• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Yajur Veda Upakarma Avani Avittam 2022 (in Tamil PDF)

As per Tamil calendar, the current month is Aadi masam of Tamil year Subakrith.

Why is it called Avani Avittam?

I don't know who is asking this. We are very smart all other aspects we take it as face value and never question. But surprised when our people ask these kind of questions.
Avani Month on Avittam star we Brahmins who ever has Uppanayanam performed change the sacred thread. Subhakruth is the Name of the Tamil Year. It changes year to year as per order of names. You get all the names in our Panchangam.
Please get books to read instead of our more time on twit other appey. Secondly as far as Sacred Thread it is for every male in the our country. I have seen some people to come and perform it. But as they cannot keep the secret important they don't wear it all the time. As far as Brahmins Upasana Devi Gayathri is primarily essential and only with that all our other rituals get a mark of approval.

If a person person Thri-Kaala-sandhyandhanam then even if he doesn't perform any other pooja or rituals it doesn't get him any trouble. Sandhyavandhanam protects him.
Once in a family a member suffered with some mental issue.
How soever they treat nothing happened. Later to drive away he prayed and at that time, his mental saw an illusion. He saw a hand shows 3, he said No, then it showed 2, still he said No, then finally it showed 1, He said yes. Then immediately the ailing person slept peacefully. Later he got well.
The family asked him, what is that you said No, No twice and then said Yes.
The bad omen is reason for his ailments. The omen asked for the 3 times Sandhyavandhanam benefit to get rid him, I said No, then asked for 2 times and I said No, later when asked for 1, I gave him the benefits on 1 times Sandhyavandhanam to omen that get rid of him finally.
So we must accumulate good of Sandhyavandhanam. That benefit is stored unknown to us.

I don't know who is asking this. We are very smart all other aspects we take it as face value and never question. But surprised when our people ask these kind of questions.
Avani Month on Avittam star we Brahmins who ever has Uppanayanam performed change the sacred thread. Subhakruth is the Name of the Tamil Year. It changes year to year as per order of names. You get all the names in our Panchangam.
Please get books to read instead of our more time on twit other appey. Secondly as far as Sacred Thread it is for every male in the our country. I have seen some people to come and perform it. But as they cannot keep the secret important they don't wear it all the time. As far as Brahmins Upasana Devi Gayathri is primarily essential and only with that all our other rituals get a mark of approval.

If a person person Thri-Kaala-sandhyandhanam then even if he doesn't perform any other pooja or rituals it doesn't get him any trouble. Sandhyavandhanam protects him.
Once in a family a member suffered with some mental issue.
How soever they treat nothing happened. Later to drive away he prayed and at that time, his mental saw an illusion. He saw a hand shows 3, he said No, then it showed 2, still he said No, then finally it showed 1, He said yes. Then immediately the ailing person slept peacefully. Later he got well.
The family asked him, what is that you said No, No twice and then said Yes.
The bad omen is reason for his ailments. The omen asked for the 3 times Sandhyavandhanam benefit to get rid him, I said No, then asked for 2 times and I said No, later when asked for 1, I gave him the benefits on 1 times Sandhyavandhanam to omen that get rid of him finally.
So we must accumulate good of Sandhyavandhanam. That benefit is stored unknown to us.
So you really do not know why it is called Avani Avittam.
All this explanation does not answer my question.

Elders say that if all the festivals of the gods come every month, then if the festival is according to the Vedas, it is Avani Avitham. Avani Avitam is not just a ritualistic festival where the Antananarians change the new poonula. It has been from the beginning as a festival to start learning the Vedic lessons. That is why the elders called Avani Avita as 'Upakarma'. Upakarma means beginning, Vedaramba means. The full moon after Aadi Amavasa is celebrated as Avani Avita day.

The Vedas are recited by the Supreme Lord to the Rishis and are used for the benefit of all beings on earth. Others say that these Vedas, which are recited daily in various rituals such as pujas and homams, also cause doshas. There are many mistakes like reciting fast without a certain time interval, reciting half without understanding, reciting only half to end briefly, many mistakes can happen during Vedic recitation.

This is very, very wrong. Deficient recitation of Vedas can cause negative effects for this earth and life signs. Therefore, on this Avani Avita day, the Vedic vendors perform some Shanti Mantras and worship to remove the evils that arise during the recitation of Vedas knowingly or unknowingly. It is believed that this will bring benefits and happiness to everyone. Apart from that, on this Avani Avita day, they will mentally worship all the deities and pray that the Vedic mantras they chant will bring benefits to everyone.

Surely your point is right. Because like you I too very inquisitive about to know words meanings and significance etc.
I suggest an idea if you down load the PDF at bottom there is a name of the person and his Mobile Number is given. I read Kamkoti.org there it mentioned that this is not the work but it Avaniyavattam which people split into Avani Avittam. The one word signifying that we start learning Vedas from this day. As you will see after the new poonal is put there Veda aarambam two two lines from Vedas are recited for all to tell by the Sastrigal.
I have questioned about a word "thadangam". This appears at some people's sankalpam that many put sankalpam mantras. Even in this PDF it appears.
Please contact the person in PDF document and find out and let us know all about it. A fact will surely come out of discussion so I don't get upset or feel down for not knowing. But will surely search for it.
Regards,

I sure appreciate the PDF that it is with big Fond easy reading. Long time back Sri Krishna Sweets published a very detailed book for Upakarma about 6 to 7 pages in good fond size printing. But today Giri is printing in one sheet two pages, such a small fond how to identify it in between for continuing is very difficult.
I am really surprised why such a short cut year after year? Why not they take initiative to print it a 4 page sheet or small book. So that it will be useful for all.

based on suryan transit each month from 12 bhavas chithrai ,vaikasi, etc. is going. Based on chandran transit from 27 nakshathras chaandramana months are there. by name chaithram, vaisakam, jyeshtam, aashaadam, siravana, paathrapatham, aashvinam, kaarthikam, maargasiram, pousham, maagam and palgunam.

every chaadramana month is starting from the next day after new moon and ends on the next new moon day. you can see in the almanac every month after new moon day for this month 29th july they have written shravana suddham. shuddham means here sukla paksham. and after full moon day they will write as shravana bagulam= krishna paksham.on 12th august.

on shravana month full moon day yajur upakarma. on sravana month on sravana star=thiruvonam star. rik upakarma. must be celebrated. each star will not have 24 hour a day. sometimes some stars will have 22 hours. and sometimes some stars will have 26 hours. due to vrudhi and kshayam of each star from chithrai month this year shravanam month shravana star falls on adi month as per sun transit, but as per chandramana month shravana month is running. on avani month avittam star day bhathrapatha month is running as per chaandramana month.

we have to do on shravana month shravana star day upakarma as per our sastras. It may come on aadi or avani month as per sun's transit from one bhavam to another bhavam. madhwas and telugu people are adopting only chaandramana months.
sun takes 365 days to finish one cycle which is called one year. moon takes 352 days to finish one cycle. which is called one year as per chaandramana year. Also if there is sukran asthamanam or guru asthamanam during this period upakarma should not be done on guru or sukran asthamanam days then we are permitted by our sastras to do upakarma in aadi month or at purattasi month.

There isn't anything ambiguous if you go by Sanskrit. Use the right word Upakarma!

Upakarma means beginning or “Arambham”, i.e. to begin the study of the Veda (Veda Adhyayanam). For example, Yajur Upakarma means to begin the study of the Yajur Veda. Those belonging to the Yajur Veda observe the Upakarma in the month of Sravana (August-September), on the day of the full moon (paurnami). Why begin study of the Vedas on this particular day? This auspicious day also happens to be the day when Lord Narayana took the avatara as Lord Hayagriva. Lord Hayagriva as we all know restored the Vedas to Brahma and also is the God of Knowledge.

The next question is: why do this every year? In the not too distant a past, Veda Adhyayanam was performed only during the period Avani to Tai (from mid-August to mid-January). Therefore, one is supposed to perform an “utsarjanam” in the month of Tai, i.e., a giving up of the learning of Vedas from Tai to Avani. Just like a Upakarma function there was a Utsarjana function in Tai. The period between January to August was then devoted to learning other branches of our shastras. Thus the cycle of Upakarma and Utsarjana with regard to Vedic studies was established. However, this method took 12 or more years to learn just one veda. Slowly this became impractical and Vedic studies continued throughout the year.

Therefore, the first thing to do before the Upakarma function is to do a praayaschitta (atonement) for having learned Vedas during the prohibited period. Specifically, one atones for not having performed the Utsarjanam in the month of Tai. That’s why we begin the function by doing the "kAmo'karshIt..." japam. The purpose is declared as "adhyAya-utsarjana-akarana-prAyaScittArtham.." (to atone for not doing the utsarjana of Vedic study) and the sankalpam continues as "...ashTottara-sahasra-sankhyayA kAmo'karshIt manyur akArshIt mahA-mantra-japam karishye" (I will now do recite the great “kAmo’kArshIt” mantra 1008 times). The meaning in Tamil is "kAmaththAl seyya pattadhu, kOpaththAl seyya pattadhu" — done out of desire, done out of anger. The correct way of chanting this mantra is "kAmo'karshIt manyur akArshIt". Don’t add namo nama: etc. The right time to perform is immediately after your morning anushthanam like sandhya, samidaadaanam (if you are a brahmachari), brahma-yajnam etc.

based on suryan transit each month from 12 bhavas chithrai ,vaikasi, etc. is going. Based on chandran transit from 27 nakshathras chaandramana months are there. by name chaithram, vaisakam, jyeshtam, aashaadam, siravana, paathrapatham, aashvinam, kaarthikam, maargasiram, pousham, maagam and palgunam.

every chaadramana month is starting from the next day after new moon and ends on the next new moon day. you can see in the almanac every month after new moon day for this month 29th july they have written shravana suddham. shuddham means here sukla paksham. and after full moon day they will write as shravana bagulam= krishna paksham.on 12th august.

on shravana month full moon day yajur upakarma. on sravana month on sravana star=thiruvonam star. rik upakarma. must be celebrated. each star will not have 24 hour a day. sometimes some stars will have 22 hours. and sometimes some stars will have 26 hours. due to vrudhi and kshayam of each star from chithrai month this year shravanam month shravana star falls on adi month as per sun transit, but as per chandramana month shravana month is running. on avani month avittam star day bhathrapatha month is running as per chaandramana month.

we have to do on shravana month shravana star day upakarma as per our sastras. It may come on aadi or avani month as per sun's transit from one bhavam to another bhavam. madhwas and telugu people are adopting only chaandramana months.
sun takes 365 days to finish one cycle which is called one year. moon takes 352 days to finish one cycle. which is called one year as per chaandramana year. Also if there is sukran asthamanam or guru asthamanam during this period upakarma should not be done on guru or sukran asthamanam days then we are permitted by our sastras to do upakarma in aadi month or at purattasi month.
Good explanation.
But why do we call it Avani Avittam?
My contention is that the naming is wrong.
It should be called Yajur Veda Upkarma or Sama Veda Upkarma.

Surely your point is right. Because like you I too very inquisitive about to know words meanings and significance etc.
I suggest an idea if you down load the PDF at bottom there is a name of the person and his Mobile Number is given. I read Kamkoti.org there it mentioned that this is not the work but it Avaniyavattam which people split into Avani Avittam. The one word signifying that we start learning Vedas from this day. As you will see after the new poonal is put there Veda aarambam two two lines from Vedas are recited for all to tell by the Sastrigal.
I have questioned about a word "thadangam". This appears at some people's sankalpam that many put sankalpam mantras. Even in this PDF it appears.
Please contact the person in PDF document and find out and let us know all about it. A fact will surely come out of discussion so I don't get upset or feel down for not knowing. But will surely search for it.
Regards,
Thanks for getting back.
I could not find any attachment.
But thanks for engaging.

Good explanation.
But why do we call it Avani Avittam?
My contention is that the naming is wrong.
It should be called Yajur Veda Upkarma or Sama Veda Upkarma.
You are right about the name that it is Yajur Veda Upakarma only. Avani Avittam is more a common usage due to it occurring mostly in Avani month and Avittam star.

All these rituals originate from Sanskrit. So as per people's mother tongue it's variation. For me too many I seek explanation to a word quoted. As we hear Archanai, Abhishegam sandhyavandhanam brahmayagnam are regular in day to day life. When they say Owbasanam I question myself what is that.
Surely in our busy life we do not have time and also there is no one to teach and talk on this subject.
I would suggest to you, get yourself the explanation from a Temple priest or some Dikshidar who would explain to you and stand to accept or negate your arguments. Research on a medicine is different than an actual sufferer who gets cured and give suggestions to others.
So better do your research.

There isn't anything ambiguous if you go by Sanskrit. Use the right word Upakarma!

Upakarma means beginning or “Arambham”, i.e. to begin the study of the Veda (Veda Adhyayanam). For example, Yajur Upakarma means to begin the study of the Yajur Veda. Those belonging to the Yajur Veda observe the Upakarma in the month of Sravana (August-September), on the day of the full moon (paurnami). Why begin study of the Vedas on this particular day? This auspicious day also happens to be the day when Lord Narayana took the avatara as Lord Hayagriva. Lord Hayagriva as we all know restored the Vedas to Brahma and also is the God of Knowledge.

The next question is: why do this every year? In the not too distant a past, Veda Adhyayanam was performed only during the period Avani to Tai (from mid-August to mid-January). Therefore, one is supposed to perform an “utsarjanam” in the month of Tai, i.e., a giving up of the learning of Vedas from Tai to Avani. Just like a Upakarma function there was a Utsarjana function in Tai. The period between January to August was then devoted to learning other branches of our shastras. Thus the cycle of Upakarma and Utsarjana with regard to Vedic studies was established. However, this method took 12 or more years to learn just one veda. Slowly this became impractical and Vedic studies continued throughout the year.

Therefore, the first thing to do before the Upakarma function is to do a praayaschitta (atonement) for having learned Vedas during the prohibited period. Specifically, one atones for not having performed the Utsarjanam in the month of Tai. That’s why we begin the function by doing the "kAmo'karshIt..." japam. The purpose is declared as "adhyAya-utsarjana-akarana-prAyaScittArtham.." (to atone for not doing the utsarjana of Vedic study) and the sankalpam continues as "...ashTottara-sahasra-sankhyayA kAmo'karshIt manyur akArshIt mahA-mantra-japam karishye" (I will now do recite the great “kAmo’kArshIt” mantra 1008 times). The meaning in Tamil is "kAmaththAl seyya pattadhu, kOpaththAl seyya pattadhu" — done out of desire, done out of anger. The correct way of chanting this mantra is "kAmo'karshIt manyur akArshIt". Don’t add namo nama: etc. The right time to perform is immediately after your morning anushthanam like sandhya, samidaadaanam (if you are a brahmachari), brahma-yajnam etc.
I guess you totally missed the point of my question. I was curious about the naming of the function as Avani Avittam. It is not Avani month it is Adi month, and it is not Avvitam star either. I was only questioning the name Avani Avittam.
It might be better to read the question before answering. Your answer is absolutely correct but for a different question.

For example you can give absolutely right answer about Newton's 3rd law but it would not get any grade on a question about the function of Aswan Dam in geaography.

அந்த காலத்தில் பெண்களுக்கு படிப்பு கிடையாது. அவர்கள் சுலபமாக புரிந்து கொண்டு ஞாபகம் வைத்து கொள்வதற்காக ஆவணி மாதம் அவிட்டம் நக்ஷத்ரம் அன்று பூணல் போட்டுகொள்ள வேண்டும் என்றனர். வட்டம் கழித்த எட்டாம் நாள் ஸ்ரீ ஜயந்தி என்பர்.

உபாகரணம் என்றால் ஆரம்பம் என்று பொருள். --- வேத அத்யயனத்தை இன்னாளில் ஆரம்பிப்பதால் இத்தினம் உபாகர்மா என்று அழைக்க படுகிறது. உபா கர்மா நாள் முதற்கொண்டு கற்ற வேதத்தை அத்யயனம் செய்ய ஆரம்பிக்கவேண்டும். தை பெளர்ணமி முதல் வேதம் கற்க வேண்டும். ஆவணி பெளர்ணமி முதல் கற்ற வேதத்தை அத்யயனம் செய்ய வேண்டும். இவ்வாறு நாம் செய்யும் போது நமது ஆற்றல் புதுப்பிக்க பட்டு கூடுதல் சக்தி பெறுவோம் என்று வேதங்கள் உரைக்கிறது.

அந்த காலத்தில் பெண்களுக்கு படிப்பு கிடையாது. அவர்கள் சுலபமாக புரிந்து கொண்டு ஞாபகம் வைத்து கொள்வதற்காக ஆவணி மாதம் அவிட்டம் நக்ஷத்ரம் அன்று பூணல் போட்டுகொள்ள வேண்டும் என்றனர். வட்டம் கழித்த எட்டாம் நாள் ஸ்ரீ ஜயந்தி என்பர்.

உபாகரணம் என்றால் ஆரம்பம் என்று பொருள். --- வேத அத்யயனத்தை இன்னாளில் ஆரம்பிப்பதால் இத்தினம் உபாகர்மா என்று அழைக்க படுகிறது. உபா கர்மா நாள் முதற்கொண்டு கற்ற வேதத்தை அத்யயனம் செய்ய ஆரம்பிக்கவேண்டும். தை பெளர்ணமி முதல் வேதம் கற்க வேண்டும். ஆவணி பெளர்ணமி முதல் கற்ற வேதத்தை அத்யயனம் செய்ய வேண்டும். இவ்வாறு நாம் செய்யும் போது நமது ஆற்றல் புதுப்பிக்க பட்டு கூடுதல் சக்தி பெறுவோம் என்று வேதங்கள் உரைக்கிறது.
See my post #22.
Secondly, this post is derogatory to women. What has a woman got to do with the naming of a function purely for men?

I guess you totally missed the point of my question. I was curious about the naming of the function as Avani Avittam. It is not Avani month it is Adi month, and it is not Avvitam star either. I was only questioning the name Avani Avittam.
It might be better to read the question before answering. Your answer is absolutely correct but for a different question.

For example you can give absolutely right answer about Newton's 3rd law but it would not get any grade on a question about the function of Aswan Dam in geaography.
May be this can help..

Latest ads

Back