• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Birthday & death Ceremonies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rameswaram

Dear DD
Legend is that Rama (Narayana) worshiped the linga at this plase. Do Iyegars visit Rameswaram . We normally dont see them around Rameswaram temple why?

This is interesting . There is village called Sundrapandiapuram close to TENKASI. Ther is no Iyengar in this place But the agrharam has a Rajagopalasamy temple.This a beautiful temple and every year people (Iyers of this village) from all over India come during month Thai staymin their house for ten day till Teppem festival on the last day.m You dont even have an Iyegar priest here I had been to this annual festival on several occasion.

Jambu

Dear Jambu

What am telling is not rameswaram. It is devipattinam. (Its near to rameswaram. Thats all). There is no temple here. Shri Rama has worshipped 9grahas here with sand stones. You can find even now these sand stones amidst of dharba grass in the sea. You have to get into a ship and visit the 9grahas amidst sea. Legends say Rama worshipped Shiva after killing ravana in rameswaram. But he worshipped these 9grahas even before to win in the war.

Pranams

Jews & Brahmins

Dear

On Page 8 The Hindu Business Line on 13 Jan 2010 there is an article The Tel Aviv Innovation cluster. I am unable to upload that article for your ready reading.But the article is about the Jews their population achievements aspiration their diaspora etc. the article may be true the status of Tamil Brahmins of the dayalso They are very much similar Jambu:cell:

Dear

On Page 8 The Hindu Business Line on 13 Jan 2010 there is an article The Tel Aviv Innovation cluster. I am unable to upload that article for your ready reading.But the article is about the Jews their population achievements aspiration their diaspora etc. the article may be true the status of Tamil Brahmins of the dayalso They are very much similar Jambu:cell:

jambu,

here is a new york times article on the tel aviv cluster

Op-Ed Columnist - The Tel Aviv Cluster - NYTimes.com

out of interest to the public, since you compared them with tamil brahmins, i will post this excerpt which refers to the jews' achievements

Jews are a famously accomplished group. They make up 0.2 percent of the world population, but 54 percent of the world chess champions, 27 percent of the Nobel physics laureates and 31 percent of the medicine laureates.

Jews make up 2 percent of the U.S. population, but 21 percent of the Ivy League student bodies, 26 percent of the Kennedy Center honorees, 37 percent of the Academy Award-winning directors, 38 percent of those on a recent Business Week list of leading philanthropists, 51 percent of the Pulitzer Prize winners for nonfiction.

jambu, on what basis are you comparing these immense achievements with tamil brahmins? to me it is like comparing pygmies to giants, if you don't mind.

i am not insulting our own group, but i think an exaggerated sense of our importance, is much akin to the proverbial frog in the well.

i would further like to hear from you, arguements about our 'achievements' which you feel, are on par with that of the jews. maybe there are truths and facts, about our community, that i am unaware.

thank you.

Dear Kujuppu

Tamil Brahamin Population n compared with Jews world over will be small No exact census available since cast based census in India is not there So if you have 4 Noble winners should you not be happy about it Current world chess champion is one of them Even my son studied in Ivy School. Percentage wise I think our achievements may be equal to them or below them since we do not have population Data This as far as achievement . The explanation given to this is Jewish faith encourages accountability it is learning based and not rite based. I think we are doing this daily you even have serial Engay Brhamanan? Is it not a form 0f learning to understand? It says Jews are good cooks economic mangers but bad soldiers Do not we qualify for this? Israelis have keep a foothold in USA At least some among us do that
I am not trying to blow own trumpet I thought our aspiration and out look are similar but may not be equal Come On Cheer Up
Jambu

jambu,

while i agree with you in spirit about aspirations, i cannot think of two communities who are so different from each other.

the jews are rooted in the biblical west asia, given acknowledgement by both christians and muslims, as a 'people of the book', have spread themselves over the milleniums to all parts of the world, particularly adapted to curiosness of learning and critical thinking, excelled in music and sciences, and alarmingly decimated to about 40% of their population during last world war.

tamil brahmins, even though have an ancient tradition, it is rooted in tamil nadu, one corner of india, have been on the top of the totem pole in the caste hierarchy and as a result benefited from the 'hand me down' erudition of rote learning with absolute subservience to the vedas and scriptures, till recently confined only to tamil nadu and its neighbours, never crossed the black water for fear of losing caste, introduced to modern sciences since early 20th century with the advent of english education, thanks to the energy created by the independence movement achieved for a brief period political leadership of tamil nadu, which they soon lost due to forces that they could not comprehend or control, of late taken to modern technologies and are in the process of making a comfortable living for themselves as hired technical & management help in commercial organizations.

if you meet the average chinese in the usa, their family probably has as much determination to strive to succeed. would it be appropriate to say that they are like jews too?

jambu, all i am trying to say, that we are trying to use education as a tool to success. much like any other community. in fact kerala christians and tamil christians were pioneers in this field in india.

everything has to be put in its own perspectives, i think. there is no one better or worse or even similar. all of us, while aspire to higher selves, still remain uniquely different groups.

thank you.

Dear Kujuppu

Tamil Brahamin Population n compared with Jews world over will be small No exact census available since cast based census in India is not there So if you have 4 Noble winners should you not be happy about it Current world chess champion is one of them Even my son studied in Ivy School. Percentage wise I think our achievements may be equal to them or below them since we do not have population Data This as far as achievement . The explanation given to this is Jewish faith encourages accountability it is learning based and not rite based. I think we are doing this daily you even have serial Engay Brhamanan? Is it not a form 0f learning to understand? It says Jews are good cooks economic mangers but bad soldiers Do not we qualify for this? Israelis have keep a foothold in USA At least some among us do that
I am not trying to blow own trumpet I thought our aspiration and out look are similar but may not be equal Come On Cheer Up
Jambu

Birthday &death ceremonies

Sir, I have a vague remembrance that a research paper was read in the first" World Tamil Conference" that Tamil Brahmins have been RULERS
in the present day "MEXICO" in South America. a few centuries back.
CAN ANYONE CLARIFY ON THIS?
B.Krishnamurthy

DEAR KUNJAPPU
In lighter vain once Once T. N. Seshan (Election Commissioner) Made this observation regarding Palaghat Brahmins They are one of the 4 Cs Cooks Clerks Carnatic Muscians or Crooks! Good day

Dear all,

I hope someone can help me out here.
During death funerals...Maha Mrtunjaya Mantra is recited...
I just want to know if Maha Mrtunjaya Mantra(Om Tryambakam Yajamahe) is recited during the funeral of a Vaishnava?
If it is not recited what equavalent Mantra is recited?

thanks in advance
renu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back