• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A perspective after one year's association with this Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem (with you) seems to me to be that because this Forum has been named as Tamilbrahmins.com, you and a few others like you, have taken it to be an exclusive preserve for tamil brahmins and, that too, within that general category, of persons who subscribe to a certain narrow pov. In truth, this Forum is neither an exclusive preserve of this group (or any other group, for that matter); as the rules framed by Shri Praveen state (and already reproduced by me, but perhaps has not been properly understood by you)—

This website is an open website which means anyone can register and participate. There is no discrimination based on one's religion, caste or place of residence.

Theoretically, or, in principle, therefore, even a Joseph from Ethiopia or a Mohammed from Saudi Arabia may join this forum and make his views - favourable or unfavourable - about Tamil Brahmins known to the readers here

The problem, IMO, is not with Prasad. The problem is - why does a forum that is

A. open to all irrespective of caste, religion or place of residence
B. that allows all topics under the sun to be discussed

be called tamilbrahmins.com.

I think it is a natural question that would arise in anyone's mind.

This forum is neither here nor there.

On one hand, the proclamation that the forum is open to all members irrespective of caste or religion is not very useful as long as the forum retains the title tamilbrahmins.com. The title does not facilitate, only hinders, participation from non-brahmins.

On the other hand, there are many forums and blogs, especially tamil ones, where brahmin bashing is routine. Hence, for the tamil brahmins to come to this forum and find out that this forum named after them is not any different is understandably difficult to digest.

I do not think restricting an internet forum, with emphasis on freedom of speech such as this, to a particular caste or even a religion is ever workable. I think the founder of this forum knows (knew) it very well. After all, how can one prove oneself to be a brahmin in this forum? Even the school transfer certificate does not include individual caste labels - only labels such as OC, FC etc is included.

As a result, a reasonable thing to do is to de-link the general forum from tamilbrahmins.com and operate it as a general forum like "karuthu", a forum founded by political heirs of DMK Supremo and PC.

Last edited:
"As a result, a reasonable thing to do is to de-link the general forum from tamilbrahmins.com and operate it as a general forum like "karuthu", a forum founded by political heirs of DMK Supremo and PC."- post #26.

I disagree.

Probably, Praveen named this site tb.com because he is a TB and he wanted to assemble TBs and Others to debate about issues concerning TBs all over the world.... He also knew that there are all sorts of TBs.. very orthodox, reformist and atheists etc.

I like this site AS IS... General Section must be for anybody and everybody to enter and exit... other Specialized Section may be devoted to specialized topics...

No body should be RESTRICTED to participate in any topic... this FREEDOM is important.

Equally, the Owner or the Administration should remain NEUTRAL on topics of debate... but they are FREE to write posts on the personal whims and fancies on ANY topic of discussion as a private person...

Where's the problem?

hi
now THE PROBLEM IS.................

very soon this thread will be closed.................lol

regards
tbs

கால பைரவன்;98742 said:
...The problem is - why does a forum that is

The problem is what gets taken as Brahmin bashing. I will come to it in a bit.

Praveen has explained several times the reasons behind starting this web site. You may search forum posts by Praveen -- since he does not post a lot it shouldn't be too difficult to find it. In short, as far as I understand, this is a forum for brahmins and others to congregate and discuss issues that are relevant to the "community". In that respect, the site has done wonderfully well. The name was available, Praveen liked it, he got it.

You guys often lob the charge of Brahmin-bashing but have not substantiated it at all. Criticism of varna system, Manu, or support for reservation system is NOT brahmin-bashing. Such criticism hopefully will encourage TBs to develop a more nuanced understanding of the social issues and rise above crass caste-based thinking. This is the exact opposite of Brahmin-bashing, it is great service to Brahmins.

On the other hand, those who promote varna and reinforce the brahmin supremacy with claims like proud to be brahmin, and most importantly make this ridiculous charge of brahmin-bashing for merely making an argument against caste, they are the worst enemies to Brahmins. There is an adage in Tamil, சிரிக்க சிரிக்க பேசுவா மத்தவா, அழ அழச் சொல்லுவா நம்ம மனுஷா. Promoting false pride is true Brahmin-bashing, sugar coated poison pill.

Also, there are 10 times more forums than General Discussions for those who are religiously minded or wish to simply chit-chat or whatever. GD section is for all topics under the sun. There is no compulsion that people must visit GD and read what gets posted. If the pious don't like it they have 10 times more places to visit and can easily avoid GD. Why do people get attracted to GD, what morbid curiosity makes GD irresistible?

Criticism of varna system, Manu, or support for reservation system is NOT brahmin-bashing. Such criticism hopefully will encourage TBs to develop a more nuanced understanding of the social issues and rise above crass caste-based thinking. This is the exact opposite of Brahmin-bashing, it is great service to Brahmins.

Blaming only brahmins for the caste system that existed and that which exists today is brahmin bashing.

Selective quoting from history and distorting history to put such blame on brahmins is brahmin bashing.

Supporting any amount of discrimination of brahmins today and bullying those who question such discrimination is brahmin bashing.

Condemning brahmins wholesale as supremacists is brahmin bashing.

make this ridiculous charge of brahmin-bashing for merely making an argument against caste, they are the worst enemies to Brahmins.

The arguments made here are not against caste system or casteism. The arguments made here are against brahmins. Period. This was the case with TN social revolution movement. This is the case with the so-called reformists of this forum.

Also, there are 10 times more forums than General Discussions for those who are religiously minded or wish to simply chit-chat or whatever. GD section is for all topics under the sun. There is no compulsion that people must visit GD and read what gets posted. If the pious don't like it they have 10 times more places to visit and can easily avoid GD. Why do people get attracted to GD, what morbid curiosity makes GD irresistible?

There are thousand times more forums than tamilbrahmins.com. Why some people come here and indulge in brahmin bashing? Perhaps, it is the same morbid curiosity that attracts religious brahmins to this GD section.

Refer Post#26
Sir it is like men can not join YWCA bit you can not stop a women from joining YMCA.
In the Golf world PGA, women fight to get in, but LPGA is exclusive.
They are equal but 'exalted' LOL

கால பைரவன்;98742 said:

Exactly, some of my NB friends were doubtful about their eligibility to join the site. As I have seen few NBs here, I encouraged them to join. We would need a better name to reflect the Guidelines of the site, else the Title-Name itself is misleading.

I understand that the owner might have had a greater vision or open-mind while opening this forum, but such vision has to change with the popularity of the forum :help:

கால பைரவன்;98742 said:
The problem is - why does a forum that is

Shri Kala Bharavan,

Perhaps the name "tamilbrahmins.com" is ideally indicative of a community that is curious to know

01) Where the community people stand?
02) Who are these community people?
03) Where are they moving towards?
04) What are they thinking and concluding about their community?
05) What exactly is the truth about the community people's interactions between themsleves?
06) What is the tolerance level of the community people?
08) What the community people consider among themselves?
09) Whether the community can accept total withdrawal of their tradition and culture?
10) Whether the community would prefer to keep it's identity for future generation?
11) Whether the whole of the community people irrespective of their location are willing to sustain modern Brahminsm?
12) How the community is prepared to accept changes and upto what extent?
13) What behavioral pattern the community can accept among themselves?
14) How the community can be open minded to include all caste people to participate and share their views?
15) What can be the actions and reactions among community members during their interactions?
16) Whether the community is concerned about the well being of its people?
17) To what extent the community can be considerate towards the needs of their own community people?
18) What's the mental caliber of the community and to what extent they can be rational towards the community tradition and culture?
19) Whether the community people can ever be united and respect each other?
20) Is the community ready to hold hands of each other, be united for a cause, be stong and attempt to uplift themselves, considering the present India? Irrespective of how each of them wants to follow their life style personally.
21) Can Tamil Brahmins justify themselves to be at receiving end in this modern India of the present era?

www.tamilbrahmins.com in net shell is, to symbolically reveal the true picture of the community, IMO

Last edited:
There is an adage in Tamil, சிரிக்க சிரிக்க பேசுவா மத்தவா, அழ அழச் சொல்லுவா நம்ம மனுஷா. Promoting false pride is true Brahmin-bashing, sugar coated poison pill.

This attitude of yours is condescending.

When we have accepted to work at office setup, we are required to follow the attire (wear suit), etiquette, possess the requirements and office needs. In the same way, those adhering to vedic system, are supposed to follow the requirements of Sandhya, Gayathri, adorning the attires as requirements. How is latter the supremacy and the former not?

Such requirements were the same for all varnas, but relaxed as they were involved in serious duties like administration and business. Overtime, people didn't follow except Brahmins, and they were not forced to [by the common authority like in islam] considering them as Free-will. Brahmins were not the central authority in Hinduism. Respecting the basic principles behind the Vedic System, is what is missing from your side "சிரிக்க சிரிக்க பேசுவா மத்தவா".

Gotra system is accepting and following a lineage. If some didnt follow as they intermingled is their own free-will. If following that is considered Supremacy, not following is Selfish. You are bashing the very basic principle of vedic heritage. Plus, I should consider, 'we having kids, we having complete meal, we becoming professionals' as Supremacy, when there are many who could not afford any of those. Rather than helping those who could not afford , You are depriving us from having kids or having meal. So, in the name 'equality', you simply ridding us of our values and duties rather than to promote better understanding in adhering the values by both sides. We don't have to fall into a ditch to-gether to show equality, rather we share good-values to show our solidarity. "அழ அழச் சொல்லுவா நம்ம மனுஷா" is what you should try to do henceforth. This is exactly what should be done even in GD's.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;98751 said:
....Condemning brahmins wholesale as supremacists is brahmin bashing.
KB all this is in your imagination. If these things happened you must have rebutted them contemporaneously without getting emotional. Letting them slide by and later making sweeping statements like this is useless.

I do condemn Brahminsim because it is a supremacist ideology. I do oppose those who talk highly of this ideology, whether it is TB or NB, does not matter. I do place a higher level of responsibility upon Brahmins for the current pathetic state of caste ridden society because they are the ones who offered intellectual and religious support for it, not to mention that a case can be made to show they are prominent among those who mount a dogged fight to perpetuate it.

We can debate all of this if you want, but these are not bashing anyone or bullying anyone. To bully is to go after a selected few to establish fear and dominance. Some here have done that, a Christian who hides behind theism and a doctor who saw BG given duty to flip. These are the bullies, not those who present well researched cogent arguments about ideas and views, nothing personal.

Inability to counter these arguments cannot be the reason to emotionally go out on a limb and accuse such things as bashing and bullying. If you think you are able and have good arguments, then present them sans these ridiculous charges.

The arguments made here are not against caste system or casteism. The arguments made here are against brahmins. Period.
This is your opinion, an emotional one. Don't get so angry, calm down and let us talk about it.

There are thousand times more forums than tamilbrahmins.com. Why some people come here and indulge in brahmin bashing? Perhaps, it is the same morbid curiosity that attracts religious brahmins to this GD section.
KB, we all come here for various reasons, I am not asking you not to visit any site or any forum, only that don't make these silly charges.

If you are the owner of this site then you can ban us, or ask us to go away, but fortunately, you are not. So it is better that we come to terms and have civil debate. If this is unbearable to you, then, perhaps you can start a forum and call it TrueTamilBrahmins.Com and make it into a mutual admiration society. But let me caution you, a MAS is not a very interesting place and neither can one learn anything in that environment.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, when Shri Sangom started this thread I felt it is a good way for us to express our past experiences. I did not expect the usual re-airing of charges of bashing. Praveen used to say, everybody is welcome to come and participate, if you don't like it you are free to go about your way, there is no compulsion to join neither is there any compulsion to stay.

But, I do hope we all choose to stay and chatter about, argue, and let the aging grey cells get some activity. You don't like the name of the forum, too bad, I also don't like certain rules and holy cows of the forum, that is too bad for me. We all must adjust a little, compromise a little, so that we all can enjoy the full potential of the web site.

We do have an eclectic group here, with strong views and deep knowledge. We all come to the forum with a certain level of honesty and sincerity, we all express views that we believe in. Let us not presume the other side is "bad" because they hold views we disagree with.

We all are brothers and sisters, in the words of Mahakavi, சண்டையிட்டாலும் சகோதரரன்றோ? We have a wonderful site, something for everyone, never a dull moment. Let us keep it that way.

Cheers!

oh! i feel likei have been here forever :)

i had an interesting path to here. i used to belong to another forum, and over there, i used to fight tooth and nail with a tambram (who else?) who took a dislike to me for many things, but above all, for being, what i would term a 'traitor' - 'you should be on our side' he used to say.

it has a happy ending. the guy is one of my very good friends now, and out of the blue i even got invited for his wedding. something that neither he nor i ever envisaged would happen. he taught me a lot.

he taught me how to express myself. if mr perry in my high school taught me english, this guy showed me the beauty of expressing myself hard yet so softly and kindly, that one may not like the medicine, and would spit out, but with regret. so, for this guy, i would ever be grateful. i liked him from the start, and wanted him to like me, without giving up my values. tough you say! piece of cake, i say, once you know how to do it :)

if you are like me, you would tend to get very upset, if you perceive someone is being nasty towards you. or vice versa. being 'nice' is our natural state of comfort. n'est pas?

i came here from a more eclectic forum. got bored one day, and could not get together myself to post any more. some day, that might happen here too, and i would have moved on, unannounced and silent. so till then, i hope to participate wherever and whenever interests permits. and time ofcourse.

when i came here, the forum definitely had a different flavour, much more a reflection of what i would call virulent rssbhajrang mouthpiece, with no tolerance for many a dimension, that we find now. just like now, the overwhelming number of threads, were queries for and received, for information, concerning rituals and slokas. just like now, nobody bothered those, as these incited very little interest.

what caused fluffs, were those posts, where anyone could post something a little out of the norms of brahmin practices of 50 years ago, including mindsets. anyone who thought differently, was literallly hounded out. we had some moderators, who were at constant loggerheads with these centeniarians in terms of mindsets, and eventually these were thrown out by the moderators. but not before exacting their ounce of flesh, in the form of membership of some of the more promising newcomers.

it is then that i remembered martin niemoeller,

First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out, because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out, because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out, because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left, to speak out for me.

even though i am an ardent hindu, visit the temple, light the lamp, and above all, seek solace in my hanuman chalis, i feel uncomfortable here, when folks who do not think like me, are targeted person wise. it is seldom that their beliefs are attacked, for these are rock solid. so it comes to calling these names - 'self hating brahmins', 'brahmin bashers', and any inane phrase that may be creation of the day. to me these represent, not only a bankruptcy of knowledge, but more than that, a virus bent on annhiliating something that does not conform - a very dangerous trend in this mulitpolar world. we have enough terrorists of various brands, and we do not need more!

there is no need for that. i feel never threatened by folks like nara, yamaka, sangom and their beliefs. if is their path and they have come through a route, which is unique, and which they feel is right for them. i find it very interesting to hear their paths and many a times i disagree or plainly ignore.

if we are strong in what we believe, we have no reason to feel threatened. honestly, all these guys, only help us make us better. they are poking holes at our weakest links. to tell you a story, during world war 2, during analysis of the returning planes from a bombing raid, the chief of air staff, observed all the holes in the planes, and suggested that these parts were the most affected and should be made doubly strong. pat came answer from winston churchill, that it might be better to reinforce the other parts than these holes, for those represented the planes that did not come back.

it is a solid line between disliking someone, and disliking his ideas. let us look around, outside of the forum, and at our best friends or our family. in my case, i can count with my fingers, the points of total agreement with mrs k, or with the children. even less with my best friends. there is no reason for the chemistry of friendship. let us invoke and maintain that, irrespective of our disagreements of views. this takes some effort and honesty. but i think most of us, will eventually get passing grades. eh!

same way, i think us folks who go to temples, should look at the baggage that has been handed down to us, and discern. to deny that there is no baggage, is to deny ourselves. for every tambram, has shed portions of his cultural and religious inheritance, in bits and pieces, out of conscience, convenience or for sheer comfort. why live through lies?

happy hindu, i feel is the future of hinduism. casteless, erudite and questioning. for our faith and way of life to have a future, we need folks, who look at the past critically. introspection is among the healthiest of exercises, and what comes out, will be definitely is philosophies, which are universal and egalitarian - a must for today's world. something cannot be 'right' for one, and be 'wrong' or 'unfair' for someone else. or even perceived such.

one great development is the young ladies who have come here over the time since i joined. i treasure the membership of amala, valli, renuka and i miss revathi, who probably is fighting customer fires in london, paris, singapore or timbuktoo. these are perfect examples of where quality swarms over quantity. atleast i think so.

fights. fights are a must. because that shows that we are involved and would like to put a stake on what we feel is right or truth of the moment. i have fought i think with most members here. right now, haridasa and kalabhairavan have reasons to be sore with me. but let me assure them, that this is not permanent, and as we move along, we will find many common grounds. such is life, for we cannot and should not hold grudges.

today, we have questions, as to whether this forum is named appropriately. oh well, let us look at all the famous brands of today: 3M stands for minnesota mining and minerals, PPP stands for pittsburgh paper and glass, LG stands for lucky goldstar (!). i think, name has nothing, or maybe everything to be what we want. does not a rose, by any name, smell as sweet?

what do we want to be? praveen has clearly stated, that and this is what i understand it to be: an information resource for brahminical (or even hindu) heritage, where ideas are welcome, and what is not welcome is the virulent hatred as preached by one jamadagneya, or an obfuscation provided by sapr333. both famous names in the annals of this forum.

i think, it is important to keep the windows of ideas open in all directions. a little while back, a senior singapore minster was explaining to some sore singaporians, who were overlooked for some really fancy government jobs, which the sarkar favoured foreigners. he said that he understood their feeling of lost entitlement, but choosing the best fit for the job, was good for the community overall. everyone profited in the end. my arguement for reservations is likewise. the right is not 'merit', but 'community good'. our monopoly of government jobs have now become diluted, to the extent, that our physical and moral safety is no longer at issue. elites, in the course of history, have always come to a bloody end. one only has to look at 18th century france, or 20th century russia or china. thankfully, we in india, escaped that slaughter, though we exchanged it, for a massacre of a different kind. in 1947!

it is to our pride, that we have not had a moderator here keeping tab of every post. it is only praveen, and the odd occassion when someone feels victimised or bruised, that he complains to praveen. otherwise, it is my gut feeling that we are left alone, by and large, to sort out our differences, ourselves. it is a trust, that we should, every one of us should cherish, and guard against charlatans and dupes. i think so.

where we might not find common ground in what brahminism is, the evils of the past, and how we should reinvent ourselves as a community for tomorrow, we find we dance together in the hindi or tamil hits of yesteryears. :) or the odd ode to palghat recipe, which is my heart and soul.

the beauty of the forum is that while there are several threads, i do not bother with most - mostly lack of time and also out of interests. my prescription for those who find objections in the very nature of certain threads, is to skip it. i have found myself, some truth in that old adage, 'ignorance is bliss' :)

blissfully wishing you and yours !!!!!!!!!!! a good day!

God Bless!!

Last edited:
Nara said:
KB said:
The arguments made here are not against caste system or casteism. The arguments made here are against brahmins. Period.
This is your opinion, an emotional one. Don't get so angry, calm down and let us talk about it.

Whether I am angry or not, my opinion was not an emotional one. It is based on irrefutable facts. Why is the term brahminism repeatedly used but the term casteism seldom used by the so-called reformists? Isn't the idea behind using words such as brahminism to put the blame entirely on brahmins? Unlike Nara's claim, there is lot of obfuscation on who or what is being blamed or criticized in this forum. Sometimes it is brahminism, sometimes it is brahmins, sometimes it is brahminists! The words brahminism, brahmins, brahminists are so interchangeably used that one may not be able to wiggle out stating that the criticism is against the ideology and not the people.

I do not expect Nara to accept these charges but let the readers form informed opinions.

This forum, I understand, is dear to many members and some feel this thread is an opportunity to reminisce their experience of participating in this forum. I do not intend to derail this thread anymore, so I stop here.

Why is this website called TamilBrahmins.com? Why is it not called something else?
blah blah blah

i suggest this thread might give you some insight/feedback and whatnot

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/feedback-suggestions/4712-req-your-feedback-thoughts.html

Moreover, this thread is not meant to be a praveen/tamilbrahmins.com bashing or why this or that etc...

Sangomji has started this to share his past experiences and not for anything else. If future posts seem more like a "bashing" those posts will be edited and removed. Stick to the topic and stick to the intention of this thread.

Why is this website called TamilBrahmins.com? Why is it not called something else?
blah blah blah

i suggest this thread might give you some insight/feedback and whatnot

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/feedback-suggestions/4712-req-your-feedback-thoughts.html

Moreover, this thread is not meant to be a praveen/tamilbrahmins.com bashing or why this or that etc...

Sangomji has started this to share his past experiences and not for anything else. If future posts seem more like a "bashing" those posts will be edited and removed. Stick to the topic and stick to the intention of this thread.

hi praveen
thank u so much for ur suggestion......

regards
tbs

At least those who want and work for the extinction of brahmins or have serious disgust and aversion for brahminical literature/traditions/customs/rituals must start a separate anti-tamil-brahmin forum to vent their whatever emotions they have bottled up inside.

I guess I have to give my story too.I cant really remember how I stumbled upon TB forum and I joined here.
At first the impression that its only for Tamil Brahmins and only after a while I realized that its open to anyone and I started posting.

Ok when I first joined I was not too active yet and when the very 1st time when I read some "different" views on religion I was thinking "OMG are these Brahmins?"

After a while I realized that TBs are just like anyone else in this world so I can't really expect TBs to be singing Chidananda Roopah Shivoham Shivoham( 24 hours a day)

But believe me reading some anti god posts at the begining when I joined really gave me a shock of my life!!!

I found some good friends here like Amala and my once upon a time Anna and a few others like C Ravi too.

I had left once cos I felt that it was getting a bit too negative and then decided to join Facebook religious sites and I quit there cos too many people were sending friends invite(its not too easy to handle so many people so I quit FB)

Then I was feeling uneasy like a tasmanian devil wondering where to go again to search for religious topics and to write some and I decided to join TB forum again.

And this time I decided to unleash my 'wild' side too cos I cant be good too long and had a few good rounds of fights with a few too but this time I was having fun actually.
TB forum taught me how to fight well..something I was not too good before.I used to tell my mum.."it feels more like Kurukshetra.com at times and it feels that i am dealing with a group of war lords more then Brahmanas"..hey but thats fine after all Drona was a Brahmin.

Anyway now I find TB forum even more interesting cos we have all sorts of threads and we are quite familiar with each other and I do gain lots of religious knowledge besides the art of warfare.

Its two years for me this month being in TB forum and I know I will stay on.

At least those who want and work for the extinction of brahmins or have serious disgust and aversion for brahminical literature/traditions/customs/rituals must start a separate anti-tamil-brahmin forum to vent their whatever emotions they have bottled up inside.

Well said

I guess I have to give my story too.I cant really remember how I stumbled upon TB forum and I joined here.
At first the impression that its only for Tamil Brahmins and only after a while I realized that its open to anyone and I started posting.

Ok when I first joined I was not too active yet and when the very 1st time when I read some "different" views on religion I was thinking "OMG are these Brahmins?"

After a while I realized that TBs are just like anyone else in this world so I can't really expect TBs to be singing Chidananda Roopah Shivoham Shivoham( 24 hours a day)

But believe me reading some anti god posts at the begining when I joined really gave me a shock of my life!!!

I found some good friends here like Amala and my once upon a time Anna and a few others like C Ravi too.

I had left once cos I felt that it was getting a bit too negative and then decided to join Facebook religious sites and I quit there cos too many people were sending friends invite(its not too easy to handle so many people so I quit FB)

Then I was feeling uneasy like a tasmanian devil wondering where to go again to search for religious topics and to write some and I decided to join TB forum again.

And this time I decided to unleash my 'wild' side too cos I cant be good too long and had a few good rounds of fights with a few too but this time I was having fun actually.
TB forum taught me how to fight well..something I was not too good before.I used to tell my mum.."it feels more like Kurukshetra.com at times and it feels that i am dealing with a group of war lords more then Brahmanas"..hey but thats fine after all Drona was a Brahmin.

Anyway now I find TB forum even more interesting cos we have all sorts of threads and we are quite familiar with each other and I do gain lots of religious knowledge besides the art of warfare.

Its two years for me this month being in TB forum and I know I will stay on.

I like your well thought out comments. It is a stark contrast to nay-sayers. Some I meet in society, but they are lot more vocal here.

sarang,

this is not a fair statement, i think.

every one of us tambrams, have been selective of what they have discarded. it is a rare tambram today, who has picked up more rituals than what his father did. though there may be a few.

your all encampassing statement quoted above is i think, deeply flawed.

more than once in threads in the past i have said what makes me proud of our community, is a penchance for hard work, intellectual curiosity, ambition, drive, love of studying, discipline and a deep seated desire to excel in studies.

you might notice from above, that what is lacking is a desire for physical activities, group sports, body building, grooming, social interaction including with girls, and joie de vivre. what is wrong is pointing this out? rich tambram kids have apparently caught on, but it is the lower middle class that is left out.all the above, does not take money, but only time or interest.

let us take rituals. how many of us do sandhi 5 times a day. or even 3 times a day. what about the rigours of all the rituals as described by sangom. if you need to go through the exercise, sangom can point out to resources which would means the tambram would be spending the whole day moving from ritual to the other. the end of one would be the beginning of the other. can you live by that. why not accept our reluctance to such discipline. we have reasons, but that is not the issue here.

rituals. ok, heaven forbid, should any female in your household become widowed, will you have her head shaved, garb her in white, condemn her to a corner of the house, consider her an ill omen and leave her to eat the left overs and hidden away from the public because she is a peedai?

scriptures. manu has said that a shudra hearing the vedas, molten lead should be poured in his ears. if he utters the gayatri, his tongue should be cut off. tell me, does that sound fair to you?

sarang, your statement, i find, not only unfair, but expresses more an attack on the folks who look at the realities of today, and have no problem, trying to find the right mix of values, so that we can reinvent ourselves for a more comfortable tomorrow.

i think today's youngsters, will not argue against the values. they will just drop off, as old casteist values and rigours sound not only unfair to the rest of hindu society of today, but become an unwelcome baggage, which they would rather not carry.

the challenge for any tambram today, is i think, how to reconcile the handme down essentially unbalanced and tiltedinfavourofthebrahmin values of the past, with a society that is assertively egalitarian. also to our disadvantage, we will find racial memories are long, and as much as we want to discard the worst aspects of hitherto casteism, the other communities, realizing that the world has turned in their favour, might want to seek their pound of flesh. which i think, they are already doing. :)

Shri sarang,

In post #34 above, Shri Govinda has stated that "those adhering to vedic system, are supposed to follow the requirements of Sandhya, Gayathri, adorning the attires as requirements." This exactly is the tragedy of the people who call us anti-brahminical. They, like Govinda, are convinced beyond any shadow of doubt that they are following the vedic system prescribed for brahmins and, moreover, anyone who follows, even anyone who intends to follow these, are true brahmins and legitimate inheritors of brahminhood, brahminness or braahmaNyam, or whatever.

Unfortunately or fortunately, I was also a person following the above regimen and something more, like reading original books and our scriptures. It was due to such reading that I came to the conclusion that I as also almost all tabras around me, are shortchanging our ancient forefathers by believing ourselves to be braahmanas, whereas in reality we are neither brahmanas, nor kshatriyas or vaisyas not even honest sudras but a people who are deceiving themselves and the world around them also. For a ready reference to what an honest brahmin will be required to do daily (as against the Sandhya, Gayathri, adorning the attires, shortlist of Shri Govinda) right from the "horse's mouth" so to say, please read what the senior Kanchi Acharya says here.

I will therefore entreat all the members here to read the Acharya carefully, understand how little, if at all, do we qualify for being considered as braahmanas and develop the honesty to admit that our motor car of braahmanyam is just one nut and bolt from an entire automobile, and come to terms with the humility arising out of such awareness. Many members here and many of their posts (including the one to which this is reply) reveal a mindset that with what little each of the members may be doing, all of them are unadulterated braahmanas and any criticism, comments or suggestions are tantamount to brahmin-bashing. This to me is the real brahmin vainglory.

Fortunately for us, Shri Praveen seems inclined to give equal importance to both sides, as long as the posts are in polite language, based on unassailable facts and devoid of personal attacks. Just as the fire brigade rushes to a spot on fire, we post our views in a forum in which the brahmin vainglory is very evident and that too prominently. In short, as I wrote here, "This Forum is as much 'your country' as it is our country too, in short. Mutual tolerance and accommodation is the best course open to us, imo."

Thank you.

Some here have done that, a Christian who hides behind theism and a doctor who saw BG given duty to flip.

boy, ghost is back again i guess.

since you made a claim, please prove your claim. after all you and happyhindu were once claimed that you were the only messengers of free-speech, but ferociously opposed when sh.tks asked for the imam identity of Imam yamaka or some of those off late absentees here.

why this double standards again? is that to attract claps in the crowd, in vain. why all these tricks of branding such as ' BG followers and christian'.

you claim to be presenting sharp, clear, scholarly things, right! but, in the name of these , you took shelter to prick on those who shared opposite views, and continued your brahmin bashing.. fine, but, come clear sir..

identity those id's here, whom you feel are hiding behind.. lets take it out and see if i could expose your usual tactics of suppressing those members, who share opposite views, with both your scripts and game plays..awaiting

I thought you have changed.. anyways, upon your answer, i will decide to chose for referring it to moderation.

ps:HH tried it once, but burned, but hh posts now (after that short ban)are quite refined without any direct brahmin bashing.

come clear with your allegations about those 2 members whom you portrayed here and mention their login IDS or handle ..i appreciate it always and well in advance,provided if you could explain in details whom you meant and why? thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"when sh.tks asked for the imam identity of Imam yamaka."

When Dr. tks called me Imam yamaka, I thought he was joking! Others called me "John Amen" too!

I thought he was satisfied that for the past 40 years (all my adult life) I have been a self proclaimed Athiest...and therefore he has no interest to pursue me!!

Perhaps, people will have interest if I attend a Church, a Mosque or a Synagogue!

Maybe, I am wrong!

"i think today's youngsters, will not argue against the values. they will just drop off, as old casteist values and rigours sound not only unfair to the rest of hindu society of today, but become an unwelcome baggage, which they would rather not carry.

the challenge for any tambram today, is i think, how to reconcile the handme down essentially unbalanced and tiltedinfavourofthebrahmin values of the past, with a society that is assertively egalitarian. also to our disadvantage, we will find racial memories are long, and as much as we want to discard the worst aspects of hitherto casteism, the other communities, realizing that the world has turned in their favour, might want to seek their pound of flesh. which i think, they are already doing." - K, post 45

Very well said...

In fact, youngsters walking away from all the organized orthodox religiosity is what I want...and is happening all around me!

Nearly half of all TBs around me have problems with their kids in College... whatever they were force-fed is being rebuked with a vengeance! Now, poor parents blame each other for the breakdown of the family: husband blames the wife who blames the husband for raising the kids "in such strict religious environment".

All of this I expected and I warned the parents!

In fact, what TBs go thru now is very similar to the conflict between the Orthodox Jews and Reformed Jews! One wants to cling to the past and the other wants to think of the future!

And, very similar to Orthodox Muslims and the Modern Muslims who even allow women to lead & conduct Friday prayers!

This struggle is but natural...

Wait & watch.

Last edited:
"when sh.tks asked for the imam identity of Imam yamaka."

When Dr. tks called me Imam yamaka, I thought he was joking! Others called me "John Amen" too!

I thought he was satisfied that for the past 40 years (all my adult life) I have been a self proclaimed Athiest...and therefore he has no interest to pursue me!!

Perhaps, people will have interest if I attend a Church, a Mosque or a Synagogue!

Maybe, I am wrong!

i have no issues here.

but i was only requesting that entity, to practice what it preaches!! the rules cannot be bend, just to gain one's supremacy in a debate forum to gain verbal duos, while advocating wrong about 'brahmin supremacy.. the same somebody, said , brahminism is ok but supremacy is wrong.

i have absolutely no issues if you were an imam.. that's why i silently skipped that post of sh,TKS, but recorded within.

the preachers should practice what they preach!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back