• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Changing Gothram

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know lot of things. We follow what our elders practiced and the same is happening in all sects. Simply saying that Gothram is useless is not acceptable. Similarly performing marriage and other auspicious functions on particular day and month are also traditional practices which we follow. We may not know the reasons as to why we avoid Tuesdays, Saturdays or the month of Aadi or Margazhi but it is a practice followed by generations.

Instead of talking about Gothram or Auspicious days, I request tamil brahmins to forget sub-cast first. Smartha`s need not tell or ask whether they belong to Vadama, Vathima, Brahacharnam or Asta Sahasram sub-sects. Similarly Iyengars have to fore go Vadakalai or Thenkalai. This tranformation is the most urgent need of the day.

Let us first try to avoid sub-cast problems among tamil-brahmins first. I think we have to leave it to the eminent scholars of our community regarding gothram, auspicious date selection etc

Last edited:
In Sathapatha Braahmanam(SPB) 16 types of Marriages are described--Paisacham,Raakshasam,Ghaandarvam,Asuri,Paanigrahanam,Kanyadhaanam etc.Lord sri.Krishna married sri.Rukmani only by Paanigrahanam-Paani=Palm--Grahanam=gripping--"Kai Patra Kanaa Kandane Tholi"--there is No question of Pravaram-changing the Gothram etc-Paanigrahanam is permissible for Kshatriyas,according to SPB-sri.Krishna in carnal body is Vrishni Kula Kshatriya-Rukmaangathan was Not willing to give his daughter sri.Rukmani to lord sri.Krishna -Bhishma using his archery power brought Amba and her 2 sisters forcebly and asked them to marry Vichitraveeryan.Amba refusedbecause,this precisely falls under Raakshasa description in SPB-Bhishma paid the price(Karma) for his action-only in Kanyadhaanam,where parents of both sides,Kanya,Varan all are pleasantly willing and conducting the marriage-changing the Gothram etc arises-- If a boy and a girl are majors and want to marry each other, & co-operation is NOT coming un-conditionally from parents of either side they can go for "Civil Marriage"--why to go for changing the Gothram and all that?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing one's gothram

This topic has been discussed in this forum several times.

My views are:

1. Gothram is just an indication of one's lineage or ancestral line.

2. No harm would be done, even marrying within the same gothram.

3. Changing the gothram also can be done, if felt necessary.

4. But I wish to caution that any change should occur naturally and
evolve slowly. It should not happen, suiting one's whims and
fancies, yielding to playful attitudes of some in the society (just
for the sake of it) and rebel tendency of the person concerned.

Regarding the other related issues discussed -

1. 'Aadi' month is the month of sowing, the main occupation of the
society in those periods.
2. Similarly, I have been told by the elders if marriage and the
nuptials that follow will result in birth of the child in Chithirai, the
peak summer. To avoid the excruciating heat and sweat to the
newborn, marriages in Aadi were avoided. (in those days, even
fans were not there). Same must have been the rationale for
avoiding shifting to a new house etc. during this month.
3. As for Margazhi month, it is totally dedicated to divine activities
and spiritual pursuits (maasanam margasirshogam). Hence no
place for mundane activities.
4. Telugus keep their weddings on Saturdays, unlike us.
5. For them, anytime after the sunset is acceptable. I have
attended several Telugu (Andhra) weddings during midnights or
even at 4 o' clock in the mornings.
6. For Tamilians, Amavasya is an auspicious day and the British also
call it 'New Moon day'. It marks the beginning of new phase,
symbolically. But, Telugus avoid this 'thithi', considering it as
null and empty. Hence it is inauspicious.

It is all in human's mind how things are interpreted suiting the social customs and beliefs or personal convenience and attitudes.

I think Gothram changes during adoption. The adopted boy or girl inherits the gothram of the adopting father automatically. They why so much fussy about gothram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back