[FONT=q_serif]There are lot of reasons to burn farm or crop residuals.Here are the valid reasons which i am trying to elaborate in few words:[/FONT]
- First is, We are 1.26 billion people country, to satiate 1.26 people hunger we need to produce more food grains.Usually before green revolution farmer take 3 crops per year and left 2 months in a year for reinstate soil health, but as the population increased, scarcity of food increased in order to address this now farmer is taking 4 crop per year, so they do not have time to cut & shredding & store the crop residue.
- Second is, Labour cost come in crop residue cutting, storing & transportation , is not viable now a days.
- Third is, A gradual decrease in livestock population. In 1947 India’s population was 30 crore and cows were 120 crore.Now India’s population is 126 crore and cows left around 20 crore . Before green revolution farmers used to use crop residue as a cattle feed. As cattle population is decreasing crop residue consumption decreasing.
- Fourth is, Now a days farmers is using machines for harvesting crops.These machines is not harvest or cut crop from the bottom part of plant. They shredd upper part of plant. So leaving more crop residue.
- Fifth and most important part is our farmer is being told after the green revolution to burn these residue, they cited reason behinds this, The diseases of last crop will not transmit in coming sowing crop and same for weeds.They also advocating in farmers, burning residuals of crops is a good practice because left ash is a good source of phosphorous.