• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can we change the destiny of a baby by fixing the time of birth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a vivaham as accepted and approved by our scriptures. It is living together voluntarily, not approved by hindu social law (sharia may be different) as yet, and disapproved by many sections of the civil society.

Even when a boy and a girl want to marry out of love, we vehemently oppose horoscope matching; why it is to be done when there is no provision in astrology for this? I do not think there are any rules in astrology for queries on same sex union. I do not know why they insist on marriage - they can insist on a legal civil contract format listing liabilities and termination conditions.

To get spousal privilege.

When a friend of mine was constructing his house, he consulted a renowned Vastu expert. When it came to the location of indoor bathroom, the vastu expert told him that the original vastu shasra did not have any provision. The modern vastu experts have added this to the old texts.

So similarly we have to accept the limitation of ancient shastras, IMO.

I suppose it is a difficult choice.
Either accept the limitations of these ancient shastras.
or Show how to accomodate the modern social norms in this shastras.

Space travel, AI, same sex marriage, and various other practices.

Last edited:
Can horoscope actually be able to predict a person's sexual orientation?

For example many homosexual men do not disclose their sexual orientation to their parents and actually go along for an arranged marriage and have a wife at home but at the same time continue their activities outside.

Many innocent girls become victims to such men.
Same goes for lesbians who marry men through arranged marriage and continue their lifestyle.

So when an astrologer is given horoscopes to match for wedding ..is there any way the astrologer can find out the sexual orientation of a person?

Dear Renu,

"Love is blind". So, ANY love marriage needs no horoscope matching!

Dear RR ji,

These days there are many match making sites for every sort of "marriage"..so it is also becoming sort of arranged.
So I was wondering if a horoscope match would be essential! LOL

Dear Renuka,

Abnormality is the norm in kaliyuga.

I think it should be possible to find the sexual orientation of a person from a horoscope.

But match making?!!!

Dear Renuka,

Abnormality is the norm in kaliyuga.

I think it should be possible to find the sexual orientation of a person from a horoscope.

But match making?!!!

Gay or straight: Stars can tell orientation - Times Of India
Gay or straight: Stars can tell orientation

Paul John, TNNMay 6, 2006, 12.09am IST
pixel.gif

SURAT: Can the position of stars and planets pinpoint someone's sexual orientation? Prince Manevendra Singh Gohil, whose recent proclamation of being gay left many aghast in the quaint town of Rajpipla, seems to believe it can.
"It was already there in my kundli. A senior astrologer from Canada had suggested that I should not marry as the stars and planets indicated that I was gay," he said.

pixel.gif

Trijayanand, an astrologer who counselled Manevendra against marriage, says: "The planetary positions in the fifth and the eleventh house generally give a good indication of a person being gay, lesbian or even a bi-sexual.
For instance, Mars in Tula rashi and Venus in Vrishchik rashi is also a marked indication." In a new trend of sorts, gay activists have engaged astrologers to prove that the position of stars in astrology, which is relied upon before marriage, can suggest or predict a person's sexual orientation during their adolescence.
"My colleagues at Lakshya trust had collectively agreed to engage astrologers and demystify the kundlis of our existing gay and lesbian members. This would prove to people that even ancient scriptures have recognised our kind," says Gohil.
In a conservative Gujarati society, confessions of children being gay have left many parents devastated. Rituals, yagnas, vidhis are conducted and several thousands and sometimes lakhs are spent to seek divine intervention to straighten the sexual habits of the person concerned.
If that does not help, parents continue to push homosexuals into the closet, with a straight spouse as a perfect cover from ostracisation.
"I was forced to marry two-and-a-half years ago. I had a child but then I had to divorce my wife soon. It has been a torturous period for me. I had confessed to my parents about I being gay. But they would not listen.
Astrologers can help us out of this mess if they inform our parents of our orientation well in advance," says another gay member who spoke to us on condition of anonimity.
Claims another astrologer Amabalal Patel, "Mercury in the fifth position, clearly indicates that the person is of the third gender.
Besides this, a strong influence of Venus in a man may also indicate the orientation. We also look for a Mercury-Saturn combination in the planetary positions to decipher ones sexual orientation.

This makes an interesting read.

Your horoscope could determine your sexual leaning - Times Of India

Your horoscope could determine your sexual leaning

Jahnavi Contractor, TNNJan 21, 2002, 12.58am IST
pixel.gif

vadodara: they knew it way back in the 6th century ad that homosexuality is an inborn trait, determined by a peculiar positioning of saturn and venus during one's birth. now, a research based on a study of 80 horoscopes of homosexuals, has corroborated vedic astrologer varahmihir's contention. world-renowned sexologist dr prakash kothari conducted a unique study that combined vedic astrology and modern sexual medicine at the kem hospital in mumbai and the g s medical college, department of sexual medicine, the only one of its kind in the country.

"my friend, noted musician kalyanji introduced me to bipin kumar joshi (mehta), an astrologer who predicted the sexual preference of one of my patients without talking to him or listening to him - just by seeing his birth date, time and place of birth.

i was shocked when he gave his diagnosis it was accurate. i decided to delve further into astrology - a subject i considered to be a hoax until then", says dr kothari, member of the advisory council of the world association for sexology and president of the indian association of sex educators, counsellors and therapists. joshi introduced me to a book, brihat jatak written by india's eminent astronomer and astrologer varahmihir, who mentions homosexuality as a trait that is observed in individuals whose horoscopes indicated a particular planetary condition.

varahmihir writes, "if in an individual's horoscope the venus and saturn are aspected by each other and are in each other's navamsh then she will satisfy her passion with the person of the same sex acting as the opposite sex." rudrabhatt, the commentator of varahmihir, further mentions that the same rule holds true for male horoscopes," says dr kothari. "to verify facts and to find out if this holds true we undertook a study at the k e m and g s medical college department of sexual medicine. it is my norm to record each patient's date of birth, time of birth and place of birth along with other details." bipin joshi charted out horoscopes of 80 patients who were homosexuals. in majority of the cases, barring a few exceptions that varahmihir has mentioned, most had the peculiar planetary conditions that he has described.

"to make sure that there is no human error in charting out the horoscope, i prepared a computerised horoscope from another place and got it checked by other astrologers to ensure that the calculations are accurate.

once again, the findings were corroborating with what varahmihir wrote in the 6th century ad." "modern studies have pointed out that homosexuality is a genetic trait and congenital, astrology too points out that homosexuality is inborn. though i am a man of science i believe that astrology which is based on astronomy is a science too.

"i use astrology in my medical practice as a directorial guide not as a dictatorial tool. bipin joshi is a part of my staff and just as i use the help of psychologists, pathologists and others i use his skills to help in diagnosis. my aim is to cure my patient and if astrology helps i use it. in case of complicated cases where the patient has indulged in abnormal sexual behaviour i also take their palm imprints for study", he says. according to him many patients come to him with the problem of homosexuality.

there are fathers who bring their daughters or sons and complain about the "problem of homosexuality or lesbianism." "according to medical science homosexuality, which has its origins in genetics, cannot be cured. but astrology has certain conditions wherein a person can be cured if he wants to. sexuality is not between the legs of an individual but it is between the ears. sexual preference too is in the mind," dr kothari adds.

pixel.gif

So now since there is evidence that sexual orientation is also determined by planetary position as pointed out in the article above that too noted in 6th century AD by Varahamihira..so should we really view such individuals negatively?

It's a point to ponder.
Would like members with knowledge in astrology to comment on this.

http://jayasreesaranathan.blogspot.com/2009/07/hindu-thought-on-gay-rights-and.html

In Chapter 24-7 of Brihad Jhathaka, Varahamihira gives the combination of planets that make the person behave in a way different from normality.
"If Saturn and Venus are in each other's navamsas, aspecting mutually, or if the birth falls in Taurus or Libra, with the Navamsa rising in Aquarius, the woman will get satisfaction from females dressed in male attire"

Verse 303 & 304 0f Samhita skanda of Narada Purana –II-55, says,
"If Venus and Saturn should occupy each other's Navamsa or if Venus be in Aquarius Navamsa, the woman concerned would get highly inflamed by sexual congress with members of her own sex."

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

Which one of the following societies is desirable? A society which is predominantly heterosexual or one that is predominantly homosexual? The problem is that something which is abnormal shouldn't be promoted and worse still become a norm.

Dear Renuka,

Which one of the following societies is desirable? A society which is predominantly heterosexual or one that is predominantly homosexual? The problem is that something which is abnormal shouldn't be promoted and worse still become a norm.

Dear Sravna,

Frankly speaking now I am sort of not trying to view things as abnormal or normal anymore and rather view things as individual preferences.

I am not promoting any specific lifestyle but just wanting to realize that in life we have either end of the spectrum and the majority of us are in the median.

Cos all Sanathana Dharma asks us is to give up the Six enemies :

Kama
Krodha
Lobha
Moha
Mada
Matsarya

1st on the list is Kama.
All forms of desire falls under Kama including Heterosexual and Homsexual.

The key word is to get over Kama.

So if a person can gain control over Kama and the rest of the enemies residing in men..so to that person (if he was heterosexual or homosexual before) I will bow down my head with full respect.

Last edited:
Renuka,
You raised a point regarding marriage between same sex and this has been answered. Perhaps you have already scanned

the net . You dont need internet to know this. This is explained in the books of Varharmihira, Kp and others.

Last edited:
Renuka,
You raised a point regarding marriage between same sex and this has been answered. Perhaps you have already scanned

the net . You dont need internet to know this. This is explained in the books of Varharmihira, Kp and others.

Dear sir,

That is what I am surprised about...that since it is in books of Varharmihira and others and that too with astrological evidence why no one tried to do any Pariharams to rectify this astrological variation?(for those keen to give up same gender attraction)

This topic is considered Taboo and such individuals are just shunned.

We have Pariharams for almost every situation in life but why not much on this?

Or does it boil down to the fact that Pariharams can not really alter Karma after all?

Last edited:
Dear Renu,
Please note that there is no pariharam for prarabda karma. If you think that pariharams can change the destiny,
everyone can change his destiny. The planetary positions indicate what is in store for you, that is all.

Dear Renu,
Please note that there is no pariharam for prarabda karma. If you think that pariharams can change the destiny,
everyone can change his destiny. The planetary positions indicate what is in store for you, that is all.

Dear sir,

So it only reinforces that fact that Karma can not really be altered.

So since the planetary positions are mainly due to Karmic patterns so I guess may be such individuals should not be shunned and be accepted as a variant from the majority and not be looked down upon.

Modern discoveries seemingly tend to raise questions about how our traditions are to be applied and interpreted. This is a great topic in my view highlighting the need for clarity of the significance of our practices which may often help in interpretations that are conflict free.

We live in a world where the West and its biblical religious traditions have had a lot of influence on our lives often unbeknownst to us. This also tend to gives rise to apparent contradictions in interpreting the theory of Karma which is the basis of our Astrology.

Islam has a concept of Kismat which most Hindus have freely interpreted as Vidhi. So often Vidhi is cited in many household for inaction. Therefore those that believe in Vidhi may think that if only they can have a child be born at a given time everything will work out wonderful. This is not true for many reasons in my view.

For one, our teachings emphasize that the result we achieve is based on our past deeds (Prarabdha Karma) and our free will based actions often affected by our character (Sanskara) . It is a sum total of both so the environment and how someone is raised in the context of the person's character that determine *part of the results*. The net result is determined by the Karma of others (e.g. close family members) and their free will based actions!

There is a major difference in approach between Western Astrology and Hindu/Vedic Astrology.
The Western Astrology tries to predict the future. There is nothing one can do at the end of learning the prediction.
Hindu Astrology tries to understand the past of a person's Karma and hence suggest 'free will' based actions (Pariharam etc) to offset the past karma.

The Astrologer has too many degrees of freedom in my view and hence a scientific study is not possible.
True a family may try to select the timing of the birth but then the child seemingly was born in a family that could choose the time of birth.

However study of the past to understand the future is often done by checking the horoscope of the person as well as that of their significant relations (e.g., family members) who can sometimes have more effect than the birth time of the individual alone. In other words there is no guarantee that by timing of the birth alone the future of the child is determined.

Anyway given that there is no scientific study possible all the astrology has to be taken on faith. There are too many degrees of freedom in interpretations and too many hidden variable for an astrologer even if the model has merit and the astrologer is very knowledgeable.

Dear Renuji,

You know very well the story of Bhaskaracharya. Let me just quote the story from Kamakoti website :

Our sastras mention branches of mathematics like "rekhaganita, "kuttaka", "angapaka", etc. "Avyakta-ganita" is also called "bijaganita".Eight hundred years ago there lived a great mathematician called Bhaskaracarya. An incident in his life illustrates how relentless destiny is. Bhaskaracarya had a daughter called Lilavati. The great astrologer that he was, he found that she had "mangalya-dosa" in her horoscope, but he felt confident that he could change his daughter's destiny, as foreshadowed by the stars, with his ingenuity and resourcefulness, as an astrologer. He decided to celebrate Lilavati's marriage during a lagna in which all the planets would be in positions favourable to the bride. This should, he thought, ensure that Lilavati would remain a "dirgha-sumangali".In those days there were no clocks as we have today. A water-pot was used to measure time. It consisted of an upper as well as a lower part. The water in the upper receptacle would trickle down through a hole into the lower container. The lower part was graduated according to the unit of time then followed ---nazhikai (nadika), one sixtieth of a day or 24 minutes. So the time of day was calculated by observing the level of the water in the lower container. ("Water-clock" and "hour-glass" are English names for such an apparatus. Since water evaporates quickly sand was used instead. )According to the custom then prevailing, Lilavati's marriage was to be celebrated when she was still a child. On the appointed day, she sat beside the water--clock and bent over it fascinated by the apparatus. As she fumbled around a pearl from her nose--stud got loosened and fell into the apparatus lodging itself in its hole. The flow of water into the lower receptacle was reduced. So what the clock indicated as the hour fixed for the marriage was not the right one---the auspicious hour had passed. Nobody including Lilavati, had noticed the pearl dropping into the water-clock. When they came to know about it, it was too late. They realised that destiny could not be overcome.Later Bhaskaracarya wrote a mathematical treatise and named it "Lilavati" after his daughter. The father taught his widowed daughter mathematics and she became highly proficient in the subject. Lilavati deals with arithmetic, algebra, etc. It is a delightful book in which the problems are stated in verse as stories. Bhaskaracarya also wrote the Siddhanta-Siromani which deals with how the positions and movement of the heavenly bodies are determined.

courtesy kamakoti.

Dear sir,

So it only reinforces that fact that Karma can not really be altered.

So since the planetary positions are mainly due to Karmic patterns so I guess may be such individuals should not be shunned and be accepted as a variant from the majority and not be looked down upon.

Dr Renu

Let me share my understanding of the model.

Prarabdha Karma cannot be stopped.
But free will based actions can 'offset' in some situations.

It is really a Vector addition (using term from high school mathematics) where summation of intensity and direction is considered in addition to determine the result.

Effect and intensity of the Pariharam can offset results though the Prarabdha Karma may be more intense in some instances.

If a person is short or gay - it is unlikely anything can be done to alter that with any Pariharam.

There are somethings that can be altered permanently.
If a person is narrow minded, racist or sexist or homophobic, which arises out of ignorance, then with right knowledge they can overcome their prejudices and begin to know what acceptance of others really means and how to see Isvara in all creations.

The freewill actions which Shri.TKS mentions, would seem to be largely influenced by environment i.e., prevailing external factors and not based on past karma. The past karma it seems is manifested as inborn traits.

Dear Renu,

Recently I met our family astrologer to check the correctness of the horoscope of one of my nephews.

The problem was this: The Lagnam in the chart was in 'Kumba rAsi' according to his father, who had cast

the horoscope in 1983, but the computer horoscope shows the Lagnam in 'Meena rAsi'. After seeing the

chart, he said that a male child can not be born in Meena rAsi for that particular positions of the planets!

This was something new I have not heard of so far! :)

Dear Renu,

Recently I met our family astrologer to check the correctness of the horoscope of one of my nephews.

The problem was this: The Lagnam in the chart was in 'Kumba rAsi' according to his father, who had cast

the horoscope in 1983, but the computer horoscope shows the Lagnam in 'Meena rAsi'. After seeing the

chart, he said that a male child can not be born in Meena rAsi for that particular positions of the planets!

This was something new I have not heard of so far! :)

Dear RR ji,

There are lots of variations about horoscopes too especially the computerized ones.

In India near my college one person used to do computerized horoscope so we students went to just get ours checked.

I was shocked to see mine cos there was one line which said that "High chances to be a leader of a criminal gang in future!"

I was thinking OMG what criminal can I be?

But now come to think of it in Forum I am considered one of the Fantastic Four Jalra members!LOL(pronounced guilty without a trial)

Cos you see "crime" is also a state of mind..what might be normal for me might be a crime for another!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back