• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஸ்ரீவைணவம் ஒரு விளக்கம்

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaste tks ji,

No..no.. I did not make the puliyodharai... I just started volunteering recently, just some extra help around the kitchen like cutting vegetables, cleaning, etc. Also sometimes making flower garlands...

Next time when you visit, if it is weekend, I might actually be there... this is why members should post their pics... so that we can get to know the face... :D

You are also very welcome to visit our home when in town next time...!

Cheers,

JR

Namaste tks ji,

No..no.. I did not make the puliyodharai... I just started volunteering recently, just some extra help around the kitchen like cutting vegetables, cleaning, etc. Also sometimes making flower garlands...

Next time when you visit, if it is weekend, I might actually be there... this is why members should post their pics... so that we can get to know the face... :D

Cheers,

JR

Thank you for your kindness , Smt JR

Usually our visits have been very rushed. I did not post pictures etc is because this is an open forum and searchable by Google and other engines. I have not put personally identifiable information online if possible though I have shared lot of detail over the years.

If we get time to visit the temple area I will send you a private message. I am more interested to do one more part of my duty which is to find a right husband for my daughter :) I prefer to find someone born and raised in USA, Indian origin, (prefer Tamil speaking), vegetarian , living in Boston area so they can meet to see if there is mutual interest, satvic and a good person (kind, compassionate and generous towards others to match her own values).

Dont want to go away from the topic of this thread. Let me therefore add something more relevant to the topic of the thread.

Your daily Namakirthanana Pooja etc is great - it is like daily meditation (provided not practiced like addiction).

The reason the mental model abouta vision for our life is important is because one cannot make progress otherwise. Metaphorically it is like to trying to find a place in Boston using a map of Chennai :)

Hinduism includes in its umbrella many kind of theologies. However great progress towards peace and tranquility in our life can be made by almost anyone without changing their religious traditions if they can embrace the values that are detailed in Chapter 13. These include all the values described verses 8 through 12 (chapter 13). What others say about us is not important, but what we take ourselves to be in the privacy of our self is key while developing these traits.

The description of who is SV (opening post) if overlayed with those values described can *prepare* one for knowledge and true Bhakti.

Namaste tks ji,

Cheers,

JR

hi
i think puliyodarai is making by one of bhattar ......generally priests making prasadams in vaishnava temples.....

hi
i think puliyodarai is making by one of bhattar ......generally priests making prasadams in vaishnava temples.....

TBS ji,

In this Sri Lakshmi Temple, there are also sannidhis for Shaivite deities... like Vinayaka, Lord Shiva (Nataraja) and Uma, Murugan. There is a Shaivite cook appointed by temple by name of Sairam. He makes all the meals for prasadam and for devotees.

BTW: There is tremendous amount of free food served at this temple, especially on Fridays, and weekends.

TBS ji,

In this Sri Lakshmi Temple, there are also sannidhis for Shaivite deities... like Vinayaka, Lord Shiva (Nataraja) and Uma, Murugan. There is a Shaivite cook appointed by temple by name of Sairam. He makes all the meals for prasadam and for devotees.

BTW: There is tremendous amount of free food served at this temple, especially on Fridays, and weekends.
hi

i know boston sri lakshmi temple and delaware sri mahalakshmi temple too....but for food/prasadam.....i heard that

flishing temple and bridgewater temple are famous....

hi

I am not aware of ant strict Sri Viashnava temples in USA except one in Pomona, NY.

It is built in Sri Rangam style supposedly.

I did not find any deity for தும்பிக்கை ஆழ்வார் at this temple for example.

Temple observes strict code and does not allow songs about Siva in Carnatic music concerts held there. I am not sure how true it is but it is based on what I heard.

The temple otherwise is nice and the food served is OK only :) The temple atmosphere is friendly overall.

SV people will really like the temple as well as others. There were some controversies about this place at one time but those may have been resolved now.

Such characterizations are patently bad. One should also reflect on the **ego** of Yajnavalkya when he asked the king to send the 1000 cows to his home, even before the start of the debate appearing in the BrihadAranyaka upaniSad or on the anger and impatience of vAjashrava in giving his own son Nachiketa to yamA as mentioned in kaThOpaniSad.

Dear Shri Narayanan,

I do not understand what benefit it will be for anyone to "reflect on the **ego** of Yajnavalkya when he asked the king to send the 1000 cows to his home, even before the start of the debate appearing in the BrihadAranyaka upaniSad or on the anger and impatience of vAjashrava in giving his own son Nachiketa to yamA as mentioned in kaThOpaniSad." Obviously, all the characters Yajnavalkya, Vajasharavas and Nachiketa form part of story-telling and only those who are mentally ready to accept them as true persons who have lived in flesh & blood, will think of them as anything more relevant.

Yajnavalkya appears to have been a comparatively affluent Brahmin and had two wives. Naturally, he must have had his share of human ego which made him so confident as to ask the king (Janaka) to send the 1000 cows to his home even before the beginning of the debate. Since this debate was (I presume) subsequent to Yajnavalkya's prayers to the Sun god and his making the White Yajurveda, etc. Therefore, I think the more one reflects on the point given by you, the more he will become doubtful whether even such divine graces (as from the Sun god) are useless in wiping out human egotism! That is all.

As regards Kathopanishad, Uddaalaka (son of Vaajasravas) was in no hurry to give away Nachiketa to Yama; only, the father was very angry (not impatient in giving his son to Yama) due to the repeated taunt of his young son and so he sort of cursed the boy "Go to hell!". It was, on the contrary, Nachiketas who presumably journeyed to Yamaloka and waited there for three full days without food or water, till Yama's return. When we read slokas 6,7 & 8 of the Kathopanishad, it will be seen that the scene abruptly shifts from Uddaalaka's Visvajit Yaga to Lord Yama's territory.

Yajnavalkya appears to have been a comparatively affluent Brahmin and had two wives. Naturally, he must have had his share of human ego which made him so confident as to ask the king (Janaka) to send the 1000 cows to his home even before the beginning of the debate. Since this debate was (I presume) subsequent to Yajnavalkya's prayers to the Sun god and his making the White Yajurveda, etc. Therefore, I think the more one reflects on the point given by you, the more he will become doubtful whether even such divine graces (as from the Sun god) are useless in wiping out human egotism! That is all.

Dear Sangom,

I find Yajnavalkya strange at times.

In the famous dialogue between Yajnavalkya and Gargi:

"By what, pray, is the World of Hiranyagarbha pervaded?"
"Do not, O Gargi," said he, "question too much, lest your head should fall off. You are questioning too much about a deity about whom we should not ask too much. Do not ask too much, O Gargi." Thereupon Gargi, the daughter of Vachaknu, held her peace.

I always wondered why he told Gargi not to ask too much otherwise her head would fall.

Was he afraid that he might not be able to answer her questions..and would have to return the cows he had taken much in advance?

Dear Shri Narayanan,

I do not understand what benefit it will be for anyone to "reflect on the **ego** of Yajnavalkya when he asked the king to send the 1000 cows to his home, even before the start of the debate appearing in the BrihadAranyaka upaniSad or on the anger and impatience of vAjashrava in giving his own son Nachiketa to yamA as mentioned in kaThOpaniSad." Obviously, all the characters Yajnavalkya, Vajasharavas and Nachiketa form part of story-telling and only those who are mentally ready to accept them as true persons who have lived in flesh & blood, will think of them as anything more relevant.

I bolded the part which I tend to agree with. Let me add some further comments to make even a stronger statement.

Stories in Upanishads are more like 'containers' for real teaching passages that follow. Focusing on them is like a child arguing over the names of fictitious character used in describing a mathematics problem.

Such stories have nothing to do with history . Neither are they written to communicate some moral teaching as in a Panchatantra stories.

Only a Samsari will "see" ego of a supposedly enlightened character described in such stories.

Anyone who is true enlightened will never claim they know Brahman. Such a claim itself will discredit the understanding itself.

Let me quote two relevant Kenopanishad verses that makes the above point

नाहं मन्ये सुवेदेति नो न वेदेति वेद च |
यो नस्तद्वेद तद्वेद नो न वेदेति वेद च ||२||

यस्यामतं तस्य मतं मतं यस्य न वेद सः |
अविज्ञातं विजानतां विज्ञातमविजानताम् ||३||

Verse 2: I do not think 'I know it well' . But not that I do not know, I know too. Who among us comprehend It both as 'not known' and as 'known' - he comprehends it

Verse 3: He understands It who comprehends It not! and he understands It not who feels he has comprehended It. It is unknown to the Master of True Knowledge but to the ignorant It is known

Even in the story in question, there no one in the King's court that claims that they are enlightened. This is not out of fear or humility. Please see the bolder part above.

Yajnavalkya simply says he bows to all the enlightened people in the court and wants to take the cows because he likes them. That starts the Q&A. Bringing ego of anyone in the picture is meaningless in this context.

A samsari cannot understand a truly enlightened person by observing them or their actions. They are as remote to a Samasari's mind as the descriptions of (Nirguna) Brahman itself to the mind, which it cannot comprehend. This point can be understood with proper and extensive background and hence is a major topic area. Therefore I will close by citing a verse in B.Gita where Sri Krishna makes the same point (without explanation) by using a nice metaphor.

या निशा सर्वभूतानां तस्यां जागर्ति संयमी ।
यस्यां जाग्रति भूतानि सा निशा पश्यतो मुनेः ॥

The above was part of response to Arjuna's question as to how a Sthitapragnya (enlightened person which is a English term I used in this post) interacts with the world. The use of the metaphor of being awake and sleeping in the context of day and night is very apt. Ignorance (of truth) and knowledge is like day and night and cannot co-exist.

It is not possible for a samsari driven by ignorance and ego to observe the actions of an enlightened person and learn from those actions. There is lot more to the above verse but it does make a point that one cannot draw conclusions about ego of an enlightened person. Such conclusions reflect more about the ego the concluder and not of the enlightened person (who does have residual ego for functioning in the world).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back