• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

why do we need religion in our lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renukaji
Some are deeply indoctrinated that they cannot come out of salvation of soul ,rebirth theories and the like.

In their old age, they cannot change

Such types adopt a holier than thou attitude .

They are best ignored and left to rant .

If anyone says make the best out of life and live well , they see red and attack them for committing a huge sin.

All strict followers of any religion following its rules and rituals to the full end up this way irrespective of which religion it is.

Some of this type when they see others not following the rules of religion strictly ,they pounce on them and warn them of hells awaiting them in this birth or next.lol

They want perhaps others also to undergo what they have gone through and at least not say that they are enjoying a better life than them not following the rule set by

religion.

Shri Krish Sir,

I fully agree with your observations. Plus, when such 'religious' people find that others who say' make the best out of life, live well and enjoy', etc., are really doing well (and no calamity visits them) they are infuriated enough to curse and explode because they probably feel their so-called religiosity was all bunkum!

Shri Krish Sir,

I fully agree with your observations. Plus, when such 'religious' people find that others who say' make the best out of life, live well and enjoy', etc., are really doing well (and no calamity visits them) they are infuriated enough to curse and explode because they probably feel their so-called religiosity was all bunkum!
I have faced the ire of some who confuse bad living for simple living and make a virtue of their third class living style cursing others enjoying the pleasures of good

living due to capability to add to their wealth

They post moral lessons which would not impress even school kids .

they think others have done well due to dishonest means and take pot shots at them.

they need to act this way as there is no other way then can hide their own worthlessness.

Perhaps they have lost out in life and try to run down others doing well

I have faced the ire of some who confuse bad living for simple living and make a virtue of their third class living style cursing others enjoying the pleasures of good

they think others have done well due to dishonest means and take pot shots at them.

they need to act this way as there is no other way then can hide their own worthlessness.

Classic example of writing through the source of imagination, nothing but imagination. No basis, no proof, nothing to substantiate.

Perhaps may be one among his usual blabberings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri Sangom Sir,

In my view, honesty and hard working are also indoctrinated concepts which may require a bit more analysis. Menial labour will definitely will fall in the category of hard working, but it has kept people from times immemorable only poor. Honesty seldom brings in the rewards commensurate with its virtue, so much so that some Hindu scriptures treat honesty to be a "norm" that it does not attract a bad karma which dishonesty does. History is full of instances where honest people suffered only tragedies and whether karma compensated them in other births no one knows.

Economic rise and fall of nations range from many decades to centuries to even millennia and it is dependent on so many external and internal factors other than only religion. It is doubtful if only honesty and hard work will lift our country to a better economic paradise For example,

Japan has been in recession since late 1980s with no signs of recovery but there are no reported instances of religion being a contributory factor.

The second is the case of Greece. Alexander the great invaded India and many other parts of the world at around 1st century BC or so and was named the world conqueror. But the same Greece is now making rounds with the begging bowls to the IMF World Bank etc. trying to negotiate better begging conditions.

If someone has done an empirical study of the negative aspects of religion to keep someone or some nations poor, I am not aware of it but till then I would assume that we are posting here based on our perceptions which may or may not be true.

Shri zebra Sir,

Here again I don't know whether the OP will feel we are going astray. Even so, my views are as follows.

I cannot say whether honesty and hard working are indoctrinated habits; if these are, then possibly we will have to agree that human nature is basically and naturally, to be dishonest and to be lazy. But you may agree that if this were true some unknown fellow in the misty past would not have bothered to invent the wheel or to build a hut, make a fire by rubbing two stone pieces, tend that fire suitably, cook his meat in that fire, and so on. Similarly, my experience has been that young children generally tend to be truthful to the extend of their knowledge (that is why the usual saying "enga appa kutirukkuLLE illai!") and so were our rural people, by and large, till post-Independence 'development' made them all progressive! I therefore feel that the default state of humans is honesty but dishonesty is a cultivated trait.

Regarding hard work, the primitive man could just not have been lazy because he had to spend much time and energy to kill a prey animal. This is true even now if you see the lifestyles of the completely uncivilized (and even naked) Amazon tribes in youtube videos. Our own people, two or three generations ago, had to do great amount of physical hard work in order to earn their livelihood. Of course, there might have been a few lucky people but they were the exceptions rather than the rule.
Therefore, hard working is not an acquired trait, as such. In the present technological era, hard work does not necessarily mean doing physical hard work but complete dedication to one's allotted duties and carrying out those duties without being corrupt.

Regarding karma, nations' fortunes, etc., I shall write another post, sir.

krishji,

Please state for the benefit of members here, what do you mean by 1) third class living style/bad living etc., You may make it clear with examples. 2)pleasures of good living--again with examples. So that people can understand what you are trying to tell.

Irresponsible parents are responsible for the later miserable life of their children.

Conveniently, you put the blame on the parents due to irresponsible in nature.

It is due to blind faith in the religion, thinking that non-stop bhajans or namasankeerthanam will bring prosperity to the family, without giving any proper guidance to the children.

When it doesn't happen, the affected will pass the buck on fate.

In the case of successful parents, even though they may be very religious, they will attach importance to practical aspect of life and proceed accordingly.

Conveniently, you put the blame on the parents due to irresponsible in nature.

It is due to blind faith in the religion, thinking that non-stop bhajans or namasankeerthanam will bring prosperity to the family, without giving any proper guidance to the children.

When it doesn't happen, the affected will pass the buck on fate.

In the case of successful parents, even though they may be very religious, they will attach importance to practical aspect of life and proceed accordingly.

Dear Chandru,

I myself grew up attending bhajans..learning bhajans..singing so many bhajans..learnt almost a 100 songs if I am not wrong..etc..reading religious text..reciting mantras etc but it was always stressed by my parents that one should put in effort to do well in life and not expect God to make us pass an exam if we did not study.

So if children fail becos parents thought that prayer can replace studies..then those parents did not understand that prayer is not a substitute for effort and hard work.

Well informed parents would guide children to study hard and leave the rest to God.

Sri Sangom Sir,

My post is with reference only to the kArmic factors. I did try to dwell deeper on the karma theory and to my limited understanding the concept of karma appeal and appear to be valid only when explained as some mysterious and inscrutable force on wholesale basis. If one attempts to break karma into smaller pieces to understand it better, I do not think it would stand scrutiny.

Birth and death, I have excluded because one is the cause of another. I find the following two things happening universally all over the whole world.

The first is the case of a woman delivering a child. Roughly 50% of the human population is of female gender and approximately 80-90% of them deliver a child. Now the pain of delivering a child or "prasava vedanai" is supposed to be very acute. Now what is that kArmic act which approximately 40-45% of the human population invariably do (that earns a bad karma for them to suffer the pain) and the rest do not do which exempts them from this pain or suffering? I could not find an answer.

If it be argued that the advents in medical science has now progressed to cause painless delivery such as caesarian operation, administration of pain killers etc. then we have to concede that karma theory is not immutable but can be overcome by advances in other fields.

The second is the case of speaking untruth or lying. Almost everyone utters a lie sometime or the other in his whole life and it is so prevalent that no set of moral science or religion fails to make a mention of it. Though speaking untruth may be expedient in a given situation, it does (or is supposed to cause) harm to others in various known and unknown ways. Even innocent tiny toddlers of 2-3 years fib to gain attention, sympathy etc. from their parents as was shown in a science channel about 2-3 years back. Now what is that kArmic activity or omission of an activity which saddles everyone with this supposed bad karma?

Unless we are able to identify and isolate the cause of bad karma we can continue to believe in the theory but will have no effective mechanism to extricate ourselves out of it and karma theory can at best be a speculation.

Zebraji,
Your post is very close to heart, and honest.
This honesty hurts, as we feel that all our so called "knowledge" is a big ZERO.
But without this clutch we have nothing to lean on.

It is like being an expert in steam locomotive or a Rotary phone expert in modern days. So either we update ourselves or go where they still use Steam locomotives.
How do we gain a better knowledge?

If someone has done an empirical study of the negative aspects of religion to keep someone or some nations poor, I am not aware of it but till then I would assume that we are posting here based on our perceptions which may or may not be true.

Another great post.
What other choice do we have? Everything is based on our perception. Even this post appreciating your post is based on perception.

Shri Zebra Sir,

The points you have raised are well worth considering. But since the OP has cautioned about:focus: I shall reply to you by PM. Hope you receive PMs.
Please post your thoughts here in the forum, or PM it to me.

Dear Chandru,

I myself grew up attending bhajans..learning bhajans..singing so many bhajans..learnt almost a 100 songs if I am not wrong..etc..reading religious text..reciting mantras etc but it was always stressed by my parents that one should put in effort to do well in life and not expect God to make us pass an exam if we did not study.

So if children fail becos parents thought that prayer can replace studies..then those parents did not understand that prayer is not a substitute for effort and hard work.

Well informed parents would guide children to study hard and leave the rest to God.

We give undue credit or blame to the parents for the upbringing of their children.
I have known a family with 2 children. One child is ideal, very religious, successful, and supports the parents.
The other is a drug addict, lives horrible life. The parents swear that they raised both with similar values, and we know the home environment did not change. But the out come was very different.There does not seem to be any explanation.

parents would guide children to study hard and leave the rest to God.
Yes I too think that wat but it seem a lame excuse.

Dear Chandru,

Madam,

You endorse my point.

Continuous religious practices without hard work and adapting to situation, will not bring prosperity either to the individual or the family concerned.

In the case of Tamil Smarthas, what I observe is, while Vathima and Ashtasahasram sects are not populous, and success of Brahacharanam sect has been quite impressive, that the badly affected ones are Vadamas, Sivachariars, Gurukkals, Shastrigals: the reason may be due to excessive religious syndrome, less practical approach and lack of guidance.

The earlier you adjust to the situation, the better.

Madam,

You endorse my point.

Continuous religious practices without hard work and adapting to situation, will not bring prosperity either to the individual or the family concerned.

Dear Chandru,

I have to agree with you here..in fact I know many Hindu girls who keep doing Poojas to get married but do not make an attempt to lose weight or improve their physical appearance.
How do they expect to get married without making any attempt to look presentable?

Prayers and Pujas help you handle the unkown factors but the individual has to handle the known factors . For eg if I have to take an IAS Exam ,I need to prepare thoroughly for the exam to handle it successfully but some unkown factors like illhealth , accidents , death in the family etc etc are beyond my control and hence I daily start with a prayer begore I begin my studies for my IAS Exams . But if I only keep praying but do not prepare for IAS exam then I will most likely fail in the exam ( unless I am naturally brilliant or get question paper before hand ) and if I only study but do not pray then I will most likely do well in the exam but if some unknown factors strike me I must be able to handle it and that is why traditionally they ask us to start the day ( or any act ) with a prayer to ward off the un-necessary disturbances in our lives . Prayer is an action , a Karma and every action produces some effect at the gross and subtle effect and so with this idea if we do all actions i.e start with a prayer and take all efforts to develop skill and expertise in our area of work then most likely we will see ourselves executing our actions smoothly or even if we face obstacles we will be able to handle the situations .

So in conclusion I would say that Prayer is a positive addition to our other efforts but if we do only prayer and do not put time and energy into other efforts then we will most likey fail and no point in blaming God or others for our failures .

Last edited:
Dear Chandru,

Doc Renuka,

I suppose you have read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda.

The following are the excerpts from Chapter 10 of the said book:

QUOTE:
Chapter 10

I Meet My Master, Sri Yukteswar

"Faith in God can produce any miracle except one passing an examination without study." Distastefully I closed the book I had picked up in an idle moment.

"The writer's exception shows his complete lack of faith," I thought. "Poor chap, he has great respect for the midnight oil!"

My educational dilemma was plainly a matter for the Infinite Ingenuity. This was my reasoning, though to many it seems illogic. The devotee's irrationality springs from a thousand inexplicable demonstrations of God's instancy in trouble.

"You are utterly unprepared for the finals! I suppose it is up to me to help you!"

The simple words conveyed divine promise to my ears; with alacrity I visited my friend's home. He kindly outlined the solutions to various problems he considered likely to be set by the instructors.

"These questions are the bait which will catch many trusting boys in the examination trap. Remember my answers, and you will escape without injury."

The night was far gone when I departed. Bursting with unseasoned erudition, I devoutly prayed it would remain for the next few critical days. Nantu had coached me in my various subjects but, under press of time, had forgotten my course in Sanskrit. Fervently I reminded God of the oversight.

I set out on a short walk the next morning, assimilating my new knowledge to the rhythm of swinging footsteps. As I took a short cut through the weeds of a corner lot, my eye fell on a few loose printed sheets. A triumphant pounce proved them to be Sanskrit verse. I sought out a pundit for aid in my stumbling interpretation. His rich voice filled the air with the edgeless, honeyed beauty of the ancient tongue.[SUP]1[/SUP]

"These exceptional stanzas cannot possibly be of aid in your Sanskrit test." The scholar dismissed them skeptically.

But familiarity with that particular poem enabled me on the following day to pass the Sanskrit examination. Through the discerning help Nantu had given, I also attained the minimum grade for success in all my other subjects.

UNQUOTE

Is there a reason to disbelieve what Paraamahansa Yogananda has said?

The online version of the book can be accessed here : http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/contents.php

Prayers and Pujas help you handle the unkown factors but the individual has to handle the known factors . For eg if I have to take an IAS Exam ,I need to prepare thoroughly for the exam to handle it successfully but some unkown factors like illhealth , accidents , death in the family etc etc are beyond my control and hence I daily start with a prayer begore I begin my studies for my IAS Exams . But if I only keep praying but do not prepare for IAS exam then I will most likely fail in the exam ( unless I am naturally brilliant or get question paper before hand ) and if I only study but do not pray then I will most likely do well in the exam but if some unknown factors strike me I must be able to handle it and that is why traditionally they ask us to start the day ( or any act ) with a prayer to ward off the un-necessary disturbances in our lives . Prayer is an action , a Karma and every action produces some effect at the gross and subtle effect and so with this idea if we do all actions i.e start with a prayer and take all efforts to develop skill and expertise in our area of work then most likely we will see ourselves executing our actions smoothly or even if we face obstacles we will be able to handle the situations .

So in conclusion I would say that Prayer is a positive addition to our other efforts but if we do only prayer and do not put time and energy into other efforts then we will most likey fail and no point in blaming God or others for our failures .

Shri mkrishna Sir,

Please note your use of the two words 'most likely' (highlighted by me) in the above post. That shows that you also agree that prayers will not guarantee a 100% success in whatever your endeavour is. Therefore, it is immaterial whether you start your day with a prayer or without it. And that is exactly what Bhagavadgita says, karmaṇyevādhikāraste mā phaleṣu kadācana; you never ever have (any) control over the result of your action!

Everything is scripted down by destiny and your job is merely to do your duty or role as a human being. Prayer is only a practice cultivated by religion. If you fail in any task in the first attempt you may try again and again, like Robert Bruce or the spider, (but you may not succeed like Bruce, even after n attempts) or else you may abandon that task itself and plan alternatives.

Doc Renuka,

QUOTE:
Chapter 10

"Faith in God can produce any miracle except one passing an examination without study." Distastefully I closed the book I had picked up in an idle moment.

"The writer's exception shows his complete lack of faith," I thought. "Poor chap, he has great respect for the midnight oil!"

My educational dilemma was plainly a matter for the Infinite Ingenuity. This was my reasoning, though to many it seems illogic. The devotee's irrationality springs from a thousand inexplicable demonstrations of God's instancy in trouble.

"You are utterly unprepared for the finals! I suppose it is up to me to help you!"

The simple words conveyed divine promise to my ears; with alacrity I visited my friend's home. He kindly outlined the solutions to various problems he considered likely to be set by the instructors.

"These questions are the bait which will catch many trusting boys in the examination trap. Remember my answers, and you will escape without injury."

The night was far gone when I departed. Bursting with unseasoned erudition, I devoutly prayed it would remain for the next few critical days. Nantu had coached me in my various subjects but, under press of time, had forgotten my course in Sanskrit. Fervently I reminded God of the oversight.

I set out on a short walk the next morning, assimilating my new knowledge to the rhythm of swinging footsteps. As I took a short cut through the weeds of a corner lot, my eye fell on a few loose printed sheets. A triumphant pounce proved them to be Sanskrit verse. I sought out a pundit for aid in my stumbling interpretation. His rich voice filled the air with the edgeless, honeyed beauty of the ancient tongue.[SUP]1[/SUP]

"These exceptional stanzas cannot possibly be of aid in your Sanskrit test." The scholar dismissed them skeptically.

But familiarity with that particular poem enabled me on the following day to pass the Sanskrit examination. Through the discerning help Nantu had given, I also attained the minimum grade for success in all my other subjects.

UNQUOTE

The online version of the book can be accessed here : http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/contents.php

Shri zebra,

What is it that you talk about believing or disbelieving? Yogananda was unprepared for the exam but a kind hearted friend of his volunteered to coach him. Also, Y got a few sheets of paper from the roadside which contained some sanskrit poetry. Though a sanskrit pundit opined that the said poetry was unlikely to help Y to pass his sanskrit exam., Y himself makes the statement that it did.

What I feel on reading this is the usual ploy of the so-called godly people to project abundant grace of god in their lives at every stage. If one is to believe Y, he must have explained how exactly the sanskrit poetry in the scrap of paper helped him pass his sanskrit exam.

My own principle is not to believe any of these 'anandas'.

Please note your use of the two words 'most likely' (highlighted by me) in the above post

Sangomji

I deliberately used the word "most likely" as there is no guarantee for any sucess ir-respective of how much effort we put in as not all variables are in our control . That is why I say prayer as one more component to increase our chance ( note I use the word One more component and not the only component ) of success among the various variables that are in our control . That is why all the acts a Hindu does before starting any action be it sacred ( like a prayer etc ) or secular ( like studying , dance , music , house construction , starting a new movie , etc etc ) begins with a prayer . There is no way we can Scientifically evaluate how much the prayer contributes to the success of any event but prayer being an action ( at the body , oral and mental level ) does produce some form of effect at the gross or subtle level ( as every action produces some reaction ) .How strong is this effect or reaction no one can know but reaction it does produce .

Last edited:
Shri zebra,

What is it that you talk about believing or disbelieving? Yogananda was unprepared for the exam but a kind hearted friend of his volunteered to coach him. Also, Y got a few sheets of paper from the roadside which contained some sanskrit poetry. Though a sanskrit pundit opined that the said poetry was unlikely to help Y to pass his sanskrit exam., Y himself makes the statement that it did.

What I feel on reading this is the usual ploy of the so-called godly people to project abundant grace of god in their lives at every stage. If one is to believe Y, he must have explained how exactly the sanskrit poetry in the scrap of paper helped him pass his sanskrit exam.

My own principle is not to believe any of these 'anandas'.

Yes Sir,

The knowledgeable people who should or should have guided the impressionable minds always glossed over the projection of abundance of God, but never told them explicitly not to trust these instances as God's intervention and if at all the instances happened it was merely a co-incidence.

Doc Renuka,

QUOTE:
Chapter 10

UNQUOTE

Dear Zebra ji,

Yes...I did read about that when I read Autobiography of a Yogi.

But lets try to look at that story logically.

I am sure Yogananda Paramahansa had done some studying before..I am 100% sure he was not the type who totally never touched his books.

So some amount of "knowledge" was already in his head and the Sanskrit verses on the paper he found would have triggered some part of his stored memory and he managed to pass the exam.

I would say that he had faith in God that somehow the knowledge stored in his mind would be sufficient to make him pass the exam.
So its not God who wrote the exam..it was him.

Last edited:
Dear Zebra ji,

Let me add to my above post..I think everyone needs a trigger for knowledge to flow.

Just like how Valmiki needed to witness the Kraucha bird getting killed for him to utter the Manishada pratishtatum samagah sashvatisamah yat krouncha mithunadekam sokam avadhim kama mohitam..and hence he wrote the Ramayan after that.

So same with the story of Paramahansa Yogananda..having read the Sanskrit papers he found..that triggered the cascade of stored knowledge for him to pass the exams.

Now if you are asking me "how did the papers get into the scene or who put them there"..that I don't know!

Was it the act of God?

Well after all even in 1986 World Cup Football..Maradona scoring the winning goal againts England using his hand to score a goal is still dubbed the 'Hand of God"!LOL

Sri Sangom Sir,

In my view, honesty and hard working are also indoctrinated concepts which may require a bit more analysis. Menial labour will definitely will fall in the category of hard working, but it has kept people from times immemorable only poor. Honesty seldom brings in the rewards commensurate with its virtue, so much so that some Hindu scriptures treat honesty to be a "norm" that it does not attract a bad karma which dishonesty does. History is full of instances where honest people suffered only tragedies and whether karma compensated them in other births no one knows.

Economic rise and fall of nations range from many decades to centuries to even millennia and it is dependent on so many external and internal factors other than only religion. It is doubtful if only honesty and hard work will lift our country to a better economic paradise For example,

Japan has been in recession since late 1980s with no signs of recovery but there are no reported instances of religion being a contributory factor.

The second is the case of Greece. Alexander the great invaded India and many other parts of the world at around 1st century BC or so and was named the world conqueror. But the same Greece is now making rounds with the begging bowls to the IMF World Bank etc. trying to negotiate better begging conditions.

Please post your thoughts here in the forum, or PM it to me.

Shri zebra Sir,

I have already given my views on honesty and hardworking — as natural human traits, in my view.

I will first give you my idea about Karma. Of course these are based on my perceptions which may or may not be true.

As the BG says, "karmaṇyevādhikāraste mā phaleṣu kadācana". Hence, we all do Karmas but their phalas are not within our control. The Karmas and their phalas are like debit and credit entries in an account. When a person dies, there will be some outstanding entries and these represents the karmas left behind by that person. The responding entries for these outstandings (phalas) will have to happen "in future" in the linear time dimension in which we humans live.

The karma is not a notion alone; karmas are, possibly, entities having their own micro- or nano- dimensions, most likely in the scale of the genes. Since the outstanding karmas left behind one person will represent some aspects of the personality and traits of that person while alive, all such karma particles will normally form one kernel; some small parts from one kernel may get added on to another and vice versa. When a new birth occurs, one of these kernels will get attached to the Universal Life Force which would have already started activating that embryo. Together with the kernel, the new physical body is formed and the kernel firmly attached to the Life Force, makes us feel the "aham" feeling. On death (which happens when all the karmas in the kernel have been experienced in the present life) the Life Force gets detached from both the kernel and the body. A new kernel is now formed, and so on.

Hence, there is no jīvātmā as we call. Each new birth comes with its own load of unexpiated karmas, the phalas of which are experienced in the current birth. That was why, possibly, Gaudapadacharya states,_

न निरोधो नचोत्पत्तिर्न बद्धो न च साधकः ।
न मुमुक्षुर्न वै मुक्तः इत्येषा परमार्थता ॥

na nirodho nacotpattirna baddho na ca sādhakaḥ |
na mumukṣurna vai muktaḥ ityeṣā paramārthatā ||

(There is no disappearance, nor origination; no one in bondage, no one who aims at sādhana; no one who is desirous of salvation, no one who is liberated — This is the highest truth.)

Just as one individual's karma load left behind determines what kind of a birth will be necessary in the next entity to be born, the collective character of the karma loads of all the people within a group, country, etc., will also determine the characteristics of the respective group, country, etc., in which the succeeding new entities will have to be born in order to facilitate their experiencing the phalas of the karma loads with which they are born. This is what I call the collective karma.

Now, coming to the instances given by you,_

1. "Menial labour will definitely will fall in the category of hard working, but it has kept people from times immemorable only poor...."

I don't know whether you say that menial labourers all over the world have been poor from times immemorial. If so that is correct because menial itself means not requiring much skill and lacking prestige. It also goes without saying that menial worker need not be hardworking but can "chothappufy" in most cases unless there is a strict supervisor overseeing him.

2. "Honesty seldom brings in the rewards commensurate with its virtue, so much so that some Hindu scriptures treat honesty to be a "norm" that it does not attract a bad karma which dishonesty does. History is full of instances where honest people suffered only tragedies and whether karma compensated them in other births no one knows."

Honesty is treated as a norm possibly because it is the default mode. When a country such a India is taken with its long history of humans living therein, and when we know, for a fact, that dishonesty is rather the norm here now, honesty naturally will be at a disadvantage. There are instances like that of Saint Bhadrachala Ramadas who pilferred treasury funds to build a Rama temple, was imprisoned for pilfering but Lord Rama came and rescued Ramadas! When we have religion upholding such (hi) stories what else can you expect?

We cannot have any scientific or legally valid proof for honest people being rewarded later, but if you will go by my theory, these honest karmas must have found their phalas in some other countries where honesty is not a disadvantage.

3. Economic rise and fall of nations range from many decades to centuries to even millennia and it is dependent on so many external and internal factors other than only religion. It is doubtful if only honesty and hard work will lift our country to a better economic paradise For example,

I do not bet on our country getting to be a better economic paradise merely due to honesty and hardworking nature of the people, if developed. But, definitely, this country will become a better place to live. Japan cannot be compared to India, but my impression is that the Japanese have better quality of living than Indians.

...to be continued.

... Continued from Post # 72

More than 20 centuries have passed after Alexander's time and even Greece itself has gone through many metamorphoses, shrinking from the very large empire stretching right up to Sindh, to a mere state of many islands appended to the European continent. The original Greek population also got mixed with Roman and many other populations (such as the Seleucids, Egyptians, Thracians, etc.). These factors will surely have altered their collective karma and it is as a result of this, that present day Greece finds itself in this predicament. imo, it will be possible for that country to change for the better by grexit and observing austerity of its own volition, not imposed by external powers.

I am not aware of any such empirical study, but I do believe that some nations (the governments or the people) remain in the dumps because those countries hold on to certain religion and its related beliefs in an obstinate manner. Such attachment of people to religion is not helpful for the economic progress. India is a good example of this malady. To a certain extent, we can judge all these aspects from a country's horoscope if one is available. Since you may be knowing astrology well, you may yourself study our Independence horoscope and come to your own conclusions.

Dear Sri Sangom - I usually read your posts with interest. You have now shared your theory of Karma a few times at this forum in a few threads.

I have taken your considered views primarily as belief based. Given that no belief is better than another one (provided they do not cause harm to others) I have not commented on them.

Also, I do not want to intrude in your explanations of your views and beliefs.

If your theory is beyond just beliefs and is subject to discussion/debate/logic then I can offer some objections.

If you prefer I can share them over PM or post here or just keep quiet.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back