• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பிராமண பாஷை யில் "ஓய்"

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
i heard many times in singular short names....especially love marriage boys/gals.....generally IT gals do use short names....

Couples calling each other in singular short / pet names / Day / Di etc. ......... exhibit more of their intimacy / love / affection?

Regarding B bashai influences by NB socialization, I do feel that many TBs opt Madras slang just to avoid mockery or standing out. This innocent escapist attitude becomes a habit over a period of time and it slowly becomes the norm. I use TB slang when it is only among TBs, family, gosthi, temple events, naal kezahamai etc. When I am out in the social jungle, I tend to use English and Tanglish combination more often rather than shuttling between B tamil and NB tamil. Voi is the B version of Yoov which is mostly used in outside of our homes. I still feel the tendency to like Crazy mohan and Sve sekar comedy in conjunction with slang and colloquial comedy of Goundamani, Santhanam etc, has highly influenced the classic Brahmin wit, which is unique by itself.
If Bs do not regularly socialize with other Bs in a cultural setting that is representative of our culture, even Bashai would become viewed as outdated and elitist and unnecessary within our own community.
The root cause for everything is the shunning of Sanskrit and Dharmic lifestyle. We are now in rajo-tamo society with mindless pursuit of material wealth and relative morality that justifies greed and lust in the western world. IMHO losing Bashai is probably not the bigger issue. If we go to Southern pockets, many Bs using slang Tamil only. Outside of folks who live close to temples or once who used to live n TB pockets like Mylapore, Triplicane etc. many Bs use mix of Madras slang and B paribashai.

I myself not using these using these words often, unless i speak to my elders, due to the fact that many started teasing in my school and college. during the course, I tend to use that within my family and same aged relatives!...

Small gaps in usage, lead to a big gap now!! :Cry:

இது கிட்டத்தட்ட வழக்கு ஒழிந்து விட்டது என்று சொல்லலாம். ஆனால் 60 அல்லது 70 வயதுக்கு மேற்பட்ட பல கிராமத்துப் பெரியவர்கள் தங்களுக்கு நெருங்கியவர்களோடு அவ்வாறு பேசுவதுக் காணலாம். வெளி இடங்களில் பலரும் பிராமண பாஷையை இன்று தவிர்த்து வருகின்றனர். இளசுகள் பெரும்பாலான சமயங்களில் சில சங்கடங்களைத் தவிர்க்க ஆங்கிலத்திலேயே பேசிவிடுகின்றனர்.

பிராமண dress has gone!
பிராமண life style has gone!!
பிராமண culture has gone!!!
பிராமண religious functions are all done in haste!!!!
Intercaste marriages with NBs are becoming the order of the day!!!!!
பிராமண பாஷை becomes பெருங்காய வாசனை in the EMPTY BOX!!!!!!

Last edited:
My comments in Blue:

பிராமண dress has gone!
The dress exists in movies - sometimes for 'kuththu dance'!

Now a days, the new trend is to dress up in a traditional way, with long plait + kunjalam, neththi chutti, vangi, oddiyANam

jimikki, mAttal etc along with madisAr saree, in many brahmin weddings; mAmis, athais and naththanAr wear this costume!

பிராமண life style has gone!! Made fun of in movies.

Yes, almost!

Loukeekam has overtaken Vaideekam.

Mostly, one of the couple will be a brahmin even in IR weddings!

But mocked in movies! :sad:

My comments in Blue:

பிராமண dress has gone!
The dress exists in movies - sometimes for 'kuththu dance'!

Now a days, the new trend is to dress up in a traditional way, with long plait + kunjalam, neththi chutti, vangi, oddiyANam

jimikki, mAttal etc along with madisAr saree, in many brahmin weddings; mAmis, athais and naththanAr wear this costume!

பிராமண life style has gone!! Made fun of in movies.

Yes, almost!

Loukeekam has overtaken Vaideekam.

Mostly, one of the couple will be a brahmin even in IR weddings!

But mocked in movies! :sad:

What is the word or phrase that best describes this!

CULTURAL GENOCIDE

In the name of embracing modernity many of our TB brethren have taken to Brahmin bashing in the print media! A community dies a slow death!!

CULTURAL GENOCIDE

In the name of embracing modernity many of our TB brethren have taken to Brahmin bashing in the print media! A community dies a slow death!!
In a way, we have to honestly admit that " this death " in course of time, is inevitable.

CULTURAL GENOCIDE

hi

who is responsible for this GENOCIDE....INSIDER? OR OUTSIDER?.....SOMEBODY MUST TAKE THIS RESPONSIVILITY...

hi

who is responsible for this GENOCIDE....INSIDER? OR OUTSIDER?.....SOMEBODY MUST TAKE THIS RESPONSIVILITY...

For cultural genocide we can't single out anybody and blame.
It is not an individuals work, to fix responsibility.
Everybody(including myself) is responsible in one way or other.

Why inevitable?

Where there is a good will, there is a great way!

The culture of a society naturally dwindle down in course of time.

The major changes ......... good / bad, are taking place in fast manner, during our life time.

Everybody with pursuit of material wealth, is taken away by the tide of change on its way with sway.

It is inevitable in the sense, one could not stop the tide of cultural change with individual effort on his own.
All "revolutions" in history, have happened of course with the combined effort of all.

All the revolutions have evolved for getting "some change" and not against change and restoration of heritage.

Cultural change is not a temple car, for everybody to assemble together and pull it in the laid down path.

This cultural change is sweeping away the society by time and tide (pursuit of material wealth) in a major way.

The world has changed a lot! Education and earning power gives more freedom and the youngster take their decisions by

themselves or with the help of their friends. I shall give an example.

In a group of people who studied in an university, everyone got married except two of them. One is a brahmin whose parents

are very orthodox; another is a half Hindu half Muslim! The friends suggested to them to get married and live happily, since

they know each other for three years. Girl's parents had no problem in accepting the decision because they were I R couple.

The guy proceeded with the marriage, much against the wish of his parents. Most of his cousins supported him and some

attended the marriage too, without any hesitation to bless the couple.

So, the strong will is ONLY for I C and I R marriages. :hug:

The culture of a society naturally dwindle down in course of time.

The major changes ......... good / bad, are taking place in fast manner, during our life time.

Everybody with pursuit of material wealth, is taken away by the tide of change on its way with sway.

It is inevitable in the sense, one could not stop the tide of cultural change with individual effort on his own.
All "revolutions" in history, have happened of course with the combined effort of all.

All the revolutions have evolved for getting "some change" and not against change and restoration of heritage.

Cultural change is not a temple car, for everybody to assemble together and pull it in the laid down path.

This cultural change is sweeping away the society by time and tide (pursuit of material wealth) in a major way.

If we have to protect our culture then we have to be together similar to the Muslims or similar to the way we lived in Agraharams.y Are we ready for that?

How many of our youngsters are devoted to Brahminism?

The more we move away from Brahministic way of life the more we will cut our umbilical cord with our community!

We will need support of the other communities also for this....

We already have Hindu organizations such as VHP, RSS, Hindu Munnani who will support us! Only we have to take the initiative

We have to overcome fear and the militant Hindu organizations will help us to surge ahead despite the obstacles!

Otherwise we have to face ridicule in society!

Dear Ganesh,

I understand your dismay! But please think over how many brahmins who are senior citizens opt to live like brahmins? Most of

them don't even know how to wear the traditional panchakaccham dhoti! They run to the sAsthrigaLs for help. Daily rituals are

not followed and the srAddhams are done in the shortest way possible. Some mAmAs even mock at the others who are orthodox.

That is the fact.

Following madi and AchAram is difficult now a days since women folk also have to extend their helping had to earn money. We

have one girl in our family circle who follows the 'three days leave' funda. Her husband finds it difficult to manage his office work

and the chores at home every month and often calls his mother to help him!

Why should senior citizen live like brahmins?

They should live live in a way that makes life comfortable for them.

If they have to give up on dress style or rituals or compromise on them, it is understandable.

Their daily rituals do not cover even bath on cold days{ what does one do in blizzard like conditions and cold wave?}

They prefer to wear track suits which stay in place than slipping dhoties

I know many who instead of performing shraddham elaborately , compromise and give rice , dal and money to sastrigal.

All this madi, acharams are a dying customs not fit for working career women.

Those who do not realise the need for change are likely to suffer and cause pain to others around them.

The changes to our culture is mainly attributable to the present education system. Most children or our community are convent educated, time devoted to learn culture is negligible. It is not their fault either. The commitment required in present education is such that they don't even get time to anything else. People basically of rural origin are still able to manage to maintain our culture and old practices compared to their cities based counterparts. In cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta etc., children in our house holds not even speak Tamil, they communicate in the local language Hindi, Bengali etc. and most of our parents doesn't mind it as well. Special efforts needs to be taken by us to keep our traditions alive.

The changes to our culture is mainly attributable to the present education system. Most children or our community are convent educated, time devoted to learn culture is negligible. It is not their fault either. The commitment required in present education is such that they don't even get time to anything else. People basically of rural origin are still able to manage to maintain our culture and old practices compared to their cities based counterparts. In cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta etc., children in our house holds not even speak Tamil, they communicate in the local language Hindi, Bengali etc. and most of our parents doesn't mind it as well. Special efforts needs to be taken by us to keep our traditions alive.
If customs, rituals do not meet the need of modern times , these need to change.
Why not?

The above are meant to facilitate life not complicate living.

Many of these religeous practices would have suited the times when it was evolved.

If customs and beliefs do not change to accomodate the present day requirements, It will become a dead religion in course of time.

Every religion requires reforms periodically.

That includes hindu religion also.

Do we practise sati?

Do women shave their heads on becoming a widow?

There are so many abhorrent practices which have been given up due to modern education and actions of social reformers.

We require review of our customs and practices to change and give up those which do not meet present day needs.

If customs, rituals do not meet the need of modern times , these need to change.
Why not?

The above are meant to facilitate life not complicate living.

Many of these religeous practices would have suited the times when it was evolved.

If customs and beliefs do not change to accomodate the present day requirements, It will become a dead religion in course of time.

Every religion requires reforms periodically.

That includes hindu religion also.

Do we practise sati?

Do women shave their heads on becoming a widow?

There are so many abhorrent practices which have been given up due to modern education and actions of social reformers.

We require review of our customs and practices to change and give up those which do not meet present day needs.

Are you ready to give up being a Brahmin...Are you ready to have your children embrace another religion?

Let us set an example! Let us do our best to protect Brahminism!

I am using the word Brahminism to indicate the rituals and traditions! I feel proud to be a Brahmin! Our Community has given up many practices which are demeaning! Let us now march forward!!

Otherwise as I have said in many posts we will be like the forgotten Parsis!

Vganeji
I have given up most of the outward signs of brahminism atleast in attire or caste signs .

I try to keep way from most rituals.

I do not judge people by their caste .

I have pride but that is not due to the caste I belong to.

I bond easily with anyone without caring too much about his caste.

I did not find out caste of a close tamil friend of 35 years.

Only when I had to attend a wedding with him, my wife found from his wife that he was a mudaliar.

If one lives in a northern metro where all south of vindhyas are madrasis, these classifications based on caste makes no sense.

What does brahminism mean to me?

Nothing much except I was born as one

From the various comments,views, suggestions made by most of the members of this forum,we have to sum up that we do not want to call ourselves as BRAHMINS as most of us prefer only IR/IC connections to bury deep our culture and everything that goes with brahmins in the cremation ground. Let us pray this tribe grow in multiple.

stock-photo-gokarna-india-mar-brahmins-prepared-for-cremation-relative-unidentified-elderly-313112606.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back