• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஸ்ரீவைணவம் ஒரு விளக்கம்

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who have taken 'samasrayanam' (also known as 'Panchasamskaram') normally do not eat or drink water in others' houses. My mother told me that even in relative's marriages, these people only eat certain varieties and do not eat other varieties. This is not about treating other unequally, rather should be viewed as keeping to one's oath rendered to the lord about keeping personal 'madi' a policy that is practiced always...
Dear Jayashree,

I understand the personal 'madi' concept but wonder how it allows a person to eat cheese burger/ pizza, outside India. :hungry:

Probably, these are prepared by 'madi' people too!! :D

I am not a staunch Saivite too!
I am a believer in the 'Almighty', the super power and pray that power in many forms! :peace:

First of all, the question of Shaivite does not arise here. It is between Smartha and Vaishnavite. Frankly, how many Smarthas really give importance to Shaivite Gods than the Vaishnavite counterparts. For most of the Smarthas, Vibhudhi is an identification to show differently.

the OP was interesting to read for me..

Thanks tks Sir

My posting this Thread is not to create controversies here, but to learn about the practices of Vaishnavas;

Interesting Information about their Practices is already posted in replies which will clear many doubts about their practices.

The other day I was sitting in the restaurant of a hotel waiting for my Idli and Sambar. I could find at least two families-young parents (must be in their thirties) with their children- carefully avoiding the water provided in glass by the bearer. One family ordered for a fresh bottle of water. The other had brought its own stock which was taken out of their bag and the glasses were filled up. I am used to this familiar ritual in many restaurants.

They must be vaishnavites and "by observing ritualistic discipline they may be both sincere and greedy at the same time. They want a seat in heaven after death. ( whatever heaven called in their religion)". LOL.

One family ordered for a fresh bottle of water. The other had brought its own stock which was taken out of their bag and the glasses were filled up.

Sri vaagmi Sir

Ordering Fresh water is just to avoid any after effects of consuming unsafe water.
We also order Fresh bottled water whenever we visit any restaurant.

Our Family Doctor has also advised not to take unfiltered water from restaurant.

Who is a srivaishnava ?

WHO IS A SRIVAISHNAVA ?

Posted on April 12, 2015 by Kazhiyur Varadan

Swamy Parasara Bhattar had a new disciple .

The disciple wanted to know how to identify a srivaishnava ? Swamy sent his new disciple from Srirangam to Tirumala to ascertain from the great devotee Ananthazhwan as what was the quality of a srivaishnava . The disciple though bit amused with his Gurus instructions proceeded to Tirumala which took him almost a week to reach the holy place .

Being too hungry he reached the ashram of Sri Anatazhwan and expected some good hospitality from the intimates there . The Ashram was full of bhagavathas who were having the prasadam ( Thadiaaradhanai ) . He did not have a proper place to sit along with the guests in honouring the prasadam. He had to wait until everyone finished their prasad which almost took a long time as there were a good number of piligrims who had come to honour the prasadam.

After some time , Ananthazhwan noticed the new person standing far away . On enquiring from his disciples , he understood he did not have prasad . He felt sorry that he had not partaken the prasad though he was coming from a very long distance .Ananthazhwan went near him and enquired about his coming from Srirangam . The disciple promptly replied that his Acharyar had sent him to ascertain the qualities of a srivaishnava from his holiness and he was waiting for his audience . Ananthazhwan briefly replied that asrivaishnava must be likea crane , like a hen , like salt and finally like a disciple like him .

( Kokkaippol iruppaan, Kozhiyaippol iruppan, Uppaippol iruppaan, Ummaippol iruppaan”.)

The disciple honoured the prasad and politely went into the chambers of Swamys Ashram . He pleaded to know the inner meanings of the statement

Swamy Ananthazhwan out of compassion answers the following .

A crane lives on the aquatic creatures near a lake . Though the river has plenty of aquatic creatures , the crane picks up only that which fits its mouth and leaves that which doesn’t suit her . Similarly a srivaishnava must behave in the same manner . There can be several truths in our great works that are intended for our deliverance . A srivaishnava will concentrate only on those truths which belongs to his faith and those which can be adopted and followed by him .

The Hen while moving around heaps of food will pick up the food which is needed , which is the essence and rejects the ones which is not worth .Similarly a srivaishnava will pick up that is essential truths that takes him to Atmagynam and upliftment from this samsara.

Salt retains the same taste both externally and internally . Similarly a srivaishnava is connected with the LORD both internally and externally . Hence must have qualities of a pure devotee .

The external signs alone for a vaishnava that decieves the people are dangerous to ones own upliftment and unfit to be srivaishnava . Tilak , kantmala and attire may project a person as a srivaishnava but if it lacks devotion it will doom him . A true Vaishnava would be self effacing while imparting flavor to the lives of others.

The last quality was like the disciple himself , which means the vaishnava who had come from Srirangam did not show any disrespect to the bhagavathaas or publizise his personnel closeness to Bhattar and demanded his authority etc .Instead he was patiently waiting for his turn for prasad and exhibited humility .This is a special quality a srivaishnava that keeps his ego out of reach.

The entire incident reveals that one must reflect on philosophical truths followed by our revered Acharyas and always remain devoted to the LORD.

Adiyen Ramanuja dasan

https://kmkvaradhan.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/who-is-a-srivaishnava/

After reading Vaagmi's Sir's post about drinking water, I wish to share something here.

During school days, we were trained to carry our own water bottles along with our books - just to ensure that the drinking water is pure.

Even now, I carry drinking water in a bottle while travelling and eating out! Good habit, right? Saves money too! :D

After reading Vaagmi's Sir's post about drinking water, I wish to share something here.

During school days, we were trained to carry our own water bottles along with our books - just to ensure that the drinking water is pure.

Even now, I carry drinking water in a bottle while travelling and eating out! Good habit, right? Saves money too! :D

This is not the point on which OP is posted.

Appreciate the best in Srivaishnavam .

This is not the point on which OP is posted.

Appreciate the best in Srivaishnavam .
Even after five years of experience in our forum, how do you think that ALL the posts will be related to the OP?? :noidea:

Anyway, I surrender to the Almighty and strongly believe in 'avanindri OraNuvum asaiyAdhu'!

Sri vaagmi Sir

Ordering Fresh water is just to avoid any after effects of consuming unsafe water.
We also order Fresh bottled water whenever we visit any restaurant.

Our Family Doctor has also advised not to take unfiltered water from restaurant.
Dear P J Sir,

Is this post of your good self, connected to the OP?? :confused:

The key word 'equal' is always misunderstood. We all are not equal, we have different traits and practices, individually or in groups. Does not lead to the conclusion that one is inferior and the other is superior. When vaishnava philosophy says atma is samam and not ekam, each even at atma level is unique and not samam.

Nice tutorial, Vaagmi Sir! Thanks.

I am NOT making an issue of that mAmi's habit but wanted to point out that I am NOT treated equal to her.

The OP says

FYI, she is one of my best friends. :)

You must confront her by not offering pizza when the rest of the company is at it.

Dear Jayashree,

I understand the personal 'madi' concept but wonder how it allows a person to eat cheese burger/ pizza, outside India. :hungry:

Probably, these are prepared by 'madi' people too!! :D

In our school days we never bothered about water. Drink it from the school well, or from a tap in the road or we can knock at the door of any house in the street. The mami or mama will be generous and pour water on the cupped palm. We never imagined that such untreated water can harm.

The otherday I was sitting in the restaurant of Hotel sathabhishekam Vaitheeswaran KoilI waiting for Idli and Sambar could find atleast 2 families young parents(must be in their thirties) with their children - after carefully avoiding main sannidhi and amman sanidhi but offering prayers at Sannidhi of Angarahan (Chevvai) I am used to this familiar ritual on in many restaurants!

They must be vaishnavites with hall mark religious symbol on their forehead "by observing ritualistic disipline they may be both sincere and greedy at the same time - want to get away from the effects of chevvai dosham - ( whatever chevvai dosham called in their religion) LOL

They had come to Vaitheeswaran Koil after visiting Chitrkootam in Chidambaram avoiding the main temp0le complex of Nataraj and Sivakami which had its Kumabhishekam few weeks ago!

In our school days we never bothered about water. Drink it from the school well, or from a tap in the road or we can knock at the door of any house in the street. The mami or mama will be generous and pour water on the cupped palm. We never imagined that such untreated water can harm.
Dear Sir,

Some others in our school were carefree; but my dad was a doctor! :)

< Clipped >

Human mind cannot but divide and see differences among people. The ego is too fragile and smart at the same time. It is smart to continue its existence in an 'acceptable' manner within the division it finds itself in and find ways to even feel special.

For example, people in various countries talk about how patriotic they are. Politicians love to drape themselves in the flag in order to show how much they love their country.

Similarly "devotees" love to surround themselves in a ritualistic fashion to their chosen God to feel special to their God/Goddess.

A "true Muslim" has definition of what it means to be one and feels affirmed in his/her ego position. A christian thinks he or she is a true christian based on his own definition.

The only thing common among these definitions is that they help to bolster the fragile ego of a person by enabling a feeling of being closer to their God. That leads to a delusional thinking that they are doing Gods command.

By observing ritualistic discipline they may be both sincere and greedy at the same time. They want a seat in heaven after death. ( whatever heaven called in their religion).

A person who cares deeply about welfare of others regardless of who they are and cares about all beings in general, is a true 'devotee'. Such people can come from any grouping including from SV background in my experience.

However those steeped into rituals feeding their ego are not likely to relate to what I have stated here.

< Clipped >

Very true words, in my experience!

The other day I was sitting in the restaurant of a hotel waiting for my Idli and Sambar. I could find at least two families-young parents (must be in their thirties) with their children- carefully avoiding the water provided in glass by the bearer. One family ordered for a fresh bottle of water. The other had brought its own stock which was taken out of their bag and the glasses were filled up. I am used to this familiar ritual in many restaurants.

They must be vaishnavites and "by observing ritualistic discipline they may be both sincere and greedy at the same time. They want a seat in heaven after death. ( whatever heaven called in their religion)". LOL.

Funny, I must have been at the same restaurant at the same time - I saw a man probably an SV himself and was intently watching these two families. Just then I saw a cockroach was coming out of its hiding near the man.

I wondered (and I think man may also have done that also ) what the cockroach was thinking. It was hiding, trying to come out and doing its ritual - is it also trying to go to heaven, only God knows. Just then the waiter came, noticed the cockroach and promptly sent it to its heaven !

LoL

It is strange that some very orthodox social animals (human beings) consume water from their stock sitting in a restaurant. Did they consume anything from the restaurant, and if so, what happen to the orthodoxy? Long live strange creatures.

Funny, I must have been at the same restaurant at the same time - I saw a man probably an SV himself and was intently watching these two families. Just then I saw a cockroach was coming out of its hiding near the man.

I wondered (and I think man may also have done that also ) what the cockroach was thinking. It was hiding, trying to come out and doing its ritual - is it also trying to go to heaven, only God knows. Just then the waiter came, noticed the cockroach and promptly sent it to its heaven !

LoL

I too noticed a funny looking TB sitting restlessly and watching all the people. Suddenly the TB lost interest in the homo sapiens and searched for more interesting things hiding under the table. Then she was trying to play around with a cockroach helping it twirl its long mustache and trying to hypnotize it by intently looking into its eyes. Then the waiter came, gave a quizzing look to the TB and you know what happened then. Thanks to the TB the cockroach perhaps went straight to heaven - in advance to reserve a seat for the TB who sent it there. LOL.

I too noticed a funny looking TB sitting restlessly and watching all the people. Suddenly the TB lost interest in the homo sapiens and searched for more interesting things hiding under the table. Then she was trying to play around with a cockroach helping it twirl its long mustache and trying to hypnotize it by intently looking into its eyes. Then the waiter came, gave a quizzing look to the TB and you know what happened then. Thanks to the TB the cockroach perhaps went straight to heaven - in advance to reserve a seat for the TB who sent it there. LOL.

Nothing new for TBs specifically Ayyegars to be associated with Poochi!! You have famous Poochi Ayyengar. Here it is Karapanpoochi Ayyengar! I hope Karapanpoochi is also associated with Music like poochi either by singig or by facing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back