• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rudram Chamakam

Status
Not open for further replies.
dear friends,

We are supposed to learn Rudram and Chamakam from a Guru with the correct

pronunciations, maatras, swaraas and spurithams.

So don't try to follow the downloads with a printed text in Tamil or Sanskrit.

No one can read them or learn them so fast-almost instantly.

Wrong chanting will do more harm than good!

V.R.

dear friends,

V.R.

As corectly quoted by Visalakshi Ramani every one is prevented reading them without getting sikshai from good guru.The reason the Vedha mantrams are the sounds of nature roaming in the air when the air was unpoluted and captured by our ancient rishis and compiled for the benifit of the humanity.they are cosidered the breating sound of Lord Paramasivan So they attach more importance to the phonetic value of every letter.There are half letters quarter letters and combination of letters which cannot be expressed in true phonetic sound in print media.The print media may be used for refernce when one has no regular chanting to back up memory.Let God forgive people who experimet without full knowledge.

Dear Mr, Wrongan,

Thank you for your reply. This is jet age! So people are ready to do anything just to save time! But it is not possible in serious spiritual matters.

You are right even though your name sounds 'wrong' (an)! :)
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear visalakshi thank you. I am Renganathan and passed 66 years..Since I may not be right always I have chosen that name. With regards.wrongan.

Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

Nobody can be always right! :)

But strangely those who are wrong are always those who refuse to accept it.

Since you are ready to accept that you may not be right always, you must be alright almost always! :)

Nice to come across people who are ready to face reality!
with warm regards,
V.R

Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

Nobody can be always right! :)

But strangely those who are wrong are always those who refuse to accept it.

Since you are ready to accept that you may not be right always, you must be alright almost always! :)

Nice to come across people who are ready to face reality!
with warm regards,
V.R

icon7.gif

Very many thanks with a smile With regards wrongan.

dear friends,

V.R.

Reading Rudram and Chamakam from books Some more information. It is prohibited. In sanskrit a single word has different meaning.So one has to infer with reference to contest.There will definitely be ambquity.So vedha mantrams leave nothing
to choise. They want to be more emphatic. So they use 'Swaram'to indicate the correct meaning.Vedham Chanting with out Swaram is meaningless. And at times will spoil your reasonable desire.A simple example which I know.In yagams we sacrifice 'AJABEEJAM' .Ajabeejam if chanted in high tone refers to Non germinating grains pulses etc. On the contrary if chanted in low tone it refer to the Genitals of GOAT. So swaram is important to Rudram Chamakam and all vedha mantrams.Instead of fighting with that ie.experimenting we can attend places where they are chanted by pundits because sravanam is also will
be highly benefitting.

Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

(Somehow I am not able to type your name wrongly!)

You are right again! Listening is as beneficial as chanting and is definitely

BETTER THAN WRONG KIND OF CHANTING.

Now a days Athi Rudram, Mahaa Rudram etc are being performed occasionally.

The people living nearby can attend them personally. Otherwise a C.D or a

cassette of Rudram chanted by eminent pundits can be played at home.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

(Somehow I am not able to type your name wrongly!)

You are right again! Listening is as beneficial as chanting and is definitely

BETTER THAN WRONG KIND OF CHANTING.

Now a days Athi Rudram, Mahaa Rudram etc are being performed occasionally.

The people living nearby can attend them personally. Otherwise a C.D or a

cassette of Rudram chanted by eminent pundits can be played at home.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Vislakshi
I am happy to inform that I am a member of SRI MAHARUDRA JAPA SAMITHY (SMART) We go as a ghoshti of more than 120members to selected temples or from where invited and do maha rudram and athi rudram.Recently we are invited from GOKARNAM in uthara kannada for athi rudram for 11days during January 2011. With warm regards wrongan.

Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

I can imagine the thrill of listening to a group of 120 well trained chanters of

Rudram and Chamakam! It must be the experience of one's life time.

I like Chamakam better, may be because it sounds more musical and seeks to be

blessed with everything good in life.

I used to attend Vedic chanting classes (about 70 students and the majority of

them were ladies). We learnt all the Sukthams, Rudram, Chamakam, Manthra

Pushpam and all the Shanthi Mantras.

But there are contradicting opinions as to whether ladies, even those who are 55+

can chant Vedas, Sukthams etc. Can you throw some light on this? I used to read

Devi Maahaatmyam regularly until one pundit forbade me :( from doing so!

Awaiting your reply with more useful info,
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

I can imagine the thrill of listening to a group of 120 well trained chanters of

Rudram and Chamakam! It must be the experience of one's life time.

I like Chamakam better, may be because it sounds more musical and seeks to be

blessed with everything good in life.

I used to attend Vedic chanting classes (about 70 students and the majority of

them were ladies). We learnt all the Sukthams, Rudram, Chamakam, Manthra

Pushpam and all the Shanthi Mantras.

But there are contradicting opinions as to whether ladies, even those who are 55+

can chant Vedas, Sukthams etc. Can you throw some light on this? I used to read

Devi Maahaatmyam regularly until one pundit forbade me :( from doing so!

Awaiting your reply with more useful info,
with warm regards,
V.R.
Dear Visalakshi ,
Thanks for quick response.To be informed I have mentioned the number as 120.At times
three buses are insufficient meaning the number swells even more than 200.I am happy
that you have learnt Rudram Chamakam etc.Rudram part is praising the almighty and
Chamakam is Begging our comforts.They both go hand in hand .and one should not
stop with rudram.I have a doubt how ladies were taught rudram etc.by a sastragnar.
Scriptures prohibit ladies from chanting Vedha mantram but no explanation is given.
Vedhic instructions are emphatic and no exemption is found anywhere. May be the
reason that the ladies are not suitable for adopting serious ordial of sparing their entire
time of the day.Secondly chanting vedham does not stop with a particular chapter and is
a cotinuous process.So they might have thought of excluding ladies who have to look after
the family and their concentration may get diverted So the restrictions might have been
imposed on ladies.But today the scenerio has changed But scriptures and sastras din't
allow any moderator to correct to suit the preset day. As long as we have faith in them we
should trust in full and expect any compromise .We should not go after the reasoning as
we have faith in Vedhas.Regarding devi mahatmiyam I will go after some learned
Ganapadigal or Jadavallabars and try to get details.
I am not aware where you reside but an useful information In Sankara TV one SRI
SESHADRI NATHA SASTRIGAL gives eloborated explanation about vedhic practices.
He is an eminent person and considered as an authority on Vedha sastras.The program
can be viewed @9.00pm on sundays and again on saturdays @11.30am.May our
discussion enlighten all the tamil brhmins forum members.With warm regards wrongan.

Dear Mr. Ranganathan,

I am not the person to miss the opportunity to learn anything new. My life has been one continuous process of learning and I make sure that I learn something new everyday-at least a saying or a slokam!

I live in Coimbatore and my official age is 65 ( as per the D.O.B given in the school) :)

I don't watch T.V but for the programs like Bhagavat Gita and Bhagavatham.
I will include the Sankara T.V program in my list.

When I asked why we can't read even Devi Mahatmaym the pundit told me that the slokas make women very bold and daring!
(unfit to be obedient wives?!)

He told me to be happy with the pArAyana of the Lalitha and Vishnu SahasranAmAs. That is what I am doing since the past 4 years. Before that i used to read Devi MAhAtmyam regularly on Tuesdays and Fridays and at times everyday (during DasarA )

We had a Yoga Dharshan nearby and learnt YOga, PrAnAyAmA and Meditation.
I have had three out-of-body-experiences and some unusual sound and light effects.

There after my guru forbade me to do meditation. He was a afraid that I may choose not to come back to my body - after these unusual experiences.

I obeyed him and gave up serious practices of DhyAnam.

Now I try to satisfy myself with the reading of the RAmayanA, Bhagavt Gita, NArayaneeyam, Soundharys Lahari, AbhirAmi AnthAthi etc. The latest additon is Srimad BhAgavatham. Mostly I sing whatever can be sung and read those which are too long to be sung.

Thank you for being the one person in the Forum who really understands what i am trying to convey.

with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Last edited:
Dear VR and Wrongan Sir,
Your mind of Accepting that you are Wrong reminds me Andal's Thiruppavai.In her 15 th song of Thiruppavai(Elle,Ilankiliye)
Shri Andal mentions "VALLEERGAL NEENGALE,NANEDHAN Aiuduga' meaning that Gopimar she awakens be Valleergal and let me be at fault''.
alwan

hi V R,
nice to hear....you are from coimbatore....my poorvigam is singanallur and i studied veda from palakkad.....in Sri Ramar Kovil in Ram

nagar...there are some regular veda classes/sloka classes are going on....even my 2 friends are vadyar in coimbatore....coimbatore

is basically a vedic based people..nice brahmana samoohams as well as a nice vedic centre at anaikaaty of sri dayananada sarasawti

swamigal ashramam.....perur basically a brahmin oriented agraharam........even sai baba colony has nice temples.......

regards
tbs

Dear Mr. tbs,

Long time...no see!

Coimbatore was the 'Manchester of Tamil nadu' once and probably IS

even now.

But without a doubt it has become the 'Spiritual Center of Tamil Nadu'

and may be of even South India.

We have Jaggi Vasu Dev's Yoga center, Arsha Vidya Gurukulam and

Vethatri Maharishi's ashram very close by. Cultural and Spiritual

activities are going on throughout the year.

If I were a little younger, had a better health and some mode of

independent transport, I won't miss any of them.

My two sisters, one uncle and mother have settled down at Palghat. But

regarding to weather conditions, there is so much of difference between

Palghat and Coimbatore, even though they are so close by.

Where do you live now? In India or abroad?

with warm regards,
V.R.

hi V R
i know siruvani is blessing in disuise for coimbatore.....i left coimbatore long back....even palakkad too....more than 30 years......

now in a great country....in a great world.......NOW SETTLED IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA....life with burger/bagel and pizza...

i miss annapurna/gowri shankar in gandhi puram.......i born in coimbatore and brought up in palghat agraharams......with great

shastha preethis........thanks for raji ram's usa pics......pizza/bagels......EVEN I WAS IN TIMES SQUARE IN NYC FOR NEW YEAR 2011

regards
tbs

dear Mr. tbs,

From Coimbatore to U.S.A!

Are you a professor in a university there?

Your pleasant memories involve Gowri shankar, Annapoorna and Saastha Preethi. You are really a honest man, since our strong childhood memories involve things we used to like a lot.

I too visited USA five times. But I could not write lovely informative articles and illustrate them with lovelier photos as my sister Raji Ram is able to do!

I always admire her drive to get all the required accurate and authentic details needed for her poems. Great lady! I sure am lucky to have her as one of my sisters. :)

with warm regards,

V.R.

rudram chamakam

Rudram is placed in 5th prasnam in 4th kandam of thaithreeya samhitha of Krishna yajur vedham.It contains 11 anuvagam and 169 mantram.1.If a single individual chants Rudra japam with Mahanyasam 11times it is called "RUDREE" 2.If 11 persons chant for 11 times after mahanyasam it is called "SRI RUDRA EKADHASI '3. 121 persons chanting simutaneously with mahanyasm for 11 times in a single day is "MAHA RUDRAM" 4. 121 persons chanting Mahanyasa poorvaka rudram for 11 times daily for 11 days it is "ATHI RUDRAM"--source sri maharnavam. At sri Mahabalehwar temple at Gokarnam shetram in uthara karnataka kodi (one crore) rudra japam is coducted from 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back