• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

An Advaitic "Affair"

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

I have been doing some deep thinking lately wondering why understanding Brahman,Maya,Advaita seems confusing to all and many.

I came to a conclusion that this caused by too much focus on spirituality and lack of a real life analogy.

We really do not need to link Science with Advaita..or claim that Vishnu is Inertia..or Maya is rest-mass...Brahma is Gravity..sorry Mr TBT!LOL

This only adds to the already confused state of minds.

Sravna, hold on..this post is going to seem rather non-spiritual but I promise you that you will get a clearer understanding after reading my point of view.

Forum too has been too focused on the Sliding numbers of TBs thread..that other threads seems to be "rest- mass"LOL

Ok...Advaitic "Affairs"..Yes..I am talking about Affairs here.

The Advaita word was just to get attention to this thread but there will be a hint about Realization eventually.

Lets begin.

Just say a person is married..he has a wife and a few children.
As time goes on he starts to feel bored with the routine and gravitates towards another woman while still being married.

Now why does this happen?
Reason....in a marriage a person can NEVER be his/her true self.

He/She has to assume multiple roles and multiple responsibilities..even conversations between husband and wife revolves around home..paying bills..loans..children..in laws..etc.

Any thing that needs urgent attention spells some amount of anxiety.

So marriage is Samsara..Its never a steady state..responsibilities toss our state of mind in different directions and we forget to be ourselves.

The true SELF..what we are..that is the Aham.

Now when a person gravitates towards another person..he is not seeking anything much actually..he is seeking a place to be himself(although I do not deny this place comes with a lot of beneficial action too)

When a person is having an affair with "the other woman"...that scenario does not involve children..talking about loans..paying bills..inlaw etc.

A person gets to be "himself"..to a great extent he can feel some sort of Aham.

There is no multiple roles to play..no need to play husband..no need to play son..or Son in Law or father ..he can just unwind and be himself in an affair.

For a some moments he is out of Samsara.

But now...is this state real?

Well it gives us a glimpse on how being out of Samsara can feel but this state is actually a fantasy.

Becos as a long this state remains without commitment he can enjoy the fantasy of being out of Samsara but the moment the mistress tries to make him leave his wife to marry her..all problems start and same cycle repeats..marriage..mistress..marriage etc.

Its like being born over and over again..each state even fantasy does not last long cos there is a tendency for the human mind to be dragged into Samsara again.

Why make a mistress a wife? Its only double Samsara.(No..this thread is not about Dualism)

The fantasy a person has as long he is in an affair is Maya...the feeling of something so real that it even gives us a glimpse of being out of Samsara but in fact its nothing but an illusion.

Marriage is Samsara...Mistress is Maya.

Even a Mistress will eventually try to marry her lover...So Maya is bound to drag you back into Samsara.

How many times can a person get married..have an affair..marry again and so on.

He eventually give up and seeks something that is real and does not drag him anywhere and lets him be SELF.

This is the state where a person detaches himself from everything and remains in a state of SELF contemplation...which spells an end to the endless cycles of life and death.

I hope I made some sense..I feel some sense is there even though I just let my mind flow without any intent to sound logical.

Last edited:
Hi Renu,
You have touched a highly sensitive issue and I am sure will attract a lot of response. According to me, marriage is not the only thing which drags you to Samsara. Had this been, bachelors all over the world would have been the happier lot. Money, Power, Esteem all are different forms of 'Desires' which keeps you engaged in the Samsara Sagara. So the very Desire, desire to have any thing must be the route cause of Samsara. Saint Vibnobaji has siad once "An ordinary man closely guards the fruit of his actions so that none else could have it. But thereby he loses infinite gains that could otherwise have been his. The man attached to worldly affairs toils a lot, but gets little in return. On the other hand, a karmayogi receives infinite gains with little effort. The difference in their mental attitudes makes all the difference"

My interest in spirituality is because spirits are associated with it at the front end of the word.

Humankind by nature would like to live in a fantasy world of angels with whom he can be comfortable remaining his true self without criticism, expectations,

responsibilities, duty which form part of day to day living.

Mistress is a wrong word to describe angels who make it possible. Angels can hardly be wives. Wives can be someones elses angels though as they do not have to put up with as wife on day to day basis

It would be insane to have angels as wives. Then they might become witches haunting and driving you nuts.

I do not know Maya. I saw a film Maya memsahib based on madam bovary , starring deepa sahi , shahrukh khan -ketan mehta film.

Maya in a boring marriage with a doctor comes across Rudra ,when she is lonely pondering fate and life .

She enters into a passionate affair with him and gets into a fantasy world of her own enjoying her affair in a carefree manner.

What happens when Rudra wants to run away from her forms the narrative of this brilliant film.

Rudra the dream boy returns to haunt her when dreams get mixed with realities of living.

Last edited:
Hi Renu,
You have touched a highly sensitive issue and I am sure will attract a lot of response. According to me, marriage is not the only thing which drags you to Samsara. Had this been, bachelors all over the world would have been the happier lot. Money, Power, Esteem all are different forms of 'Desires' which keeps you engaged in the Samsara Sagara. So the very Desire, desire to have any thing must be the route cause of Samsara. Saint Vibnobaji has siad once "An ordinary man closely guards the fruit of his actions so that none else could have it. But thereby he loses infinite gains that could otherwise have been his. The man attached to worldly affairs toils a lot, but gets little in return. On the other hand, a karmayogi receives infinite gains with little effort. The difference in their mental attitudes makes all the difference"

Dear Ganesh,

Agreed...Desire is the main cause of humans being glued in Samsara.

I used the marriage =Samsara...Mistress= Maya analogy to present my views cos that makes understanding more interesting!We already have some member confessing to a Maya affair!LOL

Coming to bachelors being happy...well the ones that can get any girl are usually quite happy.

But yet desire lurks in him in some form or the other..he too wishes at times he could end his bachelorhood and then lands in marriage...one state to the other.

He feels that marriage might be a better option just like a married person might feels an affair is a better option..the grass is always greener on any side purely becos of DESIRE.

Now my next question...Is Maya merely a state of mind?

Last edited:
Maya is a state of mind .

One periodically wants to slip into the fantasy world for pleasure .

It is like a fix that humans enjoy - an alcoholic enjoying his spirits , a smoker getting his puffs as an escape from harsh realities of day to day living.

Maya is a state of mind .

One periodically wants to slip into the fantasy world for pleasure .

It is like a fix that humans enjoy - an alcoholic enjoying his spirits , a smoker getting his puffs as an escape from harsh realities of day to day living.

I agree...see its much easier to understand religious philosophy if we do not link it with spirituality or even science.

Real life situations gives us a better perspective.

I feel religious personalities have always tried to remain "decent" in their explanation but this to a great extent has robbed us humans of a proper understanding.

Even in Vice there can be unseen Virtue!

Dear Renuka,

What people sometimes do not understand is maya is essential to know true self. The experiences that maya give only makes one closer and closer to truth. Some people who see only maya's external form get trapped by it while others who can see through are fortunate.

Maya is just not state of mind. Maya is real. It puts you in a particular state of mind that makes it difficult to see the truth.

To me Maya is an addiction to which human minds are being subjected to. Only very few chosen ones could over come this addiction and they are being called as Sages by us. Human minds are programmed in such a way to get attracted towards material possessions. If Ma is the source, ya could be its proceeds. In other words Maya could be a web woven by the Ma(universal mother- Shakti) . Here Ma is Shakti and ya is the web (proceeds)

To me Maya is an addiction to which human minds are being subjected to. Only very few chosen ones could over come this addiction and they are being called as Sages by us. Human minds are programmed in such a way to get attracted towards material possessions. If Ma is the source, ya could be its proceeds. In other words Maya could be a web woven by the Ma(universal mother- Shakti) . Here Ma is Shakti and ya is the web (proceeds)

I don't feel the human mind is capable of being without some form of addiction.

Sages could be just addicted to spirituality.

OK, but don't you think addiction to spirituality is the last step towards attainment of liberation from Samsara?

Dear Renuka,

I would like to spend more time on this thread but right now I am in the process of redesigning my website and revamping course material and developing a course for personality/mind development. So it is consuming time. I would like to participate more once I am done with all these. In the meantime continue having fun

Dear Renuka,

I would like to spend more time on this thread but right now I am in the process of redesigning my website and revamping course material and developing a course for personality/mind development. So it is consuming time. I would like to participate more once I am done with all these. In the meantime continue having fun

Dear Sravna,

Take your time...actually this thread of mine is just for fun!LOL

OMG!! I am a good boy remaining unspoilt. I am blushing and my cheecks are turning crimson. What an interpretation. LOL

Why crimson? We are being spiritual here..it should be saffron!

Rang De Tu Mohe Gerua!

Holi is around the corner.
Someones wish for crimson can be fulfilled.

It is a beautiful colour even on the cheeks of diehard brahmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back