• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we hypocrites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is more of a tragedy than a comedy.

Mahakavi Bharathiar says in வசன கவிதை

"வடிவத்தை காப்பது நன்று சக்தியின் பொருட்டாக.
சக்தியை போற்றுதல் நன்று.வடிவத்தை காக்குமாறு.
ஆனால் வடிவத்தை மாத்திரம் போற்றுவோர் சக்தியை இழந்து விடுவர் "

Somewhere in the pages of history, during turbulent times, our ancestors seem to have taken to preserve the form
without giving much importance to the meanings .
Now that we have a relative period of calm and prosperity , what are we supposed to do ?
Should we strive to rediscover the meanings of our traditions or cut them all out as dead matter ?
If we cut them all out , why do we need to call ourselves Brahmins ?
If we continue to follow the forms without trying to understand the meanings ,we are hypocrites !
and we will not have the conviction to ask our next generation to follow our traditions.

Regards

I
Should we strive to rediscover the meanings of our traditions or cut them all out as dead matter ?
If we cut them all out , why do we need to call ourselves Brahmins ?
If we continue to follow the forms without trying to understand the meanings ,we are hypocrites !
and we will not have the conviction to ask our next generation to follow our traditions.
Regards

thachi,

i do not understand the quoted statements above. can you please explain your definition of 'brahmin' - is it religious? societywise? else?

what are your expectations based on your answer to the above?

what would it take NOT to be a hypocrite under such expectations?

and what traditions do you expect to ask the next generation?

hope you don't mind explaining your statements.

thank you.

kunjuppu ji
Please read my post in the context of Vikramaji's post about upanayanam/ I was just echoing his views.

I am sorry .You will have to wait for a more detailed response from me till the weekend.
Regards
Thachi mammu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back