• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Being Vegetarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Eastern Mind Ji,

I entirely agree with you that in some industrialized societies in the west where red meat is consumed almost on a daily basis, it leads to health issues. But I would aregue with you on comparing this issue with smoking and non-smoking. The main reason being, we are omnivores and not herbivores and so meat is an essential part of humankind's diet.

Societies where they have a balanced, variety of diet, such as mediterranean or even Japan and China, people live much longer healthy life.

But we all forget that food is also a part and parcel of a culture. People will not not be readily able to switch to an entirely vegetarian diet, in some cultures like the eskimos etc., because of the type of local food they can raise. Other cultures like China, France, Japan etc., which have a very proud culinary culture will not abandon the non vegetarian life style.

No one is arguing that a carefully selected vegetarian food is probably the best. But here also there are some questions and issues. Over long term, I do not know the issues emanating from making our bodies adapt to being a herbivore, in terms of evolution and what side effects it will bring. But on a personal choice basis, I have no problem switching to vegetarian food if I am a non-vegetarian and even extolling the virtues of vegetarian cuisine.

My problem is to making it such that it is tied to some non existent theological concept of eating meat as a sin or bad karma. To me, one should respect all traditions that have existed from a long time in human history. Of course as a global society we are learning to move towards what science tells us and what is good for the whole world. But this can not be acheived by deriding the habits of other cultures and food habits as sinful.

I do not think I am going to see a day very soon when the Thanksgiving day will be celebrated in the U.S. with soy turkey, instead of the real turkey.

Regards,
KRS

I do not think I am going to see a day very soon when the Thanksgiving day will be celebrated in the U.S. with soy turkey, instead of the real turkey.

Regards,
KRS

lol ... You may be correct here. It will be no turkey before it is soy turkey.

At least this discussion has not gotten into rude ranting with unchecked emotions from either side, as I'm sure you and I both have seen happen.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear Sri Eastern Mind Ji,

I appreciate your sense of humour. Which is probably lacking in my culture.

I sometimes get worked up when I come across culture centric, un empathetic views, which generally lack knowledge.

You are not one among those. Sorry if I came across as rude.

Regards,
KRS

Dear HH

why is there death then? if not for 'god', who kills us then? why are we not immortal? god should save and preserve his creation from the dukham of janma mrityu jara rogam right?

As per the law of nature, death will happen anyway even if we don't kill the animals. My point is only pertaining to the fact that humans as a superior species put to death innocent animals for food when alternative food choices are available. I feel man's nature is more base than an animal, probably why he is called a thinking animal. Even a animal kills its prey only when it is hungry.

i do not know about this sir, am not qualified to comment.

according to some gurus the fact that buddha died eating stale pork is just one small example. offering meat to bhikshuks was common then, and everyone including vedic brahmins were a meat eating class then. me too thinks it cud be true since the rig ved corresponded to the time period when man had not yet fully settled into agricultural way of life. was told all food (incl meat) was sanctified; and of course abundance of food is a post industrial phenomenon.

I am also not qualified to comment hence quoted the Acharya. But just as a layman, I am not able to gel certain things here. The Hindu pantheon of gods is replete with all kinds of animals as vaahana or worshiped as gods themselves. So we have snakes, cow, turtle, rat, peacock, elephant, lion and so on as symbols of veneration. Nature worship (Flora & fauna) was at its highest in our religion. So I have a problem reconciling the two - on one hand worship animals and on the other gorging on them. The class system was also an indicator that only a few classes like warriors or the shudras were meat eaters and not the whole society. I think agriculture was also well developed during those ages. The appeasement of gods like Varuna through yagnas was basically to have good rains and bountiful crop. Of course, the abundance of food through various techniques has been made possible to cater to the ever increasing population but relative to the size of the population in those times, I think food could have been in plenty.

Anand,

As per the law of nature, death will happen anyway even if we don't kill the animals. My point is only pertaining to the fact that humans as a superior species put to death innocent animals for food when alternative food choices are available. I feel man's nature is more base than an animal, probably why he is called a thinking animal. Even a animal kills its prey only when it is hungry.

my doubt was on why does god put us to 'death' and does not protect us if 'protection' is dharma?

not sure abt the availability of the alternative food choice part, i don't think ppl living in iceland, greenland eat many veggies, nor can eskimos give up fish as their staple diet...

man too kills an animal as a prey only when he is hungry...

I am also not qualified to comment hence quoted the Acharya. But just as a layman, I am not able to gel certain things here. The Hindu pantheon of gods is replete with all kinds of animals as vaahana or worshiped as gods themselves. So we have snakes, cow, turtle, rat, peacock, elephant, lion and so on as symbols of veneration. Nature worship (Flora & fauna) was at its highest in our religion. So I have a problem reconciling the two - on one hand worship animals and on the other gorging on them.

Humans obviously are designed to live in tune with nature. Keeping animals as pets is as natural as killing an animal for food. Man is designed to be a survivor race. If he has to kill to survive (to defend and to eat), there is nothing stopping him from it.

The class system was also an indicator that only a few classes like warriors or the shudras were meat eaters and not the whole society.

i don't think so. I don't think there was any varna-jathi system in the south. Who were the vaishya varna in the south for example? And there is ample evidence that vedic brahmins did consume meat.

I think agriculture was also well developed during those ages.

at around 2000 bc? agriculture was present alright, but to what capacity or extent? how abt the very early rig period from around the iron age period, say around 8000 bc? btw, rigved does not include rice (rice comes in the atharva period. The rig times were more of wheat, obviously of northwest origins, not sure growing wheat, barley was so easy in the rigved times).

The appeasement of gods like Varuna through yagnas was basically to have good rains and bountiful crop.

if not for a bountiful crop what wud hv been the next alternative? (btw, varuna was an ashur diety or asura. he became prominent in the atharva period while the rig period was more about indra)

Of course, the abundance of food through various techniques has been made possible to cater to the ever increasing population but relative to the size of the population in those times, I think food could have been in plenty.

well, we've heard of how the industrial revolution in europe caused increase in food supplies, how the agri-revolution in india increase in food supplies. Not sure if increasing food supplies wud have been that easy in the past.

Last edited:
In reincarnation, the soul shifts from human to animals to birds,or to the so called untouchable etc etc,based upon the accrued karma, and hence,in view of its soul, killing of any living being is believed to be opposed, even for food.

A good article on Vegetarianism by David Frawley
Hindu Voice UK - The Hindu Perspective

Another article on the meat industry
Vijayvaani.com

I came across this translation from the Gita below

loke vyavayamisa-madya-seva nitya hi jantor na hi tatra codana
vyavasthitis tesu vivaha-yajna-sura-grahair asu nivrttir ista (Bhag 11.5.11)

Meaning: Everyone is naturally inclined to have sex, eat meat, and drink wine. There
is no need for the scripture to encourage these things. The scriptures do, how-
ever, give concessions to people who are determined to do these things. They
grant license to enjoy sex by allowing sexual intercourse with one's lawfully
wedded wife at the proper time of the month. They grant a license to eat meat
to those who perform a certain kind of sacrifice, and a license to drink wine to
those who perform the Sautramari sacrifice. The purpose of granting these
licenses for sense gratification is only to restrict these activities and encourage
people to give them up altogether. The real intention of the Vedic injunctions
regarding sex, meat-eating, and wine-drinking is to make one abstain from these
activities.

Also came across the translations in Mahabharata and the Thirukural. May be someone knowledgeable can enlighten with the original Sanskrit and Tamil verses.

"The purchaser of flesh performs himsa (violence) by his wealth; he who eats flesh does so by enjoying its taste; the killer does himsa by actually tying and killing the animal. Thus, there are three forms of killing: he who brings flesh or sends for it, he who cuts off the limbs of an animal, and he who purchases, sells or cooks flesh and eats it - all of these are to be considered meat-eaters." - Mahabharata

"Greater than a thousand ghee offerings consumed in sacrificial fires is to not sacrifice and consume any living creature..." - Tirukural

In reincarnation, the soul shifts from human to animals to birds,or to the so called untouchable etc etc,based upon the accrued karma, and hence,in view of its soul, killing of any living being is believed to be opposed, even for food.

Which is probably why god too 'kills' or makes us have 'death' since its not the soul that dies, only the body. So to god there is no death or cesation of existence as "we see it" (that is, we in the material world).

Same goes for animals. Irrespective of whether god kills them or man kills them, they too have something called 'death'.

When a man kills an animal for food he does not eliminate its soul. His act is not adharmic (unless he kills without reasoning, and that part is attributed to the man's own karma portion).

A good article on Vegetarianism by David Frawley
Hindu Voice UK - The Hindu Perspective

Another article on the meat industry
Vijayvaani.com

I came across this translation from the Gita below

Meaning: Everyone is naturally inclined to have sex, eat meat, and drink wine. There
is no need for the scripture to encourage these things. The scriptures do, how-
ever, give concessions to people who are determined to do these things. They
grant license to enjoy sex by allowing sexual intercourse with one's lawfully
wedded wife at the proper time of the month. They grant a license to eat meat
to those who perform a certain kind of sacrifice, and a license to drink wine to
those who perform the Sautramari sacrifice. The purpose of granting these
licenses for sense gratification is only to restrict these activities and encourage
people to give them up altogether. The real intention of the Vedic injunctions
regarding sex, meat-eating, and wine-drinking is to make one abstain from these
activities.

Translation:

Loke = world (in this world)
Vyayava = sexual indulgence
Madya = wine
Sevaa = resort to
Nitya - always
Hi = surely
Tatra = therefore
Codana = impel, invite
Vyavasthitis = is arranged
Tesu = in them
Vivaha = marriage
Yajna = vedic sacrifice
Sura-grahir = accepting glasses of sura
Asu = of them
Nivrttr = cesation
ista = desired.

Literal translation cud be construed to mean more than one interpretation. It cud also mean no matter if we are designed or arranged by nature to resort to or feel impelled to indulge in sex, wine, marriage, vedic sacrifice, drinking sura, the final goal desired is cesation from it all. Where does it say explicitely that one must not eat meat?

perhaps one can understand the above shloka wrt to these ones:

tasmat tvam uttistha yaso labhasva
jitva satrun bhunksva rajyam samrddham
mayaivaite nihatah purvam eva
nimitta-matram bhava savya-sacin

"Therefore get up. Prepare to fight and win glory. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a flourishing kingdom. They are already put to death by My arrangement, and you, O Savyasaci, can be but an instrument in the fight."

Is not an animal sometimes destained to kill a man (irrespective of whether its due to a tiger's teeth or due to a fatal malaria bearing mosquitoe)? Is not a man sometimes destained to kill an animal? Are we (both we humans and animals) not instruments in that role?

na veda-yajnadhyayanair na danair
na ca kriyabhir na tapobhir ugraih
evam-rupah sakya aham nr-loke
drastum tvad anyena kuru-pravira

"O best of the Kuru warriors, no one before you has ever seen this universal form of Mine, for neither by studying the Vedas, nor by performing sacrifices, nor by charity, nor by pious activities, nor by severe penances can I be seen in this form in the material world."

According to this, neither vedas, nor rituals, nor charity, nor pious activity, nor penace can show god to us. If Krishna did not condemn killing, is killing an unpious activity (unless in self-defence or in self-need for food) ?

Will try to find the mahabharata translation part, but abt the thirukkural part:

"Greater than a thousand ghee offerings consumed in sacrificial fires is to not sacrifice and consume any living creature..." - Tirukural
this probably means thirukkural was either non-vedic, or buddhist / jain (thiruvalluvar is contested to be a jain who lived after the vedic period).

Btw, there is emphasis on moderation in the BG (irrespective of whatever the diet is):

naty-asnatas ’tu yogo ’sti
na caikantam anasnatah
na cati-svapna-silasya
jagrato naiva carjuna

There is no possibility of one’s becoming a yogi, O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or does not sleep enough.

yuktahara-viharasya
yukta-cestasya karmasu
yukta-svapnavabodhasya
yogo bhavati duhkha-ha

He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

Last edited:
Dear Shri KRS

Sir, again, eating anything does not accrue karma. Killing to eat, be it animals, plants and as in the recent past cannibalism even does not accrue any karma. Cannibalism as a practice has mainly stopped because as our ethics and justice evolve we do not practice this. Will this happen to meat eating also over time is an open question. But not on a 'sin' or 'karma' basis. Because there is no karma attached to any action if the act is natural. And there is no such thing as karma accruing out of 'unknowing' actions. By the way, killing an animal quickly for food is not regarded as 'torture' in most religions. You are using words out of your own emotions that are not accepted as true by the majority.

This view arises because you primarily look upon the world as if they exist for the gratification of humans. You then talk about ethics; where did ethics evolve from? Again, I repeat, I have nowhere used the word sin; you should introspect as to why I have avoided it. You persistently equate my sentences to mean 'bad karma' or 'sin'. You have missed the mark by miles.

Another group may claim that torture, per se, is not torture at all, but a kind of sacrifice and hence every being is to be tortured. Such groups come and go as the leaves on a tree. But that is not my concern. And again, majority is not always right. You are meandering here. Every act has an effect, whether they be dharmic or adharmic - that is why the enlightened try to attain the samadhi state where there are no thoughts - hence no desires and hence no karma.

I am not writing the mechanics of rocket science; trust you would see the intent in my posts.

This is a very popular saying in Tamil. As I have said, I do not need to explain non vegetarianism, which is natural. It is you who claim that non vegetarianism is a sin and accrues karma. What is natural need not be explained. What is unnatural, which is making a a whole species of omnivores in nature in to herbivores, claiming that it is 'unnatural' to kill an animal for food. Our svabhave is to eat meat. It is like a lion thinking that it is a cow. Just because our mind has certain empathy does not make it natural for it to think opposite to what has been true for millenia.

Popular saying? You are kidding me? How old is this saying? Some jerk has said something in the past and it has been popularised by other jerks who see it as a way to justify their craving for meat. I do not see this as a valid counter at all.

If I were to take on your word, human svabhava consists of a lot more degrading and debasing acts apart from consuming meat; and the way you put it seems like they are all valid acts! Maybe you should have a word with the lawmakers!

You say: It is like a lion thinking that it is a cow. Just because our mind has certain empathy does not make it natural for it to think opposite to what has been true for millenia.

I say: You think you are a lion and try to compromise the issue - a flawed thought process. The fact that we have a mind and a feeling of empathy is reason enough for us to shun away from killing. It is this discriminatory (using it in the positive sense) power that has spurred humankind to greater pursuits.

Technology is helping - now you farm animals for food. But no one has the right to impose a particular diet on others, when for millenia we were omnivores and just because we can raise vegetable, we say we should be herbivores based on some unfounded theology! Eating meat is a birth right for all humans and has no sin/karma attached. If some do not want to do it, it is their choice. But do not argue on any theological reasons for doindg so, because there is none.

Again, you are missing the fundamental point here. I am not imposing anything, but merely stating the fact that killing animals for food involves much more karmic results. You are equating sin with karma here, which I do not. Leave the theology aside, and think from a broad based viewpoint rather than the narrow point of just looking after humankind alone. There is merit which you cannot ignore. Your thoughts reek of someone who is concerned with humankind alone. Dharma is not just concerned with humans alone - it encompasses the whole world along with its numerous beings. 'Loka samastha sukhino bavanthu'.

I did not say I am. But you are the one who said that our scriptures say so! So, you can not exactly say where in scriptures it says that killing an animal for food is a sin or accrues bad karma?

You quote some arbitrary tamil saying and try to justify your point and have the temerity to question the validity of the above. For the record, I did not say that I quoted my point from scriptures, but that I heard it from learned souls. I have given an youtube link in which Shri Velukkudi Krishnan speaks of the above. Be kind so as to lend your ears to it, will you! (esp from the 6:50th minute of play)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2WspCRl5xE&feature=PlayList&p=EC438FF0F4B75C57&index=0&playnext=1

Again, when one can not substantiates, one repeats the 'truth' of one's statement. You are right! Karma will not accrue just because you say it does.

Spoken like the wise. Please apply some of it to your own posts along the way.

Oh, then why, all this hoopla about Tamil Brahmins abandoning the traditions? What is good for the goose must be good for the geese also! Imagine tomorrow you are forced to give up your vegetarianism? How would you feel? Then why would you want to label the non vegetarians, who have been after all following the traditions of their forefathers for millenia, for which all our bodies are designed for by Him, as doing something bad and non refined? I think your mind is so refined, it can not anymore figure out what is natural and what is unnatural.

Again you are circumventing the issue; there is a huge difference between the traditions which brahmins follow and the heritage (which you purport) of eating meat.

You say: 'What is good for the goose must the good for the geese also'

I say: Definitely as they are one and the same (with a gender difference). But the acts you compare here are are not goose and gander (or rather geese, as in your dictionary). the comparison is null and void.

You say: Then why would you want to label the non vegetarians, who have been after all following the traditions of their forefathers for millenia, for which all our bodies are designed for by Him, as doing something bad and non refined?

I say: Only your capable mind could have thought of such a meaning when all I intended was to show that there are more 'karmic' results (note the absolute term) by killing animals for food.

Sir, nature is NOT due to karma. It is the other way around. Nature support Dharma. Anything AGAINST nature is adharma, which creates bad karma. No where in any religious tradition, including our own where killing for food (except for cows in our religion) is viewed as 'sin' or generating 'bad karma'. All this stems out of personal beliefs about all killings, based out of no broad theological backing.

Oh well, if you say so, the world could probably turn around on itself upside down, is it?

Dear sir, dharma supports nature. Nature is the result of karma. So in the end, dharma aids karma.

Every act has an effect, whether they be dharmic or adharmic - that is why the enlightened try to attain the samadhi state where there are no thoughts - hence no desires and hence no karma.

Was told this [told orally only (no written evidence available) by someone whose guru took jeeva samadhi]:

Samadhi happens after food and water has been given up.

Before that only fruits that have fallen off trees are eaten. Nothing is plucked off plants.

Dear HH

Which is probably why god too 'kills' or makes us have 'death' since its not the soul that dies, only the body. So to god there is no death or cesation of existence as "we see it" (that is, we in the material world).

Same goes for animals. Irrespective of whether god kills them or man kills them, they too have something called 'death'.

When a man kills an animal for food he does not eliminate its soul. His act is not adharmic (unless he kills without reasoning, and that part is attributed to the man's own karma portion).

Sorry, HH, this logic of yours is sounds weird to me. Firstly, god does not "kill", he just has made laws which says all beginning has an end. This is true for all beings including even the demi-gods when everything merges into the Supreme Being when the universe is annihilated. Now, there is a huge difference between god playing god and man playing god. That's why you cannot say whether god kills or man kills. Also your phrasing that god kills goes totally against the Hindu concept of god being loving and kind. Death is brought about by karma and there are lot of stories of beings reaching immortality, examples being Vysya or Hanuman.

Killing has nothing to do with the soul. Just because the soul is not killed do we leave criminals to go free? Which case there need not be any laws. Imagine a situation like this. I feel lazy to go buy vegetables or a chicken, so I kill my neighbor and eat him saying his soul is intact. I think we should stick to the physical realm of things because that is how we operate. Talking about soul is an area for higher beings.

Translation:

Loke = world (in this world)
Vyayava = sexual indulgence
Madya = wine
Sevaa = resort to
Nitya - always
Hi = surely
Tatra = therefore
Codana = impel, invite
Vyavasthitis = is arranged
Tesu = in them
Vivaha = marriage
Yajna = vedic sacrifice
Sura-grahir = accepting glasses of sura
Asu = of them
Nivrttr = cesation
ista = desired.

Literal translation cud be construed to mean more than one interpretation. It cud also mean no matter if we are designed or arranged by nature to resort to or feel impelled to indulge in sex, wine, marriage, vedic sacrifice, drinking sura, the final goal desired is cesation from it all. Where does it say explicitely that one must not eat meat?

perhaps one can understand the above shloka wrt to these ones:

tasmat tvam uttistha yaso labhasva
jitva satrun bhunksva rajyam samrddham
mayaivaite nihatah purvam eva
nimitta-matram bhava savya-sacin

"Therefore get up. Prepare to fight and win glory. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a flourishing kingdom. They are already put to death by My arrangement, and you, O Savyasaci, can be but an instrument in the fight."

Here, Krishna means the evil Kauravas and not innocent animals.

Is not an animal sometimes destained to kill a man (irrespective of whether its due to a tiger's teeth or due to a fatal malaria bearing mosquitoe)? Is not a man sometimes destained to kill an animal? Is killing adharmic? Are we (both we humans and animals) not instruments in that role?

Here you are equating man and the animal. Man has the ability to think while the animal cannot, at least not to the extent of man. So this is where we use our wisdom. If the malaria bearing mosquito kills us we also use chemicals to kill them. tit for tat. Generally, animals don't kill unless their territory is encroached upon and the encroaching is usually done by man. We have read about elephants venturing into villages and attacking man because the forest cover has been depleted by man. If one compares man to animals, we can find the present day man behaving worse than animals. Sorry to digress, but look at the man made problems like poverty, corruption, war, environmental pollution and so on and look at the animal kingdom. All the animals seem to say is allow to function in our habitat without killing us for food and poaching us for our skins. Honestly, I find animals killing man to be minuscule compared to man killing man or man killing animals. Please read the Vijayvani article I sent earlier in full to understand what the thinking man is capable of.

na veda-yajnadhyayanair na danair
na ca kriyabhir na tapobhir ugraih
evam-rupah sakya aham nr-loke
drastum tvad anyena kuru-pravira

"O best of the Kuru warriors, no one before you has ever seen this universal form of Mine, for neither by studying the Vedas, nor by performing sacrifices, nor by charity, nor by pious activities, nor by severe penances can I be seen in this form in the material world."

According to this, neither vedas, nor rituals, nor charity, nor pious activity, nor penace can show god to us. If Krishna did not condemn killing, is killing an unpious activity (unless in self-defence or in self-need for food) ?

What you just quoted above is the Viswaroopa Darshan of Krishna as seen by Arjuna with Divine Sight. This is not the normal form of god as felt and seen by anyone. Even Arjuna had to be given divine eyes to see the Viswaroopa because it is a terrible sight which cannot be seen by mere mortals. Even Arjuna at the end begs Krishna to return to the form he always knew as loving and merciful. So Krishna rightly said that this form cannot be seen by studying the Vedas or charity or piety because you cannot bear the intensity of seeing it. It does not mean I can go around killing anyone because anyway I cannot see this form of the lord by being pious.

Will try to find the mahabharata translation part, but abt the thirukkural part:

this probably means thirukkural was either non-vedic, or buddhist / jain (thiruvalluvar is contested to be a jain who lived after the vedic period).

Thirukkural was called the Fifth Veda especially by Tamils. A lot of it is directly inspired by the Vedas and the Acharya himself extensively quotes from the Kural.

Btw, there is emphasis on moderation in the BG (irrespective of whatever the diet is):

naty-asnatas ’tu yogo ’sti
na caikantam anasnatah
na cati-svapna-silasya
jagrato naiva carjuna

There is no possibility of one’s becoming a yogi, O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or does not sleep enough.

yuktahara-viharasya
yukta-cestasya karmasu
yukta-svapnavabodhasya
yogo bhavati duhkha-ha

He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

Moderation is a key to lot of things and so also abstinence for a lot of things as well.

Dear HH

my doubt was on why does god put us to 'death' and does not protect us if 'protection' is dharma?

I posted my thoughts on this in the subsequent mail.

not sure abt the availability of the alternative food choice part, i don't think ppl living in iceland, greenland eat many veggies, nor can eskimos give up fish as their staple diet...

Exclusions are always there just like certain classes were excluded from meat eating in our society. I think this discussion is taking place due to the large scale slaughter of animals within the meat processing industry by artificially making these animals fat (more bang for the buck) so we get more meat and the harmful impact of it. I don't think the vegetarians even in their vivid imagination are dreaming to convert possibly 80% of the world population who could be meat eaters.

man too kills an animal as a prey only when he is hungry...

Unfortunately, the present day man is always hungry gorging on food.

I am also not qualified to comment hence quoted the Acharya. But just as a layman, I am not able to gel certain things here. The Hindu pantheon of gods is replete with all kinds of animals as vaahana or worshiped as gods themselves. So we have snakes, cow, turtle, rat, peacock, elephant, lion and so on as symbols of veneration. Nature worship (Flora & fauna) was at its highest in our religion. So I have a problem reconciling the two - on one hand worship animals and on the other gorging on them.

Humans obviously are designed to live in tune with nature. Keeping animals as pets is as natural as killing an animal for food. Man is designed to be a survivor race. If he has to kill to survive (to defend and to eat), there is nothing stopping him from it.

Sigh, Sigh. What more can I say?

The class system was also an indicator that only a few classes like warriors or the shudras were meat eaters and not the whole society.

i don't think so. I don't think there was any varna-jathi system in the south. Who were the vaishya varna in the south for example? And there is ample evidence that vedic brahmins did consume meat.

No varna-jathi system in the south?? Well, news to me.

I think agriculture was also well developed during those ages.

at around 2000 bc? agriculture was present alright, but to what capacity or extent? how abt the very early rig period from around the iron age period, say around 8000 bc? btw, rigved does not include rice (rice comes in the atharva period. The rig times were more of wheat, obviously of northwest origins, not sure growing wheat, barley was so easy in the rigved times).

You could be bang on target with the above statistics but as I said before, what I am not able to reconcile with is about love, compassion, devotion, mercy, ahimsa and all in our scriptures while the entire society was gorging on meat(???). So is the compassion only towards fellow human beings and not towards other living creatures? So what are we saying here now? The Vedic society was a meat eating society?? How come India still has the largest number of vegetarians as a % of population in the world in spite of a 1000 years of non-vegetarian rule. Something has to give in somewhere.

The appeasement of gods like Varuna through yagnas was basically to have good rains and bountiful crop.

if not for a bountiful crop what wud hv been the next alternative? (btw, varuna was an ashur diety or asura. he became prominent in the atharva period while the rig period was more about indra)

The Vedas are known as "anadhi" or beginningless. What we know about all these periods like rig (8000 b.c) was handed down to us by the Westerners. I don't understand about these rig and atharva periods (if you can enlighten me). Is this again some Western concept like the AIT?

Of course, the abundance of food through various techniques has been made possible to cater to the ever increasing population but relative to the size of the population in those times, I think food could have been in plenty.

well, we've heard of how the industrial revolution in europe caused increase in food supplies, how the agri-revolution in india increase in food supplies. Not sure if increasing food supplies wud have been that easy in the past.

Have you not seen the movie "Maya Bazaar" with S.V. Rangarao singing "Kalyana Samaiyal Saadam". That is one way to increase food supplies and in those periods with meditative powers people could do it, I guess.

Anand,

Sorry, HH, this logic of yours is sounds weird to me. Firstly, god does not "kill", he just has made laws which says all beginning has an end. This is true for all beings including even the demi-gods when everything merges into the Supreme Being when the universe is annihilated. Now, there is a huge difference between god playing god and man playing god. That's why you cannot say whether god kills or man kills. Also your phrasing that god kills goes totally against the Hindu concept of god being loving and kind. Death is brought about by karma and there are lot of stories of beings reaching immortality, examples being Vysya or Hanuman.

Exactly (or somewhere close). What i was conveying was also that killing is what "we see it as". The soul does not perish, only the body and therefore what we see as killing is not 'killing' as such. So god does not really "kill'.

Lets keep immortality aside in this discussion. Discussing immortality, samadhi and karma is a massive topic. Lets stick to veg, non-veg for us mortal beings.

Killing has nothing to do with the soul. Just because the soul is not killed do we leave criminals to go free? Which case there need not be any laws. Imagine a situation like this. I feel lazy to go buy vegetables or a chicken, so I kill my neighbor and eat him saying his soul is intact. I think we should stick to the physical realm of things because that is how we operate. Talking about soul is an area for higher beings.

Please see what i posted:

Did i say its ok to kill a neighbour? I specifically mentioned abt killing wrt reasoning (which btw is what the gita conveys as well).

?? and i thot killing humans is worse than killing animals.

Please show me one pharse from the Gita that says something to the effect of "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalth not kill an animal for food" or "thou shalt not kill an animal that attacks you to kill you".

Here you are equating man and the animal. Man has the ability to think while the animal cannot, at least not to the extent of man. So this is where we use our wisdom. If the malaria bearing mosquito kills us we also use chemicals to kill them. tit for tat. Generally, animals don't kill unless their territory is encroached upon and the encroaching is usually done by man. We have read about elephants venturing into villages and attacking man because the forest cover has been depleted by man. If one compares man to animals, we can find the present day man behaving worse than animals. Sorry to digress, but look at the man made problems like poverty, corruption, war, environmental pollution and so on and look at the animal kingdom. All the animals seem to say is allow to function in our habitat without killing us for food and poaching us for our skins. Honestly, I find animals killing man to be minuscule compared to man killing man or man killing animals. Please read the Vijayvani article I sent earlier in full to understand what the thinking man is capable of.

When a man is allowed to kill a man itself in the Gita where goes an animal (the context here is whether or not the act of killing is dharmic). Obviously, the act of killing itself does not accrue a sin if there is a reasoning attached to it, and that reasoning gets termed as dharma.

What you just quoted above is the Viswaroopa Darshan of Krishna as seen by Arjuna with Divine Sight. This is not the normal form of god as felt and seen by anyone. Even Arjuna had to be given divine eyes to see the Viswaroopa because it is a terrible sight which cannot be seen by mere mortals. Even Arjuna at the end begs Krishna to return to the form he always knew as loving and merciful. So Krishna rightly said that this form cannot be seen by studying the Vedas or charity or piety because you cannot bear the intensity of seeing it. It does not mean I can go around killing anyone because anyway I cannot see this form of the lord by being pious.

?? When did i say you can go around killing anyone because you cannot see Krishna's vishwaroopa by being pious?

Thirukkural was called the Fifth Veda especially by Tamils. A lot of it is directly inspired by the Vedas and the Acharya himself extensively quotes from the Kural.

But obviously it contradicts vedic sacrifices.

Moderation is a key to lot of things and so also abstinence for a lot of things as well.

includes moderation of veggie food as well. And if someone wants to go the way of sanyasam, wud also probably include gradual abstinence of veggie food as well, depending on the road/ path taken.

Last edited:
Anand,

Exclusions are always there just like certain classes were excluded from meat eating in our society. I think this discussion is taking place due to the large scale slaughter of animals within the meat processing industry by artificially making these animals fat (more bang for the buck) so we get more meat and the harmful impact of it. I don't think the vegetarians even in their vivid imagination are dreaming to convert possibly 80% of the world population who could be meat eaters.

please provide info from relevant scriptural documentation that certain classes were excluded from meat eating in the past (and i mean the vedic times).

i perfectly agree with you that animals raised in poultries are harmful to health since their flesh is increased with hormonal intrusion (by injections, feeding pellets, etc).

However this discussion i think is with respect to vegetarianism and spiritualism. And the bottom line is, those that consider non-veg as no barrier to spiritualism have a place under the sun as well.

why do you think so? please take a look at the food habits of the chinese populace. they eat non-veg, love diff kinds of food, but eat small portions. Far from gluttony or gorging on food.

For starters, please read "Religion and public culture: encounters and identities in modern South India" by Keith Yandell and John Paul from page 33 to 42, esp page 39.

To give you an account: In the colonial times, the british linked jaati and varna as the same (obviously they were not talking to the non-purvamimansaka monks). So each jaati had to start belonging to some varna. There were right hand and left hand castes.

Almost everyone who lived in the town centre was a right hand caste (including merchants who were clubbed together with barbers, potters, etc). Almost everyone who lived in the suburbs was a left hand caste (including manufacturers who were clubbed together with labourers, cleaners, etc).

Till date factories or manufacturing units are usually not within the town centre, and tend to be situated on the city's outskirts or away from the main population dwelling areas. But all that seems to have become fuzzy logic somewhere. The british classified komatis (traders) as right hand caste and balijas (manufacturers) as left hand caste.

After this whole idea that a jaati had to belong to some varna or the other came about, both the komatis and balijas wanted to belong to the vaishya varna. The claim of the komatis wanting to be vaishya varna was supported by vaidikis and trashed by niyogis.

When a komati family wanted to perform upanayanam on a bachelor son, the niyogis (thru the mahanads) polluted the fire and stopped the ceremony. Violence incidents were reported, in what seems to be a regular frequency. Things finally went to court. In 1833 the sadr adalat passed a ruling in favor of the niyogis' claim (that the komatis were not vaishyas). In 1845, the judicial committe of privy council made no formal decision and dismissed the komati plaintiff (mamedy venkiah) who filed the case for varna status. The other contestant, the balijas did not exert persistant claims, go to courts.

But it does seem that being persistant and vociferous with claims paid off in the colonial times. In the 1901 census the komatis finally managed to get enrolled themselves as the vaishya varna. They
were the only telugus that managed to do so. The current komati community persumes itself to have "always" been undergoing the upanayanam.

Caste based puranas were also written during the colonial period. Looks like a caste that wanted to make a varna claim had to produce some sorta literature proof (keralopathy also was written in the colonial times btw).

If one really wants me to beleive varna and jaathi are the same, then please have a look at this (a partial list i wud think): Full text of "Various Census of India" (found that list while trying to dig for info on ayarakapus, am told that community followed a brahmanical lifestyle but disappeared as recent as 150 years back, probably having merged into an other community; and the rest had no choice but to enter into marriages and merge into other sub-sects or communities. Been trying to find documentary evidence on ayyarakaapus since a few months now).

From that census list if anyone can convince me that all those jaati (occupation) groups exist today; or have always been existing the same way for centuries; then i will accept that a jaati can be assigned a varna. All i know is that occupations (jaatis) are not stable and people have always been reinventing themselves.

You could be bang on target with the above statistics but as I said before, what I am not able to reconcile with is about love, compassion, devotion, mercy, ahimsa and all in our scriptures while the entire society was gorging on meat(???). So is the compassion only towards fellow human beings and not towards other living creatures? So what are we saying here now? The Vedic society was a meat eating society?? How come India still has the largest number of vegetarians as a % of population in the world in spite of a 1000 years of non-vegetarian rule. Something has to give in somewhere.

Not sure why you keep using the word 'gorging'. Surely "gorging" on veggie food can also produce the lazy tamasa guna.
People can certainly eat (anything) in moderation.

Well, since there is documented evidence from verses in the rigved, one can say that meat eating existed in the vedic society. Its not a POV. Just suggesting 2 books here:
i) A communion of subjects - animals in religion, science and ethics
[SIZE=-1]by Waldau and Patton[/SIZE]; and ii) Vedic index of names and subjects [SIZE=-1]by Macdonell and Keith[/SIZE].

Perhaps this link is a simpler reference: Re: animal slaughter in the Vedas After reading it, i went thru rigved sukta 5. Its all about take it or leave it. Interpretation cud be either way. If yours is one way, one truth, the other one too has its place under the sky.

The Vedas are known as "anadhi" or beginningless. What we know about all these periods like rig (8000 b.c) was handed down to us by the Westerners. I don't understand about these rig and atharva periods (if you can enlighten me). Is this again some Western concept like the AIT?

The earth on which we live has an age. It has some sorta begining. As do the planets, the sun (our solar system). The current human race has some sorta "beginning". There are periods of recorded development (like paleolithic, mesolithic, neolithic for example). There is fossil history, there is human history. Languages originate and disapper. Languages seems to have a beginning and an end (like everything else on the material plane). Why blame the westerners for everything. Esp if they are abt things we do not like to see.

Have you not seen the movie "Maya Bazaar" with S.V. Rangarao singing "Kalyana Samaiyal Saadam". That is one way to increase food supplies and in those periods with meditative powers people could do it, I guess.

Sir, am aware of meditative powers from those who practice it (don't need to see movies for that). Not sure ppl with meditative powers cud produce food :)

Last edited:
Dear Sri singleliner,

Please do not charecterize other people's postings in a pejorative way. I am editing out those words, as they are hurtful. Also, please make inputs on specific points, instead of passing generic judgements on others postings. That would help the readers. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

I would agree, SapthaJiva has a very very valid point to prove, *****(Edtd), which is clear with Soul-Vs-Rebirth-Animal life.Lets wait for KRS to prove his point interms of Soul&Reincarnation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear HH

Originally Posted by anandb

Exactly (or somewhere close). What i was conveying was also that killing is what "we see it as". The soul does not perish, only the body and therefore what we see as killing is not 'killing' as such. So god does not really "kill'.

My question still remains. Since the soul is not destroyed, is it ok to kill the physical body. Since we live on a materialistic plane, are we not more concerned right now with the physical body than the soul? When we talk about compassion, are we not talking about the pain to the physical body than the soul?

Lets keep immortality aside in this discussion. Discussing immortality, samadhi and karma is a massive topic. Lets stick to veg, non-veg for us mortal beings.

Exactly my point as well. Since you talked about death, I touched on immortality to show that death could be beaten as well.

Please see what i posted:

I don't understand your point. Are you saying the act is adharmic only if the soul is destroyed irrespective of the fact that pain is caused to the physical body. Since the soul is never destroyed anything which causes pain to the physical body done without a reason can never be adharmic.
Now the question arises what and who determines if the reason is right or wrong. Is it the prevailing circumstances in the society. Let us suppose mankind's foolishness leads to the elimination of the animal kingdom and all the flora gets polluted that everything becomes unfit for consumption. Man has no other option but to kill another man and eat him. So in those circumstances, the reason to become cannibalistic will be right and not considered adharmic. The problem with this logic is the circumstances which lead man to become cannibalistic is easily forgotten and the prevailing circumstances lead one to believe that what we do is right. Same logic as the culling of 300k birds to avoid the bird flu virus and the slaughter of cattle to avoid the bovine virus. As the article points out, what caused these viruses originally is easily forgotten but the slaughter of these beings is justified to ensure the survival of the superior beings which is humans.

Did i say its ok to kill a neighbour? I specifically mentioned abt killing wrt reasoning (which btw is what the gita conveys as well).

Exactly, to me killing for food becomes killing without reasoning when alternative choices are available.

?? and i thot killing humans is worse than killing animals.

Again a evil human being is worse than a animal. An animal is programmed to kill for food while a human being is not. While we can keep citing instances that meat eating started with the early man and so on there has been progress on so many fronts. The early man answered nature's call in the open which we do not and wore the bark of trees and plants to cover which we don't.

Please show me one pharse from the Gita that says something to the effect of "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalth not kill an animal for food" or "thou shalt not kill an animal that attacks you to kill you".

Dear HH, I think you may not be reading my posts completely. The gist of all my posts is quite simple. Thou shall not kill animals for food when alternative food choices are available. I think this is in line with what our religion says based on the principles of ahimsa and non-violence which is spread throughout our scriptures and the teachings of gurus. At the same time, our religion also eulogizes people to defend their honor and kill the enemy where necessary.

When a man is allowed to kill a man itself in the Gita where goes an animal (the context here is whether or not the act of killing is dharmic). Obviously, the act of killing itself does not accrue a sin if there is a reasoning attached to it, and that reasoning gets termed as dharma.

The Gita asks man to do his duty meaning he has to fight adharma. So you kill a man who is evil or unjust, fine. Where is the question of killing a animal for food? I can understand if you kill the animal coming to kill you.

?? When did i say you can go around killing anyone because you cannot see Krishna's vishwaroopa by being pious?

I read your original post. I understand your position that killing is also pious if done with a reason. Now what I don't understand is why quote that Gita passage?

But obviously it contradicts vedic sacrifices.

Isn't that the beauty of our religion? Live and Let live. If Thiruvalluvar did not accept certain things of the Vedas, it is still fine. Even the Acharya did not have any problems with that.

includes moderation of veggie food as well. And if someone wants to go the way of sanyasam, wud also probably include gradual abstinence of veggie food as well, depending on the road/ path taken.

Do agree.

If killing of animals for food is permitted,then,re-birth in to animal kingdom will not make any sense, and the definition of SOUL gets lost and also lets not forget, Vedas are not for one's own convenience.

Anand,

My question still remains. Since the soul is not destroyed, is it ok to kill the physical body. Since we live on a materialistic plane, are we not more concerned right now with the physical body than the soul? When we talk about compassion, are we not talking about the pain to the physical body than the soul?

When a man dies from an heart attack or cancer does he not experience pain? In old age ppl suffer from disability of movement, illness, debility, does that all result in pain in some form of the other. Pain is present in cases of natural death as well. Is God not compassionate then?

Exactly my point as well. Since you talked about death, I touched on immortality to show that death could be beaten as well.

Death cannot always be beaten. Every man in meditative practice does not attain siddhis. There is an entire understanding to that subject which it seems takes a few lifetimes.

Lets stick to the topic viz,
i) is the act of killing dharmic or adharmic as per scriptural understanding; and
ii) is consumption of non-veg food a barrier to spirituality.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying the act is adharmic only if the soul is destroyed irrespective of the fact that pain is caused to the physical body. Since the soul is never destroyed anything which causes pain to the physical body done without a reason can never be adharmic.

Nope. I did not say killing is adharmic if soul is destroyed or any such thing.

Killing is considered adharmic if it is senseless and non-discriminative in nature. The justifiability in an act of killing comes under the purview of what is considered as dharma.

Gita conveys non-judgementalism, and doing one's duty without expecting or claiming fruits of action. This does not mean one can kill or do anything as one pleases without any conscience.

Now the question arises what and who determines if the reason is right or wrong. Is it the prevailing circumstances in the society. Let us suppose mankind's foolishness leads to the elimination of the animal kingdom and all the flora gets polluted that everything becomes unfit for consumption. Man has no other option but to kill another man and eat him. So in those circumstances, the reason to become cannibalistic will be right and not considered adharmic. The problem with this logic is the circumstances which lead man to become cannibalistic is easily forgotten and the prevailing circumstances lead one to believe that what we do is right. Same logic as the culling of 300k birds to avoid the bird flu virus and the slaughter of cattle to avoid the bovine virus. As the article points out, what caused these viruses originally is easily forgotten but the slaughter of these beings is justified to ensure the survival of the superior beings which is humans.

Its man's natural instinct to survive. When a tiger attacks a man, even the meekest of all men will try to do something to defend himself. Self-defence is natural.

Napolean's army battled against the Russian troops and while making their way back home in very harsh winter, they had no food. They are purported to have eaten the flesh of their dead mates. Did they like to do what they did? Given a choice will a man be a cannibal on his own? Is it not an extreme condition?

Surely there are scientific ways to address food shortage. If not, then well, there nature will take care of it if such a situation were to arise. If man is destained to perish just as the dinosaurs, he will.

If culling birds was the way for a man to protect himself from bird flu, yes his act is not wrong. If not, wud you have liked to be dead from swine flu?

"What caused these viruses" sir is an extensive topic. Man did not create them. They evolve in various changing surroundings on their own. Man sometimes inadverently gives them an opportunity to grow. But man does not grow them. He grows them in a lab only to find ways to fight against them.

Exactly, to me killing for food becomes killing without reasoning when alternative choices are available.

How does killing for food become killing without reasoning? Is not hunger the reason? What seems as an alternative choice for you may not mean the same to others. If a man is designed to consume a variety of food, he will. Alternatives are choices, and they vary with diff individuals.

Again a evil human being is worse than a animal. An animal is programmed to kill for food while a human being is not. While we can keep citing instances that meat eating started with the early man and so on there has been progress on so many fronts. The early man answered nature's call in the open which we do not and wore the bark of trees and plants to cover which we don't.

A man too kills because he is programmed to kill. Not sure why you are linking vegetarianism to being civilized. Is a vegetarian glutton civilized? Are the current ways of growing crop civilized? Are not pesticides killing life forms or some fertilizers ruining the soil? Are cililizational "aspects" truly defining us as civilized?

Dear HH, I think you may not be reading my posts completely. The gist of all my posts is quite simple. Thou shall not kill animals for food when alternative food choices are available. I think this is in line with what our religion says based on the principles of ahimsa and non-violence which is spread throughout our scriptures and the teachings of gurus. At the same time, our religion also eulogizes people to defend their honor and kill the enemy where necessary.

Just because you think alternative choices are available, it does not mean that the 'alternate' that suits your thinking might suit others.

The Gita asks man to do his duty meaning he has to fight adharma. So you kill a man who is evil or unjust, fine. Where is the question of killing a animal for food? I can understand if you kill the animal coming to kill you.

Because man is designed to sustain his survivability in diff circumstance, he is designed to consume both veg and non-veg food, tehrefore it is in his design to kill an animal for food.

The gita does not say a man cannot kill an animal for food. It has been interpreted that way; and there can be more than a few different interpretations.

I read your original post. I understand your position that killing is also pious if done with a reason. Now what I don't understand is why quote that Gita passage?

To show that the Gita does not define killing as unpious if done with a justifiable reason, and that we are but instruments in the play of kaala and karma.

Isn't that the beauty of our religion? Live and Let live. If Thiruvalluvar did not accept certain things of the Vedas, it is still fine. Even the Acharya did not have any problems with that.

:)

Last edited:
Dear HH

Originally Posted by anandb

please provide info from relevant scriptural documentation that certain classes were excluded from meat eating in the past (and i mean the vedic times).

Dear HH, I think our thoughts don't match here as you always maintain that brahmins were meat eaters while I maintain it was not based on the Acharya's comments. Here I mean eating meat as a sense gratification and not as a pea sized prasad during ritual ceremonies.

I don't read Sanskrit nor understand its meaning but came across this link which quotes passages from the Vedas prohibiting meat eating. May be you can go through in detail and tell me if they are relevant or not.

Vegetarianism and The Vedas

i perfectly agree with you that animals raised in poultries are harmful to health since their flesh is increased with hormonal intrusion (by injections, feeding pellets, etc).

However this discussion i think is with respect to vegetarianism and spiritualism. And the bottom line is, those that consider non-veg as no barrier to spiritualism have a place under the sun as well.

I never said that otherwise.

why do you think so? please take a look at the food habits of the chinese populace. they eat non-veg, love diff kinds of food, but eat small portions. Far from gluttony or gorging on food.

It is scientifically proved. Rising obesity levels everywhere. More processed foods finding its way into the food chain. The kind of chemicals and food processors that go into it actually induces craving for food and make you eat more. I cannot comment about China where official news is tightly controlled. It could be a fact that Chinese food forming a basis for all Far East Asian countries food could be healthy owing to their lean constitutions but the fast food culture now being promoted by the likes of Hardees, KFC and McDonalds is increasing obesity levels to dangerous proportions.

For starters, please read "Religion and public culture: encounters and identities in modern South India" by Keith Yandell and John Paul from page 33 to 42, esp page 39.

To give you an account: In the colonial times, the british linked jaati and varna as the same (obviously they were not talking to the non-purvamimansaka monks). So each jaati had to start belonging to some varna. There were right hand and left hand castes.

Almost everyone who lived in the town centre was a right hand caste (including merchants who were clubbed together with barbers, potters, etc). Almost everyone who lived in the suburbs was a left hand caste (including manufacturers who were clubbed together with labourers, cleaners, etc).

Till date factories or manufacturing units are usually not within the town centre, and tend to be situated on the city's outskirts or away from the main population dwelling areas. But all that seems to have become fuzzy logic somewhere. The british classified komatis (traders) as right hand caste and balijas (manufacturers) as left hand caste.

After this whole idea that a jaati had to belong to some varna or the other came about, both the komatis and balijas wanted to belong to the vaishya varna. The claim of the komatis wanting to be vaishya varna was supported by vaidikis and trashed by niyogis.

When a komati family wanted to perform upanayanam on a bachelor son, the niyogis (thru the mahanads) polluted the fire and stopped the ceremony. Violence incidents were reported, in what seems to be a regular frequency. Things finally went to court. In 1833 the sadr adalat passed a ruling in favor of the niyogis' claim (that the komatis were not vaishyas). In 1845, the judicial committe of privy council made no formal decision and dismissed the komati plaintiff (mamedy venkiah) who filed the case for varna status. The other contestant, the balijas did not exert persistant claims, go to courts.

But it does seem that being persistant and vociferous with claims paid off in the colonial times. In the 1901 census the komatis finally managed to get enrolled themselves as the vaishya varna. They were the only telugus that managed to do so. The current komati community persumes itself to have "always" been undergoing the upanayanam.

Caste based puranas were also written during the colonial period. Looks like a caste that wanted to make a varna claim had to produce some sorta literature proof (keralopathy also was written in the colonial times btw).

If one really wants me to beleive varna and jaathi are the same, then please have a look at this (a partial list i wud think): Full text of "Various Census of India" (found that list while trying to dig for info on ayarakapus, am told that community followed a brahmanical lifestyle but disappeared as recent as 150 years back, probably having merged into an other community; and the rest had no choice but to enter into marriages and merge into other sub-sects or communities. Been trying to find documentary evidence on ayyarakaapus since a few months now).

From that census list if anyone can convince me that all those jaati (occupation) groups exist today; or have always been existing the same way for centuries; then i will accept that a jaati can be assigned a varna. All i know is that occupations (jaatis) are not stable and people have always been reinventing themselves.

I will go more by what the Acharya says on this. His discourses talk in length about Varnas and Jaatis and unless it was prevalent in the South he would not talk about them. Agreed varnas and jaatis are different. Varnas took their authority from the scriptures while jaatis were kind of man-made. But even today no one can deny the prevalence of iyers, iyengars, raos, mudaliars, naicker, pillais, reddys, gounder, chettiars, padayachis, nayudus, goudas, lingayats. All of these are South based. India is still mostly rural and these jaatis are still prevalent in the rural areas.

Not sure why you keep using the word 'gorging'. Surely "gorging" on veggie food can also produce the lazy tamasa guna. People can certainly eat (anything) in moderation.

Agreed

Well, since there is documented evidence from verses in the rigved, one can say that meat eating existed in the vedic society. Its not a POV. Just suggesting 2 books here:
i) A communion of subjects - animals in religion, science and ethics by Waldau and Patton; and ii) Vedic index of names and subjects by Macdonell and Keith.

Perhaps this link is a simpler reference: Re: animal slaughter in the Vedas After reading it, i went thru rigved sukta 5. Its all about take it or leave it. Interpretation cud be either way. If yours is one way, one truth, the other one too has its place under the sky.

Sorry, again from a Western point of view. I have nothing against them. I know a whole lot of Western Indologists who have talked nice things about our religion. My only concern is the ones you have mentioned belong to the AIT school.

The earth on which we live has an age. It has some sorta begining. As do the planets, the sun (our solar system). The current human race has some sorta "beginning". There are periods of recorded development (like paleolithic, mesolithic, neolithic for example). There is fossil history, there is human history. Languages originate and disapper. Languages seems to have a beginning and an end (like everything else on the material plane). Why blame the westerners for everything. Esp if they are abt things we do not like to see.
I have nothing against the Westerners. I was briefly educated there and I work with a lot of Brit and European colleagues whom I admire a lot. I personally feel Indians have a lot to learn from them. My only problem is those with dubious credentials like the AIT theorists who try and malign our religion. When it comes to accepting a view point or a book written by a Westerner against something that is mentioned in the Vedas and authenticated by our Acharya, I will blindly go with the latter though the latter may not offer proof as required by Science. My logic is simple. The latter does not have a profit motive to say what he says. When it comes to a commercial motive we can see there are lot of Machiavellian things which take place behind the scene. Will Monsanto ever say GMO foods are bad while banning any kind of investigation in GMO crops. Everything these days require funding so when books are written, research papers are produced, movies are produced, there is a very strong possibility the final outcome can be tainted.

Sir, am aware of meditative powers from those who practice it (don't need to see movies for that). Not sure ppl with meditative powers cud produce food.

Why not?

I saw a post on this aspect in my mail box but I am not able to locate it in the site.Hence this thread.
Most of the grihya sutras say what should not be eaten and avoided.So by implication Vedic Brahmins were non vegetarians.
On the sane vein when speaking about pitru sraadha they say venision(deer's flesh) is loved by the Pitrus and satisfies so many generations
We must conclude that orginally brahmins were not strice vegetarians.
Even now in several parts of the country brahmins are non vegetarians but each sect excludes some and approves some.
We cannot generalise based on;y on what we Tamizh speaking Brahmins do
Hi,
Evaluating information logically based only on available data is wrong. Anybody who practices spirituality, over a period of time cannot take non vegetarian food. One has to experience this or hear from who have changed to vegetarian food from non vegetarian after taking such spiritual practices. Our body itself will reject these kind of food once our mind will tune to these practices.
Siva SN

Anand,

Dear HH, I think our thoughts don't match here as you always maintain that brahmins were meat eaters while I maintain it was not based on the Acharya's comments. Here I mean eating meat as a sense gratification and not as a pea sized prasad during ritual ceremonies.

i have no comments on the Acharya's comments.

Faith can sometimes cause us to not try to see from a diff perspective or not want to accept stuff as found by evidence.

Whether it be pea-sized or pin-size, there was consumption. And very sorry to say this, but from some passages i have read, animals were not sacrificed in small number, it is suggestive of indra and people being well fed.

I don't read Sanskrit nor understand its meaning but came across this link which quotes passages from the Vedas prohibiting meat eating. May be you can go through in detail and tell me if they are relevant or not.

Vegetarianism and The Vedas

Am sorry Anand, am not inclined to support or not support things in these matters. There are verses both ways, interpretations can be both ways (or more). And things can mean both ways (or more), not just one way alone.

Those who consider vegetarianism as important for spiritualism, have their place; and those who consider it as unimportant have their basis too.

It is scientifically proved. Rising obesity levels everywhere. More processed foods finding its way into the food chain. The kind of chemicals and food processors that go into it actually induces craving for food and make you eat more. I cannot comment about China where official news is tightly controlled. It could be a fact that Chinese food forming a basis for all Far East Asian countries food could be healthy owing to their lean constitutions but the fast food culture now being promoted by the likes of Hardees, KFC and McDonalds is increasing obesity levels to dangerous proportions.

So everyone who eats in McDonalds, KFC, etc are obese, "always hungry gorging on food"?

Yes processed meat is unhealthy, god knows how hormones pumped up animal flesh can interfere with our own system.

But not sure why you don't see that a veggie man can be a glutton and obese as well. Meat is not the only thing that people makes "gorge" on it. A man can eat meat in moderation too.

I will go more by what the Acharya says on this. His discourses talk in length about Varnas and Jaatis and unless it was prevalent in the South he would not talk about them. Agreed varnas and jaatis are different. Varnas took their authority from the scriptures while jaatis were kind of man-made. But even today no one can deny the prevalence of iyers, iyengars, raos, mudaliars, naicker, pillais, reddys, gounder, chettiars, padayachis, nayudus, goudas, lingayats. All of these are South based. India is still mostly rural and these jaatis are still prevalent in the rural areas.

Sir, you are stating names of jaathis that are prevalant now. How old are the terms ayyar and ayyangar? And was ayya as a term used for priests alone?

Moreover many surnames are just what people got appointed as. Some got appointed as karnams, later the family continued to do accountancy, and they got to be identified as kulkarni (a kula of karani or karanams). Does it identify a varna?

Same goes for mudalis, pillais, naiks, they are just titles of people who got appointed as mudalis, pillais or naiks. Lingayats are a recent creed, started by Basvanna. Are they a varna?

Not sure why you mention jaathi caste occupation names when you say varna and jaathi are different.

Sorry, again from a Western point of view. I have nothing against them. I know a whole lot of Western Indologists who have talked nice things about our religion. My only concern is the ones you have mentioned belong to the AIT school.

Which ones belong to the AIT school? Keith Yandell and John Paul ? Waldau and Patton ? or the ones that wrote "vedic index of names and subjects", Macdonell and Keith? Why not read the rig ved yourself? Surely you can check out the portions mentioned in this atleast: Re: animal slaughter in the Vedas

I have nothing against the Westerners. I was briefly educated there and I work with a lot of Brit and European colleagues whom I admire a lot. I personally feel Indians have a lot to learn from them. My only problem is those with dubious credentials like the AIT theorists who try and malign our religion. When it comes to accepting a view point or a book written by a Westerner against something that is mentioned in the Vedas and authenticated by our Acharya, I will blindly go with the latter though the latter may not offer proof as required by Science. My logic is simple. The latter does not have a profit motive to say what he says. When it comes to a commercial motive we can see there are lot of Machiavellian things which take place behind the scene. Will Monsanto ever say GMO foods are bad while banning any kind of investigation in GMO crops. Everything these days require funding so when books are written, research papers are produced, movies are produced, there is a very strong possibility the final outcome can be tainted.

Am really not sure how accpeting the vedas as beginningless has something to go with GMO, westerns, AIT ? All i said was that the earth, sun, solar system has an age. And languages (like castes btw) originate and disapper, so why blame westerners for everything..

Why not?

because everyone with meditative practice cannot attain siddhis, cannot increase food supplies. Anjeneyar cud increase and decrease his size but cud not materialize the sanjeevani herb in his hand, he had to go there and bring a bring a mountain.

Not everyone with siddhis can materialize food in their hand or anywhere. Siddhis too are limited and work within the purview of karma. Its a massive topic, and am not sure why you have this idea that crop supplies cud have been increased thru meditative practice. Its amusing actually. If it had worked, why did man ever have to learn newer better methods to farm. People had to farm back then just as they do now.

Last edited:
There can be endless arguments, justifications on this topic. Let us forget the past. Those who have been vegetarians so far, let them continue.

Those who want to switch over to vegetarianism, let them do so.

Those who cannot give up non-vegetarian food, please try to reduce it atleast. This appeal I am making purely from environmental angle and not from religious angle.

Dear Singleliner Ji,

One disadvantage of oneliners is, unless you are a Thiruvalluvar or Ouvvaiar, it is very dificult to transmit ideas, without coming across as passing judgements on others without much contribution to the Forum.

Please try to post with thoughts on the topic from your side. If you do not and repeat what you have done here, you stand the risk of your posts to be deleted. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

Happy Hindu sir, somehow, your points dont seems to be appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
HappyHindu sir, I have not said that to hurt you, but only wish, you could have explained it coherently with consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back