• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why My Father Hated India: An Indian's Point of View

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt that the author's observation that 1990 was a turning point is right on...India turned towards the Growth Trajectory and alas, Pakistan moved towards Anarchy, IMO.

My worry is, if Pakistan becomes a totally failed State (maybe, it's already) can India live in REAL peace?

Please chime in..

India can never live in real peace unless Pakistan starts appreciating growth, progress, economic development like India in a secular sense. Otherwise India will be forever plagued by radical Islam from across the border.

I agree with the writer on the point where he says "This army, whose might has always been justified by the imaginary threat from India ".

I remember when the cable TV started in india we used to get PTV as one of the channels and it used to have all the rubbish.

India can never live in real peace unless Pakistan starts appreciating growth, progress, economic development like India in a secular sense. Otherwise India will be forever plagued by radical Islam from across the border.

Yamaka, this thread starter, has declared openly that he does not believe in God. But even he would like this joke involving God. Here it goes...

One of the devotees of God asked him why He gives him so much worries though he prays Him everyday. God explained to him that his world is balanced. He (God) told him that he never gives anyone only happiness or only worries. To prove His point, God took the devotee and showed him the countries around the world.

They saw the U.S. God said "This is the country to whom I have given wealth. But the people do not have peace of mind"
They saw Africa. God said, "This is the country with natural resources. But the people live in poverty"
They saw India. God said, "This is the best of my creations. They are smart, hardworking, loving, pious, reasonably wealthy, etc. etc.". At this point, the devotee asked, "Where is the balance you proudly declared?". God replied, "look at the neighbours I gave them".

Last edited:
Yamaka, this thread starter, has declared openly that he does not believe in God. But even he would like this joke involving God. Here it goes...

One of the devotees of God asked him why He gives him so much worries though he prays Him everyday. God explained to him that his world is balanced. He (God) told him that he never gives anyone only happiness or only worries. To prove His point, God took the devotee and showed him the countries around the world.

They saw the U.S. God said "This is the country to whom I have given wealth. But the people do not have peace of mind"
They saw Africa. God said, "This is the country with natural resources. But the people live in poverty"
They saw India. God said, "This is the best of my creations. They are smart, hardworking, loving, pious, reasonably wealthy, etc. etc.". At this point, the devotee asked, "Where is the balance you proudly declared?". God replied, "look at the neighbours I gave them".

I expected the punch line for India to be - Look at the educated, self-loathing, white-skin-worshiping Indians with identity crisis !
icon7.png

Please read this article in WSJ - A very interesting and controversial view. Write about your considered views on this explosive matter. Cheers.

Why My Father Hated India - WSJ.com

I had already read it even before I saw this thread. I don't see any controversy in the article. Taseer is a gifted writer. The title is slightly misleading for ordinary eyes. Actually his father liked India and his argument was "India can conquer Pakistan with Bollywood, so why are they wasting time with missiles".

Even though Pakistan is islamic, it is divided along many ethnic lines that do not get along well. It has porous borders for all sorts of evil groups to trespass and trample all over it.

It is wrong to demonize Pakistanis. Overlooking political disinformation and a little nuisance called religion, Pakistanis and Indians share a great deal of commonground. Food, music, language, genetics, looks, taste, lifestyle.... In contrast there is little that is common between Indians and Europeans.

It is necessary that India takes a big brother role to help Pakistan and forge a stronger relationship, making use of common factors.

hi folks,
as an indian army soldier point of view....im an ex army personnel......india can never have sound sleep.....we lost our great friend

USSR....like it or not...we got a help always from USSR...even now russia tries....pakistan and china always a big head ache for

india.....bangladesh and srlanka are small head aches....so we have live with all kinds of head aches.....

regards
tbs

Hillary Clinton said in Chennai, "It's time for India to lead... and to help stabilize even Pakistan!"

That says it all.

I really wish that politics in India matures well in such a way that even Pakistan becomes a robust partner in economic growth and development in the region.

With China on the North East and Pakistan in the West, India just can't sleep well...if we have enemies at the borders!

Maybe, I am day dreaming!!

Dear Haridasa:

Actually, it's not a joke..you are correct mostly, except

"God said, "This is the best of my creations. They are smart, hardworking, loving, pious, reasonably wealthy, etc. etc.". At this point, the devotee asked, "Where is the balance you proudly declared?". God replied, "look at the neighbours I gave them".

As I have said many times in other Threads, only about 300 million Indians are reasonably wealthy... and God Almighty does not care much about the 900 million other "bhaktas" who cry for help everyday.... and Chinese - the Godless Communists- are flourishing better than Indians....

Why?

Cheers.

I had already read it even before I saw this thread. I don't see any controversy in the article. Taseer is a gifted writer. The title is slightly misleading for ordinary eyes. Actually his father liked India and his argument was "India can conquer Pakistan with Bollywood, so why are they wasting time with missiles".

Even though Pakistan is islamic, it is divided along many ethnic lines that do not get along well. It has porous borders for all sorts of evil groups to trespass and trample all over it.

It is wrong to demonize Pakistanis. Overlooking political disinformation and a little nuisance called religion, Pakistanis and Indians share a great deal of commonground. Food, music, language, genetics, looks, taste, lifestyle.... In contrast there is little that is common between Indians and Europeans.

It is necessary that India takes a big brother role to help Pakistan and forge a stronger relationship, making use of common factors.

Dr. Barani/Yamaka,

I disagree with the point that pakistan would even like India to take anything like a Big Brother role.

It is futile even to think of Pakistan as a brother. IMO. Maybe the people of pakistan are loving and caring but when it comes to india there is always 1947 in mind and it is the other way round as well in minds of some of the Indians who have witnessed the partition.

Everytime the talks start and we start getting to a solution a war breaks out or a terrorist attack happens.

I think it will be best for the Indian govt. to stop taking steps to improve the Bilateral tie.

I wonder how many have been to the Wagah Border for the Beating Retreat Ceremony . The people who have been there can feel the biiterness still prevailing.

As soon as the soldier start to lower the flag there are slogans of "Hindustan Zindabad" and "Pakistan Zindabad". But in between we also hear the slogans of "Hindustan Murdabad" and "Pakistan Murdabad".

Dr. Barani/Yamaka,

I disagree with the point that pakistan would even like India to take anything like a Big Brother role.

It is futile even to think of Pakistan as a brother. IMO. Maybe the people of pakistan are loving and caring but when it comes to india there is always 1947 in mind and it is the other way round as well in minds of some of the Indians who have witnessed the partition.

Everytime the talks start and we start getting to a solution a war breaks out or a terrorist attack happens.

I think it will be best for the Indian govt. to stop taking steps to improve the Bilateral tie.

I wonder how many have been to the Wagah Border for the Beating Retreat Ceremony . The people who have been there can feel the biiterness still prevailing.

As soon as the soldier start to lower the flag there are slogans of "Hindustan Zindabad" and "Pakistan Zindabad". But in between we also hear the slogans of "Hindustan Murdabad" and "Pakistan Murdabad".

If you fight fire with fire then there is only more fire, not less.

It is not entirely true that Pakistan fought India everytime. The Bangladesh war was primarily Indira Gandhi's decision. A mere excuse of 'refugees from East Pakistan came to India' is insufficient to wage a war. What did India do to Bangladesh after the war? Nothing. It left it to rot and suffer the floods. So, lets not assume that our politicians are somehow angels compared to Pakistani politicians. Remember, Musharraf was born in Delhi, Advani was born in Lahore! It should have been a cakewalk to forge a friendship between these two. Instead, Advani's lifetime ambition has been to wage a war with Pakistan. He is no different than Indira Gandhi. Thankfully sane minds as Vajpayee prevailed over Advani.

Building relationships takes time. A better exchange program in education, a simpler cross-border matchmaking, better trade regulations that allow investors from both sides to participate etc are required.

Arch Rivals UK and France have fought hundred year wars. Now look at them, almost hugging like newly married couple. If they can do that, India-Pakistan can do it in a jiffy.

DrBarani - My Muslim friends in India or USA are gentle and kind people. My Pakistani friends in USA are also gentle people. I have come across very few extreme types, and that too only in online forums.

But the theology of Islam in its extreme interpretation involves brotherhood only with those that obey the Sharia law, and deception (even posing as an Atheist if needed ) is seemingly sanctioned, if the end goal is to get people to obey Koran and follow Sharia law. People that follow deception or do other violent acts feel that they are doing 'god's work'.

Even in India they have special affinity to do disruptive things like purposely build a mosque close to a temple or church just to yell loudly their prayers five times a day.

I have deep disrespect for anyone that is deceptive, hence my opinion is biased. I am not sure how most Pakistani's could become friends with India since extreme types are around only to disrupt any peace initiative often with enormous violence.

If people outside India and Pakistan can be close friends with mutual respect I am not sure why this cannot be achieved elsewhere. The key is establishing mutual respect in my view. I hope that is possible.

PS: That is why I think many of the members posing as Atheists are not so because most Atheists that I know in real life are balanced, logical and respectful. They never denigrate others. Those that go out of their way to make fun of any religious belief often reflect misguided form of religion they were raised in. Such people will ensure there can never be any successful peace initiative.

Dr. Barani/Yamaka,

hi karthick,
i attended wagah border flag retreat ceremony....infact my whole family witnessed the ceremony in amritsar wagah border... its really

a emotional....very patriotic feelings...i saw a hug pic of jinnah in the other side....just 40 kilometer away to Lahore in national high

way drive.....here we can see the BSF and Pakistan ranger's feelings......but ppl are ppl....politicians are politicians in both side...

somebody wants keep alive these problems... so that they can survive.....

regards
tbs

But the theology of Islam in its extreme interpretation involves brotherhood only with those that obey the Sharia law, and deception (even posing as an Atheist if needed ) is seemingly sanctioned, if the end goal is to get people to obey Koran and follow Sharia law. People that follow deception or do other violent acts feel that they are doing 'god's work'.

Well, if you read bible, more people are killed there than islam has ever done in Quran or real life. The Crusades killed millions. The Conquest of American, Australian, African Continents resulted in genocide of nearly a billion natives. That is Christianity, the peaceful religion started by Jesus, the liberal peacenik. And how can we put more blame on Islam that was started by a warmonger Mohammed?

Islam began as warrior religion. Those people always lived in warprone middleeast. War was their way of life. Men were dying at 20. Hence, women needed better life, and one man was allowed to marry many women. It was purely population dynamics. Islam's structure was intended to fit the people of that era.

Certainly, islam today has more radical elements than other religions. But if islam wanted to show its muscle it would have done it during the era of Moghuls. Yet, after four centuries the muslim population was less than 8%. Moghuls were happy being emperors and didn't bother about thrusting their belief system on people using their might.

It is the Wahabi cult of islam breeds terrorists. Many islamic countries have figured out a way to keep them out. A more carefully planned relationship program can unite India and Pakistan in many grounds. Look at Turkey, Indonesia, Malaysia, UAE, and numerous other muslim dominated countries that we are able to find common ground with.

Leave it to people you get woodstock. Leave it to government you get Waco. Governments are always the public enemy #1. People seldom are.

If you fight fire with fire then there is only more fire, not less.

It is not entirely true that Pakistan fought India everytime. The Bangladesh war was primarily Indira Gandhi's decision. A mere excuse of 'refugees from East Pakistan came to India' is insufficient to wage a war. What did India do to Bangladesh after the war? Nothing. It left it to rot and suffer the floods. So, lets not assume that our politicians are somehow angels compared to Pakistani politicians. Remember, Musharraf was born in Delhi, Advani was born in Lahore! It should have been a cakewalk to forge a friendship between these two. Instead, Advani's lifetime ambition has been to wage a war with Pakistan. He is no different than Indira Gandhi. Thankfully sane minds as Vajpayee prevailed over Advani.

Building relationships takes time. A better exchange program in education, a simpler cross-border matchmaking, better trade regulations that allow investors from both sides to participate etc are required.

Arch Rivals UK and France have fought hundred year wars. Now look at them, almost hugging like newly married couple. If they can do that, India-Pakistan can do it in a jiffy.

Dr. Barani,

I agree to your thoughts however we have to live in reality. The politicians on either side of border can never think of promoting brotherhood.

My only point in the discussion was for the Big Brother approach. Why should India extend hands? We can still keep on growing the way we are growing by ignoring the neighbouring countries. Why should we take them along with us?

Indians have to become selfish in thinking of the growth of India as a country and stop thinking about the Indian Sub-Continent.

We as Indians always think what could have been had India/Pakistan/Bangladesh been together. But the truth of the matter is Past is Past and never comes back we have to be futuristic.

Did the British develop a Hong Kong in India before leaving? Everything acheived by India is due to its efforts and efficiency and not because our neighbours have supported us.

Its like a family with three Sons. The eldest son is expected to forgive everything regardless of the fact that the other two brother might be good for nothing. Its all because of the values.

Sadely there is no family here.

You have to be practicle and not live in fairy land. I am not supporting the indian politicians or the pakistani politicians.

We all remember about Jawant Singh and Advani's comment on Jinnah and the reaction in the political circles.

The point I'm trying to make is no matter what we do we cannot build a relation with Pakistan now.

On the Bangladesh perspective, please give me one good reason for India to support another country when it was in a crisis itself.

If it was not self suficient there should not have been a country in the first place.

Jinnah was a great man: Jaswant Singh - Times Of India

BJP expels Jaswant Singh over Jinnah remarks - Times Of India

'BJP disagrees with Advani's comments on Jinnah' - Times Of India

Dr. Barani,

I agree to your thoughts however we have to live in reality. The politicians on either side of border can never think of promoting brotherhood.

My only point in the discussion was for the Big Brother approach. Why should India extend hands? We can still keep on growing the way we are growing by ignoring the neighbouring countries. Why should we take them along with us?

Indians have to become selfish in thinking of the growth of India as a country and stop thinking about the Indian Sub-Continent.

We as Indians always think what could have been had India/Pakistan/Bangladesh been together. But the truth of the matter is Past is Past and never comes back we have to be futuristic.

Did the British develop a Hong Kong in India before leaving? Everything acheived by India is due to its efforts and efficiency and not because our neighbours have supported us.

Its like a family with three Sons. The eldest son is expected to forgive everything regardless of the fact that the other two brother might be good for nothing. Its all because of the values.

Sadely there is no family here.

You have to be practicle and not live in fairy land. I am not supporting the indian politicians or the pakistani politicians.

We all remember about Jawant Singh and Advani's comment on Jinnah and the reaction in the political circles.

The point I'm trying to make is no matter what we do we cannot build a relation with Pakistan now.

On the Bangladesh perspective, please give me one good reason for India to support another country when it was in a crisis itself.

If it was not self suficient there should not have been a country in the first place.

Jinnah was a great man: Jaswant Singh - Times Of India

BJP expels Jaswant Singh over Jinnah remarks - Times Of India

'BJP disagrees with Advani's comments on Jinnah' - Times Of India

Forging a better relationship doesn't mean "helping the other guy". It is mutually beneficial for a country to have good neighbours.

All this "we can't patch up, past is past" ignores history. Europe was once divided, remember? Even India was united under Guptas, broke up, united under other regimes, broke up, and finally united under democracy. Political maps always change. It takes only a couple of smart visionary politicians on either side.

As I said before, people are never the problem in geopolitics. It is the politicians. A handful of them.

And BJP needs better leaders. The older ones should retire or be retired at once. Advani is a major liability for BJP these years. Putting down diverse opinions (Uma Bharti or Jaswant Singh) is reminiscent of what Congress does.

hi
all westen abrahamic religions are some kind of genocide...take jewish/ christianity crusaders/islamists...so they prefer conversion methods....

they kill each other...in the name of faith/jihad/crusade....but eastern dharmik religions based some kind of dharma virtuous...

like hinduism/jainism/buddhism.....the whole system based on some kind of dharma chakra.....buddhism still survived many

south eastern countries....because of dharma.....DHARMO RAKSHATI RAKHITAH.....one who protects dharma....dharma protects

them....

regrads
tbs

hi
all westen abrahamic religions are some kind of genocide...take jewish/ christianity crusaders/islamists...so they prefer conversion methods....

they kill each other...in the name of faith/jihad/crusade....but eastern dharmik religions based some kind of dharma virtuous...

like hinduism/jainism/buddhism.....the whole system based on some kind of dharma chakra.....buddhism still survived many

south eastern countries....because of dharma.....DHARMO RAKSHATI RAKHITAH.....one who protects dharma....dharma protects

them....

regrads
tbs

This Sanadhana Dharma business of Hinduism came only after Adi Shankara. It wasn't the flagship of Hinduism before that. For that matter, it wasn't even called Hinduism. It was all Brahminism.

And Brahmins Jains Buddhists have fought mad mad mad wars of a different kind. They will organize debates. The loser of debate loses their heads. Rest of the loser community would be driven out of that village. Mr.Dharma and Mrs.NonViolence were missing in action. So, lets not be blind to the fact that oriental religions were always wonderfully peaceful. They have had their internecine wars.

Adi Shankara won a decisive debate in Kanchipuram against Jains. And he was the first to declare Dharma and announced that it was wrong to behead losers or drive out losing community. Today, there is even now a historic Jain village less than 4 miles from Kanchipuram.

Hinduism got a brave new start from Adi Shankara. Give him Credit for bringing the high moral ground to the religion.

hi

them....

regrads
tbs

tbs,

what about the recent genocide of the tamil population by the buddhist sinhalese, what about the genocide of the buddhist/confucius chinese by the buddhist/shinto japanese in 1930s (millions were butchered systematically), what about the genocide of the jain monks by the sekkizhar's saivites in madurai, 2nd sangam age?

if you look carefully, i think, you would find every culture has gone on to conquer and the vanquished usually lose everything, including the honour of their women. the last famous one between hindus that i am aware of the the razing of vatapi, a vaishnavite kingom by the pallava saivite narasimhavarman.

in pre islamic india, mass butchery between the various hindu kingdoms, and later buddhist/jain was the norm, i think.

so, i do not know, why we have the feeling, that we hindus, have pacifistic dharmis.

even if you take brahmins, the peshwas of maratha, usurped the rule from the successors of sivaji/sambahaji, and sowed the seeds of maratta anti brahminism, which exists to this day, and is second in intensity only shown to the tambrams by the other tamil tribes.

atleast this is how i learnt from history. :)

Dear Y,

This article misses several important factors that contributed to the present sorry state. But first, I have met and interacted with several Pakistanis in the U.S. Almost as a rule they are very happy to see another person from the subcontinent. I have never met a Pakistani when I was in India, so I have no idea about Paksitanis there, but outside of the continent, the ordinary Pakistani sees us as brothers and sisters. In my experience they are as nice or as nasty as anyone else, no more, no less.

Y, we are probably not going to agree, the most important factor for the mess we see in South Asia is the cold war. U.S. saw the friendship between India and USSR as a major threat for their global dominance. They looked to Pakistan to keep India down. The close relationship between U.S. and Pakistan goes as far back as the early years of independence. The US spy plane, U2, that flew over the USSR, including the one that was shot down, took off from Pakistan.

Pakistan was and still is in many respects, a U.S. client state. U.S. never cared for democracy or human rights of the Pakistani people, all they cared about was geo-political dominance their $ can buy out of the greedy Pakistani generals. Military coup, no problem, go for it, just as long as the general who came to power will do what U.S. wanted. The inevitable result of this policy was General Zia.

IMO, the turning point was Zia's ascension to power, not 1990s. He is the one who turned Pakistan into a Sharia based, Saudi/Salafi form of extreme and backward Islamic state. The assassination of Salman Taseer is directly linked to Zia, the one who enacted the Blasphemy Law.

Taseer, his tweet not withstanding, seems to be a liberal, moderate, sensible person with compassion in his heart for the poor and oppressed. Here is an interview of his daughter in which she describes her father in a more detailed nuanced way. It seems one of his first acts after coming to power was to take his daughter to visit Mukhtar Mai, a poor and illiterate woman who was gang raped on the order of the religious village elders :(. A short passage from the interview:

"But when the PPP government came to power, my father’s first official visit as governor was to Mukhtar Mai and to lend his support to this woman. And so, we went to the village, and he—he had been helping her fundraise for some schools that she was setting up. And it was really nice. He asked her to put her hand on my head in front of the entire village so that—you know, so that I could have a semblance of the courage that she has."

This man was killed because he dared to stand up to the religious bullies, the bullies who were nurtured by Zia, a beneficiary of unquestioned U.S. support.

Now U.S. has an impossible situation in Pakistan and wants India's help to somehow mitigate the situation. Where were these U.S. politicians when India was constantly terrorized by the Pakistan based, ISI supported terrorists? Now, U.S. sees terror emanating from Pakistan and they want India to help.

But, India's hands are not clean either. Kashmir will remain an albatross around their neck. Their brutal policies in Kashmir has alienated them from the local population beyond repair. Further, India seems to have designs for regional hegemony. This can never be in the modern world. There is more to gain by learning to treat all its neighbors with respect. To want to be a big brother will never work and will only cause grief for all.

To play a positive role in the subcontinent, India must first distance itself from the U.S. and try to plot an independent course joining hands with states like Brazil, SA, and Turkey. But, those who are running India, UPA or NDA, both are more than willing to be a U.S. vassal, as long as they can get a seat at UNSC or be able to set up nuclear power stations even by if it means exposing poor Indians to risks worse than Bhopal with no liability protection.

The WSJ Op-ed is fatally flawed as it fails to say anything about the nefarious designs of U.S. It seems as though the author was either ignorant or was constrained by the editorial POV of WSJ. With the present U.S. policy in South Asia, and India's dog-like subservience to U.S., I can only see dark clouds ahead for the ordinary peoples of India and Pakistan.

Cheers?

hi nara sir,
i agree with u....prior to 9'/11....many terrorist attacks on indian soil...especially bomay 1990/delhi parliament attacks... at that

india was telling abt davood ibrahim. /and other culprits....but USA was not ready to accept it....now it says..it helps on terror in

india....these are happening more than 40 years in india....but at time USA was sleeping....it thought that never happen in USA,,,

like aproverb....pattathaan paapathikku buddhi varum....பட்டாதான் பாப்பாத்திக்கு புத்தி வரும்

regards
tbs

Last edited:
Sri. Nara said -

.....India must first distance itself from the U.S. and try to plot an independent course joining hands with states like Brazil, SA, and Turkey.......

Dear Sri.Nara, Greetings.

Don't know about SA. The rest of the analysis reflects the reality.

Cheers!

Don't know about SA. The rest of the analysis reflects the reality.
Raghy, Mbeke and Zuma may be flawed, but I think Mandela has set SA on a liberal democratic course with no designs for regional hegemony. IMO, the world will be a better place if the long oppressed are united and stand against the expansion of the neocolonialist powers. K, sad to see Canada turning abruptly to the right :(, otherwise, I would have included Canada with Brazil, SA, and Turkey.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back