• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Teaching Morals Of Ramayana To Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOD created everything. எல்லாம் அவன் செயல். Science is GOD's creation. When Archimedes ran out shouting Eureka, he has been shown the light by GOD.

When an illiterate shepherd was blessed by GOD he became Kalidasa the great poet. The spark comes from GOD.

There is no question of Science Vs GOD. That is a myth created by the so called rationalists.

Then again you have to believe in an Ultimate GOD.

Unfortunately the school of Mimansa which has dominated the Hindu religion of the Brahmins does not believe in such an ultimate GOD.

Mīmāṃsā theorists decided that the evidence allegedly proving the existence of God was insufficient. They argue that there was no need to postulate a maker for the world, just as there was no need for an author to compose the Vedas or a God to validate the rituals.[SUP]][/SUP] Mīmāṃsā argues that the Gods named in the Vedas have no existence apart from the mantras that speak their names. To that regard, the power of the mantras is what is seen as the power of Gods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimāṃsā

Sangom, you should also look at the suffering that the white people had to undergo. The horrors of so many wars including two great wars. We were spared all that suffering.

Last edited by a moderator:
எறும்பு ஊர ஊரக் கல்லும் தேயும் is a Tamil adage and means that even an ant can scratch a stone by continuously moving on it. In a similar way, a human being will be able to unravel any tough problem relating to this world/universe if he/she is bent upon finding that solution with single minded concentration and sincerity. I do not believe in any "divine revelation" in the sense that a superior God sitting high above chooses a fit person and tells him/her the solution, but if we consider that something which never occurred to anyone else till then, has struck one particular person's intellect, to be divine revelation, then we ought to seriously consider why that "divine something" has been singularly partial to the white people since centuries, and why nobody from this land of apaurusheya vedas, Narayana and His vaak, etc., seem to fare very badly. Is God anti-Indian, anti-Hindu?

If so, is it not time we rethink our religion?

Dear Sangom ji,

Nope..God is not Anti Indian, Anti Hindu.

I feel all the westerners who discovered everything from A to Z must have been the Rishis of Yesteryugas born again in the West.

The reason they were born in the west cos they knew if they were born in India they would not have documented things too well..many things can get distorted by word to mouth transmission of knowledge.

No one believed in maintaining proper records and worse still and Indian will be his/her own enemy and try to drag each other down.

So God is not anti Indian/Hindu..we are Anti ourselves!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Sangom ji,

Nope..God is not Anti Indian, Anti Hindu.

I feel all the westerners who discovered everything from A to Z must have been the Rishis of Yesteryugas born again in the West.

The reason they were born in the west cos they knew if they were born in India they would not have documented things too well..many things can get distorted by word to mouth transmission of knowledge.

No one believed in maintaining proper records and worse still and Indian will be his/her own enemy and try to drag each other down.

So God is not anti Indian/Hindu..we are Anti ourselves!LOL

After all, our people were most particular in obeying any instructions of the sages. If the sages had invented a writing system, courtesy DR (Divine Revelation) it would have been easy to avoid all the problems listed above. The Divinity seems to have not helped the Rishis in this matter too, imho.

And, if the Divinity so wanted it could it not have made the Rishis as hindus and then "inspired" them to make all the progress in rational science? Instead, India and hindus have been getting only holy men, gurus, acharyas, etc. Is this not a parochial attitude of the Divine? Our Gurus pray and the benefit goes to Jesus' people! What a tragedy?!

Dear Prasad,

I read both your posts. Now I am having second thoughts about going ahead with the exploration. I can get something written on a ‘gora kagaz’ after exploring the truth along with the holder. But I find what I have here is a paper which is already filled up. And what more, it is filled up with something beautiful. An exploring mind is recording faithfully whatever it is finding in its journey of exploration. May be it will wipe out what is written earlier periodically to write something new and more beautiful. Why should I intervene? I appreciate your readiness to explore. I remember the upanishadic words ‘sathapO (a)thapyatha, sathapasthapthva’. So I stop the exploration together here. Please continue with your journey. All the best.

Cheers.

Mr. Raju sir,
I do not want to loose our dialog in the noise.
So let us not stop joint exploration. If you do not want to explore publicly, you may do so privately.
Thanks.

Sri Prasad

I am pressed for time to write a long post at this time. If there is further interest I may make find time to at least write one more post.

In that sense any discussion that is more rational and logical (even to understand those concepts that lie outside traditional logic) is likely to be relevant to any adult seriously wanting to teach lessons from epics such as Ramayana.

Regards

Beautifully written,
Please take time to write further.
Thanks

எறும்பு ஊர ஊரக் கல்லும் தேயும் is a Tamil adage and means that even an ant can scratch a stone by continuously moving on it. In a similar way, a human being will be able to unravel any tough problem relating to this world/universe if he/she is bent upon finding that solution with single minded concentration and sincerity. I do not believe in any "divine revelation" in the sense that a superior God sitting high above chooses a fit person and tells him/her the solution, but if we consider that something which never occurred to anyone else till then, has struck one particular person's intellect, to be divine revelation, then we ought to seriously consider why that "divine something" has been singularly partial to the white people since centuries, and why nobody from this land of apaurusheya vedas, Narayana and His vaak, etc., seem to fare very badly. Is God anti-Indian, anti-Hindu?

If so, is it not time we rethink our religion?

Dear Sangom,

It is not the case of Hindus that Vedas were revelation by a superior God sitting high above. It is certainly the case that vedas are all knowledge pure unaffected by time. They are apaurusheya in that they were not created by anyone for knowledge just exists and it is not created. So your case built up on the presumption that the apaurusheya vedas were revelations, collapses.

Cheers.

Dear Sangom,

It is not the case of Hindus that Vedas were revelation by a superior God sitting high above. It is certainly the case that vedas are all knowledge pure unaffected by time. They are apaurusheya in that they were not created by anyone for knowledge just exists and it is not created. So your case built up on the presumption that the apaurusheya vedas were revelations, collapses.

Cheers.

Dear Shri raju,

The apaurusheyatva of the vedas is usually insisted (particularly by Vaishnavites) based on their belief that the Supreme Lord created Brahma first and then gifted him with the vedas.

|| yo brahmANam vidadhAti poorvam yovai vedAnsca prahiNoti tasmai || "He, who created Brahma in the past, and who gifted him with the Vedas ...".

Hence it cannot be said that a superior God was not in the picture. Again, BG 15.15 states emphatically —

vedaisca sarvaih aham eva vedyo |
vedAntakrt vedavit eva ca aham ||
("All the Vedas speak about me and I am the ONLY (eva) one who knows all the Vedas.")

It cannot also be argued, standing within the boundaries of scriptures, that "vedas are all knowledge pure unaffected by time." because, we have the ChAndogya Upanishad statement —

||sadeva soma idam-agra aaseet ekameva adviteeyam || ...
= only "sat" existed in the beginning, alone and without a second.

So, saying that Vedas are unaffected by time is tantamount to blasphemy, imho, for any person who stridently champions the cause of the scriptures.

I remember one trend of thought expressed here by a few members, may be a year ago, to the effect that vedas are vibrations ever present in the whole cosmos which only some privileged souls like our ancient Rishis could receive by means of their special intellectual antennae and then these Rishis re-transmitted them for the benefit of the whole world in the form of the present, compiled vedas. This argument, though put forward to safeguard the inerrancy of the vedas and their "apaurusheyatva" as well, went contrary to the very scriptures which those members wanted, at that time, to protect.

(source:
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/may98/0110.html)

It is therefore clear that the Supreme Lord (who is Narayana for some) created Brahma and gifted to him the Vedas which, of course, speak about Krishna and who alone knows all the Vedas.

Kindly explain these (apparent) scriptural mistakes vis-a-vis your argument.

Last edited:
|| yo brahmANam vidadhAti poorvam yovai vedAnsca prahiNoti tasmai || "He, who created Brahma in the past, and who gifted him with the Vedas ...".

Sorry if I am wrong, but I had thought this meant - THAT which projected Brahman at the start of creation. It was not referring to lord Brahma.

Sorry if I am wrong, but I had thought this meant - THAT which projected Brahman at the start of creation. It was not referring to lord Brahma.

Brahman, the advaitic Truth is beginningless and endless. Hence something (THAT) or some one projecting that Brahman is a contingency which is impossible. Everything owes its existence to Brahman.

Again, Brahman is Nirguna according to Advaita; even the differing vedantas do not picturise Brahman as having got the Vedas as gifted or given to that Brahman by some other agency.

The next two lines of the verse in Svetasvataropanishad are as follows:-

तँ ह देवमात्मबुद्धिप्रकाशं ।
मुमुक्षुर्वै शरणमहं प्रपद्ये ॥

(tam̐ ha devamātmabuddhiprakāśaṃ |
mumukṣurvai śaraṇamahaṃ prapadye ||)

Hence, it is a prayer to "that deva" which may be taken to mean the Brahman, imho.

I have read books giving the meaning "Brahma" only for the word "BrahmaNam" in this verse. If you have any texts/urls giving the meaning "brahman" pl. let me know.

Dear Shri Sangom Sir,
My understanding might be wrong, hence the disclaimer at the start itself.
I thought विदधाति - refers to projecting
and
य: refers to one who is projecting and hence thought ब्रह्माणं indicates that ब्रह्माणं who is projecting.
Would the
तं ह देवं also refers to the same य: referred in the first stanza? In which case, this should also be Brahma - who inspires the mumukshus?
the
शरणं would then refer only to the second individual. So isnt all the references to Brahman?

Dear Shri Sangom Sir,
My understanding might be wrong, hence the disclaimer at the start itself.
I thought विदधाति - refers to projecting
and
य: refers to one who is projecting and hence thought ब्रह्माणं indicates that ब्रह्माणं who is projecting.
Would the
तं ह देवं also refers to the same य: referred in the first stanza? In which case, this should also be Brahma - who inspires the mumukshus?
the
शरणं would then refer only to the second individual. So isnt all the references to Brahman?

Dear Shri ozone,

The Sanskrit root dadh indicates "to hold, possess, retain; to give, present, assign, make over, etc." In the present context it is usually taken to mean 'having given', i.e., having created. brahmāṇaṃ means பிரம்மாவை (dwiteeyaa vibhakti) and so there is no scope for taking it as 'brahman who is projecting'. I give below the whole verse and its meaning in Hindi and English :

yo brahmāṇaṃ vidadhāti pūrvam ||
yo vai vedāṃśca prahiṇoti tasmai ||
tam̐ ha devamātmabuddhiprakāśaṃ |
mumukṣurvai śaraṇamahaṃ prapadye ||

जिन्होने पहले ब्रह्मा की सृष्टि की और जिन्होने उस (ब्रह्मा) को वेदों का प्रदान किया, उस (परमॆश्वर परमात्मा) जो आत्मज्ञानविषयक बुद्धि को (हम मनुष्यॊं में) प्रकट कर‍ते हैं, उसी देव कॊ में आश्रय रूप में ग्रहण करता हूँ ।

I take refuge in that deva who, in the beginning, created brahmā and then gifted him (brahmā) with the knowledge of the vedas, and who manifests in our intellect as the yearning to learn about the Self.

When is the right time to start educating our kids about God. Sometime they ask questions that i just know how to answer. Why God, where is he, what makes him etc. All we are doing now is making him sit with us and chant mantrams that we chant. He does that, but at some point we have to take him to a next level - make him Sriman Narayanan Conscious. Any suggestions on this Please?

Dear Shri Sangom,
thank you for the clarifications and explanations.
(and sorry for the deflections to the conversation)

without understanding Brahmam and maya, sagunam and nirgunam , logically one cannot dismiss the statement . Veda is appourushya.

I have read that once you understand and/or experience Brahman, even Vedas become "avedaa". Then the point whether vedas are apaurusheya or not will not be relevant.

All-

With reference to post # 82:
=====================

Though the question is addressed to Sri Raju let me add the following comments/observations to add to the discussions.

It is an uncanny event that the same three references chosen by Sr Sangom are also here at this website except it offers

more details - Yes, it is seemingly a Vishnavite's view point indeed!
==================================

RE: apaurusheya

For the benefit of readers let me reproduce the entire discussion:

Q. 1. Are the Vedas Apaureshaya? From what is presented here it
seems that the claim to non-authorship of Vedas is based on the fact that
the Vedas do not say that they are authored. All they say is that the Vedas
were taught by the Lord to Brahma at the beginning of creation. But, do
they say they were not authored? If not, what we have, at best, is unknown
authorship, not no-authorship. In this situation, since our Lord was there
without a second, and He taught the Vedas to Brahmma, it seems reasonable to
assume the Lord to be author and unreasonable to assume no-authorship.

Answer:
Yes, Vedas are apaurusheya. Consider the following two prAmANic statements,
one within the body of the Vedas and one outside it.

a. The SvestAsvatara Upanishad says:
|| yo brahmANam vidadhAti poorvam yovai vedAnsca prahiNoti tasmai ||
which roughly means: "He, who created Brahma in the past, and who
gifted him with the Vedas ..."
This clearly implies that the ParamAtma gifted to Chaturmukha Brahma
the Vedas which already existed. Hence a positive proof of the
non-authorship of the Vedas.

b. Sri Krishna says in 15.15 of the Bhagawad Geeta:

which roughly translates to:
"All the Vedas speak about me and I am the ONLY (eva) one who knows
all the Vedas." (Note: In the above statement, vedAntakrt does NOT mean
creator of vedAnta, rather it means the giver of the fruits of the Vedas
i.e. moksha. (Veda + antakrt).) In this context, not only does Krishna
quote the Veda as an independent testimony to His supremacy and glory, but
also says that He alone knows all the Vedas. It can be easily implied that
at best he could have been its author. But then again, Krishna could easily
have mentioned that he created the Vedas, since he has anyway taken the
pains to tell Arjuna (and the whole world) that he knows all of the Vedas.
So, an implied proof of the non-authorship of the Vedas.

Now, consider the ChAndogya Upanishad statement
sadeva soma idam-agra aaseet ekameva adviteeyam || ...
which confirms that only "sat" existed in the beginning, alone and
without a second. From this it might possibly be inferred that not even the
sruthis existed in the beginning. This in turn might imply sruthi's
personal origin. We should not just stop at this; rather, go the whole
nine yards and ask: What about Nitya Vibhuti (Paramapadam) and Nitya SUris?
The prefixes "Nitya" (or eternal) would have no meaning then. The same
scriptures talk about an eternal halcyon heaven, and eternal angels who
serve that Supreme. SwAmi Desikan resolves this matter by pointing out that
the "idam" (=this) refers to the prakrti and prakrti-related creation. This
is confirmed in other upanishadic passages as well. Since only prakrti is
under consideration, the Nityas, Paramapada and the Sruthis do not fall into
this realm.

In conclusion, there is proof (both internal and external) that Veda is an
independent pramANa of the Brahman, and that it is apaurusheya, and seeming
contradictions to this theory can be easily resolved. It is not that its
authorship is undeterminable, but that its authorship is non-existent.

========================================

I am neither endorsing the above post nor opposing the ideas expressed since scriptural debates are not of interest to

me. My point is to provide the reference here which from a certain perspective answers the questions posed by Sri

Sangom.

Question raised and explanations are not satisfactory in these blogs since they seemingly arise from assumptions and

infrastructure that is already flawed IMHO. I know that is not a fair statement since one would expect a description of

what the correct infrastructure is. That is like asking someone to explain in a blog why time and space are relative and

not absolute quantity. Even an attempt at this will only open more questions.

IMHO, the questions are like someone asking for directions in chennai but using the map of timbectoo but has names of

some streets that happen to be in Chennai. The only legitimate response in my view is to go and get a right map from a

right source.

Though the blogger explains from a vaishanvite's perspective (and I am not an expert on that) I thought I will share

what I have understood thus far about the various schools of thought.

The seemingly different and often diametrically opposing differences between these schools of thought such as Dvita and

Advita arise from an incomplete knowledge in my view.

The differences being the norm the only suggestion is to learn that deep understanding of Advita concept includes Dvita

practice and deep application of Dvita practice will lead one to prepare oneself to understand Advita .

How can two ideas seemingly opposite be unified?

The above is an age old discussions and is a major topic by itself. Let me share two my thoughts for what is worth.

1. Words like Brahman - Saguna, Nirguma, Maya are not easily understood since they lie outside the means of knowledge we

are endowed with. Anyone that claims to understand do not. To paraphrase a well known verse in Kena Upansishad

"Those who feel they know Him know Him not. Those who know that anything amenable to the senses is not Brahman, they know it best." (from Wikipedia translation summary).
In other words Brahman is truly comprehended by one who knows it is incomprehensible. The one who does not is the one that says he understands it all. It is unknown to those who think they know and known to those who knows it is not known.

Without understanding the above it is not possible to have meaningul discussions and even harder in my view to talk about specific schools of thought.

2.Let me use a metaphor to explain in an area that is much more familiar to most of us as to how two seemingly opposing

views are unified. In the area physics there is Newton's laws which is enough to describe almost all mechanical action.

Newton assumed space and time are absolute quantities. Einstein developed a set of ideas that showed that all these

fundamental items are actually not absolute. To design a rocket ship to go to Mars one needs mainly Newtonian mechanics.

Trying to use Einsteins's equations will be futile effort leading to computationally complex and almost impossible

situations. This is like trying to apply Advita in everyday life of duality of experience. However for the rocket ship

to reach Mars trip calculations have to include space-time curvature and relativity concepts. The Einstein's theory

reduces to Newtonian approximation for everyday life. Without understanding Newton's laws and Galilean transfromations

it is not possible to understand Einstein's formulations. The seemingly opposing views are actually unified as order of

physical reality that we experience.

So within a given context one can gave discussions about Vaishnavite's view point to declare this as the gospel speaks

of ignorance.

With reference to post #80 by Sri Prasad - thanks for your encouragement - I will find time to do another post to share my understanding with the members.

All-

With reference to post # 82:
=====================

Though the question is addressed to Sri Raju let me add the following comments/observations to add to the discussions.

It is an uncanny event that the same three references chosen by Sr Sangom are also here at this website except it offers

more details - Yes, it is seemingly a Vishnavite's view point indeed!
==================================

RE: apaurusheya

Dear Shri TKS,

It is my practice to copy extracts from the various web pages, google books, etc., as .txt files in order to save storage space. Only recently I became aware that without the original url, it will not be possible for me to give relevant source if I happen to quote anything from my stock of useful materials so stored. This piece was one such. After thinking about the propriety of giving the material without the relevant url, I decided to go ahead because I had paraphrased the original content to some extent. I distinctly remember this was done when there was some discussion in the past when some members put forward the view that Vedas are vibrations eternally encircling the universe and our Rishis could grasp these vibrations and then give it to humanity for its good, etc., but I felt at that time that there was no point in prolonging the discussion.

Thank you very much for the url. This has now been incorporated in my said post please.

The seemingly opposing views are actually unified as order of physical reality that we experience.

I am not a physicist but AFAIK, nobody views Einstein's formulations as "opposing" those of Newton; they say Einstein improved and further refined Newtonian theories. But that does not seem to be the case with the A, VA, D (shall we say AVAD for convenience in typing?) view points; they are "opposed" and the history shows it to be a case of very spirited intellectual fights about who says the truth. Hence, imho, the comparison of Physics is not correct.

Last edited:
Dear Sangom Sir,

Your questions as to the apaurusheyatvam of the vedas have been answered by TKS by quoting a certain references. I start from where he left. What I understand from an unbiased reading of the swetaswataropanshad and other upanishads as well as Srimad Bhagavatham(SB) is that vedas existed even before Chaturmukha Brahma created the universe. In SB there is even a reference to the period when he lost the vedas given to him by God and went about searching for them(though I am using the plural with ‘s’ after veda and ‘them’ etc, I believe the four divisions are for convenience only. When I thought about it I prepared a very longish post to your querries. But when I sat to edit it I did not know what to cut and what to leave. So gave up my effort and abandoned my text. This is a shorter version in which I have spoken only about the general idea.

Sir, I have travelled quite some distance in my search of truth. From the position of a sworn atheist I have progressed and has reached my present location and I am a believer today. My faith is not a blind faith. I strongly believe that philosophical knowledge should be accompanied by an act of worship of God. I believe knowledge developing into bhakti is the ultimate value, the consummation of all all spiritual endeavour and philosophical exploration. ‘Intellectual love of God’ is the animating principle in all that I do in my life. I am able to relate to MS singing “குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை மறை மூர்த்தி கண்ணா” with tears rolling down and I think I am blessed to have reached this location. I believe in the fact that the range and volume of counterdoctrines are enormous in the present time. In this scenario a devout assimilation of the pure truth of upanishads, as treasured and elucidated by the ancients is called for to reaffirm, work out and amplify that truth in the context of obfuscation,opposition and confusion. Implications have to be elaborated, partial visions have to be corrected and misinterpretation and repudiation have to be vanquished. This space may not be adequate to do all that. Many of the members here may not be interested in such a detailed inquiry.

The supremacy of scripture, it’s role as the revealation of the supreme is itself based upon its satisfactory fulfilment of the criterion of truth and validity settled by empirical intelligence. It satisfies its claim to truth by conforming to a standard that is not set up by itself.

There is agreement between all schools of meemamsa and all schools of vedanta on the question of the impersonality (apaurusheyatvam) and eternity of vedas. The insistence on this principle is somewhat difficult to understand from the modern standpoint. The vedas were no doubt intuited by the ancient seers But these schools maintain that the seers intuited pre-existent truths, the knowledge that they thus acquired were there eternally and they only rediscovered the ancient treasure. In vedantic schools of thought this eternity is not attributed merely to the knowledge enshrined in vedas . It is extended to the actual words and the order of words constituting the vedic composition. Vedas constitute eternal knowledge as embodied in eternal form Thus the form and the thought of the vedas are coterminous with the supreme reality that they reveal. In vedantic schools of thought we do not take the scriptures as springing from God. Nyaya school is the only exception to this position as they have their own speculative grounds to establish the existence of God. If vedas were to have come from God, it would result in a logical seesaw. ‘God exists because that is the verdict of the scriptures, and the scriptures are to be admitted, because they form revealations from God’. It must be clearly understood that the validity of the veda mainly rests not on its impersonality or eternity but follows from the theory of svatah-pramanya and the manifold application of the criterion of coherence. The impersonality and eternity just ensures the vedas freedom from defects of human compositions. Their validity is also supported by consideration of the inadequacy of empirical thought and the unreasonableness of rejecting knowledge that at once transcends empirical knowledge and is free from contradiction. This argument equally applies to supplementary texts like puranas, itihasas etc. too.

Whatever I have given above are not original to me. They are what I have learnt from Ramanuja’s Vedartha Sangraha. In that wonderful book he goes further to discuss very important things like:
1)what is Reality-or the philosophy of Reality
2)What is the way-or the philosophy of the Way
3)The philosophy of the End.

It makes extremely interesting and absorbing reading. If you have an unbiased mind free from presuppositions, I suggest that you please read it giving yourself sufficient time to reflect on what you read.

Cheers.

Dear Sangom Sir,

Your questions as to the apaurusheyatvam of the vedas have been answered by TKS by quoting a certain references. I start from where he left. What I understand from an unbiased reading of the swetaswataropanshad and other upanishads as well as Srimad Bhagavatham(SB) is that vedas existed even before Chaturmukha Brahma created the universe. In SB there is even a reference to the period when he lost the vedas given to him by God and went about searching for them(though I am using the plural with ‘s’ after veda and ‘them’ etc, I believe the four divisions are for convenience only. When I thought about it I prepared a very longish post to your querries. But when I sat to edit it I did not know what to cut and what to leave. So gave up my effort and abandoned my text. This is a shorter version in which I have spoken only about the general idea.

Sir, I have travelled quite some distance in my search of truth. From the position of a sworn atheist I have progressed and has reached my present location and I am a believer today. My faith is not a blind faith. I strongly believe that philosophical knowledge should be accompanied by an act of worship of God. I believe knowledge developing into bhakti is the ultimate value, the consummation of all all spiritual endeavour and philosophical exploration. ‘Intellectual love of God’ is the animating principle in all that I do in my life. I am able to relate to MS singing “குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை மறை மூர்த்தி கண்ணா” with tears rolling down and I think I am blessed to have reached this location. I believe in the fact that the range and volume of counterdoctrines are enormous in the present time. In this scenario a devout assimilation of the pure truth of upanishads, as treasured and elucidated by the ancients is called for to reaffirm, work out and amplify that truth in the context of obfuscation,opposition and confusion. Implications have to be elaborated, partial visions have to be corrected and misinterpretation and repudiation have to be vanquished. This space may not be adequate to do all that. Many of the members here may not be interested in such a detailed inquiry.

The supremacy of scripture, it’s role as the revealation of the supreme is itself based upon its satisfactory fulfilment of the criterion of truth and validity settled by empirical intelligence. It satisfies its claim to truth by conforming to a standard that is not set up by itself.

There is agreement between all schools of meemamsa and all schools of vedanta on the question of the impersonality (apaurusheyatvam) and eternity of vedas. The insistence on this principle is somewhat difficult to understand from the modern standpoint. The vedas were no doubt intuited by the ancient seers But these schools maintain that the seers intuited pre-existent truths, the knowledge that they thus acquired were there eternally and they only rediscovered the ancient treasure. In vedantic schools of thought this eternity is not attributed merely to the knowledge enshrined in vedas . It is extended to the actual words and the order of words constituting the vedic composition. Vedas constitute eternal knowledge as embodied in eternal form Thus the form and the thought of the vedas are coterminous with the supreme reality that they reveal. In vedantic schools of thought we do not take the scriptures as springing from God. Nyaya school is the only exception to this position as they have their own speculative grounds to establish the existence of God. If vedas were to have come from God, it would result in a logical seesaw. ‘God exists because that is the verdict of the scriptures, and the scriptures are to be admitted, because they form revealations from God’. It must be clearly understood that the validity of the veda mainly rests not on its impersonality or eternity but follows from the theory of svatah-pramanya and the manifold application of the criterion of coherence. The impersonality and eternity just ensures the vedas freedom from defects of human compositions. Their validity is also supported by consideration of the inadequacy of empirical thought and the unreasonableness of rejecting knowledge that at once transcends empirical knowledge and is free from contradiction. This argument equally applies to supplementary texts like puranas, itihasas etc. too.

Whatever I have given above are not original to me. They are what I have learnt from Ramanuja’s Vedartha Sangraha. In that wonderful book he goes further to discuss very important things like:
1)what is Reality-or the philosophy of Reality
2)What is the way-or the philosophy of the Way
3)The philosophy of the End.

It makes extremely interesting and absorbing reading. If you have an unbiased mind free from presuppositions, I suggest that you please read it giving yourself sufficient time to reflect on what you read.

Cheers.

Dear Shri Raju,

Your post is very scholarly. But imho, neither shri tks nor your post answers the point whether the reasons for the "apaurusheyatva" of vedas given in the website RE: apaurusheya, are correct or not, and if they are not considered correct, why so?

Shri tks talks about some extraneous points like "The seemingly different and often diametrically opposing differences between these schools of thought such as Dvita and Advita arise from an incomplete knowledge in my view. The differences being the norm the only suggestion is to learn that deep understanding of Advita concept includes Dvita practice and deep application of Dvita practice will lead one to prepare oneself to understand Advita .", etc., but, to my dense brain it is not clear how these points count in deciding whether the affirmations by Svetasvataropanishad, Chhaandogyopanishad, Bhagavadgeetaa, etc., are right or wrong. If these are found to be right, then the vedas were gifted to Brahma by the Supreme God, imho.

Will it be possible for either of you to give a simple decision on this?

Post #82 by Sangom Sir for reference:
The apaurusheyatva of the vedas is usually insisted (particularly by Vaishnavites) based on their belief that the Supreme Lord created Brahma first and then gifted him with the vedas.
Hence it cannot be said that a superior God was not in the picture. Again, BG 15.15 states emphatically —
("All the Vedas speak about me and I am the ONLY (eva) one who knows all the Vedas.")

This goes only to confirm my position. That God always existed and the vedas also existed similarly. God did not hold vedas within himself as something concealed to be revealed later to someone. Vedas were there and when Brahma came on the scene God just gave the vedas to him. As you have said it was a gift to Brahma. It is not said anywhere in the scriptures that vedas sprang out of by God or anyone else. So the vedas are apaurusheya indeed. So “yo brahmANam……..”and “vedaisca sarvaih……” are perfectly in tune with the apaurusheyatvam of vedas and there is no contradiction whatsoever. Vedas are knowledge and so they speak about the only permanent truth-the God. The superior God was in the picture but only as a facilitator.

It cannot also be argued, standing within the boundaries of scriptures, that "vedas are all knowledge pure unaffected by time." because, we have the ChAndogya Upanishad statement —
||sadeva soma idam-agra aaseet ekameva adviteeyam || ...
= only "sat" existed in the beginning, alone and without a second.
So, saying that Vedas are unaffected by time is tantamount to blasphemy, imho, for any person who stridently champions the cause of the scriptures.

I am sure you will agree that it is possible to understand the eternity of knowledge about Reality in a scheme of philosophy in which the governing principle of the universe is held to be a supreme consciousness. Omniscience is there at the heart of existence and hence the knowledge of Reality is there from eternity. That is why I said in my earlier (scholarly!!) post that the linguistic embodiment is also to be taken as eternal. Fluctuation in self-expression is a mark of finite intelligence. I repeat vedas constitute eternal knowledge as embodied in an eternal form. All spiritual apprehension is a revelation or communication. The secondary arguments that support this position are:
There is an unbroken continuity of vedic tradition and there is no memory of, or reference to, its author or authors any where.

I remember one trend of thought expressed here by a few members, may be a year ago, to the effect that vedas are vibrations ever present in the whole cosmos which only some privileged souls like our ancient Rishis could receive by means of their special intellectual antennae and then these Rishis re-transmitted them for the benefit of the whole world in the form of the present, compiled vedas. This argument, though put forward to safeguard the inerrancy of the vedas and their "apaurusheyatva" as well, went contrary to the very scriptures which those members wanted, at that time, to protect.

Dear Sir, I think I have answered this point already above.

It is therefore clear that the Supreme Lord (who is Narayana for some) created Brahma and gifted to him the Vedas which, of course, speak about Krishna and who alone knows all the Vedas.

Absolutely right. Yes; like Yasoda saw the whole universe that was known to her including herself in the mouth of that child Krishna when he opened it at her command.

Kindly explain these (apparent) scriptural mistakes vis-a-vis your argument.

Q.E.D.

Cheers.

Post #82 by Sangom Sir for reference:

...That God always existed and the vedas also existed similarly. God did not hold vedas within himself as something concealed to be revealed later to someone. Vedas were there and when Brahma came on the scene God just gave the vedas to him. As you have said it was a gift to Brahma.... The superior God was in the picture but only as a facilitator.

This gives the impression that Vedas are superior, co-eval or as important as the Superior God who is considered the absolute truth. The question then comes why the vedas talk mostly about agni, Indra, rudra, etc., devas, soma the divine herb, asvamedha or horse sacrifice and similar other sacrifices as also black magic (in Atharva Veda - like some specific yaaga for killing one's enemies), and many such mundane topics. It also talks about wars (the daasaraajna) and specific love affairs (urvasi and purooravas). Are we to take that these few mundane topics/events are of eternal significance? If so, why?

My second doubt is whether the Superior God gifted to brahma one set of the Vedas or many; we are told that there were very many Shaakhas of each veda (at least rig, yajus and saama) many of which have become extinct now. If so, does this not show that Vedas are like any other created things and they are mortal in a sense? Will it not be possible that the existing few Shaakhas of different Vedas will also perish like the rest, as time passes? So, where does the eternal nature of vedas go?

I am sure you will agree that it is possible to understand the eternity of knowledge about Reality in a scheme of philosophy in which the governing principle of the universe is held to be a supreme consciousness. Omniscience is there at the heart of existence and hence the knowledge of Reality is there from eternity. That is why I said in my earlier (scholarly!!) post that the linguistic embodiment is also to be taken as eternal. Fluctuation in self-expression is a mark of finite intelligence. I repeat vedas constitute eternal knowledge as embodied in an eternal form. All spiritual apprehension is a revelation or communication

Knowledge always is "about" something; it just cannot be unrelated. Even multiplication tables are about numbers which can be imagined by the mind in very many ways and put to use accordingly. Here, the universe is governed by a principle of supreme consciousness. This alone is not sufficient to make it the Reality which may be something other than this supreme consciousness, unless this is proved to be impossible.

Secondly, the line of argument seems to be circular; the Vedas constitute eternal knowledge, therefore knowledge is eternal.

The secondary arguments that support this position are:
There is an unbroken continuity of vedic tradition and there is no memory of, or reference to, its author or authors any where.
who are the Rishis, the "mantra drashTaas" of each hymn? Are they not the ones who 'gave' the mantras? If not how, and what for are they figuring in the Rigveda, say?

Yes; like Yasoda saw the whole universe that was known to her including herself in the mouth of that child Krishna when he opened it at her command.

Is it Yasoda saw or Krishna showed? Makes a lot of difference. And when some one says "I alone know the Vedas" if you find the entire universe but not the Vedas, which are eternal and independent of the universe, as per your first statement, how does it corroborate Krishna's claim? At best it may be said "Krishna has the universe in his mouth!". But it is difficult to conclude that Krishna alone knew the Vedas. (Any way, then, why are our Acharyas thinking that they knew the Vedas? Or, the last possibility - did the superior god withhold some vedas from Brahma?

Dear Shri TKS,

I am not a physicist but AFAIK, nobody views Einstein's formulations as "opposing" those of Newton; they say Einstein improved and further refined Newtonian theories. But that does not seem to be the case with the A, VA, D (shall we say AVAD for convenience in typing?) view points; they are "opposed" and the history shows it to be a case of very spirited intellectual fights about who says the truth. Hence, imho, the comparison of Physics is not correct.

The understanding of basic entities like space and time are diametrically opposite in classical mechanics vs in theory of relativity. One does not have to be educated in science to be startled by the fact that time is not an absolute entity. In other words if I were to take off in a space ship going at a very fast speed and return after an hour you might have aged 30 years though I may have experienced aging only by 1 hour!

So Einstein's explanation is not a refinement but a break-away from and opposite to traditional notions of time and space.

That is why the metaphor holds.

As far as historical fights over A, D etc , why care about that? There are ignorant people all through history. As far as how great Acharyas have provided explanations there are really no contradictions and that can be understood today which is the only thing that matters to me.

As far as characterizing those who argue as intellectuals all I can say is that this subject matter requires ability to abstract in order to understand.

The intellect comes in the way of that understanding, hence the so called intellectuals could be actually ignorant and miss the most basic truths.

People gather data, some can aggregate data as information, a few more can put that all together as knowledge and few can understand the intelligence behind that knowledge. Intellectuals come at any of these levels and hence differences of opinion is not a surprise all through history on such a subject matter.

Dear Shri Raju,

Your post is very scholarly. But imho, neither shri tks nor your post answers the point whether the reasons for the "apaurusheyatva" of vedas given in the website RE: apaurusheya, are correct or not, and if they are not considered correct, why so?

Shri tks talks about some extraneous points like "The seemingly different and often diametrically opposing differences between these schools of thought such as Dvita and Advita arise from an incomplete knowledge in my view. The differences being the norm the only suggestion is to learn that deep understanding of Advita concept includes Dvita practice and deep application of Dvita practice will lead one to prepare oneself to understand Advita .", etc., but, to my dense brain it is not clear how these points count in deciding whether the affirmations by Svetasvataropanishad, Chhaandogyopanishad, Bhagavadgeetaa, etc., are right or wrong. If these are found to be right, then the vedas were gifted to Brahma by the Supreme God, imho.

Will it be possible for either of you to give a simple decision on this?

The only reason I mentioned about D and A is because your post started out with view points of Vaishanvites perhaps using that reference.

Truth and reality are not subject to view points. My point is that the apparent differences are resolved with proper understanding.

I have not yet addressed the "apaurusheyatva" of vedas yet in my posts.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back