• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Age criteria to learn carnatic music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri NatesanJi,

It really depends on the child I feel. Is he showing any interest in Carnatic music?. Both me and my sister were started on Carnatic music at around 5 and while she picked it easily and enjoyed it, i hated it for many many years and found going for lessons a chore. It took me many years to appreciate and enjoy my music lessons.

Dear Friends

My son is 4.5 years old. My wife is very interested in sending him to musical class.

Can I know what will be the exact age in which a children can be sent for musical classes and is there any general age criteria fixed by our elders.

Regards.

Natesan

Dear Sir,

I am only formally trained in western music and not Carnatic music but enjoy singing something I picked up since childhood singing bhajans since the age of 8.

I just want to let you know something, at the age of 4.5 a childs attention span can be quite short and a fully formal class can be boring and a childs interest might not develop.
At this age music is best introduced as a play session.
Get a simple music instrument eg a child keyboard and let him play on it to discover music on his own.

Better a choose a teacher who has a seperate class for kids less than 6 years instead of one who teaches all ages togather.
Better choose a teacher who concentrates on developing music instead of preparing children for exams.
I remember my piano teacher used to focus more on exams and that really took away the beauty of music.

Play songs at home simple carnatic ones with catchy tunes eg western notes one have catchy tunes eg Vara leela gana lola, Sarasa nethra by Thiagarajan are very catchy and may capture a childs interest.

Also sing to your child.Sing bhajans at night as a lullaby(I used to do that when my child was a baby).
I still sing to him now. He is 9 years and enjoys his Carnatic music vocal classes and also his piano classes.

Let children listen on & off to film songs too( no harm) to instill creativity and variety.

One more important point I want to stress on is do not compare and contrast childrens ability and capability.
Asians excel in comparing and contrasting their childrens ability.
Let children develop their talent on their own.
Children are like flowers which will bloom when environment is condusive.
Too much water and sunshine will just fade a flower.

Age is not really a major criteria.

You know Prince Rama Varma of Royal Family Kerala started learning Carnatic Music only as a teenager and you should listen to his concert songs. He is really great.

Last edited:
One more important point I want to stress on is do not compare and contrast childrens ability and capability.

The above words are very right. But hardly parents restrain from comparing and allow natural blossoming . One must inculcate this. very very essential to upbring a child.

Dear Renuji,

Thanks a lot.:crazy:

Dear Sir,

I am only formally trained in western music and not Carnatic music but enjoy singing something I picked up since childhood singing bhajans since the age of 8.

I just want to let you know something, at the age of 4.5 a childs attention span can be quite short and a fully formal class can be boring and a childs interest might not develop.
At this age music is best introduced as a play session.
Get a simple music instrument eg a child keyboard and let him play on it to discover music on his own.

Better a choose a teacher who has a seperate class for kids less than 6 years instead of one who teaches all ages togather.
Better choose a teacher who concentrates on developing music instead of preparing children for exams.
I remember my piano teacher used to focus more on exams and that really took away the beauty of music.

Play songs at home simple carnatic ones with catchy tunes eg western notes one have catchy tunes eg Vara leela gana lola, Sarasa nethra by Thiagarajan are very catchy and may capture a childs interest.

Also sing to your child.Sing bhajans at night as a lullaby(I used to do that when my child was a baby).
I still sing to him now. He is 9 years and enjoys his Carnatic music vocal classes and also his piano classes.

Let children listen on & off to film songs too( no harm) to instill creativity and variety.

Age is not really a major criteria.

You know Prince Rama Varma of Royal Family Kerala started learning Carnatic Music only as a teenager and you should listen to his concert songs. He is really great.

Dear Amalaji,

Sri NatesanJi,

It really depends on the child I feel. Is he showing any interest in Carnatic music?. Both me and my sister were started on Carnatic music at around 5 and while she picked it easily and enjoyed it, i hated it for many many years and found going for lessons a chore. It took me many years to appreciate and enjoy my music lessons.

Dear Sundaramji,

The above words are very right. But hardly parents restrain from comparing and allow natural blossoming . One must inculcate this. very very essential to upbring a child.

Dear Natesan ji

I think this is the apt age to learn music. I started learning at the age of 3. But choose a flexi master, thats the important thing. Also one main thing is going traditional way (I.e., saralivarisai, jandavarisai, alankaram, geetham, varnam, swarajithi, and keerthanam) is OK. but to fascinate the child songs are very essential. So, make sure with the teacher whether he will also teach some small songs in between this traditional teaching. Then absolutely this is OK. My best wishes to your son...

Pranams

Dear Sundaramji,

Dear Amalaji,

Dear Renuji,

natesan,

i am quite sure you meant the above saluations with all sincerety.

but just to let you know, for info purpose only, and no mal intentions meant, that

both your quote ' Thanks a lot mentioned in this dead pan format, along with the symbol which stands for craziness :crazy: could be read by someone like me, as 'Natesan thinks all these suggestions are absurd coming from really nutty folks,' to put it mildly.

ofcourse, i am confident that you did not mean it this way, in which case, this is a cause for a very hilarious chuckle or two. !!!

thank you.

Last edited:
Pranams,

The best age for children to start music classes will be between 5 and 10 . Even if they dont have any liking or any special appreciation for music , it would be a better option to expose children to music. Musical capabilities are not the same for all children , so they will slowly learn to appreciate music . More than classes , it will help if they are made to listen to concerts from an young age .

I am a classical vocalist . I started learning at the age 5 . It gives me immense peace and happiness while practising music or performing concerts . I usually take my 7 years old child to most of the concerts I perform or I go to listento . Even though he is mostly playing or sleeping during concerts , the sub conscious mind of the child is still active .

So please start early for your child.

Sridhar Nilakantan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back