice to the women deciding on her need. The moral, social, and economic burden is on the women to bear the child for 9 months and may be another 25 years after that.

Most of the abortion is for single women.

I wish you would change your post.

What is the need to club all such cases under one head!

For some, it is an accident, unforeseen and unintentional.
For some, the the risk is known, but they go ahead without worrying about the consequences.
For some, it is adventure - night driving at 100 mph in an inebriated condition and causing accidents.
Which group needs sympathy?

I think it is apt to relate a moral story here. A growing boy was eating too much sugar and no amount of advice not to do so helped the boy. The mother took the boy to her Guruji and sought his help. Guruji said ok and bring the boy after a fortnight. Perplexed the two went and came back to Guruji. Now Guruji advised the boy how too much sugar could spoil his health. It looked like the boy received the advice. The mother could not resist asking Guruji why he did not give the advice on the first visit. Guruji replied I was fond of sugar myself and hence I could not give him the advice. But now I have totally given up. I needed that time. Moral is one who gives advice should be eligible to do so. And may be honesty pays,too.

The issue is very complicated, and Mr. Ravi at your young age please do not rush to condemn. We need to have compassion and advice to the women deciding on her need. The moral, social, and economic burden is on the women to bear the child for 9 months and may be another 25 years after that.

Most of the abortion is for single women.

I wish you would change your post.

Shri Prasad,

The reports in my post #61 are pertaining only to Thousands of Teenagers, single women, obviously.

Majority of teenagers had undergone termination multiple times, as much as 8 times.

Here it is not about who bears the burden. It is all about the culture of the society where both males and females are equally responsible.

It is highly revere able where a women bears a child for 9 months and may be another 25 years after that, as a mother, as a parent. Right from uneducated country men up to the highly qualified city men who all are descent and responsible, knows, who is women and whats her moral, emotional, social and family burdens. They honor and sympathize with women folks, including their mother, sisters, wife, daughters and any other women in general.

The western culture is different where SEX is a casual part of life from teenage. Very long before, through one of my clients, I could know that there were some cases of 13 years young girls getting pregnant in US. He told, his daughter is a child psychologist in US who is also has the expertize to mold teenage girls and boys towards disciplined life style and healthy mind and body.

Just because I sympathize with married women and support her decision for abortion on valid grounds, I would not sympathize with teenagers or can say such a culture where teenagers are let free to have the pleasures of Sex.

How on Earth the single girls who are females, as per the nature, bears emotional burden, indulge in sex multiple times, get pregnant multiple times and terminate multiple times???

Dont's say that majority of the figure in the report is that of Rape Victims.

Last edited:
What is the need to club all such cases under one head!

For some, it is an accident, unforeseen and unintentional.
For some, the the risk is known, but they go ahead without worrying about the consequences.
For some, it is adventure - night driving at 100 mph in an inebriated condition and causing accidents.
Which group needs sympathy?

Mr, Sarang, have you looked down your body, I think you a are a man, you are talking like a man, you are judgmental like an old fashioned man. Passing judgement on a culture that you are not familier with, nor do you take time to understand. When you live in an alien culture, and try to understand it, you come to different conclusions.

Do you know about unwanted births?
Reasons For Choosing Abortion
My name is unwanted - Times Of India
More than 200 Indian girls whose names mean "unwanted" in Hindi have chosen new names for a fresh start in life.

285 Indian girls shed 'unwanted' names - Yahoo! News
UNICEF estimates the number of orphans at approximately 210 million. May be that number would have been lot less if pregnancies were managed.

Abortion is akin to amputation. Doctors amputate a limb when it can cause serious damage to the person. If the mother could transfer her pregnancy to the man who caused it or the priest who is moralizing her, there would be no abortions. So you if you find that method, you can sit on judgment.

Last edited:
I think it is apt to relate a moral story here. A growing boy was eating too much sugar and no amount of advice not to do so helped the boy. The mother took the boy to her Guruji and sought his help. Guruji said ok and bring the boy after a fortnight. Perplexed the two went and came back to Guruji. Now Guruji advised the boy how too much sugar could spoil his health. It looked like the boy received the advice. The mother could not resist asking Guruji why he did not give the advice on the first visit. Guruji replied I was fond of sugar myself and hence I could not give him the advice. But now I have totally given up. I needed that time. Moral is one who gives advice should be eligible to do so. And may be honesty pays,too.

Your advice is well placed.
Some how, some times when it comes to birth, men are all teary eyed, and are ready to tell the women how to lead their life. The men have no responsibility at all. In India it may be different, but in west there is no support system for single girls and have to bear major share of rearing children.

When it comes to single mothers, statistics help society better understand where they are coming from. It also helps individuals become less judgmental of a single mother, as they can easily see that the majority of them are working hard to give their children the life they deserve.

Single Mothers Statistics - Statistics On Single Mothers In The United States
Single Parent Statistics - Number of Kids With One Parent

Your advice is well placed.
Some how, some times when it comes to birth, men are all teary eyed, and are ready to tell the women how to lead their life. The men have no responsibility at all. In India it may be different, but in west there is no support system for single girls and have to bear major share of rearing children.

When it comes to single mothers, statistics help society better understand where they are coming from. It also helps individuals become less judgmental of a single mother, as they can easily see that the majority of them are working hard to give their children the life they deserve.

Single Mothers Statistics - Statistics On Single Mothers In The United States
Single Parent Statistics - Number of Kids With One Parent

Shri Prasad,

You are missing the points raised by me, Shri Sarang and few others on this topic.

What for one does abortion, that should be honored and encouraged?? Kindly explain....

From my side I would list out the following reasons for abortions, that can be considered justifiable and sensible -

1) A mother in a wedlock, who is not in a position to bear, deliver and nurture a baby on many valid grounds
2) A girl who is a rape victim of many kinds, including incest.

What about this kind of abortion? -

3) Girls, who starts enjoying sex right from teen age and go for abortion. And repeat it n number of times, considering the pleasures of Sex without anything that can hinder the pleasure and the venues to abort a baby.

Here boys are equally responsible. Just because they don't undergo the termination process, does not make them superior.

The culture of the society which is not sensitive to such practices and considers SEX from teenage as casual, needs etc as long as there exists mutual consent, can not be considered great/right. Such social practices would not only spoil the health of the involved individuals BUT would also create hell lots of issues for the single mother/single parent and the child. Chances are that, such children would again end up becoming a single parent as a usual and casual possibilities of Life. What about the psychological and life/family perceptions of such children?

Yes, such single girls have to bear major share of rearing children where the guy responsible for the birth of the baby is not willing to take this up. There can be many reasons for these girls to go for termination -

1) Don't want to give birth to a baby and bear the unnecessary burden right from teenage, just because of having pleasures.

2) Don't want to give birth unless married where the guy responsible for birth would share his contributions in rearing the child.

3) Don't want to give birth to a baby when the pleasure games are not at all intended to have a baby.

4) Don't want to give birth to a baby so that the pleasures can be continued without hindrances/disturbances, at this age when there is no desire and the capability to be a responsible parent.

Considering the above, how can we say that such a human culture is appreciable???

No doubt, such things may get into its peak in India or any other conservative society as the rule of the changing cultural practices in due course of time. But, just because things got changed and has become the standard does not mean the society is progressing for the better and it is healthy.

It is not about if I am a male or not. Just because I am a male it does not necessarily mean that I am biased and trying to accuse girls.

All I am accusing is the Culture, where both boys and girls are let loose with the considerations that, they are matured right from their teen age and have their human rights to do whatever they want with mutual consent.

Frankly speaking most of the while its married woman who use Abortion as a form of contraception and sorry to say this but it's my patients from India and PIO here who just walk in and walk out of Abortion as if it's nothing at all.

They just feel it's unplanned pregnancy and they don't want it.
Believe me there is no remorse and these types can argue non stop with a doctor who tells them that an abortion is bad for mother and fatal for fetus.

They get real angry when you tell them you do not do abortions.
They are just down right plain irresponsible and too lazy to take any form of contraception.

That's why prevention is better than cure and I advice all Sexually Active females married or unmarried to take some form of contraception so that abortions would not be needed in the future.

In India, it has become a common practice. Mostly it has become quite casual
in the college going girls. In fact, abortion kills much more people than the total
number of deaths in the wars, according to a latest study. Some argue, abortion
is not as grave as sin similar to killing, but it is only a method of a birth being deferred.
People do not understand that every human being is precious. To be precise,
abortions shortens the life of the mother, if I am correct; whether they do
it illegally or from the financial or economical angle.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Mr. Ravi,
We have to agree to disagree on this topic.
What society's moral values are determined by so many social customs. I do not want to judge the present day's young people values with my age old values. They have to live in the present world, I am happy I lived in my world as I was happy with my values.

The world is changing, in this age of information, people live a life at faster pace, and instant gratification.
In my age we lived a secluded life (may be i was more ignorant of worldly pleasures).
I can not expect others to live by my moral code. I also live in a culture where values are different than mine.
I have the compassion, and I volunteer with agencies that help these unhappy children (most of them are children). The rich ladies, or girls of rich parents get "D&C" in OB clinics that you do not even know. So the termination of pregnancy also has an economic angle that you do not see. People protest the word "abortion" not the termination.
You seem to be more concerned about the fetus, than the women. You are ready to give a sermon to a women, who is not living by your value system.
That is the age old system of man telling a women how to lead her life.
I believe in women being able to lead her life the best she can what ever that may be. I will support her.

Mr. Ravi,
We have to agree to disagree on this topic.
What society's moral values are determined by so many social customs. I do not want to judge the present day's young people values with my age old values. They have to live in the present world, I am happy I lived in my world as I was happy with my values.

The world is changing, in this age of information, people live a life at faster pace, and instant gratification.
In my age we lived a secluded life (may be i was more ignorant of worldly pleasures).
I can not expect others to live by my moral code. I also live in a culture where values are different than mine.
I have the compassion, and I volunteer with agencies that help these unhappy children (most of them are children). The rich ladies, or girls of rich parents get "D&C" in OB clinics that you do not even know. So the termination of pregnancy also has an economic angle that you do not see. People protest the word "abortion" not the termination.
You seem to be more concerned about the fetus, than the women. You are ready to give a sermon to a women, who is not living by your value system.
That is the age old system of man telling a women how to lead her life.
I believe in women being able to lead her life the best she can what ever that may be. I will support her.

Dear Prasad ji,

It's not the rich and famous alone that frequent abortion clinics..the middle class and below make up most of patients.
Rich and famous are quite smart in planning their lives and most of the sexually active rich girls insists on their boyfriends using condoms or are on contraceptive pills.

There is an obligation for sincere doctors to educate society and prevent loss of lives in utero which is the best for both mother and child.

We are not judging anyone on Moral grounds here.It's just instilling some sense of responsibility in everyone to make sure a mother's life is not endangered by abortions and no fetus dies for nothing at all.

I feel no one is trying to tell a woman how to run her life here but its for safety reasons too that abortions should not be at one's whims and fancies.

Ok just say a mother feels she is sick and tired of looking after her living kids and poisons her children and kills them..are we still going to say that its fine cos she decides how she wants to run her life?

She will charged in court isn't it?
Same amounts to abortion...it amounts to murder cos the fetus is in us and we are only carrying it with some 50% genetic material transfer and we NEVER gave it life.
The life of the fetus is it's own so we have NO right to take a life of another.

So the best way is to educate society on the risk of abortion and to promote contraceptive usage.
We don't need to morally judge anyone.

Last edited:
Very well said, dear Renuka,

Its not just about morality...Every one have their own definition of morality and wants to be happy with their own life style. Who gonna bother whom???

When the social culture is such that teenage girls become pregnant casually as a result of fun games (even without protection that would not give the full satisfaction if used) and gets into termination repeatedly OR give birth to a child and live a life as a single mother for a child who don't have a father, just imagine what sort of psychological disturbances and wrong perceptions of life would be acquired by such mothers and children?

Such children become victims of seduction and deception and the chain continues....

The reasons behind terminations would certainly be justifiable considering many grounds. I do agree that.

The point here to understand is, what was the reason behind getting pregnant that needed termination, even multiple terminations?

Was that between married couples or just because the girl and the boy wanna full fun and now needs termination?

Having sex is off course pleasurable and so having a baby. The terminations as well can be some how justified. BUT, all this are fine when things are between married couples.

Else, such practices are highly detrimental for the parties involved and for the society in general.

You are not only getting personal, but shooting off the tangent; and bring irrelevant issues in the discussion.

Abortion has ethical and legal issues. As per the law of the land, for medical termination of pregnancy, some conditions have to be satisfied. I have not said anything for or against that.

The indian courts have ruled that a lady (even a minor) living with a man for some years under promise of marriage and later jilted, cannot claim that she was raped,as she was fully aware of the consequences. Educated girls have to be more careful, the judge said.

Like many practices (prostitution, drugs, drink, himsa, slavery and many such), ethical or unethical, right or wrong, legal or illegal, will survive overtly or covertly.

There was news item yesterday, that as commercial surrogacy is illegal in UK, many UK citizens are getting it done in india spending as much as 30000 pound sterling.

Mr, Sarang, have you looked down your body, I think you a are a man, you are talking like a man, you are judgmental like an old fashioned man. Passing judgement on a culture that you are not familier with, nor do you take time to understand. When you live in an alien culture, and try to understand it, you come to different conclusions.

Do you know about unwanted births?
Reasons For Choosing Abortion
My name is unwanted - Times Of India
More than 200 Indian girls whose names mean "unwanted" in Hindi have chosen new names for a fresh start in life.

285 Indian girls shed 'unwanted' names - Yahoo! News
UNICEF estimates the number of orphans at approximately 210 million. May be that number would have been lot less if pregnancies were managed.

Abortion is akin to amputation. Doctors amputate a limb when it can cause serious damage to the person. If the mother could transfer her pregnancy to the man who caused it or the priest who is moralizing her, there would be no abortions. So you if you find that method, you can sit on judgment.

Such conflicts, whether to have abortion or not, are to be resolved by the individuals, the society of the day and accepted moral principles of the community. It is futile to give a general and universal solution. The individual and the doctor inherit the papa and punya for the deed, if they believe in the principle of karma.

Recently, I saw in the menu card in an Indigo flight - 'we guarantee that that all non-vegetarian dishes use only halal meat'. Many indian companies, are opting for halal certification to make their products acceptable in a wider market; even in UK, many london schools give only halal meat for lunch. Parents object , but have no choice or voice to change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back