• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thaali: Whose culture is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

attachment.php

The thaali (mangalasutra or the sacred thread tied by grooms around the bride’s neck) was not referred to as a symbol of marriage in ancient Tamil literature. The great epic Silappadhikaram describes the marriage of Kovalan and Kannagi, which was a simple ceremony without a thaali. Sanskrit epics also tell the stories of princes, and none of them tied a thaali in any swayamvaram. So the thaali is not a symbol of the ancient culture of Tamils or of Hindus.

So, in no way is the present-day ceremony of tying a thaali connected to Tamil culture. Even if it is proved to be of Tamil heritage, wearing any cultural symbol reflects an individual’s decision. This cannot be forced on anyone. Our dress code today, for instance, was not there 100 years ago. If anybody wants to follow it, he or she has every right to, but no one can force force or criticise a person who does not want to wear it.
If it is argued that the thaali is part of Hindu culture, it can be asked which scripture in Hinduism made it mandatory for marriage and whether it has a binding effect on all sections and schools of Hindu religion. Who made the thaali or mangalasutra sacred? Who associated honour, pride and dignity with this rope, to be tied to the Hindu woman who was likely to be treated badly anyway and prevented from making public appearances after her husband’s death?
Why should a woman wear this symbol and bear social ignominy when it is removed in the most cruel manner after her husband’s death?

Whose culture is it? - The Hindu

I do not agree with the rest of the article and it also refers to a name that BARRED from this site.

Attachments

• TH_13_Oped.jpg
    TH_13_Oped.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,028
As any social anthropologist is bound to tell you, all rituals have a symbolic meaning and are a part of what defines a culture, though the rituals themselves may vary in the manner in which they are observed. Some traditional thaalis carry motifs of the Shiva linga, which symbolises fertility or a tulsi leaf symbolising purity. The designs and motifs vary in different Hindu sub-sects, according to the Hindu God in whom the family believes. In fact, the translated text of the laws of Manu, originally written during the Vedic period, available with a commentary by ancient Indian writer Kallukabhatta and translated into English by Sir William Jones, has an entire chapter prescribing the laws of marriage and the different types of marriages permitted in Hindu culture, including marriages by force and child marriages (which are illegal now), but does not specifically mention anything regarding the ritual of tying the thaali itself. And it is not as though modern marriage ceremonies strictly abide by ancient rules and customs laid down by Manu in these sacred texts. With time, many of these rituals have undergone changes too, including how people interpret as its significance. Also, Hindu women in unhappy marriages have enabling divorce laws in India to take recourse to in order to annul their wedding. The fact of having a traditional ornament around their neck is no longer an impediment for many of them.

Much ado about nothing - The Hindu

Great!

So that means we females who do not wear the Mangalsutra/Thaali can safely say we are extremely conservative and stuck to ancient Hindu culture which did not have a Thaali!LOL

That would be a nice story to tell females who keep bugging others as why some do not wear their Thaali.

I call these type of female who keep bugging others to wear their Thaalis as "THAALIBAN"

First off, I am against all forms of restrictions of free speech – as I said earlier, there should be NO restrictions at all. It is bizarre in today’s world for someone to be punished in any form for just speaking his mind!!

Having said this, Thaali is fundamentally a South Indian origin, & mostly south Indians wear it!!. Who got the idea that it is not aTamil Origin?

Deliberately obfuscating history (denying tamils/south Indians their legacy) has become a time pass for all historians, writers etc.. -

Thaali ceremony is a integral part of our culture & is described in the manusmriti !! King Manu is a south Indian king ack. by all researchers & as you can see, his traditions, culture pervades the south of India.

Simple net search can clarify such basic issues!!

Last edited:
King Manu is a south Indian king ack. by all researchers & as you can see, his traditions, culture pervades the south of India.

Simple net search can clarify such basic issues!!

What a let down!

From your previous researches you said Jesus was Lord Krishna and so on..

I thought you would say that Manu was Russian and was Rasputin!LOL

LOL ! well, didn't I tell you King Manu is also King Menes of Egypt :) That ancient Rome (incl. the Caesars), ancient Egypt, ancient greece, ancient Israel, Judah, Kingdoms were all in South India. And that the gold found in the Thiruvananthapuram temple is the "correct Solomon treasure" (most of the gold are inscribed with King Solomon Seal) :) :)

LOL ! well, didn't I tell you King Manu is also King Menes of Egypt :) That ancient Rome (incl. the Caesars), ancient Egypt, ancient greece, ancient Israel, Judah, Kingdoms were all in South India. And that the gold found in the Thiruvananthapuram temple is the "correct Solomon treasure" (most of the gold are inscribed with King Solomon Seal) :) :)

See..I knew you would have some bizzare answer.

BTW is there any link between "Thaali" and "Taliban"?

Renuka JI - Not to forget, I am working on an alien theory as we speak. you may jump of the chair, when you read it.. LOL !!

Renuka JI - Not to forget, I am working on an alien theory as we speak. you may jump of the chair, when you read it.. LOL !!

I wont jump off my chair cos I believe Aliens exist too.

Cos when I look at the sky and watch the stars at night I get convinced that God is intelligent enough to make other life forms too besides those on earth.

I get a strong feeling Alien men must be strapping good looking Greek Gods types!

Doc, Not that easy!. as always, my theories are different from the mainstream ones!. if I tell u aliens are already living among us, have lived here & keep going back to their mother planets, you may really jump of the chair when an alien walks into your clinic... LOL !!!!!!!! :scared:

Doc, Not that easy!. as always, my theories are different from the mainstream ones!. if I tell u aliens are already living among us, have lived here & keep going back to their mother planets, you may really jump of the chair when an alien walks into your clinic... LOL !!!!!!!! :scared:

I believe you..I have always suspected that Demi Gods might be among us too ..hybrid of celestial fathers and human mothers.

I am starting to suspect that you could be an Alien too!LOL

LOL !! one thing for sure, as usual you will find, the truth is way more stranger than fiction! I mean who would ever have imagined that the legendary Emperor Julius Caesar, Queen Cleopatra, etc.. are none other than our own Dravidian Kings & Queens :)

Last edited:
LOL !! one thing for sure, as usual you will find, the truth is way more stranger than fiction! I mean who would ever have imagined that the legendary Emperor Julius Caesar, Queen Cleopatra, etc.. are other than our own Dravidian Kings & Queens :)

So who is Barrack Hussein Obama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back