• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

After this body - What happens? Or After death of the body - what next

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

This thread is strictly for Hindus who believe in Karma and rebirth.

Swami Sivananda

"Death is separation of the soul from the physical body. Death becomes the starting point of a new life. Death merely opens the door to a higher and fuller form of life. Birth and death are jugglery of maya. He who is born begins to die. He who dies begins to live. Life is death and death is life. No one comes, no one goes. Brahmn or the eternal alone exists."

"Death is not the end of life. It is merely cessation of individuality. Life flows on to achieve the universal till it merges in the eternal."

Swami Sivananda on the Concept of Death in Hinduism ~ Hindu Blog

So is there a period between one body and next, if so why?

Swami Sivananda

"Death is separation of the soul from the physical body. 'Death becomes the starting point of a new life. Death merely opens the door to a higher and fuller form of life. Birth and death are jugglery of maya.

"Death is not the end of life. It is merely cessation of individuality. Life flows on to achieve the universal till it merges in the eternal."

Death is only a 'physical'/perceptible separation of the soul from the physical body, even otherwise, Soul/Self is distinguishable from the body (for the jnAnis). We know from scriptures that Self is the substrate (being) for the knowledge/experience. Self is the bearer of individuality. Atma/Self is self-luminous, for jnAnis - only Self is the subject, own body (knowledge/mind/senses) are also objects like the external materials.

Birth and death are not jugglery of maya. They are just the continuance of one's progress (upward or downward), and the bodies/environments are just the new situations to suit such progress. Maya has no role over one's freewill/karma and is neutral to the justice of the Lord. So, Maya should only be the power of the objects/senses, that instigates one to loose sense/mind/intellect control.

'He who is born begins to die. He who dies begins to live. '
Gita has precise words , " For, death is certain for the born, and re-birth is certain for the dead; therefore you should not feel grief for what is inevitable".

He who dies, 'may' begin to live in another body (depending on the availability*). But, Atman/Self always exists by and for itself.

"Life is death and death is life."
"No one comes, no one goes. Brahmn or the eternal alone exists "
Then the one died must be of Brahman's soul ;), how about other 7 billion Brahma' jivas still living? Isn't 'Brahman alone exits', a contradiction to the population count and how about the other species and how about the spewing volcanic mountains?? Katha Upa, has diff. take on this - 'nithyAnAm bahunam cetanAnAm'- there are many, eternal jivas/sentients.

Last edited:

Acc. to Chandogya Upa, at death, the jiva carries a bhUta-shukshma (the 5 elements, indriyas and prana).

There are 2 mArgams/paths - archirArdi (for moksha) and dhUmra-marga (for heaven)

In the dhUmra mArga, those who have performed meritorious deeds (yagna, social service) etc, will go to the moon/heavens and enjoy their fruits of good karma. Then they will traverse the path of rains, and then the /seed, then semen, then womb. This is addressed in panca-yagni or panci-karana theory, thus have the sense of mind/intelligence (soma/moon). The soul also gets stuck with the jiva in the seed, as it was with the clouds, rain etc. It also has to wait for someone to eat the seed/grain and get conceived.

Other than the two paths, some can be born as animals through eggs, womb or seeds(plants), and may be deprived of higher mind.

"These two paths, the bright and the dark, are said to be eternal. By the former one, man goes to the plane of no-return. by the other, he returns again." Gita 8.26

Last edited:
Govindaji,
Thanks for your post.
"No one comes, no one goes. Brahmn or the eternal alone exists " then the one died must be of Brahman's soul ;), how about other 7 billion Brahma' jivas still living? Isn't 'Brahman alone exits', a contradiction to the population count and how about the other species and how about the spewing volcanic mountains??

Are you mocking fun of the mahavakya? I am confused.

Brahma Satyam, Jagat Mithya, Jivo Brahmaiva naparah
This sutra means that 'every jiva - the apparent limited & finite entity is basically the infinite & limitless Brahman, and nothing else. The truth & essence of an individual is the truth & essence of this whole world or rather God. Every Jiva is basically God himself wearing a cloak of limited equipments, and moreover, identified with ones equipment he lives a limited & transient life. It is basically a case of non-apprehension followed by miss-apprehension of the truth of oneself

Also in Gita chapter 2-20

na jayate mriyate va kadacin
nayam bhutva bhavita va na bhuyah
ajo nityah sasvato ’yam purano
na hanyate hanyamane sarire
"For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain."

In Gita chapter2-22
vasamsi jirnani yatha vihaya
navani grhnati naro ’parani
tatha sarirani vihaya jirnany
anyani samyati navani dehi
"As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones."

Govindaji,
Thanks for your post.
Are you mocking fun of the mahavakya? I am confused.

Every Jiva is basically God himself wearing a cloak of limited equipments, and moreover, identified with ones equipment he lives a limited & transient life.

Those Gita quotes are o.k, but 2.12 & 2.40 talks of 'Existence/eternality' of various selves, incl. Brahman.
'There never was a time when I did not exist, nor you or any kings. The self in the body is eternal, so in the case of all the selves.'

Brahman is the Creator/Controller/Witness/Lord/Not bound by karma:

Controlling the Prakriti (Maya), which is my own, I send forth again and again all this multitude of beings, helpless under the sway of Prakriti. (9.8)

I am the seat of origin and dissolution, the Lord, witness, the abode/refuge. (9.18)

I know all beings, O Arjuna, past , present and those to come (7.26) - How come He knows all, when covered by ignorance ? He addresses Him as separate from all beings.

Jiva is Controlled/Experiencer/Bound by karma/devotee:

But these actionsdo not bind Me, O Arjuna, for I remain detached from them like one unconcerned. (9.9)

If Brahma is not affected by anything of material/prakriti/maya, where is that Brahman experiencing our forms of jivas??

If Jiva is non-different from Brahman why would Krishna say this?

Thus equipped in mind with the Yoga of renunciation, you will free from the bonds of karma, both good and bad. Thus liberated, you will come to Me.

"He who with faith worships Me, whose inmost self is fixed in Me, I consider him as the greatest of the Yogins". 6.47

Last edited:

Dear Prasad ji,

Ok lets look at your question this way..is there a period between one body and next?
Unless you mean Physical body here..only then there is a period between one physical body and the next physical body.

Upon death we are in our Subtle body(Sukshma Shareera) and we still have our Causal body(Karaana Shareera) too..hence we are always "emobodied" in one way or the other.

Now coming to your question about the period between one Physical body and the other Physical body...if there is no period that means we will not "die" as in leaving our mortal coil and as far as I know

Chapter 2, verse 27
jatasya hi dhruvo mrtyur dhruvam janma mrtasya ca
tasmad apariharye'rthe na tvam socitum arhasi

Translation
For one who has taken birth, death is certain and for one who has died, birth is certain. Therefore in an inevitable situation understanding should prevail.

therefore death for the physical coil is inevitable and rebirth in a physical coil is also inevitable.

Now coming to as why there is a time period from one physical body to the other..from what I have read is certain Karmas can only be worked out in the Physical plane (Bhu Loka) and certain Karmas can only be worked out in the Subtle plane(various Lokas like Pitr Loka,Devalokas etc)..the reason to this I really dont know why..

Last edited:
Dear sister Renu,

It is believed that the cases of folks who remember their purva janma details because they took their rebirths very soon after their deaths, so the memory was more or less intact. I read it somewhere.

Regards,
KRS

Dear sister Renu,

It is believed that the cases of folks who remember their purva janma details because they took their rebirths very soon after their deaths, so the memory was more or less intact. I read it somewhere.

Regards,
KRS

Yes I have read that too and it always amazes me that why we normal humans beings cant really tap into the stored data in our Chitta portion of the Antakarana and there must be some barrier like how the Brain has a Blood Brain Barrier to filter and protect it from harmful substances and particles.

I always wondered if the 3 Granthis in the Subtle Body act as a Barrier for us to tap into the past birth memories..
Brahma Granthi related to the the physical body.
Vishnu Granthi related to the the astral body
Rudra Granthi related to the causal body....and once the Kundalini ascends to the Rudra Granthi and beyond may be memory of past births could be got.

Another possibility is for those who are able to remember their past births,,they could have developed yogic powers from their previous births which was not completed and that gave rise to an unstable Kundalini that moves back forth causing turbulent mind and emotions and occasional tapping into the Chitta.

Most of them who remember their past births are highly emotionally unstable too from the cases that were known so far.

Swami Sivananda

"Death is separation of the soul from the physical body. Death becomes the starting point of a new life. Death merely opens the door to a higher and fuller form of life. Birth and death are jugglery of maya. He who is born begins to die. He who dies begins to live. Life is death and death is life. No one comes, no one goes. Brahmn or the eternal alone exists."

Shri prasad sir,

As you well know, nobody has seen beyond death. All our pile of knowledge or information about rebirth is only guesswork. But after reading many kinds of books by various learned people including Sanyasis, I believe the interval between death and the so-called rebirth is because whatever the powers be, which control these aspects, have to find out an exact birth which fits the Karma to be experienced outstanding (both good and evil) at the end of the last birth. There is one more complication because, somewhat like interest on a bank loan, the jeeva will amass karma of its own accord, (freewill or vAsanas, as you may like to call), during this new birth also and even the high powers which guide this universe of births, deaths and rebirths cannot gauge correctly as to how this new-person will act.

So, generally, any life is classified into one of three major categories:

1. Suffer the accumulated evil karmas at the beginning, learn good lessons from those sufferings and then experience the good effects of all the accumulated punya karmas during the latter stages of life.

2. Enjoy as much as is possible as a result of the sccumulated good karmas in the first half of life, and then suffer the rest till death, learning perhaps, lessons in detachment in the process.

3. Have a life of continuous mix of good and bad so that it is like heating iron, hammering it and then suddenly cooling - something like tempering at short intervals.

Most humans fall under the third category because they are very much low in their path to spriritual progress.

This is what I heard from an elderly gentleman well-versed in hindu scriptures and a brahmanan by birth and practice. He is no more.

Shri prasad sir,

As you well know, nobody has seen beyond death. All our pile of knowledge or information about rebirth is only guesswork. But after reading many kinds of books by various learned people including Sanyasis, I believe the interval between death and the so-called rebirth is because whatever the powers be, which control these aspects, have to find out an exact birth which fits the Karma to be experienced outstanding (both good and evil) at the end of the last birth. There is one more complication because, somewhat like interest on a bank loan, the jeeva will amass karma of its own accord, (freewill or vAsanas, as you may like to call), during this new birth also and even the high powers which guide this universe of births, deaths and rebirths cannot gauge correctly as to how this new-person will act.

So, generally, any life is classified into one of three major categories:

1. Suffer the accumulated evil karmas at the beginning, learn good lessons from those sufferings and then experience the good effects of all the accumulated punya karmas during the latter stages of life.

2. Enjoy as much as is possible as a result of the sccumulated good karmas in the first half of life, and then suffer the rest till death, learning perhaps, lessons in detachment in the process.

3. Have a life of continuous mix of good and bad so that it is like heating iron, hammering it and then suddenly cooling - something like tempering at short intervals.

Most humans fall under the third category because they are very much low in their path to spriritual progress.

This is what I heard from an elderly gentleman well-versed in hindu scriptures and a brahmanan by birth and practice. He is no more.

Nice explanation.

whatever the powers be, which control these aspects, have to find out an exact birth which fits the Karma to be experienced outstanding (both good and evil) at the end of the last birth. There is one more complication because, somewhat like interest on a bank loan, the jeeva will amass karma of its own accord, (freewill or vAsanas, as you may like to call), during this new birth also and even the high powers which guide this universe of births, deaths and rebirths cannot gauge correctly as to how this new-person will act.

My contention may appear to be flippant, but it is not.
Why do they not upgrade to a faster processor, so the balance is tallied and ready all the time.

Nice explanation.

Why do they not upgrade to a faster processor, so the balance is tallied and ready all the time.

Sir,

Another bit of information or knowledge that I have received is that, if one goes strictly according to advaita, the jeevAtma cannot exist without the support of a physical body and has, therefore, to go back immediately after death of the person, and merge into the Parabrahman. (This looks like everyone gets mukti after each death but it is not so; it is only a temporary going back but the conscious mind and intellect of the human, do not experience it. In fact, according to Sankara, a similar pralaya (or merging) happens in the "suShupti" stage of sleep very often but none of us ordinary people realize it.

The karmas of the deceased person hover about as "karma Sareera" or sometimes also called "piNDa sareera" because it has no features except an ovoid or ellipsoid shape and is seen in a nebulous state by some people with peculiarities in their nervous system (wise people say, pregnant women, epilepsy patients, people suffering from brain disorders like dementia, psychological conditions, and even ordinary people subjected to extreme heightened fear - like walking near cemeteries, burning ghats, etc. - will have this ability, but others may not agree that these people have seen such "Ghosts".). These karma sarreras are the ones which are required to be put into a next birth; some jeevAtma will be the carrier frequency or medium for this second birth of the karma sareera. But this if said, will make people think that "anyway, I (sarma-61) will not be suffering for my karma in the next birth, so, what the heck, let me enjoy this life and do whatever pleases me." and like that. In fact even under the present Karma theory, I have seen many young people say similar arguments (even if I do pApam, it will not be I who will suffer for it in the next birth; it will be some xyz who will not have any idea what or who he/she was in the previous birth. So, why bother? Let that person suffer, etc.)

Therefore, our wise ancient sages said that we will be reborn and suffer, etc., so that at least some sense of responsible behaviour could be instilled in the human mind.

Since the task is to fit the Karma sareera into an appropriately fit next birth, it takes time; secondly, some swamijis have said that the jeevAtma is given adequate time to equip itself with traits required to ford its next birth successfully and come back with a better Karma Balance Sheet (though, on actual birth, much of these lessons are forgotten and the vAsanas of the karma sareera take over once again and delude the man.) and this preparation also takes time.

In one place I remember having read that an ordinary brahmin who does not stray beyond the usual temptations for wealth and comforts, will come back after 100 or 200 earth years only; that is why we do pitru karmas for 3 generations only, assuming that those before them must have been reborn somewhere.

Yes I have read that too and it always amazes me that why we normal humans beings cant really tap into the stored data in our Chitta portion of the Antakarana and there must be some barrier like how the Brain has a Blood Brain Barrier to filter and protect it from harmful substances and particles.

I always wondered if the 3 Granthis in the Subtle Body act as a Barrier for us to tap into the past birth memories..
Brahma Granthi related to the the physical body.
Vishnu Granthi related to the the astral body
Rudra Granthi related to the causal body....and once the Kundalini ascends to the Rudra Granthi and beyond may be memory of past births could be got.

Another possibility is for those who are able to remember their past births,,they could have developed yogic powers from their previous births which was not completed and that gave rise to an unstable Kundalini that moves back forth causing turbulent mind and emotions and occasional tapping into the Chitta.

Most of them who remember their past births are highly emotionally unstable too from the cases that were known so far.

Dear Renuka and others,

I would like to let you guys know that, I have enjoyed watching one interesting program in one TV Channel (don't remember which TV Channel), in Tamil (by tamilian participants) a week before.

It is about how to get onself revealed of one's past life?

Much interesting right??

I tried to google out that perticular episode to provide reference to you guys. But I failed.

It is called "past life therapy". A hypnotist/past life therapy specialist hypnotises a person, who is willing to know his/her past life

Here is the link -

A peek into your past life - Times Of India

"Leap of faith

Simply put, past life regression is a journey a person takes to his or her past life while he or she is hypnotised. It is a journey usually undertaken when one is in search of a spiritual experience or when one wishes to cure an illness - physical or emotional. Practitioners say that memory a powerful touchstone of understanding but sceptics are inclined to dismiss these vivid flashbacks as "false" and imply that they are cleverly prompted. In a predominantly Hindu country like India, the concept of a past life and karma is as ancient and accepted as time itself, and finds mention in the Upanishads and Patanjali's Yogasutra. It needs no televangilisation. But while the belief in the good-and-evil karmic cycle is implicit, the received wisdom also is that one cannot re-enter a life that is over, or have any access to a memorial inheritance that belonged to a different life-body in a different time frame."

----------------------------

The another link -

Past life TV show proves huge hit in India - Channel 4 News

Yes through regression therapy, remembering past life/lives has been made possible.
I read in the "autobiography of a Yogi" by "Paramahamsa Yogananda" that when a person dies, he does go to this plane or loka, to wait for his rebirth into Bu loka, according to his karma palan he will be reborn and given a chance to pay his debts and this is a plane where everything is so magical, it is a world beyond imagination according to the book..and at this place the soul can wait and this was revealed to him by his master, after he passed on. I want to read more on that if possible, from what I have read, a soul chooses its mother and also the time when it can enter Bu loka. Like someone said that the soul can wait for three generations to be reborn, it is possible, that we might come as our great grand child.

Sri Prasad,

By the delusion of the pairs of opposite springing from desire and hate, O Arjuna, all beings are deluded as soon as they are born. 7.27

Whichever one seeks to pursue, I make that faith steadfast...7.21 Gita. Thus, one is stuck in the whirlpool of karma, even if he fixes one portion of that.

Thus there is never a tally, by one's own effort. Why?

Know then MAyA to be the Prakriti and the possessor of MAyA to be the great Lord ' Sv. Upa 4.10

He, the Supreme person, is the Real of the real (jivas). [satyasya satyam] Bri Upa 1.2.20 [pg.95 in the link] [The below verse also concurs with this one]

There is nothing higher than Myself, O Arjuna, . The lower prakriti (matter), the higher prakriti (jivas) are strung on Me, as rows of gems on a thread. 7.6,7

For this divine Maya (gunas of Prakriti) of Mine, is hard to overcome. But, those who take refuge in Me alone, shall pass beyond the MAyA. Gita 7.14

All the worlds, down from the realm of Brahma, are subjecto to return, O Arjuna. But on reaching Me, there is no rebirth. 8.16

Those who take refuge in Me, know Me, the nature of their own self and their entire Karma (past life). 7.2

Last edited:
In Vijay TV there is a programme like Neeya Naana, every week i think. Its called Munjenmam. Maybe this is what you're refering to Ravi?

Munjenmam 28.01.12-Vijay Tv Show

Amala dear, I watched the whole episode and it was quite interesting.. some people exude positiveness and the calm and looking at that lady Meera Krishnan I felt that and also no doubt her other janma's have definite co-relation to her present. I have had some experience, that is another discussion.. :)

Dr. Brian Wiess, was able to take his patient to many many births before and today I believe the one who is popular in India is Dr. Newton, who lives in Hyderabad..

Dear Sri C. Ravi Ji,

Here is an article about Dr. Weiss on Reincarnation Regression therapy. He is Jewish, but his practice has convinced him to believe in Reincarnation.
Brian Weiss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is another article on research in to Reincarnation by a serious scientist. You can see how his research is attacked.
Reincarnation research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,
KRS

Shri KRS,

Thank you for providing us the links...

I personally would feel stupid of the skeptic Sam Harris who ridiculously calimed that Stevenson may be "a victim of truly elaborate fraud". Offcourse nothing to suprise much as there may be / are some more such skeptic scientists who would come up with their own version of critique.

Since the task is to fit the Karma sareera into an appropriately fit next birth, it takes time; secondly, some swamijis have said that the jeevAtma is given adequate time to equip itself with traits required to ford its next birth successfully and come back with a better Karma Balance Sheet (though, on actual birth, much of these lessons are forgotten and the vAsanas of the karma sareera take over once again and delude the man.) and this preparation also takes time.

Dear sir,

Thats what I had read too that infact some Jeevatamas who have good karma are further trained and equipped with knowledege in science/arts etc in the astral lokas so that when they are born the quickly develop skill in this fields for the benefit of the world.

So its not only marriages that are made in Heaven but even Scientists are made in Heaven!!LOL

Aiyoo Ravi..now I am scared!!! cos after punch dialogue there are always fight scenes!!!

OH YES!!! But no worries...We all can jointly direct the sequence in good spirit, in such a way that, all ends in pleasure with peace to all...

For why we need to return to Bhuloka in a physical body for certain Karmas..read this..taken from

Why must we return to a physical body?

certain karmas can be resolved only in the physical
world. This is due to the fact that on the refined inner
planes only three or four of the higher chakras are activated; the others are dormant.
For nirvikalpa samadhi, all

seven chakras, as well as the three major energy currents,
have to be functioning to sustain enough kundalini force
to burst through to the Self.

At the right time, the soul is

reborn into a flesh body that will best fulfill its karmic
pattern. In this process, the current astral body—which
is a duplicate of the last physical form—is sloughed off
as a lifeless shell that in due course disintegrates, and a
new astral body develops as the new physical body grows.

This entering into another body is called reincarnation,
“re-occupying the flesh.” Generally, the soul, at the time
of conception, chooses the body he will inhabit but does
not actually enter the womb until the infant body takes
life and begins to move and kick.

During our numerous Earth lives, a remarkable variety of life patterns is experienced. We exist as male and
female, often switching back and forth from life to life
as the nature becomes more harmonized into a person
exhibiting both feminine nurturing and masculine intrepidness.

Therefore, the Hindu knows that the belief in

a single life on Earth, followed by eternal joy or pain is utterly wrong and causes great anxiety, confusion and fear.

Hindus know that all souls reincarnate, take one body
and then another, evolving through experience over long
periods of time. Like the caterpillar’s metamorphosis into
the butterfly, death doesn’t end our existence but frees
us to pursue an even greater development. reincarnation
ceases when dharma has been well performed, earthly
karma is resolved, God is fully realized and moksha, liberation, is attained.

answers compiled from dancing with siva: hinduism’s contemporary catechism and merging with siva: hinduism’s
contemporary metaphysics, by satguru sivaya subramuniyaswami, published by himalayan academy, 107 kaholalele road, kapaa, hawaii 96746 usa. tel: 808–240–3108; fax:
808–822–4351; Minimela.com, The Himalayan Academy eStore

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back