• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

adopted children and weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

folks,

i know for sure, that our heritage permits us to adopt children. it is indeed part of our tradition.

while in the past, adoptions may have been from within the family or from poor brahmins, in the past few decades, i have seen our folks extending the search & find process to include many orphanages.

you may even know some such adoptees.

in the context of such rigidity that we find re matching horoscopes, and sub sub castes, what has been the general society view of marrying an adoptee?

especially a male adoptee? whose blood line we may not know, and whose gothram and what not, is indeed imposed on him, to give him an artificial identity. how do these kids fare in our marriage market from an acceptance viewpoint?

please feel free to input. awaiting the same.

thank you.

interesting topic kunjuppu.bravo.

for a parent,the bhava or feeling is the same regardless whether the child is own blood or union of birth from another male & female.just like anyother child,imo,the child will grow well.Some parents hide the truth about adoption and some dont.there are instances of a very harmonious growth as well as not so harmonious growth.i would like to accept karma bhagyam at individual level.looking forward for views from other tambrahms .

nachi naga.

folks,

i know for sure, that our heritage permits us to adopt children. it is indeed part of our tradition.

while in the past, adoptions may have been from within the family or from poor brahmins, in the past few decades, i have seen our folks extending the search & find process to include many orphanages.

you may even know some such adoptees.

in the context of such rigidity that we find re matching horoscopes, and sub sub castes, what has been the general society view of marrying an adoptee?

especially a male adoptee? whose blood line we may not know, and whose gothram and what not, is indeed imposed on him, to give him an artificial identity. how do these kids fare in our marriage market from an acceptance viewpoint?

please feel free to input. awaiting the same.

thank you.[/QUOTE

Kunjuppu ji,

As you rightly said adoption is an accepted practice in our community. Today I earnestly feel that there is shortage of eligible brides in our community. Why not people who don't have children adopt girl children from other communities.

This will serve two purposes. One shortage of brides in our community is reduced to a great extent and may even be eliminated.

Secondly childless elders will have a daughter atleast now.

I am writing the above purely from my individual point of view and is not reflecting the organisers point of view of Swayamvaram events.

How our sastras view the above adoption? Is there any objection from our sastras point of view?

All the best

I know nothing about shastras about adoption. I am sure there will be many. As far as I know, the adopted child adopts the Gothram of the adopting parents. We are all 'twice born'. The second birth is the adoption. I do not know what happens if the child already had upanayanam completed before the adoption.

There are many instances like that.

Nobody really bothers about these things nowadays. First few days ,those interested i gossip , may talk in hushed tones.If the immediate family and their own close friends are confident and do not give importance to these, it will have a natural ending. By and by nobody will even think of this.The child and parents will continue to be happy and peaceful. The life will go on as usual.

It depends how the adopting parents behave. Any rare inhibitions from any one , if at all present, will vanish in a few years , as adoption will be much prevalent.( In fact I have read that now there are waiting list for adoption ,as legal controls and permissions are more enforced now).

Everything will be alright .

Greetins

hi folks,
according to niti sastra...we can have five fathers..its called
pancha pitaraha...like biological./mantropadesa guru,/
adopted father/father in law/eldest brother(as father) ..
i have seen a boy was adopted after his upanayanam by his
own parents...the boy/girl belongs to adoptive father's gothra/sub
sect... my 2 cents

If sastras doesn't have any problem for adopting children from other castes, why not childless brahmin parents adopt girls from other castes to start with.

It will solve the girls shortage in our community. It will also create a good will in the society.

All the best

such noble thoughts are existing in our community and adoption are happening.many dont advertise it,but queitly go about doing adoption.most adopt children within their own community as far as my sources indicate.brahmins do adopt children parentless brahmin kids.

nachi naga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back