• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஊர் அறிந்த பிராமணனுக்குப் பூணூல் எதற்கு?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly the mangalyam is not for public exhibition :nono:
and is NOT to be seen by any man other than her husband!
In fact that is how Harichandra is identified by Chandramathi
in the pathetic burial ground scene !!!

The poonool will be inside the clothes.

No one is going to see it unless men walk around topless
like the priests and pundits in public places!!! :)

My father used to say this very often,

"In our place, everyone knows us and so we can be ourselves.
In a new place no one knows us. So we can be ourselves."

So we can just be ourselves all the time
and have a free mind without putting up pretenses
and trying to maintain imaginary images!!!! :drama:

I always wondered why woman of other states can display the Mangalsutra over their clothes but in Tamil Nadu the Mangalsutra is not supposed to be for Public Display.

You know the Tamil Mangalsutra is most of the while M shaped and girls these days call it Mc Donald.

mcdonalds.jpg

i happened to see this proverb in yet another thread here, and my intention in posting here is to find the literal meaning behind the proverb. (Not to ponder over the necessity of PunUl )

Mangalsutra starts with a "M"!
icon3.png

May be that is why it is made in the shape of a "M!"

Man or Male who ties it also starts with "M"

The lady Mangai who receive it also starts with "M"

Marriage also starts with "M"

Mandapam the veneu of the event also starts with"M"

Mitra who attend the function also starts with "M"

May be we can expect hundreds of such doubts and questions in the near future!!!:)

i happened to see this proverb in yet another thread here, and my intention in posting here is to find the literal meaning behind the proverb. (Not to ponder over the necessity of PunUl )

Mangalsutra starts with a "M"!
icon3.png

May be that is why it is made in the shape of a "M!"

Man or Male who ties it also starts with "M"

The lady Mangai who receive it also starts with "M"

Marriage also starts with "M"

Mandapam the veneu of the event also starts with"M"

Mitra who attend the function also starts with "M"

But in which Indian Language the letter M is written as M?

म् ம ??????

BTW Mamiyar and Mamanar and Mui money also starts with M!!

i am surprised that we discuss a lot but no one really talks more facts..It would be good if some learned scholars in the site share their insights.Many are assumptions,self preferenes...
Though I am ignorant on such topics i knew few things like various sects wore Poonal.There is a holyness in it with brhma mudichu being put on the sacred thread.There is a unique distiction for MEN who are married & bachelors with the number of threads they wore.Normally for bachelors it is 3 & for married it is 6.
And from history , hindu marriages does not have mangal sutra..If my hearngs are true the main part of the marrige is called Kannika Thanam where the bride's father gives her dauter to the bridegroom by holding the hands together..it is during the ISlamic invasion, to protect ladies subjected to unkindful activities the concept of Thal was brought in to picture.There were some significance like it is close to one's chest & there is a reason for it...

I am quite new to this site & see intresting discussions.I request all members to encourage learned scholars to join this site so that it sets the right platform to share right information.

Thank You.

ALL the scholars have quit the forum very recently. :bolt:

Only common people like me are here now and
we have learned to get along well without much friction.

The scholars were against everything told in sasthra.

But that is beside the point. It is just to show that even if they were here now,
they will not have take up your side of the debate.:nono:

With the kind of loose living now prevalent in major cities and metropolitan cities,
"kannigai" will become a very rare commodity in the near future.

So an external reminder( that she is married to a man now, and has to be faithful to him)
in the form of a thaali is to be welcomed by all.

You may be new to the forum but you seem to be very well informed. So you can take up the issues and enlighten the others. There is no seniority here nor are any other qualifications needed to speak the truth and give correct information!

:welcome: to fill up the vacuum! :)

i am surprised that we discuss a lot but no one really talks more facts..It would be good if some learned scholars in the site share their insights.Many are assumptions,self preferenes...
Though I am ignorant on such topics i knew few things like various sects wore Poonal.There is a holyness in it with brhma mudichu being put on the sacred thread.There is a unique distiction for MEN who are married & bachelors with the number of threads they wore.Normally for bachelors it is 3 & for married it is 6.
And from history , hindu marriages does not have mangal sutra..If my hearngs are true the main part of the marrige is called Kannika Thanam where the bride's father gives her dauter to the bridegroom by holding the hands together..it is during the ISlamic invasion, to protect ladies subjected to unkindful activities the concept of Thal was brought in to picture.There were some significance like it is close to one's chest & there is a reason for it...

I am quite new to this site & see intresting discussions.I request all members to encourage learned scholars to join this site so that it sets the right platform to share right information.

Thank You.

English has entered India long ago! Remember??? :)

Ha Ha Ha..
You know out here in Malaysia people believe in numerology and you will find weird sounding names and weird spelled names so that the letters in the name will add up to some so called lucky number.

Ok here are some names...be ready brace yourself.

Vishnu is spelled as Vishannu
Varun is spelled as Varrunn
Even names like Dukesh are kept cos they are numerically lucky..but what a name? Dukesh(Lord of Sorrow)

Ok Gopal is spelt as Gooppal.
Tarun is spelt as Tharroon.

I was wondering that if we write the name Varun as Varrunn in english alphabets but when we write it in any Indian language it will be spelt as वरुण् only..so all the double RR and NN etc will not occur.

That's why when someone asked me why I do not believe in Numerology for my son's name I told them "Cos I am not an Englishkari. I am a Tamilian and in Tamil I can't write all extra letters here and there"

ALL the scholars have quit the forum very recently. :bolt:

Only common people like me are here now and
we have learned to get along well without much friction.

Dear VR Ji,

How true..Ignorance is Bliss..see off late there is no need for moderation too.
Even fights are handled well in slow motion matrix style.
No one attacking with bullets or sticks or stones.
All of us are very very peaceful and happy.
Chidananda Roopah Shivoham Shivoham!

As we have moved to Thali from Poonool did some google got this info:

Source: Ask Agent

The "Thali" (mangalsutra) consists of two pieces, ONE FROM EACH FAMILY, traditionally dangling on a yellow thread. There are variations in the Mangalsutra and the way it is made / arranged varies from region to region.

It contains images of the Shiva Lingam - Iyers The Namam and Sudarshana Chakra - Iyengars A pair of shell (shakha) and red coral (paula) bangles - Bengali Ivory -Punjab and Rajastan Gold chain with black beads and a gold pendant - West and other parts of India. Ka****ali - gold chain with coral beads and two black beads on either side of a diamond shaped gold pendant - Karnataka, specifically "Konkini" Soft 24 Karat Gold is fashioned into necklaces modelled on the local flora and fauna—earrings like the hona, which replicate the orchid, and the lokaparo, which consists of two birds placed back to back. - Assam Gold is used to craft imitations of the human head and long funnel-shaped beads which are used in combination with shells, animal claws and teeth and precious and semi-precious stones. - Nagaland Rice grains, the Cobra’s hood, Melon and Cucumber seeds are some of the common motifs of nature inspired jewellery. - Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

Silversmiths craft large ornaments, which have a very delicate and intricate appearance. Headdresses called chak, long earrings and large nose rings with papal leaf or bird motifs are the specialties of the region. - Himachal Pradesh Turquoise, Cornelian ( sort of reddish quartz), Coral and Agate - Ladakh and East Indian States Our humble "THAALI" had a very humble Beginning. In ancient days the leaves of the palm tree called "Thaala Vriksha" were strung together and used in the place of a cord or thread. In this context, it is interesting to learn that the tying of the mangalsutra, which means auspicious thread or cord, is not a religious practice but a social one, and that too of recent origin.

It is surprising but true that this practice was not in vogue in ancient days in Hindu weddings. The "Grhyasutras" ( laws of domestic rituals) do not mention the mangalsutra but only a "kankana bandhana". The kankana bandhana or protective cord was worn by the couple to protect them from all kinds of pollution before the samvesana (consummation). It appears the mangalsutra evolved more as a popular practice than as a scriptural observance.
For Hindu women, the mangalsutra or "Thali" is the one single symbol of their wedded state. Three knots are tied - the first one by the bridegroom, the other two knots by his sister to make the bride a parts of the boy's family. The Vedic hymn recited by the bridegroom when he ties the knot, is: "This is a sacred thread. This is essential for my long life. I tie this around your neck, O maiden having many auspicious attributes! May you live happily for a hundred years (with me). ( Praying the Almighty that I be blessed with a long life ) Oh soubhaygavati.

See some Thali shapes as per the caste: (Source: Wikipedia)

798px-A_thaali-_pillaiyar_thaali.jpg

Pillayar Thali

120px-A-_thaali_koundars.jpg

Koundar thali

120px-A-_thaali_vanniyar.jpg

Vanniyar thali

Significance of Thali:Significance
The significance to the Mangalsutra was first given by Adi Shankara in his famous book Soundarya Lahari. According to Hindu cultural ethos, mangalsutra symbolizes the inseparable bond between a husband and a wife. During the wedding ceremony, the bridegroom ties the mangalsutra to the neck of the bride uttering- “May you live long by wearing this sacred Mangalsutra, the reason of my life”. Married women are entitled to wear Mangalsutra throughout their life as it is believed that the practice enhances the well-being of her husband and family. It is also considered that the mangalsutra protects the marriage from any evil. Three knots symbolize three different aspects of a married woman - the first knot represents her obedience to her husband, the second to his parents and the third represents her respect for God

Last edited:
The ONLY word that comes to my mind after reading the weird spellings is VRRROOOOM! :bolt: on a motor vehicle :car:!

May be Dukesh is Rudra himself!

I know a few weird names and spellings! :)

VISSNU for Vishnu

KANISSKA for Kanishka

One girl is named Sivasiva priya!

Calling out her name is = saying Sivasiva!! :pray:

Ha Ha Ha..
You know out here in Malaysia people believe in numerology and you will find weird sounding names and weird spelled names so that the letters in the name will add up to some so called lucky number.

Ok here are some names...be ready brace yourself.

Vishnu is spelled as Vishannu
Varun is spelled as Varrunn
Even names like Dukesh are kept cos they are numerically lucky..but what a name? Dukesh(Lord of Sorrow)

Ok Gopal is spelt as Gooppal.
Tarun is spelt as Tharroon.

I was wondering that if we write the name Varun as Varrunn in english alphabets but when we write it in any Indian language it will be spelt as वरुण् only..so all the double RR and NN etc will not occur.

That's why when someone asked me why I do not believe in Numerology for my son's name I told them "Cos I am not an Englishkari. I am a Tamilian and in Tamil I can't write all extra letters here and there"

Three knots symbolize three different aspects of a married woman - the first knot represents her obedience to her husband, the second to his parents and the third represents her respect for God

See what I mean..it's obedience only for woman.
What about guys yaar?
They are always escaping.
That's why I feel some practices are man made to keep control on women.

I did not see any fight recently!

:brick: has become extinct!!

Most of :fencing: and :argue: and :boxing:

also have gone out of fashion.

Dear VR Ji,

How true..Ignorance is Bliss..see off late there is no need for moderation too.
Even fights are handled well in slow motion matrix style.
No one attacking with bullets or sticks or stones.
All of us are very very peaceful and happy.
Chidananda Roopah Shivoham Shivoham!

See what I mean..it's obedience only for woman.
What about guys yaar?
They are always escaping.

who said, guys are always escaping? Check out this interesting song of Harry Belafonte, sung many a years ago, years before many of us were born.

pay attention to the lyrics, about Eve/ meeting girl at party/ blue eyed kid etc..

[video=youtube;kTDvCLAT8hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDvCLAT8hg[/video]

who said, guys are always escaping? Check out this interesting song of Harry Belafonte, sung many a years ago, years before many of us were born.

pay attention to the lyrics, about Eve/ meeting girl at party/ blue eyed kid etc..

[video=youtube;kTDvCLAT8hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDvCLAT8hg[/video]

In the Garden of Eden Adam built a home
When he settle down Eve start to roam
Many a night he spent in pain
Whenever Eve was Abel she was raisin' Cain

You meet a girl at a pretty dance
Thinking that you would stand a chance
Take her home, thinkin' she's alone
Open de door you find her husband home

was treatin' a girl independently
She was making baby for me
When de baby born and I went to see
Eyes was blue, it was not by me

Pazakkam - Ozukkam-Vazakkam
It is being portrayed as if we are at the end of the road no woman is trust worthy.If that's the case i differ on a whole.It is the negative message passed by few saddists deepens the hole in this society.let us rather promote the positiveness in all the good practices that cherished in this country.Needless to say transformation comes from within & with a start...so it should not be a question btw a guy or a girl rather at society at large...
i knew few caste in TN have a practice of wearing metti fr MEN as well..but the question is if the gentlemen /women are carefree of it..what is the purpose..?
It is the thought of schooling one needs to learn from the good role models.I am sure atleast we will have few in our own families....

Request people to attempt promoting good things rather sigh of on the conventional system as no one completely knows the real purpose.It is just different interpretations...

mangalyam is made by the groom's side - reverse dowry; it is logical and sensible to insist on a thick, heavy mangalyam in solid gold.

Dear Sir,

It's not fair to ban Thali cos there are many out there who cherish tradition.
So you see I DO NOT impose my style of thinking on others.
So I have no problems not wearing it.
BTW I do not wear rings either.
It really interferes with work and a potential source of bacterial reservoir when we see patients.

But I always wished that a Thali could be a small cute AUM to be worn with a short chain around the neck.
That I would have surely worn cos even now I like wearing my AUM on a silver chain.If only Thalis were like this...I would be so delighted.

41F2z6DXB4L._SY300_.jpg

mangalyam is made by the groom's side - reverse dowry; it is logical and sensible to insist on a thick, heavy mangalyam in solid gold.

Why start marriage by making each other spend so much?
Moderation is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back