• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can someone advice me about how to change the Gothram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Excellent query by Renuka madam

chinna veedu ( 2nd wife and so on ), if same caste, they too get entry into gotram lock and key mechanism.

but a fantastic question about divorcee, you have asked.

the answer is bitter but has to be digested. no way other than that.

the answer is NO.

Divorcee divorces her husband but there is no provision to return to the father's gothram.

this is similar to the clay. the clay state of the girl, from father's gothram, becomes a pot, during movement to husband's gothram.

when it is a divorce, the pot breaks and it cannot be made clay again and a fresh pot cannot be made from the broken pot.

similarly a new gothram cannot be taken.

the law of nature is so methodical and organized that the deeper we research we see how far we have drifted away in argument and self-gratification and how much lengthier the distance to be re-covered to reach our pristine purity.

Two of the very famous carnatic singers have their mother's name in their initials! :thumb:

Is the initial syndrome related to only Brahmins or for all Hindus?

Regarding the singers, one is from intercaste parentage (MS) and I don't know about the other (MLV).

As usual, what is the sub sect of both?

Hi Sridhar,

I can suggest you to talk to the elder persons having good knowledge on our Hindu tradition knowledge.They will guide you to proceed further.

Murali

chinna veedu ( 2nd wife and so on ), if same caste, they too get entry into gotram lock and key mechanism.

but a fantastic question about divorcee, you have asked.

the answer is bitter but has to be digested. no way other than that.

the answer is NO.

Divorcee divorces her husband but there is no provision to return to the father's gothram.

this is similar to the clay. the clay state of the girl, from father's gothram, becomes a pot, during movement to husband's gothram.

when it is a divorce, the pot breaks and it cannot be made clay again and a fresh pot cannot be made from the broken pot.

similarly a new gothram cannot be taken.

the law of nature is so methodical and organized that the deeper we research we see how far we have drifted away in argument and self-gratification and how much lengthier the distance to be re-covered to reach our pristine purity.

I cannot understand the logic behind this. If the marriage is cancelled the girl should be able to go back to her gothram.

So if she decides to re-marry she should be quoting her ex-husband's gothram as her gothram?

If the prime event which caused the gothram change has been reversed why should she be stuck with the new gothram?

Is there any shastra confirming this?

Vanaja

Same gotra people are considered brothers and sisters. Of late, youngsters get carried away by emotions
and do not allow anything to come in their way of their desires. No doubt discipline is essential. Parents
have to tell clearly their children about their boundaries. Hindu functions essentially require gotram.
To set aside the traditional customs, is not a scientific way of life. One has to be clearly explained
about the significance of gene quality by all means to build healthy and long lasting society. You may
like to visit the following website too.information regarding Gotras

I cannot understand the logic behind this. If the marriage is cancelled the girl should be able to go back to her gothram.

So if she decides to re-marry she should be quoting her ex-husband's gothram as her gothram?

If the prime event which caused the gothram change has been reversed why should she be stuck with the new gothram?

Vanaja

They will quote you shastra that a divorcee should not exist.
Gotra is a dubious birth based division. In spite of clamoring to equate gotra with Liniage it is cock annd bull story.
I tamil Brahmin can have Bharadwaja Gotram and Rajput in Rajasthan can have Bharadwaj Gothram. How is that possible?
If Bharadwaj Muni is the common ancestor all his children should be Brahmin too.
Don't get deluded by all this "intelligent" people talking as if they know.

Last edited:
Same gotra people are considered brothers and sisters. Of late, youngsters get carried away by emotions
and do not allow anything to come in their way of their desires. No doubt discipline is essential. Parents
have to tell clearly their children about their boundaries. Hindu functions essentially require gotram.
To set aside the traditional customs, is not a scientific way of life. One has to be clearly explained
about the significance of gene quality by all means to build healthy and long lasting society. You may
like to visit the following website too.information regarding Gotras
I beg to differ from your view. Sangomji and I have written extensively about the dubious origin of Gotra Practice. Hindu function done by arya samaj no one cares about Gotra, caste etc. Hindu functions conducted by NB too they do not have Gotra. If you go to Telugu Temple as the priest has to announce, he makes up a gotra. In North India the family priest will fix a gothra for you.
So in my research This whole theory about Gotra is Hogwash.

One is allowed to marry mama, mama's cildren, attai's children that is almost incest. In north India they always make fun of TB practice of marrying your cousin.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sociology/7249-gothram-alumni.html#post97861

Changing Gotram

I beg to differ from your view. Sangomji and I have written extensively about the dubious origin of Gotra Practice. Hindu function done by arya samaj no one cares about Gotra, caste etc. Hindu functions conducted by NB too they do not have Gotra. If you go to Telugu Temple as the priest has to announce, he makes up a gotra. In North India the family priest will fix a gothra for you.
So in my research This whole theory about Gotra is Hogwash.

One is allowed to marry mama, mama's cildren, attai's children that is almost incest. In north India they always make fun of TB practice of marrying your cousin.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sociology/7249-gothram-alumni.html#post97861

# 108 by Mr Nannilam Balasubramanian explains the position very clearly & nicely the importance of Gothram in which one is Born . If we want our own way of interpretation on such age old practice engrained in Vedas & Sastras, why at all twist the same with the intention of personal ambition & if such persons wantonly deviate this fundamental issues, I beg of them , not to try to get the support / approval of others who are following the laid down norms, by way of Brain-washing ?
Decades earlier, I know that when marriage is decided between relatives living in closely knit families , I have witnessed many marriages duly changing the original Gotram of his parents & take over the Gothram of the person , who adopts him. Can the learned sastrigal/ Vadhyar can authentically reason out this blatant deviation ? In this context I beg to clarify that when , in cases of ADOPTION the Gotram has to change. If this change has the approval of Sastras as exception to the Rule, then it emboldens others to ask Q , when in adoption the Gotram is allowed a change , why not in other cases ? What does the Time-tested Vedas say ?
Rishikesan

Vanaja

Madam,

Gothram is a mere concept and can not be proven as based on facts. At some point of time in the long history of the three higher castes of the Indian society (i.e., the Brahmana, the Kashatriya and the Vaisya) this concept of Gothram seems to have crept in, and the people "labelled" themselves, probably, as belonging to one Gothram or another. This label or Gothram-name somehow took after the names of different Rishis of yore and it was the general consensus that people belonging to the same Gothram have one common lineage. Marriage between a boy and girl of the same Gothram was, accordingly, forbidden from that point onwards.

It is relevant to note that in the Buddhist "Dasaratha Jataka", Rama and Sita are siblings who marry.

(Such sibling marriages are a common symbolic imagery in early Buddhist literature to denote purity of a dynasty. As the Buddha is supposed to have come from the Ikshvaku clan (of Rama) this symbolised his dynastic merits.) Versions of Ramayana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hence it may not be inappropriate to conclude that, upto some point of time in our long history, brother-sister marriages were not only common, but recommended and when some knowledge about the birth defects and diseases caused by such sibling marriages dawned upon the society, very strident reforms were initiated to prevent the sibling marriages thenceforth and this Gothram device became handy.

Since it is merely a label, the rules and regulations were laid down only within the context of the Dwija life-style prescribed by our Shaastras. Our Shaastras allow adoption and the adopted child takes on the Gothram of its adopter father. However, till my young age, the son given for adoption was never allowed to marry into the close relatives' circle of his original family.

Similarly, our Shastras did not allow widow remarriage. Hence a widow will have her deceased husband's Gothram. If, today, we allow widow remarriage we will have to consider the widow as belonging to her deceased husband's Gothram or, alternatively, as reverting to her gothram of birth. You will not find any Shaastra support for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back