• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பிரசர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக சமைத்தால்

Status
Not open for further replies.
பிரசர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக சமைத்தால்

அன்புடையீர், நமஸ்தே ! அலுமினியம் பிரசர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக சமைத்தால் அதில் உள்ள உலோகக் கலவைகளால் கார்பன் உருவாகி குக்கரில் உள்ள உணவுப்பொருட்களுடன் கலந்து எதிர் விளைவுகளை ஏற்படுத்துமா? தெளிவு படுத்தவும்.

ok ..ok.. அது ஷேரி, பிரஷர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக அல்லாமல் , 'மறைமுகமாக' சமைக்க ஏதும் வழி உண்டா ?

Dear ShivKC,

Direct cooking means, directly put the things in the cooker and cook. The other method is using other utensils i.e. separators to cook by placing the utensils inside the cooker and cook the foods. Coming to the main question, there is no such peril, known to us till date. Any knowledgeable person can explain the situation.

REgards
Raaghavan

Yes, direct cooking in aluminium pressure cookers should be avoided. At high heats, aluminium leaches out, and mixes with the food. Over a period of time, aluminium can accumulate in the body, and cause nerve damages. One of the suspected causes of Alzheimer’s disease (senile dementia, in simple English ) is aluminium. So, please avoid direct cooking. For this reason, these days, most shops selling pressure cookers in Chennai also sell a stainless-steel container of appropriatesize to be used inside the cooker.

Could someone please translate the above information into Tamil ? I am going to try, but if someone can beat me to it, so much the better!

Last edited:
ok ..ok.. அது ஷேரி, பிரஷர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக அல்லாமல் , 'மறைமுகமாக' சமைக்க ஏதும் வழி உண்டா ?

நீர் என்ன செந்திலா கௌண்டமணியா ?

அன்புடையீர், நமஸ்தே ! அலுமினியம் பிரசர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக சமைத்தால் அதில் உள்ள உலோகக் கலவைகளால் கார்பன் உருவாகி குக்கரில் உள்ள உணவுப்பொருட்களுடன் கலந்து எதிர் விளைவுகளை ஏற்படுத்துமா? தெளிவு படுத்தவும்.

ஆமாம், அலுமினியம் பிரஷர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக சமைத்தால் அதில் உள்ள உலோகக் கலவைகள் குக்கரில் உள்ள உணவுப்பொருட்களுடன் கலந்து எதிர் விளைவுகளை ஏற்படுத்தும் ( மூப்பு மன உடைவு, மூளைத்தேய்வு)

Last edited:
Yes, direct cooking in aluminium pressure cookers should be avoided. At high heats, aluminium leaches out, and mixes with the food. Over a period of time, aluminium can accumulate in the body, and cause nerve damages. One of the suspected causes of Alzheimer’s disease (senile dementia, in simple English ) is aluminium. So, please avoid direct cooking. For this reason, these days, most shops selling pressure cookers in Chennai also sell a stainless-steel container of appropriatesize to be used inside the cooker.

Could someone please translate the above information into Tamil ? I am going to try, but if someone can beat me to it, so much the better!

No need to translate this, I am sure the members can read and understand.. I believe a lot of us do express ourselves in English.. :)

if there is ever a need to cook directly in a pressure cooker, i think, a stainless steel pressure, which are now available, will do the trick.

many a times, with paathrams inside the presssure cooker, so little can be cooked.

if there is ever a need to cook directly in a pressure cooker, i think, a stainless steel pressure, which are now available, will do the trick.

many a times, with paathrams inside the presssure cooker, so little can be cooked.

Yes, kunjuppu sir, as you say, ideally, using a stainless steel pressure cooker is the best option, to facilitate direct cooking. However, in our house, even though we use stainless steel cooker, we still use a container inside, so that the cooker can be used again for subsequent cooking of a different item, since you don’t have to clean the pressure cooker after each and every cooking. Even if it is used only once a day, this feature is no small convenience these days, withthe lady of the house also rushing out for office! Of course, if you are abroad, there is the tendency to say: “Oh, my dishwasher will take care of it”. But,sir, in India , even assuming that you have good water supply, dish-washer is a super-duper luxury (unless your son happens to be in the IT industry )!

Again, price-wise, in India, steel cookers appear to cost “an arm and a leg”, so to speak.Many families, with a tight or limited budget, find it expedient to go for the aluminium variety. For them, of course, if they go for a lower capacity cooker, your comment that “paathrams inside the pressure cooker, so little can be cooked” does constitute a veritable conundrum.

So, for the budget-conscious,the best compromise, in my opinion, is to go for a suitably larger capacity aluminium cooker, which can accommodate a larger non-aluminium-based paathram (vessel/container) to facilitate ‘indirect’ cooking.

Last edited:
No need to translate this, I am sure the members can read and understand.. I believe a lot of us do express ourselves in English.. :)

I think you are right. When the person who initiated the thread posted his message in Tamil, I checked his profile and found that he posted his biography in Tamil. So I assumed that he may not or did not have good knowledge of English. But, subsequently, I found him posting elsewhere in English as well. So, I realized my folly. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
naina,

we too have a pressure cooker - prestige bought from india. stainless steel.

we put a paathram inside, stainless steel, and cover it with a plate, both bought in chennai.

mostly it is paruppu, and so it is ok. can't think of anything else we cooked.

i have considered making bagaala bath in the whole container but haven't ventured into it yet. one of these months....

btw, we do not have a mechanical dishwasher, but only a human one, aka mr. kunjuppu :)

bbtw, personally i feel dishwasher is double work. you have to rinse before putting it in the machine. also where you have thick stains, it is absolutely useless, as you have to scratch and remove the stains, prior to loading it into the machine.

i learned this excellent habit, from my white room mate when i came to canada. clean up your dishes immediately after use, quite unlike the practice in india at my parents' home, where everything was piled till the morning, when the maid came and cleaned it.

cleaning it immediately, avoids clutter, smell and decay of stale foods, the bad odour, and also enable reuse almost immediately. i think it is a good habit, which can be followed universally; once we get over the stigma of washing dishes, as something only the 'maid' does. :)

the practice in our home is, when i cook, mrs K washes the dishes; and vice versa; since it is the missus who cooks mostly, the task of washing the dishes falls on me. i can, with some modesty, consider myself an expert dishwasher, who does the job better than all the high priced machines; God willing the same model has been working for 37+ years in canada without replacement, though it will fail when time comes.

also, when i wash the dishes, many a times, instead of drip dry, i prefer to dry it with a towel. and put it away.

என்ன சிட்டை பாருங்கோ :)

Last edited:
என்ன சிட்டை பாருங்கோ :)
எங்களுக்குத் தெரியாதா சார், நீங்கள் ஒரு 'கிச்சன் கில்லாடி' என்று! :thumb:

This is purely an appreciation!!

Cooking in Pressure-cooker.

If I remember correct, TTK introduced "Prestige" Pressure cooker in India, for the first time in 1960 from their manufacturing facility. In our house first Pressure cooker was a "Prestige" first generation Pressure cooker that I got as a wedding gift in 1961 from my friend who was working in TTK. It had a weight called rocker that can be adjusted as per the required pressure and a safety valve to relieve the excess pressure if any.
As per the instruction book, we were advised to use a container covered with a lid for cooking. Cautioned against the use of food items directly in the pressure cooker, which may cause the steam discharging path getting jammed by flying food particles, that in turn may result in bursting of the safety valve. This cooker was provided with three aluminum vessels for cooking.
In latter models, additional safety facility in the form of a small vent between the cooker and the cover is given to facilitate rubber gasket to expand and release excess pressure.

However, my mother did not "approve" the use the Pressure cooker till we came to Bangalore in 1966 !

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Kunjuppu Sir:

mostly it is paruppu, and so it is ok. can'tthink of anything else we cooked.
We cook rice and paruppu in one batch – using double-paathram- one on top of the other, with the top one covered with a plate.

btw, we do not have a mechanical dishwasher,but only a human one, aka mr. kunjuppu
You mean you do not have electrical dishwasher, since the human one in use is the mechanical one,which, as far as I know, is the best generic brand indigenous mechanical dishwasher in town!

….clean up your dishes immediately after use, … cleaning it immediately,avoids
clutter, smell and decay of stale foods, the bad odour, and alsoenable reuse almost immediately. i think it is a good habit,
Yes, when we were in the USA, we also found that this is the best approach, both for sanitariness and sanity! Back in India, we decided not to wait for the maid to arrive till the morning ( many a time not knowing if the maid will show up at all), so we avoided hiring a maid. But guesswhat! When we avoided using maid service in India, the prospective maids in the locality considered us weird! They all wanted to know why we can’t or won’t hire maids, are we so strapped for money, are we against them as a class/caste etc etc. So, back to square one!

…i can, with some modesty, consider myself an expert dishwasher, whodoes the job better than all the high priced machines; ….the same model has been working for 37+years …. without replacement, though it will fail when time comes.
We pray to God that Mrs. Kunjuppu be blessed with an unfailing dishwasher for the rest of her life.

Last edited:
Greetings.

I could not resist taking part in this thread.

I bought a stainless steel pressure cooker, medium size, for Rs.2,200 in 2010. ( I don't think it costs arms and legs. It has to be cleaned immediately. The rubber seal should be taken out, washed and dried immediately. Longer the rubber products left wet, sooner they break). I seldom use it as a pressure cooker though. I cook direct in that. I use the pressure cooker only to cook peanuts ( I can get the peanuts cooked with their skin intact in pressure cooker). Everytime I used the pressure cooker, I left a warning note on the lid "Don't open! Lid under pressure!" to safe guard my children. So, for safety reasons, I am not keen at all to use pressure cooker; but as a cooking vessel, it's just great with a thick base!

I don't have a dish washer. Don't think I would ever need one either. I clean my vessels as I cook.

I don't even use a rice cooker. ( I would if I get a stainless stell rice cooker. Don't like to use pressure cooker to cook rice though). I cook the rice in a good microwave safe plastic container in the micowave. I always get very clean rice.

I cook everything direct. Thoordal takes 18 to 20 minutes to cook, direct. By that time I get the vegetables chopped, puli jalam boiling for sambar. Even pongal, I cook direct. So, I seldom face the problems of burning to the bottom; I constantly stir it.

So, the bottom line is, avoid using aluminium vessels. ( Only for making disais or omeletts I have a non-stick pan. After one year, I ususlly toss it out and get a new one. Planning to get some in stainless steel though from India).

Cheers!

.....As per the instruction book, we were advised to use a container covered with a lid for cooking. Cautioned against the use of food items directly in the pressure cooker, which may cause the steam discharging path getting jammed by flying food particles, that in turn may result in bursting of the safety valve. This cooker was provided with three aluminum vessels for cooking.....

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

This is a most valuable additional information, as to why direct cooking should be avoided.

Last edited:
This is a most valuable additional information, as to why direct cooking should be avoided.

Oh yes, I have seen bursting of safety valve in our old Pressure cooker happening in our house. As a matter of caution we do not use Pressure cooking of any food directly in the cooker. However when we use the cooker for other purposes like steaming or heating we use the cooker directly as a container.
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Oh yes, I have seen bursting of safety valve in our old Pressure cooker happening in our house. As a matter of caution we do not use Pressure cooking of any food directly in the cooker. However when we use the cooker for other purposes like steaming or heating we use the cooker directly as a container..........
My sister in law had the worst experience! The pressure valve did not work properly and the cooker itself burst like an atom

bomb, throwing the lid away towards the ceiling. Luckily, she was away in her bedroom and escaped injury! The cooker
resembled a tiny car crushed under a huge lorry in a road accident!! :scared:

My sister in law had the worst experience! The pressure valve did not work properly and the cooker itself burst like an atom

bomb, throwing the lid away towards the ceiling. Luckily, she was away in her bedroom and escaped injury! The cooker
resembled a tiny car crushed under a huge lorry in a road accident!! :scared:
Dear Mrs Raji Ram,

I have also know about similar unfortunate incidents. As a matter of caution it is better to get a routine checkup by an authorised service center done on the pressure cookers, and required parts like rubber gasket and safety valves changed if needed.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

All modern appliances are only bombs but made to behave in a gentle way. The gas pipe/cylinder can explode, fridge compressor can explode, geyser can burst, pc or tv can burst, mobile bursts. One must be careful as best as possible and conscious that we are living at somebody's else's mercy, either at home or on road.

"Leaching" of aluminium from the cooker into food directly cooked in it, is really very bad for health. One article I read some years ago said such cooking of redchilli, tamarind, etc., gives rise to skin diseases also.

Food cooked in aluminium contribute to health problems, brass or copper vessels can also give problems if you failed to handle them properly, steel is anaacharam, silver is costly, gold is not touchable even by Devas, glass is breakable, china is not Indian. Satti, Maakachchatti, etc. may be contaminated. Is there a campaign to starve out man or compel him to rake fruit-ladden trees. Wait. At least 5/10 years. The villain science will come out against microwaves.

Dear Sri Iyyarooraan Ji,

You said:

Sir, do you understand what you are saying? Science, a villain?

Sorry sir, I can not accept your statement. Because of Science sir, we know much more about our physical world. Science has saved countless lives.

I think your complaint should be about folks who use Science for evil ends.

This is the only discipline that is built on logic and peer review in a systematic way.

Regards,
KRS

பாத்திரமறிந்து குக்கரில் குக்குவோரே நற்குக்கர்;
அஹ்தினில் செய்திடும் வுடல் மக்கர்.

திருலொள்ளுவர் :deadhorse:

பாத்திரமறிந்து குக்கரில் குக்குவோரே நற்குக்கர்;
அஹ்தினில் செய்திடும் வுடல் மக்கர்.

திருலொள்ளுவர் :deadhorse:

The Best laugh for my morning.. thanks!!!! I am still laughing.. it is so funny!!! O my god..

O well my two cents, We all have adapted to a modern life style including using of other materials to cook other than clay, which is said to be the best, I read something about particularly Clay being the best in Sankarachariyaar's " Arul Vaaku" and always wondered why man has not made more of those rather than using aluminium or steel or china etc..

In any case, no doubt aluminium is not THE right choice but I guess steel is preferable and talk about Anaacharam, nobody is living I mean the brahmins according to Acharam so where is the talk of anachaaram anymore.. You do the best you can..

a simple question has turned into calling Science evil.. that is kind of strange because even in India for Science or rasayanam, all kinds of experiment have been conducted and from spices to direction to building to betterment of health.... apart from superstitions all these inventions or research and practice has made India what it is.. and now the world is finding out more and more about our way of living.. so why mock any kind of science..

Subhalakshmi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back