• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஸ்ரீவைணவம் ஒரு விளக்கம்

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! How come, every other member chooses the SAME restaurant? :D

I think it is not the same restaurant I was in Sathabishekam in vaitheeswaran Koil But other have seen karapanpoochis getting Mooksham! - Could be a restaurant in Srirangam Naryana's compassion for animals is well known! Possible he could have given Mookasham to karapanpoochi as well as he did for a pachyderm!!

I think it is not the same restaurant I was in Sathabishekam in vaitheeswaran Koil But other have seen karapanpoochis getting Mooksham! - Could be a restaurant in Srirangam Naryana's compassion for animals is well known! Possible he could have given Mookasham to karapanpoochi as well as he did for a pachyderm!!

The best of Poochi"s - relating to Gajendra Mooksha!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNUnUmmzpg

Karapanpoochi or cockroach is the longest living animal in the world.

I too noticed a funny looking TB sitting restlessly and watching all the people. Suddenly the TB lost interest in the homo sapiens and searched for more interesting things hiding under the table. Then she was trying to play around with a cockroach helping it twirl its long mustache and trying to hypnotize it by intently looking into its eyes. Then the waiter came, gave a quizzing look to the TB and you know what happened then. Thanks to the TB the cockroach perhaps went straight to heaven - in advance to reserve a seat for the TB who sent it there. LOL.

Funny looking TB? I assume you did LOL then . So you watched the two couples and then wandered around looking for other females.. Narayana, Narayana ..

By the way, a-TB has only stated being of Tamil Brahmin origin living in USA, younger than typical posters here. It could be a male or female or husband & wife using one account providing both male and female perspective LoL The idea is for reader to focus on the content of a message of a-TB rather than gender !

Funny looking TB? I assume you did LOL then . So you watched the two couples and then wandered around looking for other females.. Narayana, Narayana ..

By the way, a-TB has only stated being of Tamil Brahmin origin living in USA, younger than typical posters here. It could be a male or female or husband & wife using one account providing both male and female perspective LoL The idea is for reader to focus on the content of a message of a-TB rather than gender !

a TB is just a TB. Can be any TB. a TB can be male or female. I observed a female TB. There was nothing wrong in that.

Para 2 is redundant. I reply to posts. Period.

Very true words, in my experience!

Dear Sri Sangom

Thank you for your comments.

The OP that Sri PJ kindly shared with us made me think as to why most of today's SV groups focus only on theological aspects of their particular religion (within the umbrella of Hinduism).

After all Sri Ramanuja did write Bhashya on Brahmasutra and B.Gita. It made me dig a bit again into the "seven untenable (objections)" to the prevailing understanding of Sri Sankara's explanations. In the Purvapaksha style, Sri Ramanuja in his Bhashya did state the Advita view points accurately and cogently summarized prevailing objections of his day. Sri Ramanuja's objections were fully answered including why his reasoning is not correct by many other scholars.

In Sri Sankara Bhashya when he explained the prevailing ideas of opposing views, I thought he always presented a compelling description of the other view before refuting them. In case of the Bhashya of Sri Ramanuja where he spends a large portion going over his objection, his statements seemed 'derived' views. When he refuted it seems Sri Ramanuja brought his own assumptions which is why his objections were very easily refuted.

Let me use a metaphor in science to make a point. Newton's world view of Physics is more aligned with our experience. Similarly our experience is that light, magnetism & electricity are very different. A detailed analysis show that they all arise from the same physical reality. Imagine someone who takes derived conclusion that light is an electromagnetic wave and accurately state that and then proceed to refute based on common sense experience. If one were to do that subsequent analysis will reject the objections.

The other thing that strikes me is that to reach a theological viewpoints as explained in the OP one does not need any doctrinal based discussions at all.

It is our world experience that we see our world full of enormous & limitless diversity, and unmeasurable variety in both living beings and nonliving things. To state that they are all different does not require a doctrine.

The 'seven untenable' objections raised comes from either not understanding what was described in extensive detail by Sri Sankara or it may come from a desire to reach a theological conclusion. I think it may be the later.

In any case there are no Sri Bhashya commentaries on Upanishads except an overall summary being presented . (I can be corrected if my 'facts' are wrong since I did not have benefit to directly study from Sri Bhashya). It seems the views proposed will not hold if one were to go in detail within each Upanishad. More importantly they will lead to contradictions even in my limited understanding.

My intent is not to critique any practices but simply understand how things can be so far off in understanding. The only conclusion I can reach is that understanding & knowledge is considered an impediment (understanding by mind alone is actually a valid impediment). It also appears to be an easy way out is to make Saranagathi/surrender a ritual.

What is described by Sri Krishna in Chapter 18 about this requires deep understanding and contemplation. I am talking about the often quoted verse being the only one being important in all of B.Gita

सर्वधर्मान्परित्यज्य मामेकं शरणं व्रज ।
अहं त्वा सर्वपापेभ्यो मोक्षयिष्यामि मा शुचः ॥ १८-६६॥

That is why the verse the verse is in Chapter 18 and not said as the first thing. It needs Bhakthi but not of the kind that feeds the ego with all kinds of ritualistic paraphernalia and delusional imagery.

Sri Krishna as Bhagavan has described in Chapter 2 what a miser is.

दूरेण ह्यवरं कर्म बुद्धियोगाद्धनञ्जय । बुद्धौ शरणमन्विच्छ कृपणाः फलहेतवः ॥ २-४९॥

One is a 'miser' (Kripana) because they do not use the wealth they are somehow blessed with for a want of better description. The only wealth the human birth has provided is our unique ability to be self aware and being endowed with discriminative capacity to analyze and understand. This limitless wealth is squandered away by simply not using this faculty.

The Bhakthi which seem to be a key focus area for SV is not compromised by any means and is fully consistent with the teaching implied in the above verse in Sri sankara's description.

I am surprised by the theological focus of Sri Ramanuja's teaching ignoring all other teaching available in his day.

Having said all this, I also think that a sincere Sadhaka who has 'truly' surrendered to Isvara (without fear or greed or desire to be in Vaikunta) and the person's daily activities are in alignment with "Isvara's will" is not a Kripana since they will be able to get to the true understanding with minimal effort. In that sense SV teaching can eventually lead one to the same realization but they have to realize that understanding cannot happen by rituals only.

The seriously ritualistic people of any faith do not fit the above description regardless of what rituals they may have undertaken to affirm their surrender. This includes most people I know who claim to be the genuine SV.

All, irrespective of family background (doctor, priest or advocate) did the same. Problem now is contamination, our reduced tolerance and 'enlightenment'.

TB I am sure are not Rifamyecin resistant but cannot tolerate contaminated Rifameycin with 'enlightenment'.on Kudumis etc.

Dear Sri Sangom

Let me use a metaphor in science to make a point. Newton's world view of Physics is more aligned with our experience. Similarly our experience is that light, magnetism & electricity are very different. A detailed analysis show that they all arise from the same physical reality. Imagine someone who takes derived conclusion that light is an electromagnetic wave and accurately state that and then proceed to refute based on common sense experience. If one were to do that subsequent analysis will reject the objections.

True Newton is always remembered for quantified Newtons Vidhiikal and not for some unquantied Thala Vidhi contemplating while picking up Goli Kundus on the Seashore

This has reference to post #24 by sri tks. While I am very reluctant to enter into a conversation with Sri tks, I thought I must share these thoughts with the other members of the forum and so I write this. These are just counter points to the points made in the post #24.

Human mind cannot but divide and see differences among people. The ego is too fragile and smart at the same time. It is smart to continue its existence in an 'acceptable' manner within the division it finds itself in and find ways to even feel special.

A clever play of words by an ego which thinks that it knows the situation better than others. So at best it is just an opinion. The reality may be different as explained below:

Differences among people is just natural and so it is a given situation. The ego actually tries to understand its situation in the midst of the chaos and tries to find unity with other egos. There can be several reasons for this. The first step in this effort is to know itself first. In this process of knowing at the first stage it understands its uniqueness as different from other egos around. சமனிலாதன பல பரப்பி created universe becomes an enigma wrapped in secrecy and so the first stage involves understanding the self first. The self may be called crudely as ego. The next stage is understanding the underlying cause. And that is much more complicated to understand.

So the argument that ego is fragile, that it divides and sees difference among people where no difference exists, that with a devious smartness it discovers an “acceptable”manner to feel special etc., is disputed. It is just an opinion while the truth appears to be different.

For example, people in various countries talk about how patriotic they are. Politicians love to drape themselves in the flag in order to show how much they love their country.

Patriotism is not such an easy open and shut case. The individual selves in a society (let us call this group 1) needs patriotism as a tool to bind themselves together against an enemy grouping(group 2) which may perhaps want to destroy the group 1 or overwhelm it. So patriotism per se is not bad or a machination of a crafty egotist self.

So the example taken to prove a point is a bad example. There is no provable equivalence.

Similarly "devotees" love to surround themselves in a ritualistic fashion to their chosen God to feel special to their God/Goddess.

A bad conclusion drawn from a bad example. Devotees just love their God. As time is an entity which is unidirectional and irreversible, and as there is no escape from this entity as long as we live in this world, repeated expression of love appears as a repetitive monotonous ritual for the uninitiated. To say that a devotee “feels special” about his bhakti reveals a certain uncalled for sarcasm. Every individual feels special for so many reasons. So even if this bhakti makes him feel special as against one without bhakti, nothing objectionable there.

So the argument that “Similarly……..” is refuted because there is no similarity whatsoever between the first example and the last example.

A "true Muslim" has definition of what it means to be one and feels affirmed in his/her ego position. A christian thinks he or she is a true christian based on his own definition.

This is an untenable argument. While there may be Muslims who have known only the Islam and nothing about any other religion, there may also be many Muslims who have taken pains to understand and study the other schools of thought and finally conclude that it is enough to be a Muslim. Similarly in the case of Christians. To club all of them together and put them in the category of those who smartly identifies themselves in a convenient group because of a stupid ego is intellectual arrogance-to put it mildly. The definition of a true muslim and a true Christian is not something coined by the individual muslim and Christian. To say so is the outcome of an arrogant mindset. At best one can say only this that the less informed muslim/Christian is an egotist and the well informed muslim/Christian is indeed a muslim/Christian.

The only thing common among these definitions is that they help to bolster the fragile ego of a person by enabling a feeling of being closer to their God. That leads to a delusional thinking that they are doing Gods command.

Again the presumption that ego is fragile is just an opinion. There can be complete voluntary and deliberate effacing of ego and surrender to God for those who believe in God. There is neither any delusion nor any obeying of a command for well informed people. The surrender is voluntary after a lot of searching around for an alternate solution including the merger with universal consciousness that is found to be born out of the greed of a super ego.

By observing ritualistic discipline they may be both sincere and greedy at the same time. They want a seat in heaven after death. ( whatever heaven called in their religion).

A complete misunderstanding of the facts. What is called ritualistic discipline is repeated expression of love for God. When a child goes to school reluctantly you give it a kiss to reassure him. When he comes back from school and gives you a bear hug again you give him a kiss to share his happiness. Would you call kissing a ritualistic discipline to ensure a place in the child’s heart? And for one who has surrendered there is no worry about a seat in heaven or hell after death. It is only the Jeevan mukthas who are bothered about the nissangatvam, nirmohatvam, nischala tatvam etc., to get moksham by one’s own efforts through all these steps. And for them the ego stays in tact even in Universal consciousness and so it is a hollow experience.

A person who cares deeply about welfare of others regardless of who they are and cares about all beings in general, is a true 'devotee'. Such people can come from any grouping including from SV background in my experience.

Welfare of others is a very lose term. I think it is enough if one lives one’s own life with a certain discipline without harming anyone/anything else in the society. The other souls will take care of themselves. Even the stipulation that one should ”care deeply” about others is indicative of an egotist’s dilemma. Who is he to care for others deeply? If deeply, how deeply? Do the “others” need his caring? These are questions which will make an egotist feel “naked” and searching for answers endlessly. As I am an SV I can tell this: a SV lives his life without causing harm to others, with a certain discipline, with never ending (non episodal) love for God after surrendering to God. And even in this uttara krityam (post surrender life in this world) he seeks the grace of God not to falter.

However those steeped into rituals feeding their ego are not likely to relate to what I have stated here. This post is not against any group including the SV group.

That this post is not against any group is well undertood. And SVs would not care even if it is against them. But the first sentence above makes it the pronouncements from the tower/mount of Babel. “Those who are thought to be steeped in rituals feeding their ego will not be able to relate to this lecture” is a pre-empting pronouncement. You have already condemned them to be ignorant. And it is interesting and makes me wonder whether I have wasted my time writing down this post. Well, there are intelligent/well informed other members who may understand and that is the consolation and saving grace.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom

Thank you for your comments.

The OP that Sri PJ kindly shared with us made me think as to why most of today's SV groups focus only on theological aspects of their particular religion (within the umbrella of Hinduism).

< clipped >

The seriously ritualistic people of any faith do not fit the above description regardless of what rituals they may have undertaken to affirm their surrender. This includes most people I know who claim to be the genuine SV.

Dear Shri tks,

What you have written is intelligible to me. But I am no scholar either in advaita or Visishtadvaita, and so I do not feel it will be appropriate for me to give any opinion or comment on the various points contained in your post.

My five year association with this forum has taught me very many invaluable lessons. You will probably remember the discussion on the inadequacies/lacunae in Advaita (a thread started by me, long ago); at that time my view of advaita was very different from what it is today. In fact, that thread and the discussions which KRS, yourself etc., had (with me), made me read and contemplate more and more about Advaita and, at some point, it dawned on me as to what Shankara might have actually meant!

If a layman's views will be of any use, and taking the example of Newtonian world view vs Einsteinian relativity, it requires the readiness to accept that the world view which we humans usually get (through our sense organs, intellect, mind and our own personal preferences, etc.) need not necessarily be the Real Truth. Once this readiness is there, I feel it will be easier to appreciate and understand Advaita.

At the risk of inviting (usually nasty) rejoinders from some of our Aasthaana Vaishnavas, it is my view that Ramanuja probably considered this world to be the absolute Truth and a human-like Vishnu as the most Supreme Godhead; perhaps he wanted a "faith" system suited to all the people since the Vaishnava cult had already some following from the lower castes. The tiff which Ramanuja had with his guru Yadava Prakasa over the "tasya yathaa kapyaasam pundareekam evam akshinee", might have added to Ramanuja's newfound zeal to prove YP and, hence, Advaita as wrong and faulty.

The only good thing as far as we humans are concerned, is that the universe follows its own hidden laws and all these theologies (Advaita, Visishtadvaita, Dvaita) may all be wrong completely and we are all probably living in different kinds of fools' paradises and making this samsaara continue unabated!

Sangom sirji,

Dear Shri tks,
What you have written is...............If a layman's views will be of any use, and taking the example of Newtonian world view vs Einsteinian relativity, it requires the readiness to accept that the world view which we humans usually get (through our sense organs, intellect, mind and our own personal preferences, etc.) need not necessarily be the Real Truth. Once this readiness is there, I feel it will be easier to appreciate and understand Advaita.

It would have been meaningful if you had said "Once this readiness is there, I feel it will be easier to appreciate and understand reality whatever it is". But that was not to be. You said "Once this readiness is there, I feel it will be easier to appreciate and understand Advaita" and that shows your drawing yourself into your cocoon again. And that takes away from you the bias free inquiry of a Jijnasu. And it is precisely this that makes you shoot a few barbs against the "Aasthaana Vaishnavas" whoever they are.

At the risk of inviting (usually nasty) rejoinders from some of our Aasthaana Vaishnavas, it is my view that Ramanuja probably considered this world to be the absolute Truth and a human-like Vishnu as the most Supreme Godhead; perhaps he wanted a "faith" system suited to all the people since the Vaishnava cult had already some following from the lower castes. The tiff which Ramanuja had with his guru Yadava Prakasa over the "tasya yathaa kapyaasam pundareekam evam akshinee", might have added to Ramanuja's newfound zeal to prove YP and, hence, Advaita as wrong and faulty.

Why stop with that? What made the same Yadavaprakasa become a student of Ramanuja later? Do you conclude that all other systems of thought were exclusively brahminical and SV came as a fresh breath to the people? Please clarify.

The only good thing as far as we humans are concerned, is that the universe follows its own hidden laws and all these theologies (Advaita, Visishtadvaita, Dvaita) may all be wrong completely and we are all probably living in different kinds of fools' paradises and making this samsaara continue unabated!

Very true.

Dear Shri tks,What you have written is intelligible to me. But I am no scholar either in advaita or Visishtadvaita, and so I do not feel it will be appropriate for me to give any opinion or comment on the various points contained in your post.My five year association with this forum has taught me very many invaluable lessons. You will probably remember the discussion on the inadequacies/lacunae in Advaita (a thread started by me, long ago); at that time my view of advaita was very different from what it is today. In fact, that thread and the discussions which KRS, yourself etc., had (with me), made me read and contemplate more and more about Advaita and, at some point, it dawned on me as to what Shankara might have actually meant!If a layman's views will be of any use, and taking the example of Newtonian world view vs Einsteinian relativity, it requires the readiness to accept that the world view which we humans usually get (through our sense organs, intellect, mind and our own personal preferences, etc.) need not necessarily be the Real Truth. Once this readiness is there, I feel it will be easier to appreciate and understand Advaita.At the risk of inviting (usually nasty) rejoinders from some of our Aasthaana Vaishnavas, it is my view that Ramanuja probably considered this world to be the absolute Truth and a human-like Vishnu as the most Supreme Godhead; perhaps he wanted a "faith" system suited to all the people since the Vaishnava cult had already some following from the lower castes. The tiff which Ramanuja had with his guru Yadava Prakasa over the "tasya yathaa kapyaasam pundareekam evam akshinee", might have added to Ramanuja's newfound zeal to prove YP and, hence, Advaita as wrong and faulty. The only good thing as far as we humans are concerned, is that the universe follows its own hidden laws and all these theologies (Advaita, Visishtadvaita, Dvaita) may all be wrong completely and we are all probably living in different kinds of fools' paradises and making this samsaara continue unabated!
Dear Sri Sangom
I know over time your views have evolved which is natural for anyone who places thinking over blind beliefs. You also have been always bold to share your view points.

When I write in an open forum I do not expect agreement but a willingness to understand (even without agreement), engage in a professional discussion with a view to understand truth and be open for new ideas.

Even by naming truth we seek by any means actually objectifies it and puts it in same footing as many other non-truths.

Rituals can help promote a culture and religion to prosper in a meaningful manner but superstition as the basis will destroy it. Though you may not think much of Sri Vivekananda, some of his words hit hard at some issues. When I come across those steeped in theology surrounding themselves with all kinds of ritualistic items and exhibiting fragile ego ready to pick a fight at the drop of a hat, all I can think of is this quote from Sri Vivekananda

"I would rather have every one of you be rank atheists than superstitious fools. There is no mystery in religion. Mystery mongering and superstition are always signs of weakness. These are always signs of degradation and of death. Therefore beware of them; be strong, and stand on your own feet."

The mystery mongering is often replaced often with 'how God loves you, he removes your sin ' , why you should love God and prove to him you love him every second etc.. The assumption is that someone who created this cosmos is waiting for these people who have apparent existence for a speck of time to come and love him and surrender to him.

The other assumption is that if you do not do that you cannot get a seat next to him after death! Vision of Isvara and Love as taught in Upanishad and compellingly made obvious by Sri Sankara is far from this kind of delusion.

Let me share one closing thought though I am not seeking agreement again.

It is hard to understand nature. A law of science gets improved upon by the next law that gets discovered. One can never see the end of it. Today there are theoretical proposals that appear to be unverifiable by laws of limitations imposed by nature itself at a fundamental level (like parallel universes that are in 'different space and time').

The quest to understand nature will never cease for humans and it will never be fully discovered.

Certain truths like those about our true nature and that of Isvara as expounded in the Upanishads are also subject to understanding only and not belief.

What is popularly called Advita is only about absolute truth, and it is subject to understanding by humans (and not realm of belief meaning it is not a theology). When one begins the preparations to understand they will realize that this truth is the final word.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Writer Balakumaran on Sanatana Dharmam

But sanatana dharma has shrunk both in geographical spread and in followers. More decrepit temples, stone inscriptions and sculptures are discovered in vietnam, cambodia, myanmar and in west islamic countries too. Survival cannot be taken for granted.

சனாதன தர்மம் பற்றி பாலகுமாரன்
இது தான் முடிவு என்று சனாதன தர்மம் சொல்லவில்லை. இவர்தான் கடவுள் என்று சனாதன தர்மம் நிறுத்திக்கொள்ளவில்லை. இங்கே வந்து வணங்கு என்று உங்கள் பிரார்த்தனையை ஒரு முடிவுக்குக் கொண்டுவரவில்லை. இந்த மந்திரம் சொன்னால் போதும் எல்லாமும் சரியாகும் என்ற வாக்குறுதியைத் தரவில்லை. அதனால்தான் இந்து மதத்தில் இத்தனை கோவில்கள். இத்தனை ஸ்வாமிகள். இத்தனை விக்ரகங்கள். இத்தனை வழிமுறைகள். இந்த மந்திரம் போதுமா? இல்லை. இதற்கு அப்பாலும் இருக்கிறது. அதை நான் கண்டுபிடித்திருக்கிறேன். இந்த தெய்வம் போதுமா? இல்லை. இது இப்படி இருக்கிறது. இப்படி இருந்தால் முடியாது. அப்படி இருந்தால் நடக்கும். அந்த சக்தியே பெரியது.

பிரம்மா, விஷ்ணு, சிவன் என்று பல்வேறு விதமான சக்திகளை உணர்ந்து உள்ளுக்குள்ளே அனுபவித்து அந்த சக்தியைக் கடவுளாகச் சொல்ல, அதைவிட இது, இதை விட அது என்று படிப்படியாக வளர்ந்துகொண்டிருக்கிறது. இடையறாத தேடலாக இருக்கிறது. இருட்டில், பெரும் கானகத்தில் எங்கே, எங்கே வாழ்க்கை, எங்கே கடவுள் என்று அலைந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறது. அது சொன்னதைத் திருப்பிக் கொண்டு சொல்லவில்லை. சொல்லுக்கு அப்பால் என்ன இருக்கிறது என்று பார்க்கிறது.

சனாதன தர்மம் கடவுள் என்ற விஷயத்தை முடித்துவிடவில்லை. அதுபற்றி எப்படியும் சொல்ல முடியவில்லையே என்ற ஏக்கத்தோடு, விளக்க முடியவில்லையே என்ற வருத்தம் வளர்ந்துகொண்டிருக்கிறது. மற்ற மதங்களை விட சனாதன தர்மம் என்கிற இந்து மதம் எதனாலும் அழியாததற்கு இந்தத் தேடல் காரணம்.

எத்தனை பேர் முஸ்லிம்களாக மாறினாலும், எத்தனை பேர் கிறிஸ்துவர்களாக மாறினாலும், யாரெல்லாம் புத்த மதத்தைத் தழுவினாலும் இந்து மதத்தின் வலிமை குறையவே இல்லை. ஏனெனில் வலிமை என்பது எண்ணிக்கையில் இல்லை. கொள்கையில் இருக்கிறது. கொள்கை என்பது இந்து மதத் கடவுள் தேடலில் இருக்கிறது. கடவுள் தேடல் முற்றுப் பெறுதலே அல்ல. அது விதம்விதமாக வெளியே வந்துகொண்டிருக்கும். முற்றுப்பெற்றவை எண்ணிக்கையைத்தான் வளர்த்துக்கொண்டிருக்கும்.
பாலகுமாரன்
எழுத்தாளர்
Thanks to Bala Kumaran

FB source.

Rituals can help promote a culture and religion to prosper in a meaningful manner but superstition as the basis will destroy it. Though you may not think much of Sri Vivekananda, some of his words hit hard at some issues. When I come across those steeped in theology surrounding themselves with all kinds of ritualistic items and exhibiting fragile ego ready to pick a fight at the drop of a hat, all I can think of is this quote from Sri Vivekananda

"I would rather have every one of you be rank atheists than superstitious fools. There is no mystery in religion. Mystery mongering and superstition are always signs of weakness. These are always signs of degradation and of death. Therefore beware of them; be strong, and stand on your own feet."

I think the above essay has been written from personal opinions. Therefore I feel inclined to comment on the above paragraph.

All those practices and procedures within Hinduism that have a Shastric explanation do not fall in the category of 'superstitions'. They are truly rituals with benefit (spiritual, psychological, material) attached to them.

The way I would see a person who is ritualistic but very short-tempered is:

1. The person has atleast 1 good habit - following the rituals.

2. If he keeps at it, and does not give up midway, he may reach to the point of outgrowing his temper and by the grace of almighty earned by the power of his pujas, will become a peaceful person.

BTW: There are also so many sadhus, sants and saints of Hinduism who have outgrown their desirous nature by practicing daily pujas, rituals and spiritualism. They are essentially very peaceful persons.

Dear Sri Sangom

True Newton is always remembered for quantified Newtons Vidhiikal and not for some unquantied Thala Vidhi contemplating while picking up Goli Kundus on the Seashore

Smt Janaki - Not sure I understood your comment fully.
For the fellow who is picking up Goli Kundus on the sea shore I am not sure what any one can do unless he is looking for ways of removing his sorrow.

If I see someone like that, my respect for him is not for him wasting his time but due to the truth that his real nature is no different from truth of who I am.

If the person wants to remove his sorrow, then the prescription is not for him to go and fall on some temple deities' feet. Instead he can easily be taught by a qualified teacher - what Sri Krishna teaches as the starting point in B.Gita - which is the meaning of Karma Yoga.

Karma yoga is not obviously about someone doing free service to some organization or person. It is about an attitude which anyone can understand if taught properly.

How does one find a 'qualified teacher' ? In my limited experience there is truth in the statement that 'qualified teacher appears when a sincere student is ready'.
How will a person become ready - well, he will need some initial grace from Isvara :) I know it is a bit cyclical ....

I am simply sharing my thoughts based on what I understood from your comments.

==============
PS: I have had difficulty accessing this site, not sure why. Sri Praveen has been helping. The technical issue has been interesting but not resolved. Sometimes I am able to access and to understand the root cause I have been trying to log in more often.

I think the above essay has been written from personal opinions. Therefore I feel inclined to comment on the above paragraph.

All those practices and procedures within Hinduism that have a Shastric explanation do not fall in the category of 'superstitions'. They are truly rituals with benefit (spiritual, psychological, material) attached to them.

The way I would see a person who is ritualistic but very short-tempered is:

1. The person has atleast 1 good habit - following the rituals.

2. If he keeps at it, and does not give up midway, he may reach to the point of outgrowing his temper and by the grace of almighty earned by the power of his pujas, will become a peaceful person.

BTW: There are also so many sadhus, sants and saints of Hinduism who have outgrown their desirous nature by practicing daily pujas, rituals and spiritualism. They are essentially very peaceful persons.

Smt JR

I do not follow most of the posts. Whatever little I have read of what you write, I know you are sincere in your worship and rituals. I have nothing against rituals.

Even Sri Vivekananda in many lectures has talked about the greatness of rituals for a religious tradition.

Let me share a thought responding to that notion that what is prescribed in Shastras (Vedas?) must be right.

There are far too many rituals prescribed in Vedas - some include animal sacrifices too !

There are contradictory messages in Puranic stories and seemingly contradictory messages in Vedas too.

The knowledge section of Vedas (upanishads) completely negates (not reject) all the prescriptions of previous sections.

In B.Gita, Sri Krishna's teaching is fully aligned with only the knowledge section of Vedas.

Given all this, the central question is about one's motivation for undertaking any ritual.

It is about what goes on in our mind which only we know when we are totally sincere and honest to ourselves. Based on what that motive is, a ritual could be considered superstitious.

A good understanding will make rituals become more important in one's life while eliminating the superstitious aspects.

Thank you for this explanation, tks Sir!

I have become very curious upon reading your reply to know more about those practices (rituals) that are considered incorrect in modern terms, such as animal sacrifices. I'm not knowledgeable enough to write/list them out. I hope some day some member will write about them.

BTW: I too like Swami Vivekananda very much!

Thank you for this explanation, tks Sir!

I have become very curious upon reading your reply to know more about those practices (rituals) that are considered incorrect in modern terms, such as animal sacrifices. I'm not knowledgeable enough to write/list them out. I hope some day some member will write about them.

BTW: I too like Swami Vivekananda very much!

Dear Smt JR - I have had issues accessing this website for some reason, and not sure if others have issues. I have been checking this site often and found you had replied.

I am not knowledgeable about rituals either except a few and there are too many in our scriptures. It is not about what is right and wrong in my view.

Rather, the real question is about our reasons to do undertake any ritual.

If you are doing daily Pooja for example by all means continue. The only question then is your reason for doing daily Pooja for example.

You may do Archana at your Lakshmi temple or do some other 'rituals' - those are all fine, but then what is your motivation and how well is it aligned with your vision for life.

When you answer these to your satisfaction there will be significant clarity in how you relate to Isvara.

In earlier post I was citing a verse from B.Gita to show that we are endowed with power to understand and reason (Viveka). It is priceless and endowed only in human life form. If one squanders that, it is the greatest act of being a miser according to Sri Krishna. He says Phalahethavaha , one whose motivation is driven by rewards is a miser. There is a lot to be said how this is tied to viveka because we cannot undertake any action however trivial without a goal in mind and yet focus on goal is considered to be an act of a miser.

Asking questions and getting clarity need not reduce your Bhakthi or love for Isvara. But not asking questions and not having clarity or having wrong reasons makes a ritual useless and even not right (leading to harm and superstition).

My suggestion is to enquire and continue your quest to learn rather than accept simply because something is told to be in our scriptures or interpreted so by an Acharya.

Regards

Smt JR

The knowledge section of Vedas (upanishads) completely negates (not reject) all the prescriptions of previous sections.

In B.Gita, Sri Krishna's teaching is fully aligned with only the knowledge section of Vedas.

Sri TKs,

The emphasis on **completely** is mine.

You have said that the knowledge section completely negates the prescriptions of previous sections more than once.

Here are just about 15 lines of Taittiriya Aranyaka which I suppose negates your notion that all other sections of vedas are negated by upaniSad portion.

nAma nAma iva nAmamE
napumsakam pumAn stree asmi
sthAvarO asmi aTha jangamaH
anUbanDho asmi aham viBhuH

paSyat akshNvAn na vichetata andaH

andaH maNim avindhath
tam angulirAvayath
agreevaH pratyamunchyath
tam ajihvA asaschatha

UrDhvam mUlam vAk Sakam
vruksham yah veda samprathi.

mruthyH mA mArayAditi

naitamrushim vidhitvA nagaram praviSeth
yadhi praviSeth
mithou charitvA pravisheth

These are just a few mantras from one chapter.

It is impossible for the upaniSads to negate these averments because these are just expanded in the upaniSads.

I hope you will modify your statement regarding complete negation in future posts.

When IsavAsya upaniSad itself is in the samhitA portion of Sukla yajurveda portion, how can it completely negate the other samhitA portions?

Regards

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom

When I come across those steeped in theology surrounding themselves with all kinds of ritualistic items and exhibiting fragile ego ready to pick a fight at the drop of a hat, all I can think of is this quote from Sri Vivekananda

Such characterizations are patently bad. One should also reflect on the **ego** of Yajnavalkya when he asked the king to send the 1000 cows to his home, even before the start of the debate appearing in the BrihadAranyaka upaniSad or on the anger and impatience of vAjashrava in giving his own son Nachiketa to yamA as mentioned in kaThOpaniSad.

Dear TKS ji,

The purpose of us taking birth is 2-fold according to me: to enjoy karmaphala according to good and bad deeds, and hence 'give in to desire' on some accounts and to 'undergo further spiritual progress' which means 'overcoming some other desires'.

Therefore, the true purpose of my worship is also 2-fold: to ask for satiation of some normal desires like health and welfare of near and dear ones, and to practice worship for personal enjoyment with an intent to overcome desires to some extent.

Thus I do namasankirtan, sing and cook for the Lord and divine mother. I do this everyday so that it has become a habit for me and it is like taking bath or breathing. I feel dull without it on days I do not pray. I also volunteer at Sri Lakshmi Temple to cook on the weekends. Since I cook well, I see this as a seva to the Lord by feeding his devotees.

In Kaliyuga, simple recitation of Lord's name is said to bring infinite peace and bliss. I will surely be benefitted from seeing an acharya if I can, but I am striving hard to accomplish without...

Sri TKs,

The emphasis on **completely** is mine.

You have said that the knowledge section completely negates the prescriptions of previous sections more than once.

Here are just about 15 lines of Taittiriya Aranyaka which I suppose negates your notion that all other sections of vedas are negated by upaniSad portion.

nAma nAma iva nAmamE
napumsakam pumAn stree asmi
sthAvarO asmi aTha jangamaH
anUbanDho asmi aham viBhuH

paSyat akshNvAn na vichetata andaH

andaH maNim avindhath
tam angulirAvayath
agreevaH pratyamunchyath
tam ajihvA asaschatha

UrDhvam mUlam vAk Sakam
vruksham yah veda samprathi.

mruthyH mA mArayAditi

naitamrushim vidhitvA nagaram praviSeth
yadhi praviSeth
mithou charitvA pravisheth

These are just a few mantras from one chapter.

It is impossible for the upaniSads to negate these averments because these are just expanded in the upaniSads.

I hope you will modify your statement regarding complete negation in future posts.

When IsavAsya upaniSad itself is in the samhitA portion of Sukla yajurveda portion, how can it completely negate the other samhitA portions?

Regards

Sri Narayan

In another thread I was trying to engage with you when you went into silence without proper closure to all the questions I asked you. If you had said you do not know that would be fine or if you said you do not want to engage that would have been fine too.

You have to be truly interested in detailed discussions for me to engage.

I cannot engage in another such discussion with you, sorry.

I used the expression 'negate but not reject' and I explained what I meant by it in other posts using even metaphors from Science.

That might provide a resolution to your specific question.

Dear TKS ji,

The purpose of us taking birth is 2-fold according to me: to enjoy karmaphala according to good and bad deeds, and hence 'give in to desire' on some accounts and to 'undergo further spiritual progress' which means 'overcoming some other desires'.

Therefore, the true purpose of my worship is also 2-fold: to ask for satiation of some normal desires like health and welfare of near and dear ones, and to practice worship for personal enjoyment with an intent to overcome desires to some extent.

Thus I do namasankirtan, sing and cook for the Lord and divine mother. I do this everyday so that it has become a habit for me and it is like taking bath or breathing. I feel dull without it on days I do not pray. I also volunteer at Sri Lakshmi Temple to cook on the weekends. Since I cook well, I see this as a seva to the Lord by feeding his devotees.

In Kaliyuga, simple recitation of Lord's name is said to bring infinite peace and bliss. I will surely be benefitted from seeing an acharya if I can, but I am striving hard to accomplish without...

Dear Smt JR

Since both my children do PhD at MIT we do visit the area. We have been to Lakshmi temple and enjoyed Puliyodharai etc. May be you cooked it, and thank you. Sometimes we have gone to 'Dosa temple' in the same town afterwards :) O

If you feel tranquility and peace with your activities and rituals there is no reason for anyone including me to question them. You are not the kind of ritualist I was alluding to in other posts earlier.

However the model you have expressed is not in alignment with what is taught in B.Gita & upanishads. Even when one explores the genesis of sorrow one can understand why the model will not work in the long run.

Having said that I can say that your rituals have a way of purification of your mind and is in the right direction. I hope you do have the grace to have natural opportunities to focus on the knowledge section of Vedas in the future.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back