• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பிரசர் குக்கரில் நேரடியாக சமைத்தால்

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sowbagyavathy Subhalakshmi, greetings.

There is no need to feel sorry. I only acknowledged your words. Gramam is a nice word. I am from one too! It's absolutely fine. Kindly feel free! As far as I know, all the masiyals are done with பயத்தம்பருப்பு only. It doesn't matter whether one adds cheppankizhangu or potato! Usually it comes out tasty either ways! ( I do get frozen cheppankizhangu; also fresh cheppankizhangu too! I don't miss kal chatti at all; my cooking vessel has a very thick copper base. Masiyal comes out very nice. மசியலைக் கடைவதும் இல்லை. Paruppu gets cooked really well and gets mashed in the masiyal! ( Listen, I have no desire to make masiyal tomorrow. I have really good புடலங்காய் for cooking tomorrow!

Cheers!

I love chepankizhangu masiyal and of course my other favorite Keerai masiyal.. Well Pudalangai is available in New Jersey but not where I live.. perhaps I can get some seeds and start my own plant or vine.. I hope you enjoyed your pudalangai.... I too have different pots to cook, but nostalgia makes me want the other cookware.. anyway.. take care..
Subhalakshmi :)

Dear Srimathi Subhalakshmi Ji,

We have Pudalangai available in plenty at where I live - North Texas. I thought they are available aplenty in Southern California. I am surprised!

Regards,
KRS

From pressure cooker to pudalangaay! One more nice twist in this thread! :juggle:

Oh Yes ! No wonder there is a saying "Braahmano Bhojana priyah:"
full text is:

namaskarapriyo bhaanuh
abhishekapriyah sivah /
alamkaarapriyo vishnuh
braahmano bhojanapriyah //

The sun is fond of namaskaaram.
Lord Siva is fond of abhishekam.
Sri Vishnu is fond of decoration.
A Brahmin is fond of feast.

Given a chance, All the topics will enter into food.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sir,

Why only brahmanAs! It is said long long time back: உண்டி முதற்றே உலகு!

Regards.........

Dear Srimathi Subhalakshmi Ji,

We have Pudalangai available in plenty at where I live - North Texas. I thought they are available aplenty in Southern California. I am surprised!

Regards,
KRS

O how nice I have two friends in Texas.. some day soon I plan to visit.. about Pudalangai, NO I don't think I have seen it.. but again, there is a very nice Mediterranean market which has almost all vegetables and they are much cheaper than Indian grocery store, Inge ivan oruthan thaan pakathila irrukaan.. so in comparison to NJ I think he is much higher... anyway, I have to go and check again perhaps later today..

any way, Pressure cooker to Kural to Veggies this thread has traveled, it show our varied interests.. :) Take care..

Subhalakshmi/Bushu :)

Oh Yes ! No wonder there is a saying "Braahmano Bhojana priyah:"
full text is:

namaskarapriyo bhaanuh
abhishekapriyah sivah /
alamkaarapriyo vishnuh
braahmano bhojanapriyah //

The sun is fond of namaskaaram.
Lord Siva is fond of abhishekam.
Sri Vishnu is fond of decoration.
A Brahmin is fond of feast.

Given a chance, All the topics will enter into food.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

That is so true illaiya.. brahmanan bhojana priyan dhaan.. :) Now I find my children so much into making south Indian food, nethikku my daughter made Vazhakai curry, cauliflower curry, keerai molagootal, rasam and carrot kosmalli, my son of course was there too.... This will not be all that surprising if my daughter was in India but living in the US in Brooklyn if she her husband are interested is a big deal for me.. My SIL is an American.. He loves south indian food.. and is 95% vegetarian, avaa ammakku romba varutham.. :rant:paavam.. but it is his choice...

Subhalakshmi :)

.......My SIL is an American.. He loves south indian food.. and is 95% vegetarian, avaa ammakku romba varutham.. :rant:paavam.. but it is his choice...
You know Bushu, two of the american sons in law in my DH's cousin's family love 'thachchi mammu' with 'naarththngaay'!

We make fun of that cousin saying that only for eating the yummy combination often, they married the girls! :hungry:

i have said enough in this thread. no more to say. atleast for now. no sabbattical. :(
Dear Sir,

I saw your post. But now that the thread has turned towards various recipes, I was awaiting a few comments from our dear

'kitchen killaadi'! :)

bushu, raji,

havent we all heard the old adage, 'the best way to a human's heart is through the stomach' or something along those lines :)

what better way, for a sil or dil, white or dhal, to endear her/him self to the inlaws than show an appreciation of our food.? :)

all the friends, that my children bring in, the first thing, they get introduced, is mologoottal puli pacchchadi carrot salad karavadaam and (made my moi) lemon pickuls. top it off, by (ehem! ) apple betty made by me - served hot, with french vanilla ice cream to top it up.

so far, no one has desisted this wooing, and as they say, 'first impressions make the best impressions' :)

oh joi de vivre!!

You know Bushu, two of the american sons in law in my DH's cousin's family love 'thachchi mammu' with 'naarththngaay'!

We make fun of that cousin saying that only for eating the yummy combination often, they married the girls! :hungry:

Well I don't know about that.. :) but my both SIL's are American mostly Irish and they love whatever I make, my younger one even know what is " porichukottal" Both of them, I must say are such wonderful gentleman they respect and love their wives and blend in very well, have learned all the uncles and aunts names, respectful etc. And of course, it makes it easier for the girls and I, that they love Indian food.. that is added PLUS... :)) My daughters are blessed with good husbands.. :)

bushu, raji,

havent we all heard the old adage, 'the best way to a human's heart is through the stomach' or something along those lines :)

what better way, for a sil or dil, white or dhal, to endear her/him self to the inlaws than show an appreciation of our food.? :)

all the friends, that my children bring in, the first thing, they get introduced, is mologoottal puli pacchchadi carrot salad karavadaam and (made my moi) lemon pickuls. top it off, by (ehem! ) apple betty made by me - served hot, with french vanilla ice cream to top it up.

so far, no one has desisted this wooing, and as they say, 'first impressions make the best impressions' :)

oh joi de vivre!!

Oooo!!! Yum!!!! your Apple Betty with French vanilla icecream sounds scrumptious.. I am going to visit you and your wife in Canada, I am have a visit due.. :))

I have to add, I see a lot of American boys adjust to our culture more than the American girls, I am not generalizing but my experience with my children and also some friends's children, some of the American girls are not all that adaptable.. so I told my son, he better find an Indian girl who understands the culture, not that they are all living as total indians at home, but most part I would say yes!! paavam they work so hard the children, I wondered if we all did so much at that age.. I guess blame it on the times we live in... :)

going back to eating, the first time my younger SIL came to see me, my daughter had introduced him to N.I. food which was available in the restaurant and when he ate my food, he said, no more going back to the restaurant.. Also he has been studying the Bhagavath Geetha and said to me that this is timeless, I can relate to it even now in my life.. I was amazed I did not know he was into it.. anyway.. god bless all the young generations with all good in abundance.. :)

Bushu :)

நக்கீர நண்பரே!

பாத்திரம் வைக்காத, நேரடி குக்கர் சமையல் கெடுதி என்ற காரணத்தைச் சுட்டிக் காட்டினேன்!

பொருட் குற்றம் என்னவென்று உரைத்தால், திருத்திக்கொண்டு ஆனந்திப்பேன்! :dance:

விளக்கம் எதிர்பார்க்கும்,
நண்பி :)

மாண்புமிகு நண்பி புலவரே! வணக்கங்கள்.

( Kindly allow me to switch over to English, please).

When the cooker is made of staineless steel or alloy of any steel that can take high temperatures for a long time, cooking directly may not cause any harm. ( Aluminum doen't take up high temperatures for a long period). For example, when I cook Tamato chtney, I follow the old, long procedure; cook for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. For that kind of cooking, aluminum is useless. (it even ruins the taste if cooked in aluminium).

Prestige (and other brands) cooker comes in different sizes. I have a medium sized cooker. Planning to buy buy a saucepan type cooker too. Such cookers lack the depth to add one more vessel inside. I have noticed most ladies cooking paruppu, rice and potato in cooker. But I find cooking them direct takes only as much time. So, due to the lack of depth and since it is not necessasary, I don't keep one more vessel in the cooker when I use the cooker.

குக்கரில் பாத்திரம் வைக்காத நேரடி சமையல் கெடுதல் இல்லை என்பதே என் வாதம்! ( அலுமினியம் குக்கர் ஆகாத பட்சத்தில்).

Cheers!

O how nice I have two friends in Texas.. some day soon I plan to visit.. about Pudalangai, NO I don't think I have seen it.. but again, there is a very nice Mediterranean market which has almost all vegetables and they are much cheaper than Indian grocery store, Inge ivan oruthan thaan pakathila irrukaan.. so in comparison to NJ I think he is much higher... anyway, I have to go and check again perhaps later today..

any way, Pressure cooker to Kural to Veggies this thread has traveled, it show our varied interests.. :) Take care..

Subhalakshmi/Bushu :)

Sowbagyavathy Subhalakshmi, Greetings.

In Brisbane, I don't usually get Indian vegetables in the super market. Sometimes I come across them in Sunday market. I used to have my own vegetable garden; but I was way too busy working full time and studying full time in the last 3 to 4 years. Now I am only working full time... Planning to start a garden later this year after winter. Since it is rare to get புடலங்காய், I was so exited! I really miss Toronto in that aspect. I used to get all sorts of vegetables from சந்கானச் சந்தை in Markham. Oh well! I had to move on after the big three car industries crash in 2006...

Cheers!

......... குக்கரில் பாத்திரம் வைக்காத நேரடி சமையல் கெடுதல் இல்லை என்பதே என் வாதம்! ( அலுமினியம் குக்கர் ஆகாத பட்சத்தில்).
இந்த நூலில் விவாதிப்பது அலுமினியக் குக்கர் என்பதால், குக்கர் என்று பொதுவாகச் சொன்னேன்.

'கலைஞர்' என்றால், மு க வைக் குறிப்பது போல! (ரொம்பத்தான் கொலஸ்ட்ரால், இந்த நண்பிக்கு...)

அலுமினியக் குக்கர் என்றால், குறளின் நீளம் அதிகமாகிவிடும்!

இதோ... திருத்தம்:

*குக்கரால் ஆயபயன் என்கொல் பாத்திரம்

*குக்கருள் வைக்கா விடின்.

*குறியிட்ட குக்கர், அலுமினியக் குக்கர் எனக் கொள்க!

Sowbagyavathy Subhalakshmi, Greetings.

In Brisbane, I don't usually get Indian vegetables in the super market. Sometimes I come across them in Sunday market. I used to have my own vegetable garden; but I was way too busy working full time and studying full time in the last 3 to 4 years. Now I am only working full time... Planning to start a garden later this year after winter. Since it is rare to get புடலங்காய், I was so exited! I really miss Toronto in that aspect. I used to get all sorts of vegetables from சந்கானச் சந்தை in Markham. Oh well! I had to move on after the big three car industries crash in 2006...

Cheers!

dear raghy,

after nearly 40 years, i had the experience of buying a slice of jackfruit, greasing my hands, and peeling fruish juicy honey sweet plumpy cheeked fruits the past weekend. available at oceans supermarket in mississauga and brampton. just yesterday i roasted the kottais dry in the oven, and had the gratification cycle completed 360 degrees :)

unfortunately the stuff did not agree with mrs K. so poor me had to finish all of it myself - about 20 choLais in all. :(

not bragging, but i have heard that we even get kaavaththu kazhangu here. should check on it. what is kali without kk?

dear raghy,

after nearly 40 years, i had the experience of buying a slice of jackfruit, greasing my hands, and peeling fruish juicy honey sweet plumpy cheeked fruits the past weekend. available at oceans supermarket in mississauga and brampton. just yesterday i roasted the kottais dry in the oven, and had the gratification cycle completed 360 degrees :)

unfortunately the stuff did not agree with mrs K. so poor me had to finish all of it myself - about 20 choLais in all. :(

not bragging, but i have heard that we even get kaavaththu kazhangu here. should check on it. what is kali without kk?

Dear Sri.Kunjuppu, Greetings.

I didn't have the pleasure of shopping at Mississaga. I stayed only briefly in Malton, near Airport Road for 2 months. Then I moved to New Market. I frequented Markham for groceries and vegetables. ( சங்கானச் சந்தை in Markham was quite a huge shop). We have Jack fruit trees growing well in Brisbane. It's freely available here. I am more interested in the seeds. Next time, instead of roasting it in the oven, remove the skin, cook it with salted water in the pressure cooker (possibly 3 whistles to 4 whistles). Break the cooked seeds add them in கத்தரிக்காய் குழம்பு. The texture of the kuzhambu itself changes... and tastes great. It tastes better the next day ( after it soaked the உப்பு, காரம் from the khuzhanbu!).

I am afraid I don't know what is kaavaththu kizhangu though! :(

Cheers!

Hello Namaskar to everyone, Also we have to avoid using the Aluminium vessels for cooking or even heating water purposes. I heard this message from the doctor when I took my mother for Arthritis problem. Yes, Aluminium vessels will increase the knee pain.

Dear Sri.Kunjuppu, Greetings.

I didn't have the pleasure of shopping at Mississaga. I stayed only briefly in Malton, near Airport Road for 2 months. Then I moved to New Market. I frequented Markham for groceries and vegetables. ( சங்கானச் சந்தை in Markham was quite a huge shop). We have Jack fruit trees growing well in Brisbane. It's freely available here. I am more interested in the seeds. Next time, instead of roasting it in the oven, remove the skin, cook it with salted water in the pressure cooker (possibly 3 whistles to 4 whistles). Break the cooked seeds add them in கத்தரிக்காய் குழம்பு. The texture of the kuzhambu itself changes... and tastes great. It tastes better the next day ( after it soaked the உப்பு, காரம் from the khuzhanbu!).

I am afraid I don't know what is kaavaththu kizhangu though! :(

Cheers!

Dear raghy,

For us pattars, chakkai is something close to spiritual.

We use it regularly in molagootal, avail and also make chakkakottai upperi (my favourite). Chakka pradhaman ofcourse is a epicurean delight and a diabtes’ nightmare.

I had never dry roasted it before, and hence I thought I will mention it.

In my days in Chennai, we got it sent annually from kerala, where chakkai trees are part of the landscape of any tharvadu. My grandma used to go eloquent about the procedure to be followed prior to planting a new sapling - the person has to be clean like just after a bath, well fed, have some payasam, and (very important) eat vethalai, till the mouth is all red.

This is said to be reflected ultimately in the chakkai – in the order I explained above – makes the chakkai crist and not watery with cholai distinct and easy to peel, makes the cheeks plumpy and juicy, makes the cholais sweet, and finally…gives the reddish hue which Malabar chakkais are famous for (unlike their trichy counterparts to be seen in madras of then, with a lemon yellow colour)

:)

Kaavaththu is another distinct malayalee root – used at tiruvadarai time to make side dish for kaLi. any of my pattar colleagues here might want to chip in. my memory is fading..

ps சங்கானச் சந்தை is still going strong, though the furniture store next door is gone. i go tre once in a while as it is close to my work. the whole area is now getting developed, and i feel it is only a matter of time, before this building is demolished. :(

Dear raghy,

We use it regularly in molagootal, avail and also make chakkakottai upperi (my favourite). Chakka pradhaman ofcourse is a epicurean delight and a diabtes’ nightmare.

:(

when it comes to சக்கா கொட்டை (jack fruit seed), i share the same sentiment like sh.kunjuppu.. rather a spiritual sentiment with that sacramental nut, i would call it.

in times of our childhood, thirty years ago, i think, usage of coconut oil and fry were seen as an expensive affair, rather a waste of money or seen as luxurious one, even among the affluent, who had few acres of coconut estate. having a potato fry in that stainless steel school tiffin box, is the most flaunting and expensive one, cos it consumes both oil as well as the expensive potato, of that times. interestingly, it makes me curious, how the 'great famine' made people to rely on potato, where as potato was an expensive affair in our household just 25 years ago.

back to chakka kottai... its indeed a tedious job. my granny used to make. its a tough job to peel of the gelatine flake kind of think skin, after which is left with the brick like colored soft skin. then soaked on water for an hour, after which its handed over to the children, who are certified by granny to handle the knife, possibly those who crossed age ten.

with a blunt knife, the kids job is to peel of that brown skin, until they reach the white starchy part of the seed. there used to be a quality control, where granny looks for the presence of the browny skin, if any.

then goes back to granny or mom, to slice it.. no scraper or slicers or food processor. its the normal kitchen knife and the skill set of knife handling, makes them to slice it horizontally , close to 1mm thick.. remember, this kottai is a dicot, and one will have difficulty in slicing equally sticking to one mm thickness, when you reach the middle part of the seed.

then the process goes on with marination.. its highly doped with chilli, bit of turmeric. pepper and salt as usual. keep it for an hour. some times, its kept in scorching sunlight to dry for an hour, just save some oil during frying i guess.

and then to frying pan.. guess what it feels like, i can sing sinead o connor song 'nothing compares, nothing compares, to chakka kottai'

having said thatl, i also share the same experience like kunjuppu.. neither my wife, not my kids touch that with a ten foot pole.. i tried that at home last month, with that expensive (off season batch) chakka..

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear raghy,

In my days in Chennai, we got it sent annually from kerala, where chakkai trees are part of the landscape of any tharvadu. My grandma used to go eloquent about the procedure to be followed prior to planting a new sapling - the person has to be clean like just after a bath, well fed, have some payasam, and (very important) eat vethalai, till the mouth is all red.

This is said to be reflected ultimately in the chakkai – in the order I explained above – makes the chakkai crist and not watery with cholai distinct and easy to peel, makes the cheeks plumpy and juicy, makes the cholais sweet, and finally…gives the reddish hue which Malabar chakkais are famous for (unlike their trichy counterparts to be seen in madras of then, with a lemon yellow colour)

:)

Kaavaththu is another distinct malayalee root – used at tiruvadarai time to make side dish for kaLi. any of my pattar colleagues here might want to chip in. my memory is fading..

ps சங்கானச் சந்தை is still going strong, though the furniture store next door is gone. i go tre once in a while as it is close to my work. the whole area is now getting developed, and i feel it is only a matter of time, before this building is demolished. :(
hi K,
there is no kali without kaavathu koottu in thiruvadirai.....very yummy...very tasty combination of palakkad pattars....palakkad
pattars are famous for cooks...civil servants and crooks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back