• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahman vs. Human

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have a few questions I would like some answers for, there are lot of u in here who are well versed with the vedas and shasthras. some of my questions maybe kinda the same. would like answers to the whole or if u choose to answer them for each of the questions?

1. What is more important, to be a Brahman or to be a good human being?
2. Are they both, the one and the same?
3. Can one be either or without being the other? brahman without being a good human or vice versa. or is it not possible?
4. Is it better/good karma to be a Brahman over a being a good man or being a good man but not a Brahman?
5. Is being a Brahman a must to be a good man?
6.Are all good men Brahmans or all Brahmans good men?

I would like to point out, I didnt mention brahmin. I was seen some of the explanations in other thread here about what makes some one Brahman. living life by the vedic way. would be glad to enlightened about this quandry.

Dear Anand,

Let me try to answer you.

I take it that when you say "Brahman", I take it that you mean "Brahmin".

1. What is more important, to be a Brahman or to be a good human being?
I wonder if you are meaning that being a Brahmin is the anti-thesis of a human being. If you do mean that then please tell me why you think so?

2. Are they both, the one and the same?
Don't you think so?
3. Can one be either or without being the other? brahman without being a good human or vice versa. or is it not possible?
The answer depends on your answer to my first question.
4. Is it better/good karma to be a Brahman over a being a good man or being a good man but not a Brahman?
Good question. Karma (which is a word used to also denote its effect viz. karmaphala) brings rewards of enjoyment and suffering as well as inclination to do something. Nothing to do with being a human or not being a human. Like any other caste being a Brahmin has its own duties and enjoyments and sufferings.

5. Is being a Brahman a must to be a good man?
This is another good question. Everyone can be a good man or a bad man irrespective of his varna.

6.Are all good men Brahmans or all Brahmans good men?

See my answer to question 5.

Regards,
Saab

NO i dont think being Brahmin is an anti-thesis to being a good human being.
I didnt clarify that by mentioning Brahman, I meant to refer to a person who lives by the vedic ways, the shastras and the various codes of life. I know a lot of Brahmins who dont live life like a brahman. Just by being a Brahmin by birth does one attain the state of Brahman. one with god and all those sorts of thing. pious and just living.
Maybe I am not being very clear in my understanding of what makes a person Brahman. i was just going by the various answers and discussion that Ive seen here that talks about what and who is a Brahman. not the caste name of Brahmin.
well some kinda quirky reply i am giving. hope u can mak sense of it. no i am not questioning Brahmin being an anti-thesis to human.

Dear Anand,

I think I am getting it. You are asking about Brahman the eternal, the absolute and not about a person who is a Brahmin by caste. This is easy to explain.

First of all we say that there is nothing apart from Brahman. It means that Brahman alone exists. What do we understand from this statement when we see so many things, people, animal and so on existing? The conclusion is: They are all Brahman! Why? Because there can be nothing other than Brahman.

What do we understand from this? That you are Brahman and you do not know it. If I tell you that your are Brahman, then you can say: "No sir, I am not because I am born and I will die. Therefore I cannot be Brahman as Brahman is eternal."

So I would ask you: "Well then, Who are you?"

Then you could say: "I don't know. Can you tell me who I am?"

I could give you an answer as to who you are. If you ask the same question to Mr. X, he will give you an answer that is different from what I gave you. If you ask Mr. Y, he will give you an answer yet different from the other two. This would confuse you most.

Why do we give different answers?

Because each of us know only a part of you and each such part is different from the other. So we describe you in different ways.

The fact is while each of us know only a part of you, only you know yourself wholly and completely. Therefore only you are qualified to know who you are!

That brings us back to your first answer that you do not think that you are Brahman because you think you are mortal and not immortal.

Here is where our Vedas say that your answer is due to the ignorance of your own self and you can overcome this with the help of a Guru. The Guru would put your answer to test through which test you would overcome your ignorance. This process is called 'vichara' or inquiry. During this inquiry your own concept of yourself is put to test and negated if it does not stand the test of scrutiny. At the end of this inquiry you get to know your true Self. And our Vedas say that the Self is absolute and eternal.

Saab

Dear Sri N,

We as Brahmins, believe the Vedic injunctions are to benefit and serve the human society. Hope you are with us on this.

Regards
MM

Dear Sri N,

Could please frankly let us know on your objectives in providing the link on who is brahmana?

Buddhism views ends in Shunyata as we know.

Anybody can come up with catchy words as in this link. So why did you provided this link? May I know please.

Regards

MM

Sakyamuni Buddha never started a new religion. It was a new way of thinking. Hinduism not only assimilated his ideas, but also made him an Aavtara of Vishnu. There is a lot of propaganda about how Buddha was against the Brahmins. This chapter in the Dhammapada shows that he had great respect for Brahmins.

Again let us not forget that Hindus (at least most of the Brahmins in most of the rituals)gave up animal sacrifices due to the influence of the teachings of Gowtama Buddha.

We have modified the Vedic practices according to our convenience. It is strange that the Brahmins who swear by Vegetarianism now, also swear that they follow the Vedic practices. We have changed whatever suits us.

Shall I post a translation of the hymns regarding Soma Yaga or Aswamedha Yaga detailing the animal sacrifices.

I can quote extensively from the Vedas to show how the present day Brahmins have deviated from the Vedic religion. Swami Dayananda Saraswati started Arya Samaj which he called as the Vedic religion. They do not believe in the caste system.

http://world.std.com/~aditya/

Attempts were made to get rcognistion for a religion called Vedism distinct from Hinduism of today. See this

http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Religion_and_Spirituality/Faiths_and_Practices/Vedism

The problem is that Veda Adhyayanam as it is taught is Veda Patashalas today does not include knowing the meaning of the hymns. This has created two classes of people.

1. People who are able to recite the Vedas and also perform rituals.

2. People who have studied the Vedas and understand them.

There are less than 10 persons in India today who can recite the Vedas and also understand their meaning.

Enlightening. further pursuing this notion, I have read and heard and am sure all of u have too about the various "Thiruvillayadals" and other such miracles. our religion is filled with instances of such things. why is it that in this lifetime(i have to say, mine) we havent seen/experienced any such thiruvillayadals or other miracles of god. is it a sign of Kali kallam? Or am I too blind to see such things happening all the time around me? luv to hear some views about this.

Last edited:
திருஞானசம்பந்தர் தேவாரம்
தலம் : பொது
பண் : காந்தாரபஞ்சமம்
மூன்றாம் திருமுறை
பஞ்சாக்கரத் திருப்பதிகம்
திருச்சிற்றம்பலம்

புத்தர் சமண் கழுக்கையர் பொய்கொளாச்
சித்தத்தவர்கள் தெளிந்து தேறின
வித்தக நீறணிவார் வினைப்பகைக்கு
அத்திரமாவன அஞ்செழுத்துமே. 3.22.10

பொருளுரை:
புத்தர், சமணராகிய கடை ஒழுக்கத்தினர்களின் பொய் மொழிகளைக்
கொள்ளாத சித்தமுடையவர்கள் தெளிந்து உறுதியும் அடைந்தன;
வித்தகமான திருநீற்றினை அணிபவர்களின் வினையாகிய
பகையை அழிக்கும் ஆயுதமாவன திருவைந்தெழுத்தே!

Enlightening. further pursuing this notion, I have read and heard and am sure all of u have too about the various "Thiruvillayadals" and other such miracles. our religion is filled with instances of such things. why is it that in this lifetime(i have to say, mine) we havent seen/experienced any such thiruvillayadals or other miracles of god. is it a sign of Kali kallam? Or am I too blind to see such things happening all the time around me? luv to hear some views about this.

What are you referencing, I couldn't get you.

Dear Sri N,

Do you have any Vrta, not to address me? May be you felt that I'm not fit enough to converse with you. For you are a scholar and researcher, I' m a layman who could only speak his mind. Sigh sigh...

Our friend Sri KRS, insists that we should address properly, he has given me a good lecture on this.

But with your this post, your statistics number might be a bit too much.

Just a reminder on your other post, you did quoted some statistics and Sri Renganathan asked to substantiate that, are you going to do that? You remember that....

Pranamaskaram
malgova.mango

Attachments

• Thambiran_Vanakkam_1578.jpg
    Thambiran_Vanakkam_1578.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 122
Mr.MM what i meant in most is this:
we have read and heard about the different miracles/instances when "HE" has come and lived in the midst of us. like the story of pittuku maan sumantha padalam and other such instances. there are other such stories and times where the almighty has come on earth to test his disciples and perform many glorious miracles. we dont here such things these days. or are they any such happening which i have been blind to?
hope i have made myself clear to you.

Dear Sri Anand,

The events such as the ones that you have mentioned are constantly taking place. You have to read about Nadamaadum Deivam. Kanchi Maha Acharyaal and Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi had performed miracles that people have claimed but these great souls themselves never admitted to doing them. Such is their greatness!

Saab

Maybe the great ones dont talk about their deeds. but I think more of us need to be talking about it, so the bliind ones like me can hear and learn about it.

Dear Sri Anand!

While acknowleding , Sri Saab - In Sakthi Vikatan , there were a series, narrating the incidents on the life of "Maha perieva" Please try to get that and read it. You can enuire anantha vikatan office for a copy of it.

On HE - himself came down to do the leela - The most recent as I Know is in the life of "Sage Thyaga Brahmam" and Sridhar Iyya vall.

Regards
malgova.mango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back