• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are we hypocrites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vikrama,

When I go to a Buhari Hotel or a Tasmac shop, the society identifies me by my caste, which is not the case with the people of other castes. The usual comment is, “See the over-drunk Iyer lying flat by the gutter.” It is never, “See the over-drunk Chettiar or Nadar”.

:) i have heard of comments like 'paaru andha kudikaran chettiar kalamkathale kudichiruka' and a handful more.

This is just a social introspection (and certainly not intended to hurt or besmirch anybody) on why we are alienated, marginalized and mocked at continuously. What are our defects? Should we rectify them or shall we allow things to drift and settle for themselves? Our non-responsiveness to the fun made on us in the films indicates we have chosen the second option. Do we cover it up with “God will take care”?

In the bygone ages, Bs were not known for their opulence but for their wisdom and selfless service. In all the mythological stories God is portrayed as appearing in the form of a B and never as a king or Vysya or Sudra. Now that we are relatively better off than others in terms of money, have we not lost the great respect that once we enjoyed?

the whole point is the general (tamil) populace does not seem willing to be called categorized as kshatriya, vaisya, shudra, dalit anymore...and from what am beginning to understand is that the ridicule will stop once the categorization also stops...minus politics, its some sorta new age thinking or what i cannot place..and yep have heard of shiva appearing as a kirata, and as a dom with 4 dogs to adi shankara, and so on...

Dear Sri Vikrama ji,

In a nutshell, you feel that the other castes want us very much. At the same time, they want us to depend on them. If some other community guy does a mischief it is not noticed, whereas our guy is not expected to do that.

In my experience, most of the business people in Tamilnadu including those belonging to Dravidian parties, recruit our people for key posts. Probably when it comes integrity, honesty, sincerity and truthfulness, they believe us more than their own community people. They show professionalism when running their enterprise. They pay us well and treat us also honourably.

But if we aspire to rule the State or Country the problem crops up. By tradition we are not ruling class. We are advisory class and we should stick to that.

They envy us for our education. But education is our only asset. Generally our community people don't amaze material wealth.

We should also understand the situation as well as undercurrents which are running. We must learn to play our role effectively & efficiently. We should draw a lakshman rekha ourselves and should not cross it.

Intercaste marriages prevailed even during Azhwar/Nayanmar period. Sundaramoorthi Nayanar (Saiva Andhanar) married Paravai Nachiar at Tiruvarur and Sangili Nachiar at Tiruvotriur. Both the ladies were not from our community and both the marriages were blessed by Lord Shiva. We should learn from history and adjust our life style according to the present circumstances. Intercaste marriages have become the order of the day.

Last edited:
An excellent and thought provoking post.

But, unfortunately, it is anachronistic.

You say, we as Brahmins are still having 'the burden of leading the greater society still rests on us, in spite of the virulent attack on us by the DK for more than seven decades".

Sir, no one in the Tamil society looks at us any more to lead the 'society' in such a fashion. Our moral imperative to do so was long gone the moment out forefathers chose to opt for good paying jobs under the colonial masters. We are looked upon with respect to our past role only when we slip.

We are in a 'trisanghu' swargam of being the absolute brahmins and the current status of brahmins with secular jobs.

We are no more 'brahmins' of the classical definition. We are a Jathi, who like any other jathi is wandering and wondering who are we?

The carpet has been pulled out under our feet long time ago. Looks like, you have not noticed.

All this confusion about our role comes in because we refuse to accept who we are today. We always think that we are what we should be as etched out in our own minds.

Regards,
KRS

vikrama,

between krs and venkat, they have covered most of my response to you.

let me fill in the gaps, and add my two bit worth.

first of all, no problem reading normal tamil here. i find english easier. i like your tamil postings, and please feel free to address me in either language. i will stick to english for my replies, if you don't mind.

i wish to reiterate krs assertion about supposed leadership of society resting on our shoulders. to me, this also smacks of arrogance.

leadership has to be earned, and it is earned by individuals and not by communities. any TB who has this attitude is putting himself at a disadvantage in all aspects.

it is best that we consider ourselves as another group, without any superiority of many's varnas. this is another toxic cloak, which we need to shed, if we still wear it.

in the olden days, in tales of yore, the brahmin was always poor.
but religious. he did not challenge the ruling classes. his was a religious life.

today, most of us have an overwhelming secular life. our work, career, home furnishing, children's education all take up most of our time and effort.

religious rituals, are a small part of our daily routine, if at all.

i think, perhaps, we have a residual guilt at this transformation, and try to blame the community at large, or folks like DK for our angst.

the DK family who wanted a brahmin priest, i think, were going back to their traditions. i have a similar family friend here, who married per suyamariadhai. his daughter wanted a hindu wedding.

i think it reflects their conversion. and not any sudden found love for the brahmins.

re our portrayals in movies, i frankly don't care. these caricatures are of the past. how many kudumis or madisaars you see these days? i would let it go.

i think many of these insecurities also coming from poor physique. one cannot discount the self confidence a strong body radiates. furthermore it is a deterrence to any bully.

focus on body building to the same level as mind building, i tell all the TBs i know. mostly it falls on deaf ears.

personally, i also deeply wish that our entrepreneurial spirit to grow. but grow with sufficient knowledge of running small businesses. i think we lack that skillset.

overall, my report card for our community.

- no we are no more hypocrites than any other person
- we have some baggage because of our political success and ensuing leadership in the freedom movement
- as a result of an overwhelming presence in the tamil nadu government between 1930 - 60s, we might have remnants of a sense of entitlement deprived
- the new generation of i.t. focussed youth have turned the tables re the value of money or the superiority of the male gender
-with our new found prosperity, i think, we need to give more to those of our less fortunate brethren

i would like to repeat krs (with his permission).. All this confusion about our role comes in because we refuse to accept who we are today. We always think that we are what we should be as etched out in our own minds.

thank you.

R.Venkataramani
Sandhyavandhanam is the daily routine which we are suppose to do. Nama Japa is the easy route to obtain inner peace

For obtaining inner peace, you can choose any method you like. I am talking of ensuring respect for the community.

Krs
Sir, no one in the Tamil society looks at us any more to lead the 'society' in such a fashion. Our moral imperative to do so was long gone the moment out forefathers chose to opt for good paying jobs under the colonial masters. We are looked upon with respect to our past role only when we slip.

The carpet has been pulled out under our feet long time ago. Looks like, you have not noticed. All this confusion about our role comes in because we refuse to accept who we are today. We always think that we are what we should be as etched out in our own minds.

My perception is based on my experience obtained through interaction with my friends, both theists and atheists and the general public.

kunjuppu
leadership has to be earned, and it is earned by individuals and not by communities. any TB who has this attitude is putting himself at a disadvantage in all aspects.

By leadership, I do not mean exercising authority. But we can and do certainly influence by example.

it is best that we consider ourselves as another group, without any superiority of many's varnas. this is another toxic cloak, which we need to shed, if we still wear it.

I do not claim any superiority but we must carry on the role assigned to us by history and tradition. That is what I understand from the speeches of Paramacharya. It is the Pouranikas and vadhyars who keep harping on Brahmin Superiority. Note our mahasankalpa, अनेकधा जनित्वा केनापि पुण्यवशेऩ द्विजजन्मविशेषम् प्राप्तवतः .......

re our portrayals in movies, i frankly don't care. these caricatures are of the past. how many kudumis or madisaars you see these days? i would let it go.

Even though kudumi and and madisars have become extinct, they are used as symbols to indicate our community, just as the cartoonist uses certain symbols to score his point.

i think many of these insecurities also coming from poor physique. one cannot discount the self confidence a strong body radiates. furthermore it is a deterrence to any bully.

Yes. I agree. Poor physique is one of the reasons for our being mocked at.

I want to add one more point. We are attacked only as a community and never individually. (Leave out some stray incidents as those happened in Srirangam long time back.) Individual Brahmins are highly regarded and sought after. There is good rapport between Bs and Dks at personal level. Our personal traits are considered worthy of emulation.

Our detractors know well that individual B is too explosive to be made fun of. But when two or more of us join together we become weak. I can not understand this anomaly.

I don't know about India and other countries but I live in Dubai where I can say the kudumi, kachai and madisar are defenitely making a comeback albeit in a small way. There is an ever growing community of brahmins here who are constantly engaged in poojas and homams and one can see the man and the lady of the house in kachai and madisar. The rest of the males who attend to Vedic chanting also wear kachai. In fact in some of the poojas conducted regularly by certain people the kachai for males is compulsory that if you don't wear it you feel out of place. I have also noticed among these office going vedham odhum brahmanas, a style of haircut which sports a sort of ponytail.

Actually, we live in a age where the ponytail has actually become popular and minimalist dressing is in vogue (which does not attract much of criticism), the brahmins should actually take to wearing a kudumi, madisar and kachai on a mass level.

In my opinion, the destruction of outward symbols like these does not necessarily lead to destruction of differences in the mind. Rather these outward symbols should be adopted to foster a sense of community feeling while not harboring feelings of differences in the mind.

Not only outside India, outside Tamilnadu, where Dravidian parties have little or no influence, people have Panchakacham & Madisar without any problem.

Except Saudi Arabia, all other Gulf countries have alloowed religious freedom. Probably religious conversion is prohibited which is not affecting us.

For the recent Avani Avittam, I had Panchakacham, visited nearby temple in Chennai and returned in the same dress. I am staying in a cosmopolitan area in chennai and nobody created any problem for me.

Evennow I have seen quite a few Senior Advocates apprear in Madras Highcourt with Panchakacham, black coat with Thiruman/Vibuthi.

Last edited:
Dear Sir,

I would like to see a day when Tamil Brahmins see the actual hypocrisy... for example:
1. women who are going through their periods are asked to sit alone on the side without allowing her to enter the kitchen or touch any items. This was done probably in early days by ignorant stupid brahmins so that they dont have physical relationship with their wife going through period

2. people going to god men and god women who claim that they get "swami" in their heads and hence able to predict what will happen to them. Maybe they are lying.. or maybe they are just so paranoid about their spirituality that they have lost the practical wisdom.

3. older women expecting their daughters and daughter in laws to dress in a certain way, (long hair, tikka, etc etc) just like someone who dress a doll.. avoiding them of their individuality. ( please do not mistake this to mean I support women to wear western clothes).. even if women wear indian clothes there are expectations on their particular looks.

4. people still believing in horoscopes for deciding their children future rather than asking two adult individuals to use their common sense to understand if the girl and the boy can make decisions to live with each other

Hope you can concentrate on these issues which are more affecting todays brahmins that some rituals are followed in a certain way. It is each individual's personal choice on how much spirituality to follow.

Thanks
Sridhar

sridhar,

my views are very similar to that of yours.

but i am not so sure, that these are signs of hypocracy by themselves.

i think most of it is adherence to a tradition, that we are unwilling or unable to get rid of.

re women and menses, we saw that as we were growing up, and it takes one some assertiveness, and agreement between the spouses to be free of such practice.

again, the presence of parents, the concept of suddhham and madi all go contrary to one's common sense, but not necessarily to one's sensibility.

i have seen the arrival of swami in several ayyappan processions of which i have been part. i always wondered about it. it never happened to me.

the dress code of women: i think it is an obsession in our society. even anna university has a dress code. in certain colleges in kerala, males are prohibited from wearing mundu, and women from salwar kameez.

horoscopes? another habit, which i (and my parents) were blessed as not to get hooked.

so sridhar, these are quirks. ignorances. blind adherence to tradition. yes. yes. yes.

by itself these are not acts of hypocracy.

i think to practice hypocracy, is to preach something, and practice to the contrary. people who practice those above mentioned stuff, but oppose it publicly, are hypocrites.

thank you.

கண்ணீர் விட்டாவது வளர்ப்போம்

தெய்வத்தின் குரலில் பரமாச்சாரியார் வடிக்காத கண்ணீரா ?
தவறு நடந்து விட்டது . தவறுகளை குறைக்க எத்தனிக்க வேண்டும் .
இனி வரும் தலை முறைக்கு எதாவது செய்தே ஆகவேண்டும் .
பிராமணன் வாழ்வது பிராமணனுக்கு மட்டும் அல்ல . நமது
மொத்த உலகுக்ககாகவே . அப்படி வாழ முடிந்தாலே நாம்
பிராமணர்கள் . இல்லையேல் செய்யும் தொழிலில் உள்ளவர்களே நாம் .
நமது இந்த இணைய தளத்தில் எழுப்படும் பிரச்சனைகளின் அடிப்படையே மிகவும் சிந்திக்கப் படவேண்டியன சில வருத்தப்படவைக்கிறது .
நமது பிரச்சனை நாம் தான் . பிராமணனின் வளர்ச்சி பொருளாதார வளர்ச்சி மட்டுமா ?
--

have you found any brahmin beggars? Any brahmins in the cheris of chennai?
‘ஒரு பிராமணப் பிச்சைக்காரனைக்காட்ட முடியுமா’ன்னு குஞ்சுப்பு அண்ணா கேக்கறார். சவாலுக்கெல்லாம் நான் வரலை, ஸ்வாமி. இப்பவே தோல்வியை ஒப்புக்கறேன். நீங்க வாஸம் பண்ற கனடாவிலேயோ, யு.எஸ்., ஐரோப்பா, ஆஸியிலேயோ நிச்சயமா என்னாலே அப்படி ஒரு ஆளைக் காட்ட முடியாது.

அண்ணா, தந்தகோபுரத்திலேர்ந்து மெதுவா கீழே எறங்கி, இந்த பாஸ்கர க்ஷேத்ரம் பக்கம் வாங்கோ. இந்தியாவின் ஆத்மா எங்கேயோ இருக்கறதா அந்த பொக்க வாய் கிழவர் சொன்னாரே அந்த கிராமங்கள்லே சுத்தி வாங்கோ, நூத்துக் கணக்கிலே காட்டறேன். நீங்க சீசனுக்கு சிங்காரச் சென்னைக்கு வந்தேள்னா, கார்லே போகாம என்னாட்டமா மாநகரப் பேருந்திலேயோ எலக்ட்ரிக் ட்ரெயின்லேயோ போய் நடந்து போனா, ரயில்வே ஸ்டேஷன் மேம்பாலத்திலேயும் கோவில் வாசல்லேர்ந்து கொஞ்ச தூரம் தள்ளி நின்னும் கையேந்தற பிராமணாளைப் பாக்கமுடியும். அவா அடிக்கடி இடத்தை மாத்திண்டிருப்பா. எனக்குத் தெரிஞ்ச வரைக்கும் தென் சென்னையிலே ஒரு டஜன் பேர்வழியாவது இருப்பான்னு தோண்றது.

இது ஒரு மைக்ராஸ்கோபிக் மைனாரிட்டி. இதைப் போய் பெரிசு பண்ணுவாளான்னு கேப்பேள்.

மத்தவாளை விட நம்ம சமூகம் பொதுவா ஓரளவு வசதியா வாழறது உண்மை. ஆனா பிச்சை எடுக்கறவாளும் இருக்கா. அவா அதிகம் தென்படாததுக்கு காரணம் சொல்றேன்.
நாம எண்ணிக்கைலே குறைஞ்சிருப்பதாலே நம்ம சமூகத்திலே பிச்சை எடுக்கறவாளும் வீதாசாரப்படி குறைவா இருக்கா.

பிச்சைக்காராள்ல ஜாதிவாரியா இது வரைக்கும் யாரும் கணக்கு எடுத்ததா தெரியல்லை.

பிச்சை எடுக்கற நிலைக்கு வந்துட்ட பிறகு ஜாதி என்னன்னு பல பேர் அடையாளங்களை வீசி எறிஞ்சிருக்கலாம்.

மிக முக்கியமான விஷயம் என்னன்னா, நம்மோட சடங்கு முறைகள் எந்தத் தொழில் திறமையும் இல்லாதவாளுக்கும் சிராத்த பிராமணாள், சவுண்டி பிராமணாள், பொணம் தூக்கறது, கல்யாணத்திலே பூரி தக்ஷிணை வாங்கறது அப்படின்னு வேலை வாய்ப்பை உறுதி செஞ்சிருக்கு. அத்தோட கூட்டுக் குடும்ப முறையினாலே ஆதரவு இல்லாத ஒண்ணு விட்ட மாமா, ரெண்டு விட்ட அத்தைகளையும் ஆதரிச்சிருக்கு.

இந்த இரண்டு முறைகளும் க்ஷீணிச்சுண்டு வரதுன்னு தான் நான் பொலம்பறேன்.

‘இதெல்லாம் காலத்தின் கட்டாயம். மாற்றங்கள் இயற்கை நியதி. நாம அதை ஏற்றுக் கொள்ளணும்’னு ஒத்தர் சொல்றது காதிலே விழறது. நடந்திண்டிருந்த கொழந்தை தவழ ஆரம்பிச்சுதுன்னா அந்த மாற்றத்தை ஏத்துக்க முடியுமா?

சென்னைக்குப் பக்கத்திலே ஒரு முதியோர் இல்லத்துக்குப் போயிருந்தேன். அங்கே என்.ஆர்.ஐ. பெற்றோர்களையோ பென்ஷன், வட்டி வருமானம் உள்ளவாளையோ சேத்துக்கறதில்லே. முழுக்க நிர்க்கதியா இருக்கறவாளைத் தான் சேத்துக்கறா. அவா ஜாதி பாத்தோ, கோட்டா நிர்ணயம் பண்ணியோ சேக்கல்லே. ஆனா நான் போயிருந்தபோது இருந்த 60 பேரிலே குறைஞ்சது 3 பேர் பிராமணா இருந்தா. இது 5 சதவீதம் ஆறதா? மக்கள் தொகையிலே நம்ம பங்கும் அது தானே!

அப்புறம், சேரி விஷயம்.
எங்காத்துக்கு எதித்தாப்பல ஒரு மரைக்கார் வீடு. அங்கே ஒரு பிராமணப் பொண்ணு வேலை செஞ்சா. அவா மீன் கொழம்பு வெச்ச பாத்திரம் எல்லாம் இந்தப் பொண்ணு பாவம் முகத்தைச் சுளிச்சுண்டு தேச்சுண்டிருப்பா. “நெட்டை மரங்களென நின்று புலம்பினார்” னு எங்க பாரதி தாத்தா சொன்னாப்பல அந்தப் பொண்ணைப் பாக்கும்போதெல்லாம் நான் மனசுக்குள்ளே புலம்புவேன். “பெட்டைப் புலம்பல் பிறர்க்குத் துணையாமோ?”

அவாத்துக்கே ஒரு நாள் போனேன். ஒரு பழைய ஓட்டு வீடு. தாவாரத்தை ஒட்டி வரிசையா நாலு அறை. ஒண்ணுலே இவா, அடுத்ததிலே ஒரு ரிக்.ஷா ஓட்டறவர், இன்னொண்ணிலே ஒரு தையக்காரர், இன்னொருத்தர் ஜவுளிக்கடையிலே துணி கிழிக்கறவர். இவ ஆம்படையானுக்கு சமையல் வேலை. நாள் பூரா நெருப்பிலேயே கெடந்து வேகறானோல்லியோ, அந்த சூட்டைத் தணிக்கறதுக்காக, சம்பாதிக்கற காசு எல்லாத்துக்கும் தீர்த்தம் வாங்கி அந்தராத்மாவுக்கு அபிஷேகம் பண்ணிண்டிருப்பான். தெருவிலே அவனுக்கு சோபதைக்கு பஞ்சமில்லே. இவ ஜீவனம் பண்ணணுமே? ரெண்டு கொழந்தேள் வேறே. இந்தப் பொண்ணு பாரதி சொல்றாப்பல, “யாதாயினும் தொழில் செய்வோம், யாதும் அவள் தொழிலாம்”னு கர்ம யோகியாயிட்டா.

ஒரு நாள் அவன் செத்தே போயிட்டான். அப்பறம் அந்தப் பொண்ணு என்ன ஆனாள்னு தெரியல்லே.

எங்க ஊர்லே இன்னொரு மாமி. விதவை. கல்யாண வயசிலே ஒரு பொண்ணு. ரெண்டு பேரும் அக்கம்பக்கத்து மனுஷாளோட மில்லிலே கூலி வேலைக்குப் போவா. முனிசிபாலிட்டி குடுத்த 10க்கு 15 மனைலே குடிசை கட்டிண்டு இருந்தா. அதுக்கு கீத்து மாத்தவும் அந்தப் பொண்ணுக்கு கல்யாணம் பண்ணவும் பிராமண சமாஜத்திலே ஒதவி பண்ணினோம். அங்கெ இருந்த நூறு வீட்டிலே இவா மட்டும் தான் பிராமணா. இந்த வீட்டிலே மட்டும் வாசல்லே பளிச்சுனு கோலம் போட்டிருக்கும். சாயங்கால வேளைலே போனா, நிலை கிட்ட ஒரு அகல் வெளக்கு எரிஞ்சிண்டிருக்கும்.

இவாள்ளாம் வாசம் பண்ற இடத்தை சேரின்னு யாரும் சொல்றதில்லே. என்னவோ நகர்னு சொல்லுவா. அந்த மாதிரி சொல்றதுக்கு இங்கிலீஷ்லே என்ன பேரு? யூபெமிஸமா?

இதெல்லாம் பாத்தப்பறம் எனக்கு ஒண்ணு புரிஞ்சுது- பிராமணன் பிராமணனா வாழணும்னா பணம் வேணும்.

100 பிராமணா இருக்கற எங்க ஊர்லே மட்டும் இப்படி ரெண்டு குடும்பம். “நாடு முற்றிலும் உள்ளன ஊர்கள்.” அங்கெல்லாம் எப்படியோ?

பிராமணாள்ளே ஏழையே இல்லாம பண்ணிபிடணும்னு நான் சொல்ல வரலை. எந்த ஜாதியா இருந்தாலும் எல்லாரும் கௌரவமா வாழ வழிபண்ணணும். “ஒத்தன் பிச்சை எடுத்துத் தான் வாழணும்னு பிரம்மா அவன் தலைலே எழுதியிருந்தா அந்த பிரம்மா ஒழிக”ன்னு கத்தினாரே அந்த தாடிக்காரர் கட்சி நான்.

இன்னும், கௌரவப் பிச்சை எடுக்கற பிராமணா பத்தி சொல்லவேண்டி இருக்கு. அது இன்னொரு நாளைக்கு.

Dear Sridhar

Just thought I will comment on this in red

Dear Sir,

I would like to see a day when Tamil Brahmins see the actual hypocrisy... for example:
1. women who are going through their periods are asked to sit alone on the side without allowing her to enter the kitchen or touch any items. This was done probably in early days by ignorant stupid brahmins so that they dont have physical relationship with their wife going through period

This is no comment on the luxuries enjoyed by women these days but women about 3 decades back used to physically slog out. Imagine preparing 3 course meals day in and out minimum 2 times a day plus tiffin in the evening, using the kalloral to do stuff like idli and dosa, constantly serving people who used to come in unannounced and so on. No electric gadgets like mixie to help them. Imagine the sheer monotony and drudgery of it. In such circumstances, the women actually used to welcome the break in terms of those 4 days in a month. I remember, whether it was my mom or aunts, that was the only time when I saw them having any kind of rest. And they actually enjoyed it because that is the time they usually felt a lot of tiredness and used to catch up with lots of sleep and magazine reading. Regarding theetu, I think those women did not have any problems. Some modern women do have a problem because they think it is a form of discrimination. I know a lot of women in my friends' circle who follow theetu voluntarily.

2. people going to god men and god women who claim that they get "swami" in their heads and hence able to predict what will happen to them. Maybe they are lying.. or maybe they are just so paranoid about their spirituality that they have lost the practical wisdom.

You see, not all god men or god women are bad. Our traditions are such that that there has always been a long line of gurus who appear from time to time. It is up to the wisdom of the devotee to discriminate between the good and bad. I am not a follower of Nityananda but I read the magazines that come out of his ashram. He says a true guru is one where his devotee is constantly testing him and the guru succeeds in those tests. He says the devotee should never stop testing the guru and the onus is on the guru to keep passing those tests. These days even educated people are acting like fools because they get cheated by all the wrong kind of people.

3. older women expecting their daughters and daughter in laws to dress in a certain way, (long hair, tikka, etc etc) just like someone who dress a doll.. avoiding them of their individuality. ( please do not mistake this to mean I support women to wear western clothes).. even if women wear indian clothes there are expectations on their particular looks.

I do agree with you on this.

4. people still believing in horoscopes for deciding their children future rather than asking two adult individuals to use their common sense to understand if the girl and the boy can make decisions to live with each other.

I do believe in horoscope matching provided the original birth time was ascertained correctly. I don't know how far these days this is done correctly.

Hope you can concentrate on these issues which are more affecting todays brahmins that some rituals are followed in a certain way. It is each individual's personal choice on how much spirituality to follow.

Thanks
Sridhar

vikrama,

very good post. thank you.

please understand, that we speak here what we know, see and hear. particularly when it comes to poverty among TBs.

i am not the caricatured nri visitor in your post. my visits, till recently have been forced through medical emergencies and sorrows.

of late, there are some weddings, which is a relief, from visiting hospitals and eating thevasa saappaadu.

maybe you should bring up the instances of TB poor among the community here. of Kerala Iyers Trust. kit does not discriminate among the tamil or kerala brahmins.

also understand, that all poverty is not forced. sometimes, it takes a drive and ambition to get out of that state.

i agree that this above is easily said than done. however, where we can give hope, and support in the form of needed money, i think we have the obligation to do the needful.

maybe what we need, is a promotion of awareness and of individual deserving cases. those are easier to handle than starting a full fledged organization with an overhead.

i wish to thank you for your post. i request you to start a thread here, and identify deserving folks for whom, the locals can form a group, audit the requirement, and solicit help.

surprisingly, the last few times, that i have been near kapali temple, i did not find even the proverbial paattimaas asking for alms. nor the usual gaggle of other beggars.

compared to the north, chennai appeared to have few beggars. but then, mine was a snapshot in time. the absence of beggars at that point might have been but a blink.

furthermore, please note, that any honest work should be admired. that instance of the brahmin lady, cleaning a marikaar's house, should not be deemed as shame.

i have a few stories of brahmins whom i have met, to whom, any physical labour is de-meaning. i do not agree with that.

having said that, i think, that as much as we can, we should help our community, to move up the leader to a dignified life where their basic wants are met.

thank you.

ps. poverty sucks. it does not know the discriminate between castes and creeds. what you have said, could be translated into millions of communities too. while we endeavour to take care of our own, i would like to remind you of your another post, where you advocted help, blind to casteism.
good stuff.

akura,

i am not sure as to why you have brought up the question of 'brahmin's prosperity' solely in terms of wealth.

i think, in this day and age, we are just another group of hindus. tamil brahmins, depending on their viewpoint, appear, to me, either more brahmins or tamils.

i think tamil brahmins have a different tradition than brahmins in other states.

the proverbial poverty has been shed in large numbers, and we have moved on to middle and upper moneyed class.

once we started taking salaried jobs, the demands of these professions, stripped us, i think, of our erstwhile erudition in the scriptures.

starting from the 60s, when we moved out of india in large numbers. initially the meant purpose was to 'study'. but underlying it was the motive for a better life.

we tried to hold on to as much of the traditions, as we could, but as is evidenced from the many notes in this forum, it has been an uphill struggle, fraught with guilt and a sense of betrayal.

i think, it is because, we still have not accepted the changes to our lifestyle, all within a couple of generations. the reconciling will come. none too soon.

barring a few hermits, it has been the constant effort of humans to improve their life materially.

in this context, your query, about whether the brahmin's sole purpose is only to improve himself materially... i wish to detatch the human from the caste.

caste, i feel i can set aside.

the human? it all depends on him. if someone is happy making money and does not desire anything else, who are we to question him.

personally, i think, that there must be a life balance - between the yearnings, wants, needs, fulfilments and spirituality.

without this balance, one would be like sitting on a stool, with one or more of the legs missing.

akura, you are in the u.s. i do not know how long. how different is your spirituality here as opposed to what was in india?

i wish to end on a lighter note. i had an uncle, who had a spatikam, and who felt it mandatory to offer prayers to it every day.

each time he visited his children in the u.s., the spatikam was always an object of curiosity with the u.s. customs. the old man enjoyed giving a discourse of the mahimai of the spatikam to an always enthralled u.s. customs officer.

now, to me, that is carrying your religion with you. it did not matter which caste you are. it is what you are!

thank you.

I had this rather interesting private message a little while back. I wish the sender would post it for the public. I see nothing personal there.

What I saw there, was something, that is present as an undercurrent in many a posts here in this forum. I think, it all boils down to our sense of identity and nomenclature.

Who are we? Are we priests? Of the priestly class who should be versed in our scriptures? Do we have a duty to maintain the knowledge? To spread the knowledge?

Personally, I think not too much of the above. my family on both sides, have been removed from the scripture stuff for 3 generations that I know. It could have been more.

So, when I see the residual angst among the new accountants, lawyers, i.t. folks et al, I am quite unable to grasp their dilemma. Why is it that making money appears to be so guilt ridden? Is there a ancestral need for poverty? Was this our driving force in earlier days?

I do not know about other places, but where I live we have private temples. Enterprising TBs have started temples, with a primary deity, and live off the proceeds.

I find it awesome.

Whereas I can hear several voices in the forum, rising up to challenge this supposed blasphemy. To me, that is more a call of fundamentalism, from which I would rather stay away.

So too is the apparent commercialization of vadhyars, cooks and other traditional Brahmin professions. Let us not grudge these guys their successes. Each success breeds a few more, and these are like the typical banana tree, each generation, giving birth and nourishing the next.

As ‘brahmins’ do we have a more duty towards Hinduism. To me that smacks of arrogance and self importance. Hinduism, belongs to all hindus. All of them have an equal responsibility, love, affection and regard for our religion.

To assume that we have a superior motive, I think, is not only wrong, but would give rise, to the type of anti-brahminism, that is so evident in the Dravidian circles. We, think, sometimes, are our own true enemies.

I think, we need to shed, the cloaks and baggages, handed over the generations, in the name of religion. When it came to survival, very easily, we adapted to the modern world, and have done well. Overall, I think, anyway.

But we have not been so successful, in casting off, our ancient hand-me-down religious beasts of burden. The sooner we do that, we better we would be as a community, and even better we would be welcome among the community of tamils.

Not that I do not appreciate the terrible misgivings experienced by many a TBs, at the fast change of events, and even faster change of mores. What I feel more sorry, is the sight of all these folks, in conflict with a world, over which they have no control.

The sooner, I think, they learn to harmonize with the pace and tunes, the sooner, such folks, will find peace. Peace does not come with spirituality alone. Harmony with one’s surroundings is just as important. I think so.

Thank you.

Dear Sri vikrama Ji and Sri Kunjuppu Ji,

It is very interesting to hear that some brahmins are nowadays 'begging'. Because just about ten generations ago, our forefathers did just that, with pride. And it was the part of the then society's expectation, acceptance and sponsorship of such an activity. But then, one should not really call it as 'begging' with all the bad connotations of today. But the sheer irony is there as a stark contrast to remind us how much our role has changed in the eyes of the society.

One can not eradicate poverty. In a fairly enterprise oriented system, there are unfortunate people who sometimes are denied opportunities despite their skills based on various non productive political or societal policies and then there are those who just are not enterprising, who comprise the poor.

The first category must be helped with opportunities and the second category must be 'caoached' through to 'how to fish'. But then in the second category, there are people who will still not want to work - they are okay with poverty. I am not saying this to put down anyone, but this is what I have observed over the course of my life, irrespective of the nationality origin/culture of these folks. Now one culture may produce a fewer of these people than the other, but there is always a percentage of these people in any society. So, I have come to the conclusion that an eradication of poverty 100% in any society is impossible.

I am saying this to understand how do we go about helping our poor brethren in our community.

Regards,
KRS

Teaching `how to fish' is the right solution to the problems facing the entire world.

Literacy and poverty are inversely proportional. If you take Kerala for example, literacy levels are more than 90% and people below poverty line is less than 10%. Kerala doesn't have big industries. Kerala doesn't have big service industry (software,BPO, Call center). Except IIM calicut and NIT Calicut, there are no big educational institutions to talk about. Inspite of all the shortcomings, the state has solved lot of issues relating to Human Development. The state is much more clean and neat as compared to other states in the country. Infant mortality is low and life expectancy is high.

Recently `Times of India' has started a campaign `Teach India' where the newspaper invited to volunteers to teach illiterates. The response is quite good throughout the country.

I earnestly feel that we should organise all our resources to eradicate illiteracy in the country. Recent education bill passed in the Parliment provides compulsory education for the age group 6 to 14.

Dear Kunjuppu ji,

Am not much in agreement with your views. mine is in red.

I had this rather interesting private message a little while back. I wish the sender would post it for the public. I see nothing personal there.

What I saw there, was something, that is present as an undercurrent in many a posts here in this forum. I think, it all boils down to our sense of identity and nomenclature.

Who are we? Are we priests? Of the priestly class who should be versed in our scriptures? Do we have a duty to maintain the knowledge? To spread the knowledge?

Originally the brahmins were definitely the priestly class well versed in scriptures. Though not anymore, I don't see harm in aiming for that position again. If maintaining and spreading that knowledge is to result in some sort of benefit for everyone, what is the harm.

Personally, I think not too much of the above. my family on both sides, have been removed from the scripture stuff for 3 generations that I know. It could have been more.

So, when I see the residual angst among the new accountants, lawyers, i.t. folks et al, I am quite unable to grasp their dilemma. Why is it that making money appears to be so guilt ridden? Is there a ancestral need for poverty? Was this our driving force in earlier days?

I think that it is not just about making money as everyone needs to make money to live. It is probably about the greed and unethical ways to make money. I would say the present day brahmin is more materialistic than even the NB.

I do not know about other places, but where I live we have private temples. Enterprising TBs have started temples, with a primary deity, and live off the proceeds.

I find it awesome.

Whereas I can hear several voices in the forum, rising up to challenge this supposed blasphemy. To me, that is more a call of fundamentalism, from which I would rather stay away.

Your above point needs a bit more elaboration. If someone builds a private temple and using its proceeds to build a 5 B/R villa with a swimming pool and driving a Mercedes, I would find it obnoxious. But if he were living modestly and using the proceeds charitably, I would find it awesome.

So too is the apparent commercialization of vadhyars, cooks and other traditional Brahmin professions. Let us not grudge these guys their successes. Each success breeds a few more, and these are like the typical banana tree, each generation, giving birth and nourishing the next.

I agree with you on this. I will not grudge the living standards of these people as long as they are working hard for it.

As ‘brahmins’ do we have a more duty towards Hinduism. To me that smacks of arrogance and self importance. Hinduism, belongs to all hindus. All of them have an equal responsibility, love, affection and regard for our religion.

Hinduism belongs to all Hindus but traditionally the study of scriptures has been more of a brahmin thing after the varnashrama system came into being. If a brahmin says that we should study and propagate it it is more out of love for it and does not mean the NB should be precluded from doing the same. I don't think personally that we say it out of arrogance. I think it just comes naturally. In my opinion, if non brahmins are not allowed to chant the vedas then that is arrogance.

To assume that we have a superior motive, I think, is not only wrong, but would give rise, to the type of anti-brahminism, that is so evident in the Dravidian circles. We, think, sometimes, are our own true enemies.

The anti-brahminism among the Dravidian circles is just pure vitriol and opportunistic politics. Brahmins are anti-Dravidian not because Dravidians are anti-brahmin. What we attack is how they go about targeting a particular community. Honestly, I care a hoot about what the Dravidians think about us because I don't need a certificate from them. If needed I will reform myself for my sake and not to look good in the eyes of Dravidians.

I think, we need to shed, the cloaks and baggages, handed over the generations, in the name of religion. When it came to survival, very easily, we adapted to the modern world, and have done well. Overall, I think, anyway.

Sir, you need to explain what these cloaks and baggages are? If they are mindless superstitions, I agree with you. But if it means, just stop all these scriptures business altogether and adapt to the modern world, then I disagree.

But we have not been so successful, in casting off, our ancient hand-me-down religious beasts of burden. The sooner we do that, we better we would be as a community, and even better we would be welcome among the community of tamils.

What exactly are these hand-me-down beasts of burden?

Not that I do not appreciate the terrible misgivings experienced by many a TBs, at the fast change of events, and even faster change of mores. What I feel more sorry, is the sight of all these folks, in conflict with a world, over which they have no control.

To change oneself to the changing environment depends on the mindset and the value judgments one has. Practically, one may not be able to change the changing environment but I don't agree that one has to merge into it headlong without reservations.

The sooner, I think, they learn to harmonize with the pace and tunes, the sooner, such folks, will find peace. Peace does not come with spirituality alone. Harmony with one’s surroundings is just as important. I think so.

Depends on the surroundings as well.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

thank you anand. awesome reply and hopefully, i can explain a wee bit more.

i agree, that my statements, viewed with one set of glasses, would appear disagreeable. let me try to change the tint a bit.

and perhaps, it might sound, a wee bit more reasonable?

ok here goes... my counter replies are in pink.

Am not much in agreement with your views. mine is in red.

Originally the brahmins were definitely the priestly class well versed in scriptures. Though not anymore, I don't see harm in aiming for that position again. If maintaining and spreading that knowledge is to result in some sort of benefit for everyone, what is the harm.

anand, i am concerned only about today in this post. if a TB wants to excel in scriptures, so be it. i have nothing anything against it and it is none of my business.

i am trying to generalize the tone of a large number of posts. like all generalizations, this may be faulty, but it is a gut feeling that i have.

I think that it is not just about making money as everyone needs to make money to live. It is probably about the greed and unethical ways to make money. I would say the present day brahmin is more materialistic than even the NB.

you have hit the point about materialism. another way to look at it is drive, ambition or enterprise. to bring up NB here is, i think, irrelevant. also one man's greed is another man's drive. i think endeavouring to make money is good. i think it is even better to give away all such money made. a la bill gates.

I find it awesome.

Your above point needs a bit more elaboration. If someone builds a private temple and using its proceeds to build a 5 B/R villa with a swimming pool and driving a Mercedes, I would find it obnoxious. But if he were living modestly and using the proceeds charitably, I would find it awesome.

my arguements are same as previous. except where i can list greed. during my varanasi visit, to perform obsequies for my parents, i gave the ganapadigal 50,000 rupees lumpsum. not one penny went to dhaanam. he pocketed the whole thing. now that is greed. by the way, he is construction a 5 b/r villa right in the heart of varanasi.

I agree with you on this. I will not grudge the living standards of these people as long as they are working hard for it.

absolutely. honest, hard work should be rewarded.

Hinduism belongs to all Hindus but traditionally the study of scriptures has been more of a brahmin thing after the varnashrama system came into being. If a brahmin says that we should study and propagate it it is more out of love for it and does not mean the NB should be precluded from doing the same. I don't think personally that we say it out of arrogance. I think it just comes naturally. In my opinion, if non brahmins are not allowed to chant the vedas then that is arrogance.

propagating and love of hinduism, should be the goal of every hindu. the varnashrama system and manu has no place in the modern world. it is in this context, i meant 'arrogance'. a little more humility in the service of the cause, would go a longer way, than a sense of entitlement that we are the sole guardians of the faith. personally, i think i am no more or no less a hindu, than my dalit brother and sister.

The anti-brahminism among the Dravidian circles is just pure vitriol and opportunistic politics. Brahmins are anti-Dravidian not because Dravidians are anti-brahmin. What we attack is how they go about targeting a particular community. Honestly, I care a hoot about what the Dravidians think about us because I don't need a certificate from them. If needed I will reform myself for my sake and not to look good in the eyes of Dravidians.

this could be a long post by itself. let us please leave it here. my context in mentioning it, was very parochial. i do not wish to go further.

Sir, you need to explain what these cloaks and baggages are? If they are mindless superstitions, I agree with you. But if it means, just stop all these scriptures business altogether and adapt to the modern world, then I disagree.

yes, these are mindless superstitions, plus a sum up of my previous comments. it has nothing to do with 'stopping the scripture business'. i am emphatic, that 'scriture business' should not only but continue, but flourish, for the greater good of hinduism. but it is not a sole brahmin function. it is of all hindus.

let me give you an example. in the batu caves off kuala lumpur, there is a murugan temple. they have regular religious meetings where tamil hinduism is discussed and hymns sung. from the apparent first impression, and i hope to be wrong, i did not see one brahmin. the brahmins of k.l. have their own brahmana sangham. it is interesting, that both folks adhere to the same religion, but completely distinct in their approach.

What exactly are these hand-me-down beasts of burden?

addressed in previous para.

To change oneself to the changing environment depends on the mindset and the value judgments one has. Practically, one may not be able to change the changing environment but I don't agree that one has to merge into it headlong without reservations.

no one has to merge headlong. but one has to find peace with the flow. to constantly oppose the flow, in the name of tradition, is bringing frustration and sorrow upon yourself and your beloveds.

how many posts we have seen here of laments over the 'freedom' given to our girls and hence their 'high expectations' for marriage. how many boys are lamenting over the lack of available girls.

i have said in many posts, to look out of the box and think differently. otherwise there will be perpetual bachelors, and the situation will be worse for next generation. this is one example of the baggage of tradition.

Depends on the surroundings as well.

i think you have to be in harmony with your surroundings, whatever you define it. each of us will understand this, at our own situations. for some it may be work, others the society and for some it is the neighbourhood where they live. my comment was a broad brush over environments without any specifics about which.

thank you.

Thank you.
[/QUOTE]

Dear Sri Kunjuppu ji,

Thanks for your super fast reply. Got more clarity from your post and I do agree with your position. Can especially see your point regarding the Batu caves. Brahmins definitely need to come out of their old boys network and become more mainstream. If Hinduism has to move forward, it needs the contribution from every Hindu.

thanks

பூணல் கல்யாணம்

வெய்யில் உக்ரமாயிருந்தது. சித்த நேரம் அக்கடான்னு கண்ணை மூடலாம்னு படுத்துண்டேன். ‘வாடா இப்ராஹிம்’னு கொரல் கேட்டதும் தலையைத் தூக்கிப் பாத்தேன். என் பேரன் தான். எதுத்த வீட்டுப் பையனை அழைச்சிண்டு வந்தான். ரெண்டு பேரும் ஊஞ்சல்லே உக்காந்தானுக. போன மாசம் நடந்த தன்னோட பூணல் கல்யாண ஆல்பத்த தன் ப்ரெண்டு கிட்டே காமிச்சு பேசிண்டு இருந்தான்.

திடீர்னு அவன் கேட்டான், “இது என்னடா, நாகூர் ஆண்டவர் சமாதி மாதிரி பட்டுத் தோணியைப் போட்டு போத்திருக்கு.”

“சமாதி இல்லேடா. இது தான் பிரும்மோபதேசம். பட்டுத் துணிக்குள்ளே நான் எங்கப்பா அம்மா எல்லாரும் இருக்கோம்.”

“அதுக்குள்ளே பூந்துகிட்டு ஒளிஞ்சி வெள்ளாடறீஙகளா?”

“இல்லேடா, அப்போ தான் எனக்கு காயத்ரி சொல்லிக் கொடுத்தாங்க.”

“காயத்ரிண்டா, நம்ம கிளாஸ்லே ஒரு பொண்ணு இக்கிதே, அதுவா?”

“காயத்ரின்னா மந்தரம்டா. எங்க வீட்டு காலிங் பெல்லிலே பாட்டு பாடுதில்லே, அது தான் அந்த மந்தரம்.”

“அதைக் கேட்டுக் கேட்டு எனக்கே மனப்பாடம் ஆயிடிச்சு. ஒனக்கும் தான் முதல்லேயே தெரியுமே, அதை எதுக்கு உனக்கு சொல்லிக் கொடுக்கணும்?”

“இல்லேடா, அதை மொறைப்படி எங்கப்பா அன்னிக்குத் தான் சொல்லிக் கொடுத்தார். எந்த மந்திரமும் குரு கிட்ட கத்துகிட்டுச் சொன்னா தான் பலன் உண்டுன்னு சொல்றாங்க.”

“எதுக்காக அதைச் சொல்லிக் கொடுத்தாக உனக்கு?”

“அதைத் தெரிஞ்சுகிட்ட அப்பறம் தான் நான் வேதத்தைக் கத்துக்க முடியும். தினமும் அந்த மந்திரத்தை மூணு வேளையும் ஜபம் பண்ணினா அறிவு விருத்தி ஆகும்னு சொன்னாங்க.”

“நீ வேதம் படிக்கப் போறியா?”

“இல்லேடா. அது வேறே ஸ்கூல். அதிலே சேந்தா இந்தப் படிப்பை விட்டுடணும். எஞ்சினீயர் டாக்டர்னு ஆகமுடியாது.”

“அப்போ அறிவு வளர்றதுக்காக நீ அந்த ஜபம் செய்திட்டு இருக்கியா?”

“அது சுத்த போர் டா. காலம்பற 108 தடவை, மத்தியானம் 32 தடவை, சாயங்காலம் 64 தடவை சொல்லணும். அதுக்கு முன்னாடி பின்னாடி வேறே மந்தரங்கள் இருக்கு. ஒவ்வொரு வேளையும் கால் மணிக்கு மேலே ஒரே இடத்திலே உக்காந்திருக்கணும்டா.”

“அப்ப நீ அதைச் செய்யறதில்லயா? செய்யாட்டி உங்க வாப்பா திட்டமாட்டாரா?”

“அவரும் செய்யறதில்லே. அதனாலே என்னை ஒண்ணும் சொல்ல மாட்டார்.
அம்மா தான் தினமும் சந்தி பண்ணுடா சந்தி பண்ணுடான்னு ளொள் பண்ணுவாங்க. நான் ஹோம் ஒர்க் இருக்கும்மான்னு சொன்னா சரி, நாளைக்குப் பண்ணும்பாங்க.”

“தாத்தா?”

“அவரு பொலம்பிகிட்டே இருப்பாரு. அவரு சொல்றதை யாரும் கேட்டுக்க மாட்டாங்க.”

“ரயில்லே போறதுக்கு டிக்கெட் எடுக்கணும். பிளாட்பாரத்திலே நிக்கிறதுக்கும் டிக்கெட் எடுக்கணும். ஸ்டேஷன் பக்கமே போக மாட்டேன்னு சொல்றவங்க எதுக்காக டிக்கெட் எடுக்கணும்?”

‘சபாஷ்டா இப்ராகிம்’னு சொல்லணும் போல இருந்தது. என் புள்ளே கிட்ட முட்டிண்டேன். “நாலு வைதீகாள வெச்சு கூடப் பொறந்தவாளை மட்டும் கூப்பிட்டு வீட்டிலேயே உபநயனத்தை சிம்பிளா நடத்துடா”ன்னேன்.

“எதுக்காக சிம்பிளா பண்ணணும், நம்மாத்துக்கு ஒரே பேரன், நமக்கு காசு பணம் இல்லயா?” – இது என்னோட தர்ம பத்தினி.

“எங்க பொறந்தாத்திலே நிறய சீர் செய்யக் காத்திண்டிருக்கா. அதுக்குச் சமதையா விமரிசையா பண்ணினாத் தான் கௌரவம். மேலும் செலவு பண்ற அளவுக்கு நமக்கு ஆசீர்வாதப் பணம் வந்துடும்.” பக்கவாத்தியம் வாசிச்சது என் மாட்டுப் பொண்.

“விமரிசையாப் பண்றதை விட கொழந்தையை சந்தி பண்ண வெக்கறது தான் முக்கியம்”னு நான் சொன்னது யார் காதிலேயும் விழல்லே.

எங்காத்துலேயும் சக்தி பீடம் தான். நான் செவனேன்னு இருந்துட்டேன். அவ சொன்னது வாஸ்தவம் தான். செலவை விட வரும்படி அதிகமாத் தான் இருந்துது. யு.எஸ்ஸிலே இருக்கற என் மாட்டுப் பொண்ணோட அண்ணா மருமானுக்கு ஈ-பைக் வாங்கிக் குடுன்னு ஆயிரம் டாலர் அனுப்பிச்சார்.

தூக்கம் கண்ணைச் சுத்தித்து.
“நான் யூகேஜி படிக்கையிலே தொடங்கினேன். பள்ளி வாசல்லே மௌல்வி குர் ஆன் படிச்சுக் குடுப்பாரு. இது வரைக்கும் எனக்கு 50 சுரா வந்திடிச்சி. இன்னும் ரெண்டு வருஷத்திலே முழுக்க முடிச்சிடுவேன்”னு அவன் சொன்னது கெணத்துக்குள்ளேருந்து பேசறாப்பல காதிலே விழுந்தது.

Vikrama has a point to prove. But such pretensive behaviour is there in every community. Due to social pressure, one has to accept and practise many things, in which he does not have any belief/conviction. Sometimes, he may hold a view that is totally contrary and opposite too. But, for the fear of being isolated or even otracised, one has to do certain things, albeit unwillingly. To stand up and refuse to do the acts that do not suit one's beliefs and faith, he has to gain some stature in his own community. Then he can muster courage to say what he wants and to do what he is interested in. Here it is his duty to not only explain his stand but give proper reasoning for it. Initially, there will be a lot of resistance; then the resistance will come down and others though inwardly supporting his stand, will not say anything openly. Final stage is he will become a reformer and change the society itself by his words and action. All this is subject to the fact that whatever he says and does is within the universal and eternal moral code of ethics - 'DHARMA'.

Last edited:
The fact remains that Islam is now categorized as the fastest growing religion in the world especially in Europe and USA. While Quran reading was like a mandatory thing among Arabs, even the more moderate Muslims in countries like India are now voluntarily reading the Quran. There is a ex-muslim website run by Muslims who have left Islam as they believe Islam is a very violent religion helped by the Quran which has lot of passages which incite hatred against the non-believers in Islam. If this is true, it is very worrying because the previously non-violent Muslims can turn violent believing it is authorized by their scriptures. The problem lies more with the recent converts than Muslims or Christians who have been so for a few generations. It is now an accepted fact that converts are more zealous and violent as they are eager to prove their acceptance of the new religion.

I have always been amazed by the fact that in spite of the pacifist nature of our scriptures, it has been questioned so much by Hindus while the Muslims accept meekly of what ever is said in their scriptures even if it incites violence. As Mr. Pannvalan rightly pointed out, the fear of punishment is higher in a religion like Islam than Hinduism if we remember what happened to Salman Rushdie. The tolerance level for anything un-Islamic or anti-Islamic is almost zero in Islam. I read an interesting analysis in this website where Islam was mentioned more as a cult than a religion. A cult is one where the fear of punishment is high if one were to leave the cult. An question was posed by a Muslim who wanted to leave Islam asking how to go about it. The moderator answered back saying the person should tell no one, not even his own family members for the fear of not being just ostracized but possibly killed.

I think hypocrisy in our religion could also be a by-product of the degree of flexibility that exists in our scriptures in respect of following what is said there. In Islam, you will probably find a Muslim who completely believes in it and follows everything meticulously or one who does nothing. But even the guy who does nothing cannot talk or argue about his viewpoint. Among Hindus, we will follow practices which might suit our time, convenience and pocket. And sometimes we might preach what we don't practice. It is like the father not doing the Sandhya forcing his son to do it.

But sometimes I prefer to be hypocritical than fanatical. There are 2 things you cannot miss if you work in the Gulf. One is the parking lots near to mosques when the call for prayer is announced. People would park even in the middle of roads to attend the prayers. I am talking about the inside roads and not the main ones. One should actually pray that you don't have a heart attack and need to rush to the hospital that time. Secondly is the act of Ablution or cleansing oneself (by itself very noble) before the prayers. Just to illustrate, on the floor where my office is located is a arab tv channel populated entirely by expat arabs (Jordan, Syria, Lebanon). All the offices on a particular floor is serviced by a common rest room. Five times a day just before the prayer times, you just cannot enter the rest room because you have this bunch of bare footed arabs performing the ablution. Some will be cleaning their tongue making guttural noises, two will be washing their feet in the wash basin splashing water all over the place, a couple of them will be splashing water over their head. The whole restroom will be a watery mess after this and 5 times a day. I was aghast initially when I came to the Gulf but learned that questioning it will earn one a jail term with deportation. So in Islam, one doesn't go against the tenets of it. Even if you don't do it, at least don't talk about it because you are sure to invite the wrath of the faithful.

Following cannot go on forever.

1. Anything done out of social pressure/compulsion.

2. Any compliance out of fear of reprisal.

3. Anything done mechanically, with the doer not putting his mind in it.

4. Absence of attractive and viable alternatives.

5. The general tendency 'Why should I change my path? I am not desperate to leave
it; nor any physical threat or intimidation is seen immediately'

If the follower doesn't have deep faith and unswerving conviction in what he is thinking and doing, he will become passive and indolent, with no positive contribution from his side. He will turn into a mere puppet obeying his master's commands or manipulations.

A community comprising of so many individuals facing the above-described situations will peacefully and silently rebel and slowly come out of their shell or prison and start a fresh lease of life, that will show them a whole new world order which they have never dreamt of.

Last edited:
சிரித்தானும் சிந்தி

ஏன்ணா நோக்கு ஒன்னு தெரியுமோன்ணோ .

என்னடா அம்பி ரம்மி ஆடறச்ச உபத்ரவம் .

இல்லன்ன நம்ம பூனுல் விவகாரமா விக்ரமா என்க்ரவா
சூப்பர் ஜோக் அடிச்சி நம்மளவா வெப் சைட்லே சும்மா
விவேக் ஜோக் பண்றதுக்கும் ஒருபடி மேலே எழுதியிருக்கா .
சித்த படியுங்கோ வயருவலிச்சி புண்ணே ஆயிடித்து .
புள்ளண்டான் வேறு எங்காச்சு எழுதி நாலு காசு பாத்தா
புழச்சுக்கலம் .

--
குறும்பு பின்.. இந்த எண்ணமும் எழுத்தும் (விக்ரம ) சிரிக்கமட்டுமே பயன்பட்டு வீணாகுமோ ?
எங்கே ஓடுகிறாய் ஓடியபின்னும் உட்காரத்தானே
போகிறாய் . ஓடி உட்கார்ந்தபின் சிந்திப்பதைக் காட்டிலும் உட்கார்ந்து சிந்தி.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back