• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Akshaya thrithiyai

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgopalan

Akshaya thruthiyai falls on 16-5-2010 .On that day we have to call 6 vadhyars (prohits) to our house and provide them with food and dhakshina and we have to give them curd rice parcel with mango pickles in a white towal . (now a days we can give them in plastic container.) In olden days this was done . but now a days no body is doing this. This year as it falls on Sunday we Tamilbrahmins .com people may start this. Samarathanai samayal with vadai and payasam. Neer more and panagam may be given.

The word Akshaya means ‘that which never diminishes’ and the day is ideal for beginning new ventures as it is believed that all investments on this day appreciates.Akshay Tritiya is observed on the third day of Shukla Paksha (waxing phase of moon) in Vaishakh Month.

It is believed that the sun and the moon are most radiant and best placed on the day. Therefore it is one of the most popular dates in Hindu calendar for marriages, for beginning new ventures, for investing and for purchasing valuables like gold and diamond.

Parashuram Jayanti is also observed on Akshaya Tritiya day. There are numerous legends associated with Akshaya Tritiya; most popular is that of Sudama or Kuchela visiting Lord Krishna in Dwarka with a handful of beaten rice (poha or aval).

Another legend suggests that the Pandavas received the Akshaya Pathram (bowl) from Lord Krishna (in the Mahabharata) on this day.

It is also believed that Sage Vyasa began the composition of Mahabharata on the day.

Lord Vishnu and his incarnations are worshipped on the day. People also conduct Lakshmi puja on Akshaya Tritiya.

But nowadays, Akshaya Trithiya is associated with gold purchase and many people wait for the day to make investments in gold.

I do not remember Akshaya thrithiyai being observed in my village or my family.

Do you remember? May be 20/30 years back or earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi fplks,
Akhaya thrutheeya more commercial business....we can see a lot of ads
about gold jewellers offering discounts...i saw a lot of ads in hindu paper in chennai...only making more gold rush.....

regards
tbs

During my younger days, my village house use to be very active on Akshya Thiruthiyai day.

Our village agraharam had 65 houses and we use to invite all and offer the following

Sundal, Neermor, Paanagam, Jack fruit, Banana fruit, Hand fan (Visiri) for vaadhyars, Betal nut (Kaalanji) for elders in Thaamarai Ilai.

It will be a full day activity involving lot of preparations.

This year we have revived the whole thing in our village Perumal temple

All the best

During my younger days, my village house use to be very active on Akshya Thiruthiyai day.

Our village agraharam had 65 houses and we use to invite all and offer the following

Sundal, Neermor, Paanagam, Jack fruit, Banana fruit, Hand fan (Visiri) for vaadhyars, Betal nut (Kaalanji) for elders in Thaamarai Ilai.

It will be a full day activity involving lot of preparations.

This year we have revived the whole thing in our village Perumal temple

All the best

rvr

your village is so blessed to have punya athmas like you to foster akshaya thrithiyai,so ever effulgent happiness is there.

i fully agree with tbs. Akshya Thirthai has become so popular only after some enterprising jewellers made it out to be a money spinning advt. to fill their cash chest.

Last edited:
Annadhaanam to poor people in Temples, Sabhas, orphanage and in any other way is considered to be the best activity on Akshaya Thiruthiyai.

I have started doing this for the last 2 years. I suggested my parents in Chennai to co-ordinate with Ragavendra Temple/Trust near our home in Saligramam to carry out Annadhaanam.

It was a great pleasure for my parents to perform aaraadhanai to Narasimhar Swamy & Regavendra in the temple followed by Annadhaanam in grand scale including Neer Moru and Paanagam and dakshinai to all Archagars of the temple.

Such activities on Akshaya Thiruthiyai, I believe would be the best dedication to GOD and to receive his blessings for the whole family.

Annadhaanam to poor people in Temples, Sabhas, orphanage and in any other way is considered to be the best activity on Akshaya Thiruthiyai.

I have started doing this for the last 2 years. I suggested my parents in Chennai to co-ordinate with Ragavendra Temple/Trust near our home in Saligramam to carry out Annadhaanam.

It was a great pleasure for my parents to perform aaraadhanai to Narasimhar Swamy & Regavendra in the temple followed by Annadhaanam in grand scale including Neer Moru and Paanagam and dakshinai to all Archagars of the temple.

Such activities on Akshaya Thiruthiyai, I believe would be the best dedication to GOD and to receive his blessings for the whole family.

ravi

so nice gesture,lucky folks to have neer more,pannagam,thayir sadam,maanga thokkuwith prayer to lord...multiples of never ending goodness follows..3 rd phase of waxing moon

Nowadays the term 'Akshaya Thrithiyai' has attained popularity.
People flock to the jewellery shops to buy gold.
It is believed that people should buy gold on that day.
It would make people have access to gold all throughout.
Is Akshaya Thrithiyai only meant for buying gold?
In my opinion, this has actually become a scam promoted by vested
interest groups.
There should be something more to Akshaya Thrithiyai.
We should see what it is.
Kind Regards

All these jewellery shop owners created this and make use for their bussiness.

I never heard about this few years back...

It is believed that on the day of Akshaya Thritiyai, any auspicious activities carried out, would bring happiness and prosperity in abundance for ever like "Akshaya Paathram".

The best activity on that day is to do some charity.

When something is to think for oneself, buying new products on that day is considered to be auspicious. Since Gold is precious and a prestigious product, commercial agencies could lure the public and could convenience them to purchase Gold / Diamond or any jewelry on that day.

If we think about buying jewelry on the day of Akshaya Thrithiyai, buying Platinum jewelry is considered to be the most auspicious one. Platinum is much expensive than Gold and Diamond. Buying Platinum would cost twice the price of an 18kt. gold jewelry.

Astrologically it is believed that every metal, including Gold and previous stones has association with some planet. Couple of years before in a TV program, I could come to know that Platinum, alloyed with two metals (could not remember the combination), in metallic color represent Budhan & Sukkaran (Mercury & Venus).

Budhan/Mercury represents our thoughts, ideas and communication.

Sukkaran/Venus represents social, relationship and aesthetic needs.

When Mercury and Venus joins or aspect favorably each other, a person would be considered having blessings of Maha Vishnu (Budhan) and Maha Lakshmi (Venus) and we all can figure out as what the best skills, qualities and fortunes one will have.

Rich people who can afford to by Platinum, prefers to buy Platinum jewelry on the day of Akshaya Thrithiyai.

Through one of my cousins I came to know that a small Vinayagar idol made of Platinum is available in the market. Keeping Vinayagar idol made of Platinum at home and worshiping, is considered to bring peace, happiness and prosperity ever in addition to eliminating obstacles and warding off evils.

Nowadays the term 'Akshaya Thrithiyai' has attained popularity.
People flock to the jewellery shops to buy gold.
It is believed that people should buy gold on that day.
It would make people have access to gold all throughout.
Is Akshaya Thrithiyai only meant for buying gold?
In my opinion, this has actually become a scam promoted by vested
interest groups.
There should be something more to Akshaya Thrithiyai.
We should see what it is.
Kind Regards

drs,

there was no akshaya when i was growing up. but then there was not much money inthe society to throw around, unlike today.

i think it is a big marketing campaign, very successful, to lure the ordinary folks to the jewellery shops in the otherwise lean summer months.

as long as people are not coerced or duped into spending money, i think it is ok. still the wise ones would rather stand by and watch the fun.

It is believed that on the day of Akshaya Thritiyai, any auspicious activities carried out, would bring happiness and prosperity in abundance for ever like "Akshaya Paathram".

Yes it is true that, the akshaya thritiya will get back in multiple but that is not commercially instead it is devinity / punya. It is highlighted this day as aspicious considering people can spend little amount of their money for the charity / welfare of the society. But the same was misleaded by the Jewellery vendors to get their business & most of the human beings are selfish they buy for themself instead of donating it to the needy.

Pranam,

jewellers too have to survive by playing the sentiments on public,otherwise our poor vaishyas aka business community will be dead.money shud circulate constantly,then only economy will boom.

jewellers too have to survive by playing the sentiments on public,otherwise our poor vaishyas aka business community will be dead.money shud circulate constantly,then only economy will boom.

hey nachi..u know Ramakrishna Paramahansa had said Kanchan comes with Kamini..
So have to stay away from both..

The best is to look for swarna in our thought,word and deeds like how Sathya Sai Baba says "Bhangaru" in Telegu...

hey nachi..u know Ramakrishna Paramahansa had said Kanchan comes with Kamini..
So have to stay away from both..

The best is to look for swarna in our thought,word and deeds like how Sathya Sai Baba says "Bhangaru" in Telegu...

renu

our religion cares for all communities.by playing the sentiments of gold,as a status symbol,the mining industry is promoted,thereby giving jobs to millions of people.the gold metal is then transformed into intricate forms of jewellery,which when adorned on a being,displays beauty.to someone its a way of appreciating love.to make designs,jobs are provided for people.as sai baba say's bhangaru,it's the value of richness of gold,which has been given a status symbol worn by extremely worthy people.yellow color is associated with 3,who is guru,remover of darkness or ignorance.in essence gold is just a prop,to make someone feel honored becoz society made it so.the properties are similiar to silver,yet gold as a standard reigns supreme.baba gives gifts as visiting card of his presence,mosly rings,chains...which are already done and kept in sai stores,fro where he transport's with his action's...so akshaya thrithiya displays abundance of happiness...a spiritual person can acquire bangaru or gold like status from god.may 16 is popular version of a calendar chosen date...if dec 21 st is chosen as a start of a new year,it's already over...that is akshaya thrithiya

renu

our religion cares for all communities.by playing the sentiments of gold,as a status symbol,the mining industry is promoted,thereby giving jobs to millions of people.the gold metal is then transformed into intricate forms of jewellery,which when adorned on a being,displays beauty.to someone its a way of appreciating love.to make designs,jobs are provided for people.as sai baba say's bhangaru,it's the value of richness of gold,which has been given a status symbol worn by extremely worthy people.yellow color is associated with 3,who is guru,remover of darkness or ignorance.in essence gold is just a prop,to make someone feel honored becoz society made it so.the properties are similiar to silver,yet gold as a standard reigns supreme.baba gives gifts as visiting card of his presence,mosly rings,chains...which are already done and kept in sai stores,fro where he transport's with his action's...so akshaya thrithiya displays abundance of happiness...a spiritual person can acquire bangaru or gold like status from god.may 16 is popular version of a calendar chosen date...if dec 21 st is chosen as a start of a new year,it's already over...that is akshaya thrithiya

Hey nachi...

what cock are you talking?

Baba does not transport ready made rings and chains from Sai stores....Have you seen a materialized pendant?
My dad was given one by Baba..you cant find it anywhere..

The act of materilization is a process where the five basic elements are captured and formatted with divine energy to form whatever one wants at will..even highly developed Yogis can do this..

When Baba brings out the Lingam...it is first in a liquid state and then it soldifies..
I have felt freshly materialized Vibuthi..Its really Hot..
Bringing togather 5 elements generates heat...

renu
Hey nachi...

what cock are you talking?

do you think,i shud write hen?

Baba does not transport ready made rings and chains from Sai stores....Have you seen a materialized pendant?
My dad was given one by Baba..you cant find it anywhere..

it is readymade by sai baba and kept in his sai store.and he transports it to his palm by a wave of his action.as far as i know,sai baba gives rings,chains,vibhuthi using his hands..unless you have been recepient of personal interviews which will remain personal.

The act of materilization is a process where the five basic elements are captured and formatted with divine energy to form whatever one wants at will..even highly developed Yogis can do this..

i think,you are explaining something well.Thank you.

When Baba brings out the Lingam...it is first in a liquid state and then it soldifies..
I have felt freshly materialized Vibuthi..Its really Hot..
Bringing togather 5 elements generates heat...

Very well explained.Obviously gold has to be liquefied first,moulded into a lingam shape,then brought out from the stomach via oesaphagus to mouth,and plop it for viewing.

Ash is obtained usually from agni.Udi was kept burning by Sai Baba,and ash is still distributed for everyone,maybe it's the sai store for ash distribution

renu,how swami does things,i don't know and even if iknow,i wont tell,unless swami tells me to tell.i love him - period.she is my mother and he is my father.Shiva-Shakthi swaroopam shivoham shivoham.

Dear nachi...

Cock goes with bull..so its cock and bull..ha ha ha
that portion you say about Baba transporting it from his own store..i still say its Cock you are talking Nachi...

Last edited:
Dear nachi...

Cock goes with bull..so its cock and bull..ha ha ha
that portion you say about Baba transporting it from his own store..i still say its Cock you are talking Nachi...

renu

wonder what goes with hen and cow?:noidea:

see,when i write transport,from thin air,the transportation occurs,for which you use 'iccha shakth' from sai baba to materialise, a siddhic feat like siddhars..devotees like me call it sai store.well i think you are talking hen renu:D

To C.Ravi, your wonderful idea of annathanam to the needy poor on that day. The telugu business community added another mooda nambikai for invest in gold like brakeing Bumpkin at the road on Ammavasai day, this businness tricks makes people fools.All this happens only in Dravidan Rules.and only at tamilnadu. s.r.k.

In continuation to Iyer Ram....
According to the Puranas, the day also marks the beginning of Treta Yuga. On this day, Veda Vyasa began the composition of the Mahabharata. The main puja and prayers on this day are dedicated to God Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. Therefore, one can do a simple Vishnu puja in the morning with tulsi leaves and flowers. Some people also perform an elaborate Lakshmi puja or Lakshmi kubera homa.
AKSHAYA Tritiya is one of the most auspicious days in the Hindu calendar and is considered ideal for new beginning and investment. One of the most important legends associated with observing Akshaya Tritiya is that of Sri Krishna and Kuchela. Another significant mythology is that of the Pandavas receiving the Akshay Patra from Krishna. Interestingly, Sri Krishna plays an important part in the stories associated with Tritiya.

Every moment is auspicious on the Akshaya Tritiya day, which falls on the third day of the bright half of Hindu month Vaishakh. Akshaya in Sanskrit means that which never diminishes. It is also the birthday of Parashuram, Sri Vishnu’s sixth incarnation. Now, Akshaya Tritiya has become the "Hindu gold rush" day.

Astrologically, it is believed that the sun and the moon are most radiant and best placed on the Akshaya Tritiya day. Many devout Hindus choose the day to conduct auspicious functions. There is no need to select a muhurat on this day as the entire day is devoid of malefic influences. Large number of marriages and several new beginnings take place on the day.

In the most famous story associated with Akshaya Tritiya, Kuchela, a poor Brahmin and schoolmate of Sri Krishna, visited Sri Krishna with the intention of asking some financial favour. Kuchela, also known as Sudama, carried with him a handful of poha or aval (beaten rice). On reaching the palace of Sri Krishna at Dwarka, Kuchela was ashamed to give poha to Sri Krishna.

But the ever-playful Sri Krishna noticed the small bag in the hand of his schoolmate and soon grabbed it and ate a handful of poha. Kuchela could not believe his eyes, Sri Krishna, the king, eating his poha.

It is said "Atithi devo bhava" (Guests are equal to God) and Shi Krishna treated Kuchela like a God. The poor Brahmin was so overwhelmed by the love shown by Sri Krishna that he forgot to ask for financial help and returned home empty handed.

On reaching his village Sudama could not find his old hut. Instead his hut was replaced by a palace. His wife and children were wearing good clothes and everything that was old and worn out was replaced with new one.

It didn’t take long for Kuchela to realise that all this was the leela of the ever-smiling Sri Krishna. The day Kuchela met Sri Krishna is hence observed as Akshaya Tritiya.

Another legend happened in the Mahabharata. The Pandavas received the Akshaya Patram (bowl) from Sri Krishna on this day. The Akshaya Patram provided unlimited food for the Pandavas during their exile. Due to this reason, people believe that anything that is acquired on this day will be replenished. Therefore, people conduct special puja for Goddess Lakshmi and buy new gold and silver ornaments and invest money in shares and real estate.

According to the Puranas, the day also marks the beginning of Treta Yuga. On this day, Veda Vyasa began the composition of the Mahabharata. The main puja and prayers on this day are dedicated to God Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. Therefore, one can do a simple Vishnu puja in the morning with tulsi leaves and flowers. Some people also perform an elaborate Lakshmi puja or Lakshmi kubera homa.

Annadanam -offering food to the poor-is considered to be the greatest thing one can do on this day. Hindus believe there is no danam greater than annadanam.

Akshaya Tritiya, true to our rich Hindu tradition, is an auspicious day to invite Goddess Lakshmi into our homes and take Her blessings for everlasting wealth and prosperity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back