• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Astrology predictions - how accurate are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During Swayamvaram function, every body was keenly interested in knowing the predictions.

We have not seen anybody telling us that they are not interested about astrology match.

Even in the matrimony sites of our community, more than 90% of the people declare that horoscope match is a must.

May be on day to day basis, people may not go to the astrologers but when it comes to marriage, it is very much insisted upon.

All the best

Dear Sri pannvalan Ji,

In my case, I took up studying astrology as a yongster almost 50 years ago, on some personal urge, that I do not understand still today. As I have posted above my own experience with it makes me a believer.

It should not obviously be confused with Astronomy. However, the underlying planetary positions are calculated using astronomical data (panchangam).

The one astrologer/author I have learnt most from is Professor B.V. Raman (who by the way was a member of the Royal Astronomical Society) who tried to promote Astrology as science. In my own opinion, it would take a few more people like him to fashion a uniform code of practice of astrology to make it a science (as it is done in medicine). Here is a Wiki information about him:
Bangalore Venkata Raman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By the way, please read his book 'My experiences with Astrology'. This will perhaps change your mind on the subject.

Most of the folks who talk ill of this discipline do so with ignorance about the subject. And there is an abundance of charlatans who populate the practicing of this subject, who only bring ill repiute to the field as there are no uniform standards. I also think that the public fuels this - by being ready to trust anyone who says he/she is an astrologer.

In my own case, I do not give consultations except for a handful of friends and family and that too on limited areas. Mostly I study different horoscopes, keep notes to myself for my own curiosity. To me it is a divine subject, not to be trifled with.

Please do post your arguments against the subject. I will try to clarify any mis information that I may come across. I am sure others like Sri Swmainatha Sharma Ji can also contribute.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
No....

Let me here be a mere spectator....coz, to my subject, all are against...coz of lack of knowledge on the subject....

Sorry... let me be a spectator here.....

Please all of you go ahead.....

Sri Sharmaji, you should not withdraw like that. In fact many of us want you to come with strong points in favour of astrology, of which you are more knowledgeable than some of us.And it is your subject.

Actually , to be frank,I believe in astrology. But my belief is just like that , I like coffee or some other tasty drink, as it suits me. I cannot establish that astrology is always right in prediction nor I have any document to prove its efficacy.Just my own belief and hearsay. My own horoscope was got cast by my maternal grandfather,in whose house I was born. In the noting for time of birth, he had written as 'radio-time so and so'. Thalkuri" (Horoscope kattam")was generated,and kept like that. My father later got it systematically written by a Panicker with predictions for various dasas, etc for full life in general . When was hunting job the same Panicker predicted something about my job -which came 100% right and induced me to the subject.

The on death of my father , an elderly relative remarked something guessing about my horoscope- which was correct.

As my interest was kindled, I sent my horoscope to a panchangam company asking them to filter and correct the same if anything is wrong, and cast predictions. They gave it on a book, and as a last addendumin last page of the book, separately written was a note about ' would have happenings' in general at a particular period ,which was so in reality.
My Maamanaar was also knowing astrology and enhanced my interest and belief in it.
Afterwards I had some interaction with some people who know astrology.During my childhood I had occasions to hear my father and uncle discuss on the subject.This knowledge helped me to attend them and be present near them when they breathed last.
But still, having undergone education in science subject, and developed a reasonable temper in that direction,prompted my post to seek somebody to establish facts of astrology.

I think I have made myself clear on this regard.

Dear Sri Swaminathasharma Ji,
I am again surprised by your stance on this. Not 'all' are against...". As you can very well see a few of us here believe in the subject.

But you have a Masters degree in the subject and are pursuing a Ph.D. Why don't you explain the discipline and any rigor applied to the discipline at the University? Sri Nara Ji asked about experiments in controlled fashion. I could not answer him, as I do not know. Do they exist?

You can add valuable information on these and other questions to elevate the discipline in this Forum. Yet, you seem to take these personally, and not partake in discussions that would help our members. You seem to have the knowledge. I again, do not understand your stance.

Regards,
KRS

No....

I keep watching all your posts...
Coz i am on research part......
I should not comment in between your posts....
you all learned members go through want you want to share your ideas.. here....
I shall never poke my nose here......Nor should I.....

Let me here be a mere spectator....coz, to my subject, all are against...coz of lack of knowledge on the subject....

Sorry... let me be a spectator here.....

Please all of you go ahead.....

this is more directed particularly at KRS & swami.

the public, if they have heard of similar instances, please chip in.

our family panicker, told my dad's uncle, during one of the prashanam sessions, that the uncle will lose one of his children.

the uncle was skeptical as all his 11 children were young and healthy. sure enough, within two years, one of his daughters suddenly caught ill and died.

my query, if you don't mind KRS & swami is this: during your prashnam session, if you discover that the said prashnee has the shadow of death in the near future, how would you react, and then how would you (if at all) address this to your client?

i am more interested from the viewpoint, that astrologers such as yourself, do have a perception of bad tidings as well. while without a doubt, good news is a pleasure to impart, considering the constraints and fears of our society, how is bad news transmitted (if at all).

thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

When I was sixteen after about four years of studying astrology on my own, I thought I could predict accurately. I analysed my family and friends' horoscopes and predicted without any hesitation. Such was the foolishness of my youth.

When I analysed my closest friend's horoscope, I predicted alpayu and told him this and said that he should be careful, as though that would change the fate! Little did I know then that my prediction would come true, that too within a couple of years of my prediction. He died in an accident. After that I gave up any predictions on death. I follow this even today.

Predicting death is not an easy task. It requires very careful analysis. If one misses small influences, they have the strength to alter the analysis. Most astrologers I know, who are genuine will not utter the word 'death', they would rather say 'kandam'. And parihaarams are then prescribed to overcome them.

Regards,
KRS

thanks KRS.

if you don't mind, one more deeper query: how do you feel, when at the start of each prashnam, you know that you might find something like this to your dear friends or family. how can you handle it? what makes you continue to do so inspite?

i would have thought that it is easier to practise jothidam on strangers? yet you are doing the opposite?

or jothidam is such, that right from the start, you can avoid certain 'chapters' so that longevity related areas are not even given a cursory overview? this due to my ignorance of this field, sorry!

thanks

Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

When I was sixteen after about four years of studying astrology on my own, I thought I could predict accurately. I analysed my family and friends' horoscopes and predicted without any hesitation. Such was the foolishness of my youth.

When I analysed my closest friend's horoscope, I predicted alpayu and told him this and said that he should be careful, as though that would change the fate! Little did I know then that my prediction would come true, that too within a couple of years of my prediction. He died in an accident. After that I gave up any predictions on death. I follow this even today.

Predicting death is not an easy task. It requires very careful analysis. If one misses small influences, they have the strength to alter the analysis. Most astrologers I know, who are genuine will not utter the word 'death', they would rather say 'kandam'. And parihaarams are then prescribed to overcome them.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

This is why I am still an amateur in the field. I do not analyze a horoscope for length of life. My friends and family know this and they will ask questions about only certain topics. In astrology, yes, you can confine yourself in analyzing certain topics. Yet, sometimes one does observe certain aspects concerning the length of life. In those cases I have learnt not to say anything explicit, rather make some general comments.

By rule, I do not make any predictions on anyone within my own nuclear family. For extended family, I do answer their questions if they persist. My cousin, the other day reminded me about my prediction coming true about her son's wedding at the exact age I did predict. I recently predicted the gender of the baby of a friend's friend who is pregnant and it was proved to be so a couple of weeks back with an ultrasound. When a close friend asked about the effect of her husband's 7 and a 1/2 years of Saturn transit with concern about his life, I was able to predict certain good things which reduced her concerns. I am saying all these to give you a sample of what I predict about. I take this as the almighty working through me to be of some help to those who are close to me.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
....the uncle was skeptical as all his 11 children were young and healthy. sure enough, within two years, one of his daughters suddenly caught ill and died.

Hello Kunjuppu, please forgive me if I am crossing any limits, but I wonder how accurate Panikkar would be these days predicting life spans with much smaller family sizes and much better medical care.

The key is to recognize the ability of human brains for pattern matching. A match is an event that we tend to register, and a non-match is nothing. Since we are wired to remember matches astrological predictions that come true, even if they are no more often than just random chance, are remembered, and the ones that do not come true, which may be much more often, don't even register. This is the structural advantage astrology has on our psyche.

Cheers!

hi kunjuppu ji,
i have many astrological books....mainly written by the famous
astrologer bangalore B V RAMAN. based on predictions....his
famous astrological publications available through INDIA
ASTROLOGICAL MAGAZINE ....really the prdications of death
is very difficult....now im studying about medical astrology...
the diseases are based on horoscopes...im still ameatuure
in astrology....still a learning student....my 2 cents

regards
tbs

hi kunjuppu ji,
i have many astrological books....mainly written by the famous
astrologer bangalore B V RAMAN. based on predictions....his
famous astrological publications available through INDIA
ASTROLOGICAL MAGAZINE ....really the prdications of death
is very difficult....now im studying about medical astrology...
the diseases are based on horoscopes...im still ameatuure
in astrology....still a learning student....my 2 cents

regards
tbs

tbs,

the world over, astrology is a fascinating magnet for people.

i know of many of my wife's friends, who regularly go to the local astrologers. not sure what qualifications the western astrologers have, but sure enough it is very lucrative ($100 a visit 30 minutes).

in fact, in this forum, i am only surprised, that so far no other astrologer has put his mugshot and advertised his wares. some competition, i think, will be a shot in the arm for not only the customers, but would give us audiences, another view of the same subject.

myself, i tried to even read up cheiro's book on palmistry. even that, i could not figure out as it involves remembering rote, the various permutations and combinations of so many lines, and deriving conclusions.

i do not consult astrology, partly out of fear, and mostly out of a desire to let life unravel itself with all its glory and suspense. also, perhaps a fatalistic acceptance of life cycle. it is due to this, i am reluctant to venture into பிராயச்சித்தம் as an antidote to bad things happening in life.

can life be so simple? what about the poor who cannot afford the cost of those yagnas or trips or whatever? that means, the whole process becomes biased towards the rich, and that to me raises even more questions.

this is where i stop thinking. accept the mysteries of the faith, and murmur a short chant and move on with life.

thank you tbs. not sure which part of the u.s. you are, but hopefully enjoying the coming holiday merriment around you and also the change to cold weather :)

Hello Kunjuppu, please forgive me if I am crossing any limits, but I wonder how accurate Panikkar would be these days predicting life spans with much smaller family sizes and much better medical care.

The key is to recognize the ability of human brains for pattern matching. A match is an event that we tend to register, and a non-match is nothing. Since we are wired to remember matches astrological predictions that come true, even if they are no more often than just random chance, are remembered, and the ones that do not come true, which may be much more often, don't even register. This is the structural advantage astrology has on our psyche.

Cheers!

nara,

pray sir, you never cross limits, as far as i am concerned :)

this same panikkar, on examining my mom's horoscope, predicted that my sibling would be another male. except, it turned out be a female.

please read my note to tbs just below this note. i am personally fascinated by it. i am willing to watch the tamasha of others going through this process. but not for me.

at the same time, i am somewhat scared of it, to bestow certain respect, because in many a times, it comes so close to truth like the example of the diamonds.

our panikkar, apparently had a strong track record. but as an individual, he was prickly, ill tempered and a giant sized ego. he was not wealthy as many of his clients were pattars notorious for their tight fist. but sure enough, he could make them cower with his predictions :)

Sri Swaminatha Sharmaji,

Personally I think that you may not take part in debates with regards to astrology. There are people who seek and believe your predictions. But if you get in a debate, and lost that debate, those persons would be heart broken. So, I humbly request you not to enter in any debates, please. Thank you.

this is more directed particularly at KRS & swami.

i am more interested from the viewpoint, that astrologers such as yourself, do have a perception of bad tidings as well. while without a doubt, good news is a pleasure to impart, considering the constraints and fears of our society, how is bad news transmitted (if at all).

thank you for your consideration.

Though answer was expected from Sri KRS& Sri Swami, a brief step in by me.
My uncle was ill and laid up, the doctor proclaimed that "prognosis is not good- better to allow him a peaceful death ,no special medicines.Only something to comfort him.better to inimate close relatives"

His friend Panicker told us, you are all grown up .You will understand,he had his full life.one day everyone has to go.so only pray.. intimate relatives.his nakshatra is coming in a few days.he may not survive after that. I know his horoscope''.

I wrote this just to show the difference and similarities with Doctor and Astrologer.
If the news has to be broken, it has to be.

How best depends on one's experience and ingenuity.

How best depends on one's experience and ingenuity.

thank you sury.

it is a skillset to impart bad news, i think. not all doctors have it. my own friend, does this so abruptly and bluntly.

doctors in the west, are also supposed to be blunt, but very clinical and supposed to spend the time with the patient/relatives, giving detailed explanations if asked.

in my family panicker case, there were lot of disagreement as to whether panicker should have mentioned the forthcoming demise of one of my uncle's children.

Why i kep away is the reason above....
Not as you have quoted Professor NARA ji....

That reason, given originally by Raghy, is:
Personally I think that you may not take part in debates with regards to astrology. There are people who seek and believe your predictions. But if you get in a debate, and lost that debate, those persons would be heart broken. So, I humbly request you not to enter in any debates, please. Thank you.
The flip side of this reason is, if you did not lose, but win the debate, think of how many more clients will be convinced of your astrological abilities and seek your help.

Why look at the negative side, look at what can be achieved by trying. Raghy cited Lord Sri Krishna and advocated action instead of retreat.

Now that you have been challenged and you seem reluctant to engage, the very people who seek and believe your predictions may turn away from you because they may mistake your reluctance, as lack of your own confidence in your ability to defend your art.

Cheers!

நீங்கள் சொல்வது போல் நான் ஓடி ஒலியவில்லை
மற்றபடி வீனாக யதற்கு என்று தான் விவாதங்லீல் பங்கு பெறவில்லை
Translation: I am running away and hiding like you say. Why unnecessarily engage in debates is the reason why I am not participating.
Dear Sir, if you refuse to debate legitimate questions, in a forum where you have lot more supporters and sympathizers than I do, there is no escaping the only logical conclusion that you are indeed running away from the field.

Given that you are offering these services in every page of this site, it is, IMHO, your solemn duty to clarify. If there is one thing we all must take from the teachings of Lord Sri Krishna it is to not run away from fulfilling our duties.

என்னை பொருதவரை யாருக்கும் தொந்தரவு கொடுக்க கூடாது என்ற என்னதில் நான் இங்கு வரவில்லை.
Translation: As far as I am concerned I did not come here with the idea of not giving trouble to anyone.
I am glad you are not worried about troubling others -- so this is not a reason for not answering

விவாதங்களில் தான் ஒரு முடிவு பிறக்கும் என்பது எனக்கும் தெரியும்
சிரமதிற்க்கு மன்னிக்கவும்
Translation: I know very well that only through debate there will be a resolution, sorry for the trouble.
It is no trouble for me. Given you concede a conclusion can be arrived at only through debate, why are you reluctant?

மற்றபடி இந்த விவகாரங்களுக்கு எம்மால் மதில் எழுதமுடியாது என்பது கிைடயாது, இருப்பினும் இந்த விவாதம் ெபாது விவாதத்தில் உள்ளதால் இவற்றில் பங்ேகற்றவில்லை
Translation: Besides, not that I cannot answer these queries. Yet, since this is a public forum I am not participating.
I am glad you are confident about giving proper responses. But what is the reluctance about discussing in public? You do have a great numerical advantage in terms of supporters.

thanks..

swami,

i have been a well wisher for you in this forum since start.

you might remember, when you had tiffs with the moderators and quit. it was venkat and myself, through private messages, urged you to stay.

i had specifically asked you a question two days ago. you could have atleast replied to that. i took care about you, and sent you a private message cautioning the toll that takes one's health, providing free services out of goodness of heart.

you have not provided one acknowledgement. i find it hurtful, that you take it for granted about people who wish you well.

i think, in this forum, we do have a sense of courtesy to reply to posts addressed to us. you can simply say that you do not wish to be addressed. but atleast give us the benefit of a post.

i am very sad that you consider me so low, that you do not deem that i deserve an answer to so many posts directed at you, and all of it in the context of care or honest query.

it is a courtesy, i do not expect from the abnormals, but not coming from you, leaves a wound.

sir, i wish you well, inspite. i wish your endeavours to find solutions to our community well.

thank you.

LOT and LOT of works,

....., i find no time to go through all the forums, and to reply all the questions here.....But if i find really time.. i shall reply to most querries on astro.....

I will wait for your responses. In the meantime, my best wishes to you and your family....

The debate was interesting until Mr. Sharma withdrew and made it a damp squib. Well I would place before the members my understanding of astrology. I havae come across a few (only a few) astrologers who have been able to correctly tell my past. Again there were very few who could predict the future. The future which was predicted by these has become my past now and I would say they were very correct. So the conclusion number 1 is that astrology can not be dismissed as just lot of nonsense. But then when I looked at many other predictions in the case of my family members by many other astrologers i found them all to be wide off the mark when it came to predictions though they were correct about the past. There were other astrologers whose interpretation was just nonsense. I think we can leave these lost category because obviously they have not learnt astrology properly. Now this throws light on one aspect which has been a mystery. That is why are some astrologers failing when it comes to prediction of future. The given condition for this experiment which I took up is that the horoscopes have been correctly drawn up by noting the time of birth correctly. When i studied some old available literature on this subject, i found the reason. It is that some astrologers, either by training or by their innate disposition, are able to travel in the time dimension back and forth. and that answers the question how they r able to predict the future and reveal the past also. May be some are able to move only back and not forward. But it is clear that majority of the astrologers have a wrong understanding of astrology that it is just calculations and study of planetary positions. It is not just that. In my conclusion I have taken the help of some astrologers in Kerala whom i engaged in a very useful discussion. I am now in the process of gathering further empirically presentable proof for my understanding of the astrology. I hope I will be able to complete it. If some of you would like to take this itself as some kind of cock and bull story be happy with your convictions. But I will just narrate what my professor said once."There was an international seminar of scientists about what is consciousness and what is intelligence. One senior scientist came to the podium and started with the remark that Human beings being the most intelligent living organism on earth........ and every one took it as the obvious truth and were waiting to hear what was coming next. One student from the audience said to his friend sitting next Yeah, but we have not asked the amaeba for its views."

a kolaru padipagam

I will wait for your responses. In the meantime, my best wishes to you and your family....

The Holy Saint from Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham and many several Saints,Sages,Avatarams have alluded to kolaru padipagam,by Thiru Gnana Sambandar.I have uploaded the pdf file,for esteemed forum members.Page 17 is the verse which was quoted by the saint.

nachi naga.

Attachments

• thEvAram_Meaning_02.pdf
    186 KB · Views: 275
I have uploaded the pdf file,for esteemed forum members.Page 17 is the verse which was quoted by the saint.

Dear Sir, I wish you just reproduced this one pasuram instead of making us download 27 pages.

Anyway, what does this pasuram prove anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back