• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why was Mahabali killed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Vishnu being the Supreme Being, what all He did is Right; and because what all He did is Right, all those punished by Him were bad; and because all those people were bad, He punished them. He was always Right because He is the Supreme Being.....(Repeat ad infinitum.)

Seeming inconsistencies and injustices committed by Lord Vishnu are simply swept off by Bhagavatas by the above circuitous logic!

1. Vaali is to be dubbed bad, because Rama killed him, and Rama killed him; therefore he was bad!
2. Bali is to be dubbed bad, because Vishnu banished him to Paathaalam, and Vishnu banished him; therefore he was bad!

"Vishnu is always right because He is the Supreme Being" is best exemplified by 'Ajamila Charithram'. The Omniscient Supreme Being Vishnu knew all too well that Ajamila did NOT think of Bhagawan Narayana when he uttered that magic word, but it did not matter at all; He was pleased and so, Ajamila got into the 'superfast expressway' to Vishnuloka, all sins written off and even Yama's preliminary Inquiry discarded! Why? Of course because, Lord Vishnu is the Supreme Being; and He can do what pleased Him and none dare question His actions!

So, all Tamil Brahmins Forum Members, you have a clear choice now in front of you. Those of you who accept the Lord's actions, you may stay on Earth; others, please pack up and go to Paathaalam. Bali is awaiting your arrival there! ;) :)

Dear Shri CLN,

Given below is an e-mail ten years old. Some words there have been deliberately altered to suit our clientele here, some of whom are like Mary.

"

Subject :
FW:

Date :
Sat, 25 May 2002 18:28:42 +0100

This morning there was a knock at my door. When I answered the door I
found a well groomed, nicely dressed couple. The man spoke first:

"Hi! I'm John, and this is Mary."

Mary: "Hi! We're here to invite you to come kiss Hank's feet with us."

Me: "Pardon me?! What are you talking about? Who's Hank, and why would I
want to kiss his feet?"

John: "If you kiss Hank's feet, he'll give you a million dollars; and if you
don't, he'll kick the shit out of you."

Me: "What? Is this some sort of bizarre mob shake-down?"

John: "Hank is a billionaire philanthropist. Hank built this town. Hank
owns this town. He can do whatever he wants, and what he wants is to give
you a million dollars, but he can't until you kiss his feet."

Me: "That doesn't make any sense. Why..."

Mary: "Who are you to question Hank's gift? Don't you want a million
dollars? Isn't it worth a little kiss on the feet?"

Me: "Well maybe, if it's legit, but..."

John: "Then come kiss Hank's feet with us."

Me: "Do you kiss Hank's feet often?"

Mary: "Oh yes, all the time..."

Me: "And has he given you a million dollars?"

John: "Well no, you don't actually get the money until you leave town."

Me: "So why don't you just leave town now?"

Mary: "You can't leave until Hank tells you to, or you don't get the
money, and he kicks the shit out of you."

Me: "Do you know anyone who kissed Hank's feet, left town, and got the
million dollars?"

John: "My mother kissed Hank's feet for years. She left town last year,
and I'm sure she got the money."

Me: "Haven't you talked to her since then?"

John: "Of course not, Hank doesn't allow it."

Me: "So what makes you think he'll actually give you the money if you've
never talked to anyone who got the money?"

Mary: "Well, he gives you a little bit before you leave. Maybe you'll
get a raise, maybe you'll win a small lotto, maybe you'll just find a twenty
dollar bill on the street."

Me: "What's that got to do with Hank?

John: "Hank has certain `connections.'"

Me: "I'm sorry, but this sounds like some sort of bizarre con game."

John: "But it's a million dollars, can you really take the chance? And
remember, if you don't kiss Hank's feet he'll kick the shit of you."

Me: "Maybe if I could see Hank, talk to him, get the details straight
from him..."

Mary: "No one sees Hank, no one talks to Hank."

Me: "Then how do you kiss his feet?"

John: "Sometimes we just blow him a kiss, and think of his feet. Other
times we kiss Karl's feet, and he passes it on."

Me: "Who's Karl?"

Mary: "A friend of ours. He's the one who taught us all about kissing
Hank's feet. All we had to do was take him out to dinner a few times."

Me: "And you just took his word for it when he said there was a Hank,
that Hank wanted you to kiss his feet, and that Hank would reward you?"

John: "Oh no! Karl's got a letter Hank sent him years ago explaining the
whole thing. Here's a copy; see for yourself."

John handed me a photocopy of a handwritten memo on From the desk of
Karl letterhead. There were eleven items listed:

1.Kiss Hank's feet and he'll give you a million dollars when you
leave town.
2.Use alcohol in moderation.
3.Kick the shit out of people who aren't like you.
4.Eat right.
5.Hank dictated this list himself.
6.The moon is made of green cheese.
7.Everything Hank says is right.
8.Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
9.Don't drink.
10.Eat your wieners on buns, no condiments.
11.Kiss Hank's feet or he'll kick the shit out of you.

Me: "This would appear to be written on Karl's letterhead."

Mary: "Hank didn't have any paper."

Me: "I have a hunch that if we checked we'd find this is Karl's
handwriting."

John: "Of course, Hank dictated it."

Me: "I thought you said no one gets to see Hank?"

Mary: "Not now, but years ago he would talk to some people."

Me: "I thought you said he was a philanthropist. What sort of
philanthropist kicks the shit out of people just because they're different?"

Mary: "It's what Hank wants, and Hank's always right."

Me: "How do you figure that?"

Mary: "Item 7 says `Everything Hanks says is right.' That's good enough
for me!"

Me: "Maybe your friend Karl just made the whole thing up."

John: "No way! Item 5 says `Hank dictated this list himself.' Besides,
item 2 says `Use alcohol in moderation,' Item 4 says `Eat right,' and item 8
says `Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.' Everyone knows those things are right, so the rest must be true, too."

Me: "But 9 says `Don't Drink,' which doesn't quite go with item 2, and 6
says `The moon is made of green cheese,' which is just plain wrong."

John: "There's no contradiction between 9 and 2, 9 just clarifies 2. As
far as 6 goes, you've never been to the moon, so you can't say for sure."

Me: "Scientists have pretty firmly established that the moon is made of
rock..."

Mary: "But they don't know if the rock came from the Earth, or from out
of space, so it could just as easily be green cheese."

Me: "I'm not really an expert, but I think the theory that the Moon came
from the Earth has been discounted. Besides, not knowing where the rock came from doesn't make it cheese."

John: "Aha! You just admitted that scientists make mistakes, but we know
Hank is always right!"

Me: "We do?"

Mary: "Of course we do, Item 5 says so."

Me: "You're saying Hank's always right because the list says so, the
list is right because Hank dictated it, and we know that Hank dictated it
because the list says so. That's circular logic, no different than saying `Hank's right because he says he's right.'"

John: "Now you're getting it! It's so rewarding to see someone come
around to Hank's way of thinking."

Me: "But...oh, never mind. What's the deal with wieners?"

Mary blushes. John says: "Wieners, in buns, no condiments. It's Hank's
way. Anything else is wrong."

Me: "What if I don't have a bun?"

John: "No bun, no wiener. A wiener without a bun is wrong."

Me: "No relish? No Mustard?"

Mary looks positively stricken. John shouts: "There's no need for such
language! Condiments of any kind are wrong!"

Me: "So a big pile of sauerkraut with some wieners chopped up in it
would be out of the question?"

Mary sticks her fingers in her ears: "I am not listening to this. La la
la, la la, la la la."

John: "That's disgusting. Only some sort of evil deviant would eat
that..."

Me: "It's good! I eat it all the time."

Mary faints. John catches her: "Well, if I'd known you where one of
those I wouldn't have wasted my time. When Hank kicks the shit out of you
I'll be there, counting my money and laughing. I'll kiss Hank's feet for you, you
bunless cut-wienered kraut-eater."

With this, John dragged Mary to their waiting car, and sped off.

Presented by kelsos"

Dear CLN sir, I have some more basic doubts, being devoid of ஞானக்கண், I am not able to go beyond them.

The story goes that when Vamana turned into Thiruvikrama, he just grew larger and larger. As he grew larger one of his feet covered everything on earth. He raised the other foot and covered all of AkAsa. Now, he wanted the third step, but, if he has already covered all of heaven and earth, would Mahabali be already under his first foot, already crushed to death? Even if we are to assume Mahabali crawled out of the first foot to show his head, would he not be on the lord's first foot, and therefore, for the third step, Thiruvikrama had to step on himself?

Also, as Thirvikrama grew, the foot covering the earth must have spread out, like how an appalam will expand when it is rolled with a rolling pin (this is how the process was explained to me in a pravachanam by a revered SV acharya). Would this not then mean our hoary rishees who had pure and complete knowledge thought the earth was flat?

I agree with the sentiments that some bhaktas have expressed here. If you start questioning, the whole thing will come crumbling down, not a single itihasa or purana can stand this kind of scrutiny. This is why all our forefathers relied on responses like, இப்படியெல்லாம் கேட்டா ஒம்மாச்சி கண்ணகுத்துவார், when questioned. We were dumb and gullible enough to accept it. We were ready to be guided with கண்ணகுத்துவார் logic.

These days, youngsters who dare to think are not ready to accept such silly answers. The problem is not lack of proper guidance, the problem is the fantastic stories themselves. The best thing to do is to treat these stories as nothing more real or relevant than the Greek mythologies.

On second thoughts, there are lot to learn about human nature in Greek mythologies, but our puranas seem to glorify only superstitious ideas.

Cheers!

Nara,

The Epics and Puranas teach us many basic human values. The Hindu way of life is dictated by the values enshrined in the Epics and Puranas. There are many tales with specific moral. As we say the moral of the story is.... But then they get lost in the verbiage of the Epics and Puranas.

A number of collections of such stories are there. We have to teach our children the real value of the Epics and Puranas.

....A number of collections of such stories are there. We have to teach our children the real value of the Epics and Puranas.
I feel these epics and puranas are laced with so much bunk we risk harming our kids with superstitions permanently if we use them to teach morals. Something else that is interesting, clearly made up stories, but contains moral gems at its core, like Pancatantra Tales may be, would serve our kids very well. These also may contain some stuff that needs scrubbing, but IMO easily done compared to Itihasa puranas.

BTW, I have never heard of a Parimala in Ramayanam. Lakshmana behaves badly with many people, among them are Surpanaka and Sulochana, not to mention his own wife Urmila, but Parimala, I have no idea.

Cheers!

Shri Sangom ji,

Reading through Hank, John and Mary's story can give one the same 'enlightening' experience, listening to a Bhagavatha pravachanam can give! After all, it is the same story, in essence, isn't it so? ;)

I get too many mails asking me to keep their money for sometime in custody and I will be given a percentage share.
Recently I received a mail from 'Micro Soft Corporation,England that they took millions of Email IDs throughout the world and four IDs
were selected and I am one among the four lucky winners.
The amount of prize money offered is fantastic.If any member is interested they can send a PM to me.They can claim the full amount.
I am as well as all my family members are fully satisfied with what we have already.

I hope many of those who feel that Puranas etc are more some cooked up tales without basis and feel Lord Krishna was just a recent entry please make sure that you inform your loved ones that upon death..Garuda Purana and Bhagavad Geeta should not be read.
Its of no use just to be talking here but all such practises upon death will be still going on at home.
You have to practise what you preach..If you say one thing here and then do another at home thats just being a hypocrite.

And what I see the trend here is if someone stands up and defends abuse of Hinduism here in this forum..that person is viewed as a brainless blind bimbo Bhaktha but what ever any one else says is always the Gospel Truth.
Many are just playing fighter pilot here..just shooting at sight what you feel is not what you want to hear.There is no rational thinking at all..Its just a cult also of another kind and thats no complement.

Thats why I wrote..get new Final Rites..if anyone feels Hinduism is so unimpressive.
How many here are willing to answer my Question...

Q: How many of you who are willing to have an alternate final rites as a send off and not permit Geeta and Garuda Purana to be read when you die.

Dont give me all the cock and bull that my wife and kids are bhaktas and I cant hurt them..thats my duty as a Purus
ha etc..

You know when I read what you guys write..I respect Osama to a certain extent..He never abused his religion.

Last edited:
Sita was the only woman who stayed with her husband

all the time except when she was in Asoka vanam.

The wives of all the other three brother sacrificed their happiness

due to various reasons to prove that

life is NOT for self enjoyment but for the happiness of others!:moony:

.if anyone feels Hinduism is so unimpressive.

My dear sis, i don't think only Hindusim is unimpressive, it is as impressive, or as unimpressive, no more, no less, as any other organized religion, or unorganized one for that matter, but between organized religion and the religion of the common people like worship of Iyanar, I think those who worship Iyanar are worthy of understanding as they don't act as though they have the key to eternal truth.

Q: How many of you who are willing to have an alternate final rites as a send off and not permit Geeta and Garuda Purana to be read when you die.

Dont give me all the cock and bull that my wife and kids are bhaktas and I cant hurt them..thats my duty as a Purus
ha etc..
No cock and bull story my dear sis, I really don't care what happens to my remains when I am no more, they might as well throw the carcass to the wolves.

I respect Osama to a certain extent..He never abused his religion.
Did he? Many Muslims think he perverted their religion, even the Sunnis, let alone the Shites, the Sufies, the Ahamadiays, and what not.

Dear sis Renu, I have no problem with the faithful, I will not interfere with their beliefs, my response is only about the challenge you have issued.

Do you remember dear sis my answer to your challenge that I will turn a believer one day? You pick the time horizon, if I remain an Atheist for that duration, will you forfeit your faith and join me as a freethinker and enjoy life as is, free of mumbo-jumbo? If I turn a believer, you will already be a winner as I will be one among you singing the praise of the supreme godhead.

best....

My dear sis, i don't think only Hindusim is unimpressive, it is as impressive, or as unimpressive, no more, no less, as any other organized religion, or unorganized one for that matter, but between organized religion and the religion of the common people like worship of Iyanar, I think those who worship Iyanar are worthy of understanding as they don't act as though they have the key to eternal truth.

No cock and bull story my dear sis, I really don't care what happens to my remains when I am no more, they might as well throw the carcass to the wolves.

Did he? Many Muslims think he perverted their religion, even the Sunnis, let alone the Shites, the Sufies, the Ahamadiays, and what not.

Dear sis Renu, I have no problem with the faithful, I will not interfere with their beliefs, my response is only about the challenge you have issued.

Do you remember dear sis my answer to your challenge that I will turn a believer one day? You pick the time horizon, if I remain an Atheist for that duration, will you forfeit your faith and join me as a freethinker and enjoy life as is, free of mumbo-jumbo? If I turn a believer, you will already be a winner as I will be one among you singing the praise of the supreme godhead.

best....

Dear Nara,

Good that you are man enough to answer my question..i know many might not really want to answer that Question.
I wont give up Faith cos its not something which I adopt or discard..as I said Sanathana Dharma is eternal so how can I give up something which was eternal?
You know very well that I have never thought of you as a Non Believer cos you are the best example of a person who spends his whole day thinking of God..you see your thoughts are always focused on God whether you realize it or not..You are like Sishupaal..You are constantly exploring every aspect of Hinduism as to sometimes find fault or may be sometimes even bring out some salient features..so I feel you are doing more Sadhana than anyone else here..
For most people prayers end when they come out of their Pooja room but you its 24/7 you are thinking of God and religion.

Do you think I will call you Non Believer? I had told you this before also but you didnt agree with me.

Anyway my dear Bro Nara..I am a free thinker..Hinduism is the only way of life that allows us a free thinking capacity and I dont feel bound..

After all isnt the essense of Sanathana Dharma:

Sada Me Samatvam Na Muktir Na Bandhah
Chidananda Rupa Shivoham Shivoham

So I am free my dear Bro I never called myself a Bhaktha in any post I wrote..everyone assumed that I am self proclaimed Bhaktha..Even to have that thought binds..so I am free my dear..want to join me?

Last edited:
Parimala alias Meenakshi is the name for the beautiful woman who is known as Surpanaka. She had become the favourite of some of the feminists. One of them dug up her name by doing some research.

I do not believe in Anthyeshti or Shraddha. As I mentioned in another thread I would like Jalasamadhi. I have read Garuda Purana which is ions away from the Hindu concept of Brahman/Mukthi etc. Garuda Purana also reminded me of the belief system of the old Egyptians and the burial of the Pharoahs. It does not scare me.

A description of Hell is given here. It deals with ideas from all religions.

Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A question from this thread ‘why god kills his own followers’ remains a puzzle. The case of Mahabali is similar. As the grandson of Prahlada he ruled justly. Vamana Purana says ‘Trailokya Lakshmi’ entered his body: VAAMAN PURAN - urday.in Yet this chap was killed by Vishnu. Does not make sense. Unless this is viewed from the historic pov.

From the cave temple (sculptures and carvings) of Mahabalipuram, it is rather obvious that Bali was a devotee of Vishnu. The story of Bali being banished to Patala is not carved in those caves. So, when and why was Trivikrama incorporated as an avatara of Vishnu?

So, who really was “Trivikrama” or “Vamana” ?

The glitch in Vaman Purana starts with the Ashwamedha yagya and Bali’s occupation of Indra’s kingdom. Story goes that Shukracharya conducted the Ashwamedha procedure and the Bhargavas supervised it.

However, this yagya was opposed by the Atreyas, Gautamas, Kaushikas and Angiras. It is especially of note that Bharadwaja was the guru of Vaamana avatara (additional note - the Ailas being defeated by Bharadwajas is repetitive elsewhere too). It is rather apparent that Vamana avatara was a ‘creation” of the Bharadwajas, supported by Atreyas, Gautamas, Kaushikas and Angiras (or no ??)

While sending Bali to Sutaala, Vamana told him, “as long as you remain supportive of the Brahmins and the deities, you would enjoy all the pleasures of life. But if you go against their wishes then you would be fastened by Varuna's noose.” From: VAAMAN PURAN - urday.in

This IMO is just a continuation of the struggle between those who wished to position themselves as ‘Kshatriyas’ and ‘Brahmins’, using social power that came from conquering land.

Quite apparently this is a power struggle between the Bhrigus (Bhargavas) versus others (that is, Bharadwajas, Atreyas, Gautamas, Kaushikas and Angiras) in which King Bali appears like a mere pawn (Bali ka bakra).

The story of Parashurama as a “Brahmin juxtaposed into a Kshatriya” is also IMO an extension of the Brahmin Versus Kshatriya struggle. That story was created to achieve the objective of deposing so-called ‘Kshatriyas’ and replacing so-called ‘Brahmins’ as ‘Kshatriyas’.

To me, these stories are closely linked with the wars waged by the kshatropeta-brahmins, in which so-called ‘kshatriyas’ positioned themselves as ‘brahmins’.

The Vamana Purana with this Bali story is dated between the 8 th and 11th centuries AD (Hertel and Humes; 1993). Fleming dates it to 10th century AD. Collins to 450-900 AD. There are also historians who have dated Vamana Purana between 300–1000 AD. According to RC Hazra, chapter 14 of Vamana Purana was inserted into the text not later than 9th century AD. HH Wilson said it was compiled only “3 or 4 centuries ago”.

During the colonial time, 14 manuscripts of Vamana Purana were found from across India (Banaras, Poona, Calcutta), UK (London) and one manuscript was even found in Penn University. More details here: Full text of "PURANA VOL III AND IV"

It is very possible that for all its appearances as a Vaishnavite text, the Vamana Purana is in fact a Shaivite text. A text thru which factions (most likely between 8th and 11th centuries) claimed to be descendents of Bharadwaja, Atreya, Gautama, Kaushika and Angira, and sought to position themselves as Brahmins (??); after they perhaps defeated an existing Mavali chieftain. So probably they portrayed the defeated chieftain as “Mahabali”, and created the puranic story.

Which is possibly why the Vamana Purana story does not match with the story depicted in the Mahabalipuram caves.

All views on this are welcome.

Regards.

Last edited:
Parimala alias Meenakshi is the name for the beautiful woman who is known as Surpanaka. She had become the favourite of some of the feminists. One of them dug up her name by doing some research.

I do not believe in Anthyeshti or Shraddha. As I mentioned in another thread I would like Jalasamadhi. I have read Garuda Purana which is ions away from the Hindu concept of Brahman/Mukthi etc. Garuda Purana also reminded me of the belief system of the old Egyptians and the burial of the Pharoahs. It does not scare me.

A description of Hell is given here. It deals with ideas from all religions.

Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fair enough..at least you practise what you preach.

We are discussing Mahabali in this thread. There is no necessity to post a link which has nothing on Bali here.

Dear Happy Hindu,

Read some of the previous post..there was some confusion on Urmila and Parimala and the ideals of some charecters of the Ramayan.
I feel its relevant..If its not I rather hear that from the Moderator.

Dear Happy Hindu,

Read some of the previous post..there was some confusion on Urmila and Parimala and the ideals of some charecters of the Ramayan.
I feel its relevant..If its not I rather hear that from the Moderator.
I corrected my previous post. There is nothing on Urmila or Parimala either, in the link you have provided.

I corrected my previous post. There is nothing on Urmila or Parimala either, in the link you have provided.

Go through it again..the second link has about Urmila.
Anyway Happy Hindu I rather leave our discussion here cos we both have the options not to read something if we disagree or feel its irrelevant.
Live and Let Life..I am not doing any harm here and neither are you.

I agree with you. I could not imagine why Surpanaka was portrayed as Ugly esp when her siblings were portrayed as handsome (and that too as someone who "disguised" herself to look beautiful to win over Rama or Lakshmana). It does turn out that Surpanaka was beautiful as a child and as a woman.

Cutting off the nose was the punishment in those days for adultery. Sushruta was the first surgeon who described a nose reconstruction job: History of rhinoplasty

Methinks Surpanakha was not an adultress. Lakshmana need not have cut her nose just because Surpanakha professed love / desire for Rama / Lakshmana.

I hope many of those who feel that Puranas etc are more some cooked up tales without basis and feel Lord Krishna was just a recent entry please make sure that you inform your loved ones that upon death..Garuda Purana and Bhagavad Geeta should not be read.
Its of no use just to be talking here but all such practises upon death will be still going on at home.
You have to practise what you preach..If you say one thing here and then do another at home thats just being a hypocrite.

And what I see the trend here is if someone stands up and defends abuse of Hinduism here in this forum..that person is viewed as a brainless blind bimbo Bhaktha but what ever any one else says is always the Gospel Truth.
Many are just playing fighter pilot here..just shooting at sight what you feel is not what you want to hear.There is no rational thinking at all..Its just a cult also of another kind and thats no complement.

Thats why I wrote..get new Final Rites..if anyone feels Hinduism is so unimpressive.

ha etc..

You know when I read what you guys write..I respect Osama to a certain extent..He never abused his religion.

Smt. Renuka,

I tend to think that you are a typical frog in the well which is fully convinced that the there is no world outside of that well. Why I say this is that you have assumed - with undeniable authority - that reading Garuda Puranam and Gita are mandatorily observed by all the Sanatana Dharmis, a.k.a Hindus. The reality is far from it. Garuda Puranam was never to be read in the house when a person was on his/her last stages, and so was Gita, at least among the tabras who settled down in the erstwhile Travancore State; I don't know the beliefs among Palghat Pattars and probably Kunjuppu will be able to enlighten us. Among most Kerala families today, reading of the Adhyatma Ramayanam in Malayalam is a must. Hence, it is not as if GP and BG reading are sine qua non for the funeral to be successful :)

As to the funeral rites etc., there recently was a thread. Kindly see here for the opinions expressed by different members.

Incidentally, your post (under reply) is at 6.48 AM (IST I suppose) but different members log in at different times according to their convenience, during the daytime. Therefore, to expect responses from members as soon as you deign to donate one of your valuable posts, is a sign of "megalomania", probably imbibed. And to designate the first person responding as "man enough to answer my question" only goes to confirm the FITW pov.

Now to your very important, earth-shaking question itself:

How many of you who are willing to have an alternate final rites as a send off and not permit Geeta and Garuda Purana to be read when you die.

I think no one in this world has any say, irrespective of geeta and GP reading and so on and so forth, but to view and probably experience too, death as a sudden kicking out (not even a polite send-off) from this world.:)

I request you to read this post for my views on the subject.

It is a real surprise to note that your
wife and kids are bhaktas :)

Last edited:
Renu: How many of you who are willing to have an alternate final rites as a send off and not permit Geeta and Garuda Purana to be read when you die.

Am donating all working parts of my body for organ transplantation. Whatever else remains i ask to be burned in an electrical crematorium or thrown into the sea. No burning wood, no rituals, nothing required.

I hope i go to hell. Am sure i will meet many friends there, including the ones that are saints and super-religious. And am sure we will continue our forum discussions in hell. Except that we need not type, so it wud be more fun.

Smt. Renuka,

I tend to think that you are a typical frog in the well which is fully convinced that the there is no world outside of that well. Why I say this is that you have assumed - with undeniable authority - that reading Garuda Puranam and Gita are mandatorily observed by all the Sanatana Dharmis, a.k.a Hindus. The reality is far from it. Garuda Puranam was never to be read in the house when a person was on his/her last stages, and so was Gita, at least among the tabras who settled down in the erstwhile Travancore State; I don't know the beliefs among Palghat Pattars and probably Kunjuppu will be able to enlighten us. Among most Kerala families today, reading of the Adhyatma Ramayanam in Malayalam is a must. Hence, it is not as if GP and BG reading are sine qua non for the funeral to be successful :)

As to the funeral rites etc., there recently was a thread. Kindly see here for the opinions expressed by different members.

Incidentally, your post (under reply) is at 6.48 AM (IST I suppose) but different members log in at different times according to their convenience, during the daytime. Therefore, to expect responses from members as soon as you deign to donate one of your valuable posts, is a sign of "megalomania", probably imbibed. And to designate the first person responding as "man enough to answer my question" only goes to confirm the FITW pov.

Now to your very important, earth-shaking question itself:

How many of you who are willing to have an alternate final rites as a send off and not permit Geeta and Garuda Purana to be read when you die.

I think no one in this world has any say, irrespective of geeta and GP reading and so on and so forth, but to view and probably experience too, death as a sudden kicking out (not even a polite send-off) from this world.:)

I request you to read this post for my views on the subject.

It is a real surprise to note that your
wife and kids are bhaktas :)

Oh Sangom..

here you go again..1st I was a terrorist..then a Bull(Bison) Now I am a frog hhheehe
You know you are actually funny..you make me laugh..
Cool it yaar why you getting so worked up calling me Megalomaniac etc..
I am sure your heart rate must be some 120 beats per minute now.
I can feel your anger here on the Richter Scale here..dont have a Tsunami of emotions ok..I dont want to be responsible for your cardiac arrest.

Its Ok yaar if I am a frog in a well at least I croak Narayana Narayana..I dont spit out venom.

Hey Sangom Ji..you know I stop reading your other so called learned Threads long back cos its of no use..see knowledge has to be put to good use and when you spit venom here but write all so called Jnaana stuff somewhere else..it only goes to show you have no coordination in Thoughts Words and Deeds..

Ok you know from being Terrorist..then Bison(Bull) now I am a frog and that too a Megalomaniac one..hey wait a minute now you are also saying I have wife and kids..heheheehh you have even changed my sex..

anyway be cool be happy..dont get so mad for small things in life yaar..

I have a song for you..Its from my Jati only ( Manduka Jati)

YouTube - Crazy Frog - We Are The Champions (Ding a Dang Dong)

P.S..anyway the community where i come from we do read Geeta and Garuda Puranam upon death of anyone.

and just to add..its not as if just becos Nara responded 1st he is the only Man here but you know you should check out some of his pics..he is quite an Eye Candy only and being a Virgo he is a ladies man hehehehehe

Last edited:
I agree with you. I could not imagine why Surpanaka was portrayed as Ugly esp when her siblings were portrayed as handsome (and that too as someone who "disguised" herself to look beautiful to win over Rama or Lakshmana). It does turn out that Surpanaka was beautiful as a child and as a woman.

Cutting off the nose was the punishment in those days for adultery. Sushruta was the first surgeon who described a nose reconstruction job: History of rhinoplasty

Methinks Surpanakha was not an adultress. Lakshmana need not have cut her nose just because Surpanakha professed love / desire for Rama / Lakshmana.

Smt. HH,

Ramayana was / is a concoction by aryanist scribes who invented a valmiki (who is a vancara, according to you) and made it look like as if this poor valmeeki wrote the whole epic. I will request you to go through this silly-looking e-mail msg once more to understand the profundity of our gullibility in believing whatever has been written up in Valmiki Ramayana. I am sure you will not have missed "Animal Farm" by George Orwell and Boxer's second maxim viz., "Napoleon is always right." Only such a mindset will enable one to unquestioningly accept whatever trash has been passed on to us as epics and puranas, IMO.

Lakshmana comes out no better than a zombie; while bharata, as a character, may be credited with some life, Satrughna is as good as not being there. In that respect, if we do not credit Lakshmana with zombiism, then his wife Urmila stands taller even compared to Rama, who is a highly selfish and opportunistic fellow and has no qualms in forsaking his wife or children etc. The only moral of VR is that even Rama comes to his senses only when his asvamedha party was soundly thrashed by two young fellows in an ashram. In simple Tamil we have the saying அடி உதவுவது போல் அண்ணன்தம்பி உதவமாட்டார்கள். (even siblings don't help as well as a sound thrashing at the appropriate time!)

Renu: How many of you who are willing to have an alternate final rites as a send off and not permit Geeta and Garuda Purana to be read when you die.

Am donating all working parts of my body for organ transplantation. Whatever else remains i ask to be burned in an electrical crematorium or thrown into the sea. No burning wood, no rituals, nothing required.

I hope i go to hell. Am sure i will meet many friends there, including the ones that are saints and super-religious. And am sure we will continue our forum discussions in hell. Except that we need not type, so it wud be more fun.

Nice one Happy Hindu..dont worry I am also a certified body donor I carry a card with me so dont worry I am with you in that thought of putting the body to good use.
You know hell is more fun...that I have to agree with you..
take care
renu

Sangom sir, this is wrt post 48. The problem is when someone is raised to godhood the public wishes to see them as "perfect". Not as 'conditioned humans' but as 'absolute perfectness'. But it does not matter really. I feel every human does benefit an other human in some way or the other and hence the benefactor becomes a god to the beneficiaries. I do believe there is something called 'goodness' in every single person and hence there is God in each one of us. There is also some 'power' unseen and unknown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back