• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

An alternative for veda patshalas

Brahmins are brilliant. Our children ca go through 1-8std working just half an hour a day. We are not ready to enroll them in veda patshala to learn our traditional rituals. Why dont we use modern techmology, zoom youtube etc for the local vadhyar to conduct veda classes, rudram, suktams, sahasranamams, I puja vidhi etc. He must be paid a monthly fee by the parent every month and must conduct revision and practical in his house once a month. Brahmin girls can also be included. With thus methid, every brahmin cchild can understand the basic samskarams and go for advanced training if required, without affecting their secular education and livelihood. Worst comes to worst, the diploma from the vadjyar will help them earn a livelihood anywwhere and also a instant greencard to america on a religious category.

Brahmins are brilliant. Our children ca go through 1-8std working just half an hour a day. We are not ready to enroll them in veda patshala to learn our traditional rituals. Why dont we use modern techmology, zoom youtube etc for the local vadhyar to conduct veda classes, rudram, suktams, sahasranamams, I puja vidhi etc. He must be paid a monthly fee by the parent every month and must conduct revision and practical in his house once a month. Brahmin girls can also be included. With thus methid, every brahmin cchild can understand the basic samskarams and go for advanced training if required, without affecting their secular education and livelihood. Worst comes to worst, the diploma from the vadjyar will help them earn a livelihood anywwhere and also a instant greencard to america on a religious category.
Good but why think of America right away?

I happen to live in the US. I selected a Vaadhyar to teach me Vedas. He patiently explained to me that first I have to learn Suktams, Rudhram, Chamakam, Laghunyasam, GhaNapAtam, etc before asking to be taught Yajur or any other Vedas.

I know some of these well having learnt them here, so we started on Suktams like Bhagya Suktam.

It is a necessary process to find the right Guru who can correct our silly mistakes and guide us correctly. I use modern remote technologies since I am too old to join a pAtashaala now!

But it is all working out! Learning Sanskrit and all these scriptures is in itself a penance. If you have dedication, you will find a way.

Adding to my original post, my motivation - I sincerely wish someone had opened my eyes to vast ocean of knowledge in our religion, when I was much younger and not become a "pretending to read scriptures, sofa sitter", in my old age. I topped my state in AIHSC exam without any effort, BE, MS, mba(IIM) came and went without even stretching myself. I had done advanced Sanskrit in my AIHSC, so i knew sanskrit very well. I come from a "modern" city background and was not exposed to religious ceremonies. My upanayanam was done when I was 28, in a vadhyars house around guruvayoor, with absolutely no understanding at all. I did not do sandhyavandanam even for a single day or even knew which way to wear the poonal. When my father died and I had to perform the ceremonies and even during my marriage ceremony later on, I was totally lost. I started reading up to Hindu scriptures, bought all books from Ramakrishna mission bookstore etc, but the crucial age had past, what I would have breezed through below 25 years, I was struggling to get past the introduction or read past chapter 2.

We have got this Brahmin Janma, in order to have a spiritual and environmental headstart into the path of god-realisation and moksham. Our generation has wasted this lifetime like me, let our future generations start their journey and exposure to our vast vedic and scriptural resources at 6 rather than 60. We have the advantage oh technology, computers, smart phones etc, which will make this possible at their convenience, without sending our children to distant places. PS:1) Sanskrit must be taught (all pre packaged videos/ apps), early on. 2) only for Brahmins, we don't want pseudo ekalavyas and zakir hussains coming out of the woodwork later. 3) the course must be organized and created by vedic scholars, in a way which is serious but doable by average children, any child not interested, or any parent more interested in byju, can drop out as not all are created alike.

Last edited:
Adding to my original post, my motivation - I sincerely wish someone had opened my eyes to vast ocean of knowledge in our religion, when I was much younger and not become a "pretending to read scriptures, sofa sitter", in my old age. I topped my state in AIHSC exam without any effort, BE, MS, mba(IIM) came and went without even stretching myself. I had done advanced Sanskrit in my AIHSC, so i knew sanskrit very well. I come from a "modern" city background and was not exposed to religious ceremonies. My upanayanam was done when I was 28, in a vadhyars house around guruvayoor, with absolutely no understanding at all. I did not do sandhyavandanam even for a single day or even knew which way to wear the poonal. When my father died and I had to perform the ceremonies and even during my marriage ceremony later on, I was totally lost. I started reading up to Hindu scriptures, bought all books from Ramakrishna mission bookstore etc, but the crucial age had past, what I would have breezed through below 25 years, I was struggling to get past the introduction or read past chapter 2.

We have got this Brahmin Janma, in order to have a spiritual and environmental headstart into the path of god-realisation and moksham. Our generation has wasted this lifetime like me, let our future generations start their journey and exposure to our vast vedic and scriptural resources at 6 rather than 60. We have the advantage oh technology, computers, smart phones etc, which will make this possible at their convenience, without sending our children to distant places. PS:1) Sanskrit must be taught (all pre packaged videos/ apps), early on. 2) only for Brahmins, we don't want pseudo ekalavyas and zakir hussains coming out of the woodwork later. 3) the course must be organized and created by vedic scholars, in a way which is serious but doable by average children, any child not interested, or any parent more interested in byju, can drop out as not all are created alike.

Good but why think of America right away?
Understand in many metropolis even smaller towns veda classes are being conducted by individuals twice in a week where elders ad well as children participate. The ball was set rolling by mahaperiyava that at least one person from the family should learn vedas

That is why Rajaji introduced குல தொழில் but people misinterupted and atleast if Brahmins followed the same now that kind might be adopted via technology media to learn.

The best thing to do is to adapt the varna system to modern times. It should not be birth based but the determination of one's nature should be not as narrow in scope as aptitude testing.

One should be able to find out one's nature through an objective test scientifically designed . That is the proportion of sattvic, rajasic and tamasic tendencies in one.

That should satisfy all if the test is designed in a wise way.

What do you think?

I would rename the varna competencies as
holistic,
creative and analytic,
street smartness and
Miscellaneous and mixed intelligence

Examples of those who display holistic intelligence are leaders, advisors, teachers etc

Creative and analytic are scientists and technologists

Street smartness are businessmen, politicians

Other intelligence draw from a wide variety of other professions.

In addition to the varna specific qualities those that transcend Varnas and are critical for lasting success are patience, acceptance etc and other higher qualities. The people who exhibit the universal qualities are likely to be top notch and sustain success in their professions.

More difficult to design and assess these qualities but I think could be done.

A hierarchy is important. This is not to impose superiority or inferiority but to coordinate the competencies in the most harmonious and productive manner.

The holistic group should be responsible for the big plans and the overall objectives. They should lead the creative and the street smart group. They give the direction

In any group for example a business organization the one at the top say the CEO should pass holistic thinking and so on

Democracy may still work with the street smart politicians being elected but they should have the holistic and creative group on their side who have been objectively selected.

I think it is very important not to have a big disparity in salaries and other financial benefits among the groups. That helps in people focussing on their talents rather than on thinking how to get into a particular group.

The basic premise is except leaders all others are more or less equally distributed in the population. The leaders should actually be willing to take the least remuneration and their fulfillment should be mostly spiritual.

The best thing to do is to adapt the varna system to modern times. It should not be birth based but the determination of one's nature should be not as narrow in scope as aptitude testing.

One should be able to find out one's nature through an objective test scientifically designed . That is the proportion of sattvic, rajasic and tamasic tendencies in one.

What do you think?
At the same time its really hard to determine a person's tendencies.
It is also subject to change.
Gunas are not fixed.

Change is the only constant.
A person might be sattva dominant during youth..then during later life could be tamas or rajas..then may be swing back to sattva later in life..and might keep changing.

Thats why any type of classification fails.

A hierarchy is important. This is not to impose superiority or inferiority but to coordinate the competencies in the most harmonious and productive manner.

The holistic group should be responsible for the big plans and the overall objectives. They should lead the creative and the street smart group. They give the direction

In any group for example a business organization the one at the top say the CEO should pass holistic thinking and so on

Democracy may still work with the street smart politicians being elected but they should have the holistic and creative group on their side who have been objectively selected.
We are facing severe floods in Msia and the village right behind my houseis flooded to their roof tops!
I am on a hill so I wasnt affected by floods.

Many have lost their lives too in other areas.
No one really waited for any heirarchy as the politicians as usual delay aid.

Everyone helped each other.
At that time heirarchy didnt matter.

Simple factory workers who were good swimmers saved so many people from drowning.
Some people were trapped at their house 2nd floors with no food as water for just too high.
Yet these simple young boys cooked food, packed it..swam with the food placed on floating mattresses and gave people food till the rescue forces managed to help out.

The common man has full potential to be a leader.

The common man here had the swimming skill and experience at an emergency situation as he had grown up in a village and used to swim in rivers.

So do we need a CEO here with holistic thinking?
No! A CEO is good for the corporate sector and not beyond that.

So honestly, people should determine their own ability not just try to always feel we need a leader.

What those simple common men did to rescue people was more efficient than the fire and rescue department.

Their quick thinking saved lives.

So what humans need is not think they always need a leader but to introspect to find their inner leader.

Dear Renuka,

You like it or not that's the dynamics and structure of a group. It is making each one do their best. Some are good at generating ideas and some others at carrying them out.

I think there is nothing new I said in that regard. But what I suggested in line with the ancient Indian thinking was who should be at the different rungs of the hierarchy.

Dear Renuka,

You like it or not that's the dynamics and structure of a group. It is making each one do their best. Some are good at generating ideas and some others at carrying them out.

I think there is nothing new I said in that regard. But what I suggested in line with the ancient Indian thinking was who should be at the different rungs of the hierarchy.
Yes, its ancient.
It worked then but not now.

Dear Renuka,

Remember I am not suggesting birth based hierarchy but talent and skills based. Why would it not work? If aptitude testing , interviews and other selection process can work, this can also work. What I am suggesting is the focus on what personality and talent should hold different levels. And there is no discrimination. Each level is important is the way you have to see it. Top does not mean superior. It is simply based on the right competencies.

What do you think?
Good suggestion. But I am not sure anyone in this country will have the GUTS to implement this impartially . Our Democratic sytstem is so much entrenched with vote bank politics, no politician will come out opnely to support such menaingful exercise. First and foremost let us remove birth determined caste system from all walks of life. For that the Givernment should start removing all caste based questions, classifications, reservations. On the contarray we are seein more distinct caste realted issues are opened up by the Governements

Dear Renuka,

Remember I am not suggesting birth based hierarchy but talent and skills based. Why would it not work? If aptitude testing , interviews and other selection process can work, this can also work. What I am suggesting is the focus on what personality and talent should hold different levels. And there is no discrimination. Each level is important is the way you have to see it. Top does not mean superior. It is simply based on the right competencies.
Our old system is a refined one and followed 1000s of years. Pl imagine if Albert Einstein or Sir C V Raman or Ramanujam was made to appear for tests attend interviews, result ????

Our old system is a refined one and followed 1000s of years. Pl imagine if Albert Einstein or Sir C V Raman or Ramanujam was made to appear for tests attend interviews, result ????
You are right Sir. Guna can discriminate the right talent very finely unlike the modern intelligence tests. I would say in this Kali Yuga it goes up to one in a trillion level which I believe is the level of divinity.

There are many who people who have learnt Rudram, Chamakam and other shlokas during their childhood cashing in on the sentiment to teach their children something about our religious practices in this totally westernized atmosphere by conducting Zoom classes.
It is high time that our religious practices are safeguarded by learned pundits by offering online classes on Vedas, Rituals for gruhastas (starting with nithya pooja vidhaanam). These can be recorded and made available on Youtube and this portal. It is very much essential that it is taken up seriously to ensure that these practices are lost for ever.
The Ghanapati portal is doing a marvellous job of recording Veda mantras and publishing books, but does not offer to teach them.

Good suggestion. But I am not sure anyone in this country will have the GUTS to implement this impartially . Our Democratic sytstem is so much entrenched with vote bank politics, no politician will come out opnely to support such menaingful exercise. First and foremost let us remove birth determined caste system from all walks of life. For that the Givernment should start removing all caste based questions, classifications, reservations. On the contarray we are seein more distinct caste realted issues are opened up by the Governements
Personally I am very committed. I will do whatever it takes to bring in a fair and just system. I am in the midst of creating the approach to make this possible. By God's gift I am beyond temptations and pressures and hope that will help greatly in making it possible. Besides there are others factors which will stand firmly by me in the endeavour.

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back