• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

And here comes the attacks from the cowards - attacks on elderly brahmin priests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Migration to other parts of india or to a foreign country is healthy and desirable for various reasons. But bad mouthing country of birth, and its people is the sin some emigres commit.

Chithirai festival is being celebrated in Karaneeswarar Temple. Today it is Ther. Unfortunately, the old priest, who was attacked by goons, who is the head priest, could not attend the function.

It is field day for rationalist goons in TN.

I read somewhere that another group did the last rites for the husbands whose wives removed thalis. Now the wives may start worrying.

I read somewhere that another group did the last rites for the husbands whose wives removed thalis. Now the wives may start worrying.

If that is so, for all practical purposes, the husbands in question are only ghosts.

'What have I done to deserve this humiliation?'

May 05, 2015 11:19 IST

I was a priest in the Mangalambika temple in my village for 40 years. I was respected and loved in my village. Today I feel insulted and humiliated'

'It was not the physical pain but the mental anguish that brought tears to his eyes'

attachment.php

Viswanatha Gurukkal is 78 years old, suffers from diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and loss of hearing. He also has a weak heart and walks haltingly.

Fifteen years ago, after he retired from being a full-time priest in his quiet, serene village near Villupuram, he moved to Chennai to be near his two sons. From then on, he has spent each morning and evening slowly walking from his small house in an agraharam (a Brahmin enclave) to the nearby Karneswara temple to pray and sometimes help his elder son, Shanmugha Gurukkal, who works there as a priest. He does so both because his doctor advised him to walk on a daily basis and because he cannot imagine passing a day without visiting a temple.

On April 19, Viswanatha Gurukkal, as usual, sauntered back home at 7 in the evening, silently muttering prayers to himself. The street was quite dark and deserted by then. He had reached the front of his house when eight-nine young men approached him on three motorcycles. They stopped their bikes and surrounded him. They shouted ‘Periyar Vaazhga’ (Long live Periyar, the father of the Dravidian movement) and one of them slapped Gurukkal hard.

Then they pulled his veshti and pushed him so hard that he lost his balance and fell down on the road. In the meantime, one of the men cut his ‘poonal’ (sacred thread) and shouted ‘Periyar Vaazhga’ once again. As he lay on the road writhing in pain, unable to understand what was happening to him, they fled the scene.

The noise alerted some of Gurukkal’s neighbours who rushed out of their homes and saw him lying on the road. They helped him up and took him inside his house.

Mangala Nathan, 46, remembers seeing such incidents in the early '80s in Chennai. “My father had only experienced the non-political quiet life in a village. In the '80s, as a teenager, I had seen goons cutting the kudumi (the tuft on the head) of Brahmins in many places in Vadapalani. Only after MGR (M G Ramachandran) became chief minister that these kind of incidents stopped occurring.

“In the 15 years of MGR rule, not a single incident of this sort happened here. For the first time after the Dravidian movement started, we felt safe. After that, till now, I didn’t see any anti-Brahmin movement in Tamil Nadu but unfortunately, it has sprung up again with some political parties taking up anti-Brahminism as their major plank. They want an issue to come to the forefront and this is one issue they feel they can use that can attract attention.

"I have performed pujas for 1,500 films myself. What happened to my father was more like what happens in films -- so shocking and painful. My father has not slept properly after the incident. It is heart-breaking to see him sit alone and weep. Let’s forget the fact that he is a Brahmin and a priest, he is an old man. Is it right to treat an old man like this? That is my question,” Mangala Nathan said.

Gurukkal's daughter, who lives in Salem, asks of the attackers, “Why did you pick on my old father? Why don’t you pick on people who can resist your action? What harm has he done to you? I have nothing to do with politics but he is my father, he is sick and he is so old. Why do you have to insult my father like this? He is so old that he can’t even lift his hands to stop you from hitting him. It is so painful to see what my father has gone through now. He has performed so many pujas for so many people and conducted so many marriages. He hasn’t done a single bad thing in his life. Does he deserve this humiliation?”

Viswanatha Gurukkal, who was listening to his children speak, said in his quivering voice, “It all happened in a minute and I just couldn’t recollect anything for some time. I only remember some drunken youngsters coming in a bike very fast and surrounding me. They twisted my right hand before slapping me. I couldn’t understand why someone should beat me and do something like this. I have never hurt anyone in my life...”

The very thought of those scary moments shook him, even though more than a week had passed since the incident.

attachment.php

As we were about to leave, he folded his hands and said, “I was a priest in the Mangalambika temple in my village for 40 years. I was respected and loved in my village. Today I feel insulted and humiliated. What have I done to deserve this? Please do something so that no other old man has to face this kind of humiliation.”

'What have I done to deserve this humiliation?' - Rediff.com India News

Attachments

• Gurukal 1.jpg
    Gurukal 1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Gurukal 2.jpg
    Gurukal 2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 194
Sad. Consolation is he did not suffer major injury. The culprits though arrested will not be jailed because there was no witness to testify.

Sad. Consolation is he did not suffer major injury. The culprits though arrested will not be jailed because there was no witness to testify.

You mean none of the people who saw this are ready to testify in Mylapore? Sad state of affairs..Shame on us!

As he lay on the road writhing in pain, unable to understand what was happening to him, they fled the scene.

The noise alerted some of Gurukkal’s neighbours who rushed out of their homes and saw him lying on the road. They helped him up and took him inside his house.

Viswanatha gurukkal said he was not aware of what was happening and did not see the faces of attackers. The culprits fled before neighbours came to help. The police may extract confession by special means, but prosecution case will be weak.

The distraught family of Viswanatha Gurukkal, who was attacked by a group of youngsters, blames some political parties for taking up anti-Brahminism as their poll plank. Shobha Warrier/Rediff.com reports.

04attack3.jpg

Image: Viswanatha Gurukkal's second son Mangala Nathan took his father to the police station to file an FIR before taking him to the doctor. Photograph: Sreeram Selvaraj
'I was a priest in the Mangalambika temple in my village for 40 years. I was respected and loved in my village. Today I feel insulted and humiliated'
'It was not the physical pain but the mental anguish that brought tears to his eyes'

On April 19, Viswanatha Gurukkal, as usual, sauntered back home at 7 in the evening, silently muttering prayers to himself. The street was quite dark and deserted by then. He had reached the front of his house when eight-nine young men approached him on three motorcycles. They stopped their bikes and surrounded him. They shouted ‘Periyar Vaazhga’ (Long live Periyar, the father of the Dravidian movement) and one of them slapped Gurukkal hard.
Then they pulled his veshti and pushed him so hard that he lost his balance and fell down on the road. In the meantime, one of the men cut his ‘poonal’ (sacred thread) and shouted ‘Periyar Vaazhga’ once again. As he lay on the road writhing in pain, unable to understand what was happening to him, they fled the scene.

In no time, both his sons were by his side. Mangala Nathan, his second son, a priest who conducts launch pujas for the Tamil film industry, decided to take him to the nearest police station and file an FIR before taking him to the doctor.
“Later we came to know that the attackers belong to a political party that derive pleasure in attacking Brahmins. I do not know why they target old men. Three old priests were attacked the same day at different places but nobody dared make a police complaint. I was not ready to let it go. I took my father to the police station and filed an FIR. I must say the police were extremely helpful and understanding. Before cutting the ‘poonal’ of old Brahmins, the group had cut the ‘thaali’ (mangalsutra) off of some women,” Mangala Nathan said.

'What have I done to deserve this humiliation?' - Rediff.com India News

Thanks,
I searched the site before posting but could not find any post in this regard, may be the search does not include Tamil posting.

We, the Bs, must first understand that this is not a humiliation but an attack on innocent person.

It is time for us, especially Smarthas, to join together and form a powerful unit to avoid such ugly incident in future.

We, the Bs, must first understand that this is not a humiliation but an attack on innocent person.

It is time for us, especially Smarthas, to join together and form a powerful unit to avoid such ugly incident in future.
This is not just an attack.

It is humiliating a revered priest and an act to be condemned. :whip:

Dear Chandru,

The humiliation feeling is part of the cascade of what we call Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Having faced an attacker and becoming a victim people who are going tru PTSD feel totally victimized,insulted and humiliated.

It is a totally helpless feeling...some amount of anger and regret too comes in..the victim also at times feels that he/she did not react enough to save or defend him/herself.

The person will also have behavioral change and become a but defensive towards others for some time.He/She might view everything as invasion of privacy for a short period.

The priest will eventually recover from this with moral support..takes time..for some people it can take almost a year to get back full normal state of mind.

Last edited:
புரட்சிதலைவியின் அதிரடி.....

சென்னையில் வயதான பிராம்மணரின் பூணுலை அறுத்து தாக்கிய சமூகவிரோதிகள் 6 பேர் மீதும் குண்டர்சட்டம் பாய்ந்தது. சமூகவிரோதி தேச விரோதிகளை கைது செய்து குண்டர்சட்டத்தில் அடைத்த புரட்சிதலைவிக்கு நன்றி

:yo:

Source: face book

The distraught family of Viswanatha Gurukkal, who was attacked by a group of youngsters, blames some political parties for taking up anti-Brahminism as their poll plank. Shobha Warrier/Rediff.com reports.

04attack3.jpg

The son of this priest looks very familiar.I have seen a few Tamil movies where a person who plays a small short role of a priest conducting marriages looking just like him.

The post above does say that he does Pooja for the Film Industry..so I wonder if its him who plays guest roles of a priest in movies.

The priest performed pooja for Pradosham on 15th May 2015 at Karaneeswarar Temple.

He has recovered and let us wish him well.

One of his sons, who can be seen at the Pillayar Koil in Arundale Street, is acting in serials. The other son is the Archakar at Karaneeswarar Temple.

As per latest report, the hooligans, who attacked the Priest, were booked under Goondas Act.

Yes. He is the same person who acts in films as priest.

I know him.

The son of this priest looks very familiar.I have seen a few Tamil movies where a person who plays a small short role of a priest conducting marriages looking just like him.

The post above does say that he does Pooja for the Film Industry..so I wonder if its him who plays guest roles of a priest in movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back