• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Being Vegetarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct . Kasi brahmins are by nature non vegetarians. so also, I think, Bengai Brahmins. The very name brahmins does not imply sativic in all respects over all. Tamil brahmins have tight controls and niyamams. Can we have from learned people of any authentic references as to how tamil brahmins are isolated from the other lots of brahmins and justifications in respect to adhere to strict norms.

Most of the coastel brahmins, Bengal, Orissa, Konkan coast eat fish. Only Andhra, Tamilnadu and Kerala coastel brahmins don't eat fish.

One has to look it from global warming angle rather than religious/customs angle. UN report says meat eating accounts for 20% of global warming. In the western world, animals are fed with grains and pulses and hence 20% figure may be correct. In India, only residues such as Paddi straw, Oil cakes, waste cotton seeds are offered to cows and the 20% global warming theory may not hold good.

Dear All

I am very surprised to note from the above statements that animal sacrifice and eating flesh were in practice among Brahmin communities in olden days. And that only after Jainism and Buddhism emerged, Brahmins have restrained themselves from such practices...

I am really shocked to note this as I never took an interest to explore the existence of such peculiarities in centuries back.

Till date I was under an impression that Brahmins in olden days were duty bound to serve the Supreme Power and were against slaughtering animals right from the day a community called Brahmin started existing...I never could imagine that such practices were supported in Vedas as well....I am really astonished.

I was told by my parents and other elders in the family as why we Brahmins don't eat flesh.

I could come to know that - All living creatures on this Earth are formed by a combination of Five Elements (PANCHABHUTAM). Namely -

1) EARTH (PRITHVI)
2) WATER (JAL)
3) AIR (VAYU)
4) FIRE (AGNI)
5) SOUND (ETHER)

Ether is the unique one as it has only one character i.e. eternal. Ether is the carrier of sound be it man made or otherwise. One can hear it. As ether is the only eternal element of the five elements it attracted the attention of various sages. The concept of Akashvani or Devine sound which is heard by sages of higher order is related to this Ether or Akasha.

Here I would like to highlight as per the above last stanza (highlighted in Green), that this Ether (SOUND) is the one that distinguishes Living Beings and Non-Living substances on the Earth. Every living creature can hear the sound and all the living creatures including Humans can understand the meaning of different sounds emanated by their fellow beings.

This Sound is exactly a cause of FEELINGS and SENSE in a Living Creature and during it's life time tries to protect it's Life.

All the living creatures including Human Beings are related to JIVATMA and the Eternal God as PARAMATMA.

It is made clear to we Brahmins that we should not kill and eat any JIVATMA as every JIVATMA has taken the birth on this Earth as per their Karma to do Sadhna, go through the process of purification and at last attain Mukthi and reach PARAMATMA.

When we got such a clear notification from our peers, I could not understand why Brahmins in Kolkata (as I know very well) eat Fish considering it just a water plant and not as JIVATMA that has Flesh, Blood and body systems to survive like any other living creature on this Earth.

Owing to the above fact of JIVATMA, I feel we should never give a hint to the present and future generation of we Brahmins that eating flesh as Brahmins can not be wrong as per Vedas and Old age stories.

We never lived during those period and could never justify our self eating flesh citing old age examples. Such things would have been existing before a community called BRAHMIN was established clearly and strict principles were laid down as per acquired knowledge by our ancestors.

So, it is better for us to strictly follow non-vegetarian system of living and not to fill our stomach with Flesh by killing other JIVATMA.

Cheers...

RAVI

When I was very young, I asked one of my friends who eats non-veg, whether it was not a sin to kill other living beings for one's food, he told 'we don't kill any; we only eat meat". I didn't relent.

"For your food, if someone else kills also, it is to your account only. Then, how do you justify?".

To this, he said, "Even plants have life. Don't you eat them - seeds, leaves, stems,
vegetables or fruits- for your food?".

I thought for a while and said:

"We don't kill the plants. We only use some parts of the plants and trees. Only in case of groundnuts, keerai, sugarcane etc., the plants meet their end. Another difference is these plants are not mobile like other living beings like insects, birds, animals etc. and killing these creatures is always accompanied by their bleeding too.
From the point of hygiene too, whatever ailments or diseases these animals had will spread to those who eat them too. From the point of view of Bhagawad Gita, people who eat meat will acquire the mean qualities of the animals killed and eaten too.

'Eat no meat; but add 'm' to 'eat'. ('m' here stands for mercy towards other living beings.

"Unnal padaikkappadatha edhaiyum azhippatharku
unakku urimai illai;
anaal, nee padaitha edhaiyum azhippathrko
unakku idhayamillai.
Aaga,
azhiththal enbathu eppothume,
un kaiyil illai".

Last edited:
Dear C.Ravi ji,

I know that it is very difficult to digest that " Long Long ago , some rishi's had to eat non-veg , may be to survive or for a requirement of a homam , etc etc ..
And
I feel your decision as a result of your attitude that " Our peers have carried on the tradition of being vegetarians " which needs to be continued and transferred to future generations is definitely worthy and validated if and only :

1) The Vegetables / Fruits that we consume have all the essential nutrients and all available in the geographical area that a person resides in ! ( As you know , the cultivation of vegetables now a days is artificially done with chemicals and the produce is made within the shortest possible time - So the nutrition from a tomato of the present day may be 1/4 th of what it used to be in our good old days !)

2) Now the next question is our dependence on so many antibiotics / codliver oil and things like that which come from animals - These also should not be consumed - Do we have a choice to advise the doctors to provide a " Vegetarian medicine ??" So the point is if not Directly, indirectly i have my dependence on animal extracts !

3) Finally , although we have seen in the major hypermarkets that tons and tons of vegetables are sold each day along with the non-veg items ! Will the world have sufficient produce of veg stuff if all the non-veggies get converted , for a discussion sake ?

4) As our discussion here is only about the non-veg food , the list does not include the clothing - wool , pattu pudavai , leather shoes , belts etc which also we get , thanks to the sacrifice of so many animals and insects.

Although the above has been repeated over and over again ( aracha mavu , as shri kunjuppu ji mentions ,) i would like to know - What's your take on this ?

Reverred Sree Narayana Guru, was a vegetarian. One person wanted to taunt Guru. When Guru was taking cow’s milk, he went to Guru and asked.

”Guruswami, you are drinking cow’s milk.Then why are you not eating meat?’

Guru asked back “ Whetehr your mother is alive?’

“No Guru”

“Then did you bury her or eat her”

Dear C.Ravi ji,

I know that it is very difficult to digest that " Long Long ago , some rishi's had to eat non-veg , may be to survive or for a requirement of a homam , etc etc ..
And
I feel your decision as a result of your attitude that " Our peers have carried on the tradition of being vegetarians " which needs to be continued and transferred to future generations is definitely worthy and validated if and only :

1) The Vegetables / Fruits that we consume have all the essential nutrients and all available in the geographical area that a person resides in ! ( As you know , the cultivation of vegetables now a days is artificially done with chemicals and the produce is made within the shortest possible time - So the nutrition from a tomato of the present day may be 1/4 th of what it used to be in our good old days !)

2) Now the next question is our dependence on so many antibiotics / codliver oil and things like that which come from animals - These also should not be consumed - Do we have a choice to advise the doctors to provide a " Vegetarian medicine ??" So the point is if not Directly, indirectly i have my dependence on animal extracts !

3) Finally , although we have seen in the major hypermarkets that tons and tons of vegetables are sold each day along with the non-veg items ! Will the world have sufficient produce of veg stuff if all the non-veggies get converted , for a discussion sake ?

4) As our discussion here is only about the non-veg food , the list does not include the clothing - wool , pattu pudavai , leather shoes , belts etc which also we get , thanks to the sacrifice of so many animals and insects.

Although the above has been repeated over and over again ( aracha mavu , as shri kunjuppu ji mentions ,) i would like to know - What's your take on this ?

The message is that let us not propogate nonvegetarianism among the future generation of our Brahmin community quoting that our grand,grand ancestors were meat eaters and we can also restart the broken tradition.If the youngesters take up meat eating due to peers' compulsion it is their praraabdha.

S.Sridharan

Last edited:
:laser:Now in the world more and more people are turning to Vegetarianism particularly in the US.There there are lots of Vegans also who avoid dairy food.
But the sad part in once our yohgsters go abroad they seem to drop our values and gofor non veg even though it is not necessary.The standard excuse is "no veg food is available" is wrong.It is a result of wrong thinking that if they go to non-veg they will soar.
let us hope the god preserves our veetaria tradition

Sadasivam.Sridharan:-

"although we have seen in the major hypermarkets that tons and tons of vegetables are sold each day along with the non-veg items ! Will the world have sufficient produce of veg stuff if all the non-veggies get converted , for a discussion sake ?"

My humble answer would be, 'yes'. To raise cattle for meat, it takes a huge paddock. If that size of paddock is used for producing vegetables, yes, a vast quantity of vegitables can be produced. Sometimes when I go out for wandering ( literally), I used to buy tomatoes, fresh farm produced @10 to 15 cents a kilo! When I inquired about that, the farmer said it was surplus (after supplying the market demand). Honestly, markets are not large enough to procure the vegetables produced. So, in the unlikely event of everyone turning to vegitarian-only diet, yes, the demads can be met.

Dear Vijisesh ji.

You are absolutely true that today’s vegetables lack nutritious values as compared to the olden golden days...At the same time we can not rule out completely the existence of some % of nutrition values in them.

To keep our self (Vegetarians) we are consuming Ghee, Curd, Nuts, Milk, Soya Milk, Grains, Dals, Spices of Medicinal Values etc...etc....Consumption of these stuffs regularly can protect us from many diseases and can keep us healthy.

I want to emphasis that all of them are available in allmost every part of this world.

But it is ironical to note that some of the strict vegetarian have started eating non-veg. to enjoy varieties of delicious food recipes...in the pretext of keeping good health. These Non-vegetarian food would certainly be delicious due to witch NB's are consuming.

We can not say that Non-brahmins are doing sin by killing and eating Animals...This is the nature's rule, administered by GOD to balance the Ecosystem. We human beings have been categorized basically in terms of Religion, Cast and Profession by almighty to maintain the balance on this earth. We need not to look them down and need not to avoid them in any ways. Off course we are not doing that now a days as much civilized people unlike in olden days.

We brahmins are supposed to be priests, performing poojas at temples and other religious activities...The revolutions has attracted us to get into different field of work as a passion and for a better life style...This does not mean that we can ignore the underlined principles of our Cast.

We need not to expect Non-vegetarians to convert into vegetarians....Let them be as they are as natures rule to maintain the balance. Otherwise there would be death of vegetables and the cost would be exorbitant.

Moreover there is nothing wrong for them to enjoy the delicious non-vegetarians varieties...They have their own eligibility....

MEDICINES - Off course many of the English Medicines includes animal extracts...But we are helpless...we can not avoid them. It's all the need of the hours. In today’s world we could hardly find any Ayurvedic doctor/clinic nearby. Buy consuming Avurvedic medicines we can not be in diet and wait for a long time to get cured and get into our work...

As no other substitute we are forced to have Alopathy medicines containing animal extracts...We are consuming these medicines neither to enjoy it's taste nor to have fun. But as a only resort.

As far as using Pattu Cloths, leather belts, shoes, chappals etc are concerned, it is the fact that we are living in a very different world than tha one, thousands of years back. We are forced to use these products for various unavoidable reasons. Even if we stop using them, these products would still be manufactured and sold in the market. We would have no choice other than these stuffs...

These shoes, chappals, belts etc are all been processed out of the waste product of the animals (skin, than can not be eaten by other community). Thus I believe it is not going to violate our system considerably.

In fact tying a piece of Deer skin with Poonal is considered much sacred. As well sitting on Deer skin and performing pooja.

I would like to emphasis that we must strongly believe in our tradition, culture and its laid principles as established from the beginning of the existence of Brahmin Cast. Off course all these rules are as per valid explanations (I have already indicated in my previous post about PANCHABHUTHAM), reasons and obeying the natures rule.

Let us join hands together to determine and understand our self as what is right and what is wrong for us being born as Brahmins and take oath sincerely to never to change over to non-vegetarian live style giving lame excuses...

That is the only way to sustain our cast, rites and rituals that are all absolutely rich and pure in its own ways...

Cheers...

RAVI

Dear Vijisesh ji.

You are absolutely true that today’s vegetables lack nutritious values as compared to the olden golden days...At the same time we can not rule out completely the existence of some % of nutrition values in them.

To keep our self (Vegetarians) we are consuming Ghee, Curd, Nuts, Milk, Soya Milk, Grains, Dals, Spices of Medicinal Values etc...etc....Consumption of these stuffs regularly can protect us from many diseases and can keep us healthy.

I want to emphasis that all of them are available in allmost every part of this world.

But it is ironical to note that some of the strict vegetarian have started eating non-veg. to enjoy varieties of delicious food recipes...in the pretext of keeping good health. These Non-vegetarian food would certainly be delicious due to witch NB's are consuming.

We can not say that Non-brahmins are doing sin by killing and eating Animals...This is the nature's rule, administered by GOD to balance the Ecosystem. We human beings have been categorized basically in terms of Religion, Cast and Profession by almighty to maintain the balance on this earth. We need not to look them down and need not to avoid them in any ways. Off course we are not doing that now a days as much civilized people unlike in olden days.

We brahmins are supposed to be priests, performing poojas at temples and other religious activities...The revolutions has attracted us to get into different field of work as a passion and for a better life style...This does not mean that we can ignore the underlined principles of our Cast.

We need not to expect Non-vegetarians to convert into vegetarians....Let them be as they are as natures rule to maintain the balance. Otherwise there would be dearth of vegetables and the cost would be exorbitant.

Moreover there is nothing wrong for them to enjoy the delicious non-vegetarians varieties...They have their own eligibility....

MEDICINES - Off course many of the English Medicines includes animal extracts...But we are helpless...we can not avoid them. It's all the need of the hours. In today’s world we could hardly find any Ayurvedic doctor/clinic nearby. Buy consuming Avurvedic medicines we can not be in diet and wait for a long time to get cured and get into our work...

As no other substitute we are forced to have Alopathy medicines containing animal extracts...We are consuming these medicines neither to enjoy it's taste nor to have fun. But as a only resort.

As far as using Pattu Cloths, leather belts, shoes, chappals etc are concerned, it is the fact that we are living in a very different world than tha one, thousands of years back. We are forced to use these products for various unavoidable reasons. Even if we stop using them, these products would still be manufactured and sold in the market. We would have no choice other than these stuffs...

These shoes, chappals, belts etc are all been processed out of the waste product of the animals (skin, than can not be eaten by other community). Thus I believe it is not going to violate our system considerably.

In fact tying a piece of Deer skin with Poonal is considered much sacred. As well sitting on Deer skin and performing pooja.

I would like to emphasis that we must strongly believe in our tradition, culture and its laid principles as established from the beginning of the existence of Brahmin Cast. Off course all these rules are as per valid explanations (I have already indicated in my previous post about PANCHABHUTHAM), reasons and obeying the natures rule.

Let us join hands together to determine and understand our self as what is right and what is wrong for us being born as Brahmins and take oath sincerely to never to change over to non-vegetarian live style giving lame excuses...

That is the only way to sustain our cast, rites and rituals that are all absolutely rich and pure in its own ways...

Cheers...

RAVI

Vegetarianism is emerging as a new solution to solving the climate change challenge. The latest to champion the cause is the best-known climate economist Nicholas Stern, who has said that turning vegetarian would help to check climate change.He told FE in an exclusive interview, "A vegetarian diet is climate friendly. It's less carbon intensive. Though eating food is a matter of personal choice, it is desirable to help people make informed decisions."The director of the India Observatory at the London School of Economics was in the capital to deliver a lecture on "Building an Equitable Agreement on Climate Change", which was organised by Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relation along with the Management Development Institute.He is not alone in taking up the dietary aspect of climate change. Earlier, Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) chairman Rajendra Pachauri called upon people to reduce meat
intake to become climate friendly. United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change chief Yvo de Boer has also said on record that the best climate change solution is to turn vegetarian.Now, even celebrities are joining the campaign. Paul McCartney and family are asking people to turn vegetarian for a day in a week. Apart from stars like Kevin Spacey, Woody Harrelson and Joanna Lumley, the Meat Free Monday campaign is reported to have the support of Virgin chief Richard Branson. The campaign seeks to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) from livestock.They have evidence to support their arguments. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation estimates that the livestock sector is responsible for 18% of the global greenhouse gas emissions in carbon dioxide equivalent. Besides, the livestock business also degrades land and pollutes water, according to Livestock's Long Shadow-Environmental Issues and Options.The emissions from the sector are set to increase in absolute numbers because meat production is projected to double by 2050. The emissions of the livestock sector
are caused by the manufacture and transportation of animal feed, deforestation, desertification, and emission of methane by ruminants like cattle and sheep. Carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide are the most important GHGs. While methane is 25-times as harmful as carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide is 300-times more harmful.Cutting down on meat not only helps in reducing emissions, but also the cost of fighting climate change, according to another study by the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency. Climate Benefits of Changing Diet has concluded that reducing meat intake would help slash the costs of fighting climate change. It would not only bring down emissions of methane and nitrous oxide, but also free up grazing land for carbon
sequestration. The study has estimated that low-meat diets help would cut the cost of stabilising GHG emissions by more than half in 2050.

Vegetarianism, the mantra to overcome climate change challenges - Yahoo! India News

Nature has its space for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food habits.

Normal arguments by human beings for and against one habit , doesn’t hold any relevance in the natural habitats of life.

Both the plant and animal food give needed nutrients to the takers.
Examples can be quoted for both.

However, I feel that , why not we leave these as personal choice? Just because one follows a particular habit, is it correct to despise others who don, t follow that ? Or for that matter just because one follows something does it deserve to be paraded and trumpeted for pride?

I am a vegetarian , by reasons of birth, habit and conviction. Nobody has a right to force me to be a non-vegetarian. Similary I don’t feel I have the right to force somebody to desist eating non-veg foods.

These are all good to satisfy one’s ego and can rouse emotions and hatred.

Let us Live and Let Live.

In Kaliyuga Being a Vegetarian itself is not going to be easy.

Namaskaram to all.

I just spent my 2.5 hours to go through this interesting thread and I was wondering why our powerful vedic brahmins put us into a very inconvenient position when most of us surviving based on some holy principles. . Initially, I was surprised to read that our vedic brahman used to eat meat. During my stay in Bengal, my neighbor brahmin,would buy fish, chicken (with some asattu expressionoda), everyday. When I asked about this, he said, since the fishes were from Mother Ganga's (river) they treat this as prasadams, I asked about its neighbor which was lying near to the holy prasadam (chicken). He said, due to the taste of fish, they upgraded their system.

Eventhough there is no relationship (I find) between the vedic brahmana and most of the present world brahmin, i don't know why we should follow them and eat NV. I just can not digest (may need some digene tablet) eating NV, and doing sandhi, doing pooja, simultaneously. It may be because of the Belief and internet-illiteracy:tsk:of the parents.

While we are discussing about killing animals for food, I wonder, why the food only restricted upto sadhu animals why not lion, tiger, bear, snake etc etc. I think in that case, there will be a different discussions - killing human for self-defense is dharma or not?

Is it oK if we kill defenseless animals for food?. Even in Mahabharata or BG, the killing is justified against those doing adharma or sides adharma. I also think, food is by choice by birth and taste. If somebody loves the taste, he can eat anything. It is matter of taste and cholesterol level.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have lived in Mumbai & Calcutta. But I never faced Anti-Brahmin sentiments as is in TN. Because of my friends, i used to visit some of the Tamil Forums. I feel that they are very angry with Brahmin because, according to them,TB brahmins twisted Hinduism by introducing countless rituals and prohibited anybody reading vedas, and even suppressed and not highlighted the fact that the Poonool is for 3 varnas. Because of their knowledge in sanskrit, they have bent the rules to show that they are superiors. As long as King, Prabhus were there, they were happy to share the power behind the POWER. Against their profession, they started to amass wealth. And too much madi acharam, made them more different group than the rest of the community. All in the name of caste. Once the king/Prabhu (Jamindar's) times collapsed, they became easy target and that is the only factor which is the lifeline of Dhravida கழகங்கள். I think these things only, separated TB from the rest of the T community. (I have read and understand from the discussion with some of the TB friends. So it may be researched further- if it is required). So, eating NV is not a bad idea to remain with other T community like inter-cast marriage, drinking, smoking etc etc to merge with the main stream. என்ன, by the time some of the other T community will become upgraded...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is different from the above 'feelings'. I am a fan of Dr Young. While "All the modern doctors" Sorry most of the modern doctors make a patient as a potential regular customer, I was so interested with this Dr Young who is the believer of Antoine Bechamp (1816-1908) (virus and germs are inside ones own body always) and who was opposed to the theory of Pasteur (virus or germs are coming from outside) who is the darling of the modern pharma MNC companies.

Mr Young is a micro biologist, he says, all the dis-eases are curable by food alone (suited me ), i enrolled myself and started to follow. He advocates complete vegetarianism. He has given examples of blood samples under microscope and advocates his findings and given the food characteristics, which may be of some interest. Since brahmin also evolved from (before)vedic times to present day, lets see what he got to say about the present human body.

He says, a dead body is acidic in nature. A living body should have good ph balance slightly more alkaline to kill the germs inside. So consumption of alkaline food that too plenty will only arrest the growth of all the bacterias (including cancerous ones which are already in everybody's body).

According to his information Estimated total death and percentage of total deaths for the 3 leading causes of death: US 1987
1. Heart Disease (total)- 35.7%
2. Cancers 22.4%
3. Strokes 7%
(I think now the percentage in US stays around 24% due to heart disease alone with 77years of life expectancy)

Accoding to his research we should avoid the following foods completely

1.Non Foods - Refined, over-processed and loaded with salt, sugar,coloring, additives and hardened (Hydrogenerated or partially hydrogenerated), veg oil, margarine, butter, and hidden ingradients in fiber and many essential nutrients- even the so called enriched one. (please refer to "sick and tired" by Dr Robert Young (micro biologist) for the effect of these foods).

2. Avoid Fruits
Because of sugar in fruit. It is the main fertilizer for the yiest and fungus in our body.
Exceptions - Lemon, Lime, nonsweat grape fruit (not orranges), tangerines.etc chemically acid at first but turns to alkaline ash after consumption.

3.Avoid Pork Beef Chicken Eggs Dairy Animal food in General
Whatever nutrients may be in animal food, it is not worth the stress put on the body and the energy required to extract them. Animal food is highly acid-forming and, as grown in the US, has high level of bacteria, Yiest/fungus, and associated toxins.

The methods involved in utilizing domesticated animals for human food involves a number of steps which increase the exposure of Yiest/fungus and their mycotoxins. He also advises to avoid all processed, Pickled and smoked meats such as sausages, hot dogs, corned beef, pastrami and pickled tongue or geet. Animal foods is a DEAD in every respect including a lack of enzymes. Alive with enzymes energy and phytonutrients, veg foods are far superior.

Here comes the interesting part.

Anatomically and physiologically, humans are just not carnivores or omnivores. Designed for the slow absorption of complex and stable plant food, the human digestive track is long and complicated. Unstable, dead animal food requires short, simple bowels, such as carnivores have, for minimum transit time. The intestinal flora of carnivores is different from that of human.Starch digestion in humans is quite eloborate, wheras carnivores eat little or no starch. If humans were carnivores, we would be sweating through the tongue instead of the skin. Flesh-eaters have teeth and jaws designed for tearing apart freshly killed animals. Only our hand tools allow us to override this obvious natural limitations, not to mention the fact that we get none of the nutrition that may be contained in fur (!) feathers, organs and bone, as do carnivores. Finally, we seldom eat raw flesh, but almost always have to cook it to kill parasites and morbidly evolved microforms, and to disguise it from the corpse that it is.

4. No commercially stored grains.

stored grains will begin to ferment in 90 days under most conditions. In a short time they will be full of mycotoxins.

5. No to all products containing baker's brewers yeast
Bread, muffins, pies,cakes,and pasteries.

6. No dairy products
8 ounces of milk have approximately twelve grams of lactose that can break into yiest and fungus feeding sugars.

7. Avoid condiments
Mustard Ketchup steak sauce soy sauce tamari mayonnaise salad dressings chili sauce horseradish and monosodium glutamate are no-no

8 avoid malt products

9 avoid edible fungi

10 Avoid alcohol

11. Peanuts and butter nuts to be aovided completely- it contains 26 different carcinogenic fungi.
12 corn and corn products
13 Smoking and chewing tobaccol
14 All caffeine products
15. Avoid Heated oils at all cost
16 Avoid all microwaved food - PERIOD.

WHAT TO EAT THEN?:typing:

Best foods

1. Dark Green Yellow Veg.
2. Sprouts
3. Carbohydrate Vegs, legumes and unstored grains (except corn)
4. Soy products for protein and other nutrients.

5. Fresh Freshwater fish is OK. (i am thinking about bengal brahmin babus)
Because of potential pollution better to avoid ocean fish and under no circumstances eat shellfish.
Freshwater fish is great.

6. WATER WATER WATER WATER

7. Take daily Vitamin and mineral supplement

8, Fresh herbs and spices

I have extracted from the book Sick and tired. So doctors in our forum can throw more light.

If you are interested pl visit pH Miracle Living

Regards

anand,

there is an extreme organization called peta - people for ethical treatment of animals.

true enough, in their fight for animals, these folks have killed a few humans - those involved in research using animals.

they have also set free several lab bound animals, and in the process destroyed years of research and knowledge.

myself, am a sympathetic vegetarian, would not be seen with these folks. right cause but wrong company.

there is nothing so horrid, as people associating with you for the wrong reasons.

it is increasigly apparent, that vegetarianism is good for the benefit of the earth. there are far too many people on this planet, for the poor soil to feed and even more seriously, disposing of our wastes - i am talking not only of our excrement, but the other wastes due to our day to day life - disposing needles after daily blood test, used diapers (which are expected to live for thousands of years), atomic wastes which are dumped in the ocean and so on.

the frightening this, that this is only bound to increase, with what has been a monopoly of the u.s. and europe, now seen as the future path of countries like india, china, brazil, russia, and others joining the que in the foreseeable future.

the call to vegetarianism is more a call to ethical living ie to undertand the limitations of the planet.

we are far too many people in this planet. increasing longevity and desire to procreate, will for the next 100 years, atleast see the population increasing exponentially and it may not taper off till the current numbers are doubled or even tripled.

the old causes of mass disasters are being controlled. no more mass influenza killing off millions. no more world wars. tsunamis are our only hope to polish off a few millions off the face of the earth.

in the light of such overpopulation, we are facing certain types of disasters.

the movement towards vegetarianism, is i think, one small step towards changing of people's ancestral attitude towards food. one need not kill to fulfill a basic need.

for those still keen on the look and flavour of their food, today there equivalents of meat products, derived from vegetable ingredients, and tasting close to the real stuff.

vegetarian steak? veggie tuna? veggie ham?

anand, a thoda query for you. will it be acceptable for the TB vegetarian to have something tastes of non veg, but made purely from veggie byproducts?

this is also a question to the public :)

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

Kettingale Oru Kelvi!...

At a time, when I started to visit (on my work) Thailand & Indonesia few years before, I had a very bad days initially only because of the non-availability of veg food. Though in the spiritual scale i am very close to zero, i somehow could not withstand the smell of NV. They are mixing NV with all eatable items.

Now i am experienced, so when ever I order a food, I will also include what should not be added(mushroom, cow's meat, chicken, it will be a long list - finally invariably the waiter will ask me, then what the hell shall i add?). Having said that, I still remember my plight for the first few days, in that situation if i was offered those mock-food you mentioned, still i would have kept my distance.

Cheers

Hello Kunjuppu, Greetings!

there is an extreme organization called peta - people for ethical treatment of animals.

true enough, in their fight for animals, these folks have killed a few humans - those involved in research using animals.

Yes, PETA is a little too aggressive, but I have not heard of them killing humans, are you sure about this?

BTW, I do not think the vegetarianism of Brahmins/Hindus has anything to do with ahimsa a la Jains or Buddists. It is very likely that the Brahmins of Vedic times were copious beef eaters. Their later vegetarianism starting about 7th century CE can most likely be traced to being holier-than-thou vis-a-vis Jains/Buddists. If the motivation is ahimsa, then all modern medicine, Bata shoes, belts, etc., all must go.

sorry nara, i did not do due diligence.

re peta involved in some murders, was a vague remembrance of what happened in england some years ago, as a result of which, resulted in the death of some scientist.

i could not find anything in google to substantiate it.

i am sorry :(

Shri. Kunjippu,

anand,

they have also set free several lab bound animals, and in the process destroyed years of research and knowledge.

myself, am a sympathetic vegetarian, would not be seen with these folks. right cause but wrong company.

there is nothing so horrid, as people associating with you for the wrong reasons.

it is increasigly apparent, that vegetarianism is good for the benefit of the earth. there are far too many people on this planet, for the poor soil to feed and even more seriously, disposing of our wastes - i am talking not only of our excrement, but the other wastes due to our day to day life - disposing needles after daily blood test, used diapers (which are expected to live for thousands of years), atomic wastes which are dumped in the ocean and so on.

the frightening this, that this is only bound to increase, with what has been a monopoly of the u.s. and europe, now seen as the future path of countries like india, china, brazil, russia, and others joining the que in the foreseeable future.

the call to vegetarianism is more a call to ethical living ie to undertand the limitations of the planet.

we are far too many people in this planet. increasing longevity and desire to procreate, will for the next 100 years, atleast see the population increasing exponentially and it may not taper off till the current numbers are doubled or even tripled.

the old causes of mass disasters are being controlled. no more mass influenza killing off millions. no more world wars. tsunamis are our only hope to polish off a few millions off the face of the earth.

in the light of such overpopulation, we are facing certain types of disasters.

the movement towards vegetarianism, is i think, one small step towards changing of people's ancestral attitude towards food. one need not kill to fulfill a basic need.

for those still keen on the look and flavour of their food, today there equivalents of meat products, derived from vegetable ingredients, and tasting close to the real stuff.

vegetarian steak? veggie tuna? veggie ham?

anand, a thoda query for you. will it be acceptable for the TB vegetarian to have something tastes of non veg, but made purely from veggie byproducts?

this is also a question to the public :)

I just reproduced the text from the link. I have not made personal comments on it. I understand the appeal is more from the point of view of saving the planet, one of the many positives of vegetarianism. I am for vegetarianism and ethical treatment of animals which also includes not killing animal for food but I will not make any value judgments on non-vegetarians. I would probably tell a TB non-vegetarian to continue so rather than keep carrying all the NV hangovers on his vegetarian food. What is the point?

.... What is the point?

saptha,

the point, is that there are more than one way to skin the cat (sorry for this comparison in this particular topic) :)

increasingly, vegetarianism in the west in growing, more by ethical calls re the damage done to the planet, in the course of feeding the animals.

one must undertand, that in the west, good crops used for food like corn, oats, wheat etc. are fed to these animals.

grain in the west is cheap. so is lentils. a vegetarian diet is among the most inexpensive items on this earth, anywhere.

in the west, there is the perception equating vegetarianism with poverty. not simply because the ingredients are cheap, but there is an underlying ignorance of how to cook tasty veggie dishes.

'a chicken in every pot' was the voting call of franklin roosevelt which helped him to victory, during the u.s. elections in 1932 in the midst of their 'great depression'.

i remember in early 1970s, one day i met my professor in the supermarket in toronto. he looked at my shopping cart, and rather mockingly asked me if i was a vegetarian. to my still shame, i denied it, and told him that i did my meat shopping elsewhere.

vegetarianism has come a long way, but there is a lot of ignorance.

to most folks in canada, vegetables is just that - boiled, with a dash of salt and pepper to flavour. you cannot blame these people for looking down on vegetarianism.

long time ago, i had something very expensive, which had the look, texture and flavour of our palghat paruppu thogayal. it was yummy. i was told this item, was among the most expensive of french cuisine, called pate de foix gras, made out of fattened goose liver.

now, i called these folks home and made our own pate ie thogayal, and i tell you, it went down like hot cakes!

the veggie folks have a task in popularizing their cusine.

the punjabis have done a good job. any indian food, automatically means curry food in the west.

i go to a great extent explaining the intricacies of the palghat food, the checks and balances, between the hot and the bland and the purpose of cool thayir saadham at the end.

also, bringing out the comparative nutritional value of the lentils, the value of trace minerals in our spices and above all the acquired tastes of citrons like narthangai or kadaarangai.

so, saptha, hope you can see where i am coming from.

i think, veggies have their job cut out for them. we just need the troops :)

incidentally, our chettinad cousins are doing a great marketing job with their 'banana leaf restaurant' concept. i had a taste of this in singapore in the 1980s.. it was very popular with the white tourists, who chugged away spicy fish head curry along with bottles of tiger beer!!!

through their sri lankan cousins, the chettinad concept is taking hold among the ethnic foods of toronto faster than saravanabhavan's local outlets.

in some ways, i am impressed by our high end hotels promoting kerala food. recently i was in chennai to attend a wedding. sure enough, the sambandhi wanted to impress us folks and treated us to a set meal at the park sheraton in adayar. this being onam time, they had sadhiya saapaadu. i would say of a superior variety to many other sadhiya saapaadu that i have tasted. there were about 20 of us, and the total bill came to close to ruppees 16,000 is definitely another matter .)

Last edited:
Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

I doubt a day would arrive when paruppu thogaiyal replaces fois gras, or when manathangali will replace caviar.

I agree with you that in North America, vegetarian food is often prepared unimaginatively, like just boiling and adding salt and pepper. But in the Mediterranean food culture (especially the French) uses vegetables and the pulses (including the lentils) in a tasty manner. The secret to their cuisine, which by the way has proven to be the best balanced cuisine promoting long life, is variety, using red meat sparingly, but having a perfect balance between meat/poultry/sea food with the vegetarian variety.

One aspect that folks consistently miss when arguing for vegetarianism is the food culture based on NV food preparations in most cultures around the world, which then, like a religion is intertwined with those cultures' expressions. This would be very hard to overcome, even if it becomes clear that for reducing the greenhouse emissions, especially methane, vegetarianism is the best.

To understand the cultural aspects of food, I would recommend a TV show by one Anthony Bourdain - it is shown in the USA on cable TV, I do not know about other countries. His shows are based on him visiting various countries to taste each one's unique dishes.

As you know, there are growing vegetarians in the west, based on on health advantages. But I sincerely doubt that this will ever become a majority culture. I have seen many vegans and the converted vegetarians, drift back and forth between V and NV cultures quite often.

Regards,
KRS

:eyebrows:... so shri kunjuppu, you see me everywhere.... (just kidding)... probably you see some similarities in the way shri anand and i present the case... or it may be similarities on thoughts??!! :)

i have had my say on this topic long ago... sure you must have read them...

:eyebrows:... so shri kunjuppu, you see me everywhere.... (just kidding)... probably you see some similarities in the way shri anand and i present the case... or it may be similarities on thoughts??!! :)

i have had my say on this topic long ago... sure you must have read them...

WHAT !!!! are you both not the same guy?

'a chicken in every pot' was the voting call of franklin roosevelt which helped him to victory, during the u.s. elections in 1932 in the midst of their 'great depression'.

Sorry to pull you up again Kunjuppu (you were very gracious earlier and I agree with your POV in this thread).

I think this slogan was used by Herbert Hoover against FDR in 1928. The TV sitcom, All in the Family used this in their opening credits.

For FDR it was Brother, can you spare a dime I think.

Cheers!

Sorry to pull you up again Kunjuppu (you were very gracious earlier and I agree with your POV in this thread).

I think this slogan was used by Herbert Hoover against FDR in 1928. The TV sitcom, All in the Family used this in their opening credits.

For FDR it was Brother, can you spare a dime I think.

Cheers!

was just testing your history nara :) :)

you pass :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back