• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do you still believe in Superstitions and the rituals they bring along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever ceremonies performed are purely a private affair without affecting general public..

True. And in most cases they are annual events.

But in Tamilnadu statues of deceased political leaders of Dravidian origin are erected at every nook and corner of the streets affecting traffic and causing inconvenience to the public. .

Yes, this happens almost daily. It is a much more prevalent and regular superstition.

Almost every year on birth or death anniversary of these leaders, their followers go in procession offering garlands to the statue causing great inconvenience to the general public. The annual rituals are nothing but a superstition of the Dravidian parties..

Of course. It started even in the 60's when the ministers started replacing one or two photos of traditional gods with photos of all their leaders from the district level to the CM.

These Dravidian parties who claim that they are rationalists and doesn't believe in superstitions are more superstitious than most of us. .

That is always the case. People do not notice their own superstitions which is why they are popular and continue for so long. They don't notice how new superstitions are created every day. They delude themselves by rationalizing them.

Folks, with as much humility as I can muster I would like to say we can have a nice exchange if we refrain from taking the discussion to personal level.

Many of us succumb to superstitions one way or another. Superstition in the world of sports is very common. The best of students may not dare ignore their superstitious routines come exam time. But, I don't think Friend was referring to these kinds of superstitions.

There are superstitious beliefs that can be harmful to oneself or to the society in general. Extreme reliance on Jotisham is an example. This often leads to wasted time and money. What effect this has on the confidence and drive of our youngsters should be a matter of concern.

A few years ago Vastu was all the craze, it may still be. I wonder how many crores of rupees were spent relocating wells and changing the floor plan so that kitchen, bedroom, bathroom etc., are vasthu consistent.

The easy sway godmen and godwomen have upon the population can be traced to superstitious beliefs. As we try to criticize these charlatans, and I do believe they must be outed and held to account, even more important is to address the fundamental gullibility of common folks. Demystifying superstitions is fundamental to this.

Yes, the Dravidian "rationalists" may have their own superstitions -- it is for them to deal with. I won't fault you if you derive some satisfaction pointing out their hypocrisy. But, we need to go beyond just that and address the superstitious beliefs that do plague our society. Putting down rationality just because DMK/DK call themselves "rationalists" is not helpful for this effort. Is it like cutting your nose to spite your face? May be that is not the correct analogy, how about not cutting out a cancerous growth in your nose to spite your neighbor's face.

Cheers!

Dear Friend,

Before anyone can engage with you surely you have to lay down exactly what superstitions you feel everyone is practising, because one mans superstition is another's perfectly normal, natural belief. Surely since you've made the claims the onus is on you start.

Hello Everybody!
First Post :)
I accidentally stumbled across this forum and I found the people and the ideas propagated here interesting,to put it mildly.So many educated people yet so willfully ignorant and deluded.

welcome fri. your first post is so saprofic. are there only seven people in the world who resemble each other?

don't you think, that you should atleast introduce yourself here before posing a probing query like this?

there are many good hearted and basically decent people here. i am somewhat surprised that you did not respond to nara, re paying your dues.

for starters, what triggered you to these questions. ie which threads? which posts? and under what assumption do you think you are fit to ask the questions here?

notwithstanding, you might have noticed there are quite a few answers, for which where there is substance, you have not responded.

I have several questions but lets start with the question in the topic title shall we.

i think it is only decent, to repeat, give us a preamble of yourself.

this is a brahmin centric forum particularly focussed towards the tamil portion of that tribe. agreed that we have an open agenda, i, for one, who wishes this forum well, would like to ask you what are your loyalties.

i ask you to be honest. are you of tamil brahmin? or prescribe to the hindu faith? the reason being, that many a times in the past, this forum, in its innocence, has been the playing ground of folks who basically do not wish either the hindu faith or tamil brahmins well. it is easy, considering the anonymity of the web, to pose queries and sit back and watch the fun

so i request you to send a private message to the moderators and introduce yourself in your real avatar, and pending their approval, desist from posting any more such provoking queries.

hope this sounds only fair to you.

thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend,

Before anyone can engage with you surely you have to lay down exactly what superstitions you feel everyone is practising, because one mans superstition is another's perfectly normal, natural belief. Surely since you've made the claims the onus is on you start.

Further one who is sincere in investigating the issue will start with his own superstitions rather than bait others.

Dear Friend,

Amala,

Wonderful statement.

In India, our politicians have their own terminology which is totally different from the meanings shown in Oxford or Cambridge dictionaries.

For example, according to the politicians here if you have to be a `securlarist', then you have to necessarily possess anti-Hindu views. If you are not anti-Hindu then you are not a `secularist'.

Similarly superstitions are confined only to Hindu religion as far as Dravidian parties are concerned. The Prime Minister of India wearing a turban according to his religious practice is not termed as `superstition'. A muslim wearing a cap, a christian wearing a cross, Tamilnadu Chief Minister wearing an `yellow towel' - all these things are not considered as superstition. But if a Hindu has a `Thiruman' or `Vibhuthi/Kumkum' or wear a sacred thread - they are termed as superstition.

A Muslim lady wearing burqa or a christian lady wearing a white dress (Penta coastel faith christian ladies wear white dress) or a lady belonging to Dravidar Kazhagam wearing a black dress are not superstitions. But a Hindu lady wearing a Thirumaangalyam and Kumkum in her forehead are superstitions.

So unless ground rules are clear, there is no point in discussing about superstition in this thread.

Thank you once again for pointing out about the possible flaws in such discussions.

All the best

friend,

do i recognize you?

to being with - we do not require the help of missionaries to sort out troubles in the hindu home. we can well do it on our own. so, thanks.

next - you seem to presume that rituals and superstitions are one and the same. why?

there exists in hinduism several schools. hope you explore some of them before you begin.

just bcoz one school contradicts the other it does not mean that either of them is wrong. it only means, hinduism is accomodative of all paths.

the trouble comes with just 2 things - 1) historically factual representation and 2) social equality.

regards.

nara,
Folks, with as much humility as I can muster I would like to say we can have a nice exchange if we refrain from taking the discussion to personal level.

when personal questions or query is asked,one cannot be impersonal,isn't it?

Many of us succumb to superstitions one way or another. Superstition in the world of sports is very common. The best of students may not dare ignore their superstitious routines come exam time. But, I don't think Friend was referring to these kinds of superstitions.

a friend in need is a friend indeed.but do we know friend is a friend here or a foe.let's investigate that.

There are superstitious beliefs that can be harmful to oneself or to the society in general. Extreme reliance on Jotisham is an example. This often leads to wasted time and money. What effect this has on the confidence and drive of our youngsters should be a matter of concern.

jyothisam is a guideline.its not superstition.if it was so,how do you call your day today?how do you demarcate your time today and everyday?

A few years ago Vastu was all the craze, it may still be. I wonder how many crores of rupees were spent relocating wells and changing the floor plan so that kitchen, bedroom, bathroom etc., are vasthu consistent.

vastu shastram is all about archetecture.which provides jobs.everywhere in the world vastu is used,people of diff geographical existance may give it yet another name,like feng shui.

The easy sway godmen and godwomen have upon the population can be traced to superstitious beliefs. As we try to criticize these charlatans, and I do believe they must be outed and held to account, even more important is to address the fundamental gullibility of common folks. Demystifying superstitions is fundamental to this.

i am not sure of your background and upbringing.maybe atheistic born and conditioned.my common sense dictates,every society in the world today is predominantly god loving.obviously the majority cannot be wrong while minority atheists are right.

Yes, the Dravidian "rationalists" may have their own superstitions -- it is for them to deal with. I won't fault you if you derive some satisfaction pointing out their hypocrisy. But, we need to go beyond just that and address the superstitious beliefs that do plague our society. Putting down rationality just because DMK/DK call themselves "rationalists" is not helpful for this effort. Is it like cutting your nose to spite your face? May be that is not the correct analogy, how about not cutting out a cancerous growth in your nose to spite your neighbor's face.

Cheers!

living in tn,as tamizhan,you are a dravidian,whether one likes it or not.dmk is progressive outlook,while dk is stuck in gutter.throwing stones at gutter will only result in splashing the gutter back onto us.btw we are yet to find cancer cure,its still a deadly disease,doctors are doing there thing,and majority of them are god loving.atheists and agnostics have done zilch for civilisations,maybe we will have a stalwart like dawkins in future.

kunjuppu

what a lovely post to friend.only you have the knack of writing so well.the english and tamizh are proud of you my friend.:)

...a friend in need is a friend indeed.but do we know friend is a friend here or a foe.let's investigate that.

Yes NN, I agree, Friend did not bother to introduce himself, came in with an attitude, and now is missing. I was initially skeptical, and when I saw three of his responses I gave him/her the benefit of doubt, probably not a wise thing to do so quickly, and now with Friend missing from the forum, I am back to skeptical.

Whoever Friend is, and whatever Friend's motivation, I think looking inward and driving out some of our superstitions is a good thing, IMO.

jyothisam is a guideline.its not superstition.if it was so,how do you call your day today?how do you demarcate your time today and everyday?
Jyothisham has two parts, one is to calculate the movement of heavenly objects and tabulate calendar. It is indeed amazing that our forefathers, without the aid of any modern technology, were able to precisely calculate various celestial events. In this respect I agree with you.

But I was not referring to this. I was talking about predicting the future based on jadhagam, matching jadhagam for marriage, 7 and a half year sani, pariharam, and other such inanities.

...vastu shastram is all about archetecture.which provides jobs.
Once again, NN, I am talking about silliness such as filling up a perfectly fine water well and digging another one for the sake of consistency with vasthu placement theories. I am talking about remodeling not to add any value, but just to change the floor plan.

....obviously the majority cannot be wrong while minority atheists are right.
NN, are you serious about this? At one time almost everyone thought the earth was flat. According to Hindu ithihasa purnas the earth is held up by elephants, ashta dig gajams.

Facts are not established through plebiscite.

Cheers!

dear friend, your questions are legitimate, but i think you would agree that they are somewhat provocative. So, when you come into a forum with guns blazing, i will have to side with nn.

You need to establish your bonafides first. Show your commitment to civil and friendly exchange of ideas, and you will see that all your questions will be discussed in an intelligent way.

Cheers!
nara ji
one has to agree with your comments. Rituals and practice or superstition/belief/faith all are comes to any one, first from the families one who born and place where he lives.

We should have found out what is the realty behind any belief or practice.to prove to the present scientic world.

Many custom and practice or beliefs have got its own inherant meanings in it.

After all everything in life is belief only

nara,

Yes NN, I agree, Friend did not bother to introduce himself, came in with an attitude, and now is missing. I was initially skeptical, and when I saw three of his responses I gave him/her the benefit of doubt, probably not a wise thing to do so quickly, and now with Friend missing from the forum, I am back to skeptical.

Whoever Friend is, and whatever Friend's motivation, I think looking inward and driving out some of our superstitions is a good thing, IMO.

Jyothisham has two parts, one is to calculate the movement of heavenly objects and tabulate calendar. It is indeed amazing that our forefathers, without the aid of any modern technology, were able to precisely calculate various celestial events. In this respect I agree with you.

thank you nara,i am glad we agree on the above.

But I was not referring to this. I was talking about predicting the future based on jadhagam, matching jadhagam for marriage, 7 and a half year sani, pariharam, and other such inanities.

by making forecastings depends many lives in stock tradin,futures,currency markets ...etc.jyotisham is a limb of vedas,initially as,guidelines for doing yagnas,so that lokakshemum is obtained with propitiations to a higher evolved power.jadhagam again,is a scientific analysis of human psyche based on moved of celestial beings.our ancients consider bhu-lokam as a kshethram and extrapolate the same kshethram theory of the navagrahas,using subtle rays of light,as a factor for harmony in one's life.today there are marriage websites galore,so that a boy and girl can find a mutually acceptable mate,to lead life happily ever after.maybe the predictins go awry,and people get mad about it,like how you do,but then sir,your view as an american,the collapse of the real estate home industry,financial crisis,military crisis,homeland security crisis,unemployment crisis,..etc can we say,the educated intelligent beings are actually illiterates,who have let a global crisis to prevail,of which you are partly responsible in decision making affairs?what credibility atheists have,then?

Once again, NN, I am talking about silliness such as filling up a perfectly fine water well and digging another one for the sake of consistency with vasthu placement theories. I am talking about remodeling not to add any value, but just to change the floor plan.

sir,silly or intelligent,varies with time and place,imho.vastu shastra is a wonderful tool,for budding architects,civil engineers..etc.many make a living remodelling their house all the time or others home,so that economical activity persists.all these shastras boil down to simple plain economics of living,imho.

NN, are you serious about this? At one time almost everyone thought the earth was flat. According to Hindu ithihasa purnas the earth is held up by elephants, ashta dig gajams.

Facts are not established through plebiscite.

Cheers!

hindus never thot earth was flat,plz read our puranas,and this is a fact.most of the ideas were exchanged globally,and indians were/are a leading light in knowledge propagation.today americans are leaders with a diff,one has to pay one way or the other for american technology,as nothing is free in american society,which is a positive mental attitude.to ascertain somethings as facts,one needs intelligence first.plebiscite is also a way of ascertaining,isn't it?whether things get implemented or not,thats a diff issue alltogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Friend...

I am not going to agree with you nor disagree with you..but instead Thank You..
Because your question(whatever your intention was) has united lots of individuals here who otherwise normally disagree strongly with each other..
You have created a common uniting factor...

Life is full of rituals...whether we realize it or not..

• life itself is a ritual
  • we are here for a purpose...
  • in between life and death we go through many challenges..which are rituals itself..eg studying,earning,marriage,praying..
  • death itself is a ritual..we had lead the purpose of life
Rituals only become Superstitions when we dont think and leave our grey matter behind and function like a machine without understanding or even questioning what we are doing..

You are starting to question the purpose of a ritual and superstition..Thats good..
Thats the first step to Self Enquiry and we will realize eventually that the most difficult ritual in life is getting out of the ocean of existence and that my friend is not a superstition..

welcome to the forum...you set my mind thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back