• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

why do we need religion in our lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is in GD section so people can talk freely.
The people who cling to religion the hardest are the poor, the oppressed, and the uneducated. Why do you think every third world county is so devout? It's the only way those kind of people can rationalize their condition. Instead of standing up and doing something or resigning themselves to the fact that **** happens for no reason other than cause and effect, they just cling to the belief that it's all some grand design of one god or another, and that someday they'll zoom up to Heaven and all the people who did them wrong will go to Hell.

You must shake off the religious indoctrination of your youth. Enjoy the rest of your life knowing that great things are going to happen and horrible things are going to happen, but there's no grand scheme and no god trying to teach you something. Knowing that this is it, that this is our Karma.
The other use of religion is to control and exert power like the Catholic Church, the Mormon Church (LDS), the Baptist Church, Islam, Hindu cults, etc. All run by egomaniacal, megalomaniacal, misogynistic men.

I do not feel I am a religious person but more of a spiritual person. I believe in Brahman, mainly through all the experiences that I have had in my life. People are not rewarded nor punished in life, however a law of the Universe karma, is valid. So if you are good, good things will come your way, if you are not then other things will come your way, this is all to teach us the best way. You do not go to heaven or hell. There is no God sitting in judgement. There is no God asking you to praise him and asks you to beg for mercy.
We are so trained to bribe and get freebies from our leaders, that we have identified our gods with the same corrupt qualities. If God can change our Karmas with our prayers, Bhagavat Gita is total lie. Krishna should have advised Arjuna to do bhajans.

Prasad Sir,

A very useful subject for discussion, I feel.

The word 'religion' comes from the Latin root religare which means 'to bind'. Thus, the main objective of all religions is to bind people into groups, cults, sects, etc., based on one kind of belief about the world, its creator god, etc. Religions, cults and sects/schisms have been carrying out this duty eminently through times immemorial!

Do we need religion? and if yes, why?

The Indian people are very much pre-occupied with their religion, may be because, as the OP says, a good percentage of the people are poor and uneducated. Even people like Shri Kaliraj (whose letter Shri Jeyamohan answers, in his own way, here) who did not have a religiosity kind of life-style, have now taken to the mainstream Hinduism and its gods, etc. Though Shri Jeyamohan tries to justify this by arguing that all those who were not non-hindus, were hindus in a way, I do not think this kind of 'polishing' is honest.

If only our people, educated and uneducated, rich and poor, begin being honest and hardworking instead of being religious but hypocritical, if nevessary, this country will progress very well even within the foreseeable future. But the trillion dollar question is whether the accumulated collective Karma of this population, will allow this to happen or whether it will make this a "karmabhumi" meaning a place where births will take place in order to experience the phalas of all the bad karmas committed for millennia, in the name of religion! People who have got a chance to go settle in US and other developed countries are, imo, people with a lot of good karmic load who can experience the good results of their past karmas only in those places and not in India.

Note: I know there are people here who will jump at my post and badmouth everything western and say that emigration to US is like committing the biggest sin. I will request them to show some restraint and see why most people do not like to return to India.

Thanks for the thoughtful and timely post #26 Sangomji.
Let us keep this thread on this subject. :focus:

Last edited:
post #26 is one side of the argument. Now please hear the other side:

The people who cling to religion the hardest are the poor, the oppressed, and the uneducated. Why do you think every third world county is so devout? It's the only way those kind of people can rationalize their condition. Instead of standing up and doing something or resigning themselves to the fact that **** happens for no reason other than cause and effect, they just cling to the belief that it's all some grand design of one god or another, and that someday they'll zoom up to Heaven and all the people who did them wrong will go to Hell.

You must shake off the religious indoctrination of your youth. Enjoy the rest of your life knowing that great things are going to happen and horrible things are going to happen, but there's no grand scheme and no god trying to teach you something. Knowing that this is it, that this is our Karma.
The other use of religion is to control and exert power like the Catholic Church, the Mormon Church (LDS), the Baptist Church, Islam, Hindu cults, etc. All run by egomaniacal, megalomaniacal, misogynistic men.

I do not feel I am a religious person but more of a spiritual person. I believe in Brahman, mainly through all the experiences that I have had in my life. People are not rewarded nor punished in life, however a law of the Universe karma, is valid. So if you are good, good things will come your way, if you are not then other things will come your way, this is all to teach us the best way. You do not go to heaven or hell. There is no God sitting in judgement. There is no God asking you to praise him and asks you to beg for mercy.
We are so trained to bribe and get freebies from our leaders, that we have identified our gods with the same corrupt qualities. If God can change our Karmas with our prayers, Bhagavat Gita is total lie. Krishna should have advised Arjuna to do bhajans.

1.Being poor, oppressed, uneducated etc are independent of religion. Religion does not cause poverty, oppression or being unlettered. Of course religion has in its fold all these three categories of people besides educated, well educated, rich, and non-oppressed. Till yesterday the vast majority of human population had rejected religion and took pride in calling themselves non-believers. Soviet Union and China were communists who did not recognize religions till yesterday. They swore by dialectic materialism. And these countries were not rich either. With time when they became richer they abandoned their atheism. So there is something seriously wrong when you connect poverty with religion.

2. The cause and effect theory does not apply to every situation. It works only within limiting precincts. Even scientists like Russel, Stephen Hawking and thinkers like Immanuel Kant agree on this. Even agnostics admit it with the rider that it is only a question of time and they will eventually understand and find out the cause for every effect as time passes on. As long as this riddle continues it will have to be accounted for by assigning it to an entity called God which we do not understand as yet. With God comes religion like with cause and effect comes the theorizing science which hypothesizes and then looks for proof often. Heaven and hell are more for an orderly life in this world in which there is frequently a tendency to ignore the universal truth and enter into conflicts. In the human civilizational growth religion came before science. If science had come first perhaps heaven and hell would have been adopted and owned by science as ultimate goals depending on how science is used. A Napalm or a nuclear bomb would have been hell whereas a healthy and rich non-polluting life would have been heaven.

3. When horrible things happen to great people despite their 'greatness' cause and effect theory stands discredited completely. And where do you fit the karma in your cause and effect theory? If a newborn child suffers because of karma, what was that karma and when was it earned? So karma theory also has holes. I agree on only one thing. The organized proselytizing religion is an MNC. There is a lot of misgovernance there.

4. What is called spiritual is conveniently understood by the common man by the name religion. The two are not different. It is like forming a AIADMK from DMK. Your Brahman is the God Madurai Veeran for the unlettered friend of me. If you are good good things come to you and if you are bad bad things happen to you according to your karma theory. My friend also says the same thing and calls it the religious tenet. I find only that you have a new religion whereas his religion is old.

5. When did the God tell you to ask him for his mercy so that he can bless you? It is all the making of men like you. As far as the human being is concerned his free will is really free. And with that free will he says Gods mercy is to be prayed for. You may differ with him and call it your religion and collect a few followers. But that is precisely what has been happening all along in this world.

Kindly perceive.

In India it is easy to start a new religion and make money in the process.

Let us say there is a Gopi called Hema. Who could prove such a Gopi was not present?

Krishna being the God guy, is another avatar of original Krishna, and can have large number of love in his life and keep them all in bliss at the same time.

OK, so a new religion can be founded as Hema-Krishna Devotees. We will need someone to come up with some reference to justify this devotion- perhaps some poetic passages describing their love will do. We will need a few foo good people to donate for a special temple. Hema-Krishna will be two souls in two bodies but they transact only by looking at each other.

People have to donate 5% of their earning the first year and 10% in subsequent years to assure a place in the New Brindavan.

Do we have any volunteers to start this religion? Jai Hema-Krishna!

LoL

There is a religion for Hema-Dharma, it is called BJP. We have a member in this forum for this religion. If you do not know that member, all you need to do is expose a new scam. That member will jump up and down to denounce you. Now guess the name?

Why do we need religion in our lives?

I don't know, maybe religion really does all that it claims to do - 'Kaamyaartham' - grants our wishes, provides for comfort when we lose loved things and loved ones and encounter undue difficulties, provides for spiritual growth and ultimately enables one to reach that blissful state called 'Moksha'...

I don't think anyone in this forum really tried religion really that long and that intense to think (or not think :)) religion can do this and cannot do that, etc.

Just my simple take on it.

Though religion is not directly involved in the economic status of an individual or family, its effect can be felt on some families who are very religious or performing religious duties daily. For example, most of Shastrigals' families are not economically well off. The reason is lack of guidance to the successors to switch over to other professions if they are not successful.

I have come across a family with three sons. All the three are staunch devotees of Sabarimalai and Puttabarthi and regular visitors. No one has come up in life, though their father happened to be a Central Govt. employee. Who has to be blamed here?

Extreme spritualism is also not a desirable one.

Though religion is not directly involved in the economic status of an individual or family, its effect can be felt on some families who are very religious or performing religious duties daily. For example, most of Shastrigals' families are not economically well off. The reason is lack of guidance to the successors to switch over to other professions if they are not successful.

I have come across a family with three sons. All the three are staunch devotees of Sabarimalai and Puttabarthi and regular visitors. No one has come up in life, though their father happened to be a Central Govt. employee. Who has to be blamed here?

Extreme spritualism is also not a desirable one.

A young boy/girl attending school finds the mental thought processes required for understanding the maths and the science based on it to be tough. S/He drops out. If the child happens to be the son/daughter of a rich man he/she becomes a business man later. If he happens to be the son of a sastrigal he becomes a sastrigal. If he happens to be the son of a rowdy he takes to rowdyism.

Those parents who want to prevent the children becoming a drop out, spends hard earned money on tuition classes and their energy in hours of sitting with their children making them do the home work.

Irresponsible parents are responsible for the later miserable life of their children.

Last edited:
There is a religion for Hema-Dharma, it is called BJP. We have a member in this forum for this religion. If you do not know that member, all you need to do is expose a new scam. That member will jump up and down to denounce you. Now guess the name?
lol

A young boy/girl attending school finds the mental though processes required for understanding the maths and the science based on it it drops out. If the child happens to be the son/daughter of a rich man he/she becomes a business man later. If he happens to be the son of a sastrigal he becomes a sastrigal. If he happens to be the son of a rowdy he takes to rowdyism.

Those parents who want to prevent the children becoming a drop out, spends hard earned money on tuition classes and their energy in hours of sitting with their children making them do the home work.

Irresponsible parents are responsible for the later miserable life of their children.
Thats why I keep telling parents to keep off as far as possible from adult children when it is marriage finalisation or career options.

Most of them know what is good for them and capable of choosing what best suits them

Prasad Ji,

There is yet another religion in this Forum, a 'care-free'. It has no knowledge about the topic, no interest for a lively debate and write whatever the mind says without any basis, facts and figures. For such Member only dream and imagination are the sources.

All you need to do is just open a thread like ‘smoking’ or ‘Alcoholism’, etc. That member will immediately jump up and down to advocate smoking and alcoholism.

It has happened and more especially in this very same Forum. Good entertainer indeed.

He has a passion and burning desire to increase his count in the number of postings every hour.

Now guess his name?

How about the preacher whose words would not even appeal even to the mentally retarded ?

I know there are more than one qualifying under this description and more clues are required.

Prasad Sir,

The word 'religion' comes from the Latin root religare which means 'to bind'. Thus, the main objective of all religions is to bind people into groups, cults, sects, etc., based on one kind of belief about the world, its creator god, etc. Religions, cults and sects/schisms have been carrying out this duty eminently through times immemorial!

The Indian people are very much pre-occupied with their religion, may be because, as the OP says, a good percentage of the people are poor and uneducated. Even people like Shri Kaliraj (whose letter Shri Jeyamohan answers, in his own way, here) who did not have a religiosity kind of life-style, have now taken to the mainstream Hinduism and its gods, etc. Though Shri Jeyamohan tries to justify this by arguing that all those who were not non-hindus, were hindus in a way, I do not think this kind of 'polishing' is honest.

If only our people, educated and uneducated, rich and poor, begin being honest and hardworking instead of being religious but hypocritical, if nevessary, this country will progress very well even within the foreseeable future. But the trillion dollar question is whether the accumulated collective Karma of this population, will allow this to happen or whether it will make this a "karmabhumi" meaning a place where births will take place in order to experience the phalas of all the bad karmas committed for millennia, in the name of religion! People who have got a chance to go settle in US and other developed countries are, imo, people with a lot of good karmic load who can experience the good results of their past karmas only in those places and not in India.

Note: I know there are people here who will jump at my post and badmouth everything western and say that emigration to US is like committing the biggest sin. I will request them to show some restraint and see why most people do not like to return to India.
I tend to believe that either religion as it is practised or karma theories are crutches aiding people amidst the squalor and misery of day to day living.

Most are unable to find plausible reasons for living and take recourse to these to cope with living.

If people did not believe in such things and instead believed in themselves and goodness of other human beings , world would be a better place for all.

but that would call for a high degree of self worth for acceptance of self and faith in others with many good and some not so good qualities. Wisdom lies in transacting

in this world knowing and ignoring what is negative that causes misery in humanbeings. Such an approach would help people to live with a happy frame of mind and

appreciating all the good things world has to offer. This in nutshell is my philosophy of living

How about the preacher whose words would not even appeal even to the mentally retarded ?

I know there are more than one qualifying under this description and more clues are required.

Member who has empty mind come here to write something for the sake of add on to his postings count which normally doesn’t even appeal to insane.

They are thus wasting their time as well as the precious time of others.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
There are hundreds of religions, and millions of followers for each. But there is no salvation for one who hates his religion, who bad mouths his birth religion practices, and has sold his soul for unmentionables! Those souls do not gather anything good in this life nor accrue good karma for future lives, though claim have faith in karma. A few transliterated sentences in copy paste form does not give them the knowledge or wisdom but enables them to utter profanities.

There are hundreds of religions, and millions of followers for each. But there is no salvation for one who hates his religion, who bad mouths his birth religion practices, and has sold his soul for unmentionables! Those souls do not gather anything good in this life nor accrue good karma for future lives, though claim have faith in karma. A few transliterated sentences in copy paste form does not give them the knowledge or wisdom but enables them to utter profanities.

Why are humans obsessed with salvation?

Why don't people just learn to live without the idea of salvation.

I feel if the concept of salvation/heaven/hell did not exists the world would be a better place cos then people would learn to behave cos there is no other location for them!LOL

The idea of salvation makes people either hate religion or have a holier than thou attitude,self proclaimed Bhakti blah blah blah..the list never ends.

So the best of not think of salvation..just learn to make the best out of life.

Na Mukti Na Bandah.

Only the one who feels he is bound needs salvation..we are not bound ..why think of salvation?

But the trillion dollar question is whether the accumulated collective Karma of this population, will allow this to happen or whether it will make this a "karmabhumi" meaning a place where births will take place in order to experience the phalas of all the bad karmas committed for millennia, in the name of religion!

Sri Sangom Sir,

My post is with reference only to the kArmic factors. I did try to dwell deeper on the karma theory and to my limited understanding the concept of karma appeal and appear to be valid only when explained as some mysterious and inscrutable force on wholesale basis. If one attempts to break karma into smaller pieces to understand it better, I do not think it would stand scrutiny.

Birth and death, I have excluded because one is the cause of another. I find the following two things happening universally all over the whole world.

The first is the case of a woman delivering a child. Roughly 50% of the human population is of female gender and approximately 80-90% of them deliver a child. Now the pain of delivering a child or "prasava vedanai" is supposed to be very acute. Now what is that kArmic act which approximately 40-45% of the human population invariably do (that earns a bad karma for them to suffer the pain) and the rest do not do which exempts them from this pain or suffering? I could not find an answer.

If it be argued that the advents in medical science has now progressed to cause painless delivery such as caesarian operation, administration of pain killers etc. then we have to concede that karma theory is not immutable but can be overcome by advances in other fields.

The second is the case of speaking untruth or lying. Almost everyone utters a lie sometime or the other in his whole life and it is so prevalent that no set of moral science or religion fails to make a mention of it. Though speaking untruth may be expedient in a given situation, it does (or is supposed to cause) harm to others in various known and unknown ways. Even innocent tiny toddlers of 2-3 years fib to gain attention, sympathy etc. from their parents as was shown in a science channel about 2-3 years back. Now what is that kArmic activity or omission of an activity which saddles everyone with this supposed bad karma?

Unless we are able to identify and isolate the cause of bad karma we can continue to believe in the theory but will have no effective mechanism to extricate ourselves out of it and karma theory can at best be a speculation.

Renukaji
Some are deeply indoctrinated that they cannot come out of salvation of soul ,rebirth theories and the like.

In their old age, they cannot change

Such types adopt a holier than thou attitude .

They are best ignored and left to rant .

If anyone says make the best out of life and live well , they see red and attack them for committing a huge sin.

All strict followers of any religion following its rules and rituals to the full end up this way irrespective of which religion it is.

Some of this type when they see others not following the rules of religion strictly ,they pounce on them and warn them of hells awaiting them in this birth or next.lol

They want perhaps others also to undergo what they have gone through and at least not say that they are enjoying a better life than them not following the rule set by

religion.

Last edited:
Nobody is forcing you to follow your chosen path, as long as you don't enforce it with kill kafir or convert or perish mentality. You are free to live the way you want and make the best out of life in line with your thinking.

You are free to follow JK or any other rationalist or follow your own 'ism' reached after years or days of logical reasoning. Does it matter if one denies 'better world' belief and is happy with his/her 'present world/life'.

Sanatana dharma discussions will have a bearing only if the scriptures are acknowledged as pramana.

I feel if the concept of salvation/heaven/hell did not exists the world would be a better place cos then people would learn to behave cos there is no other location for them!LOL

The idea of salvation makes people either hate religion or have a holier than thou attitude,self proclaimed Bhakti blah blah blah..the list never ends.

Na Mukti Na Bandah.

Only the one who feels he is bound needs salvation..we are not bound ..why think of salvation?

Na Mukti Na Bandah.

Sanathana dharma always insist upon the concept of karma... The concept of karma makes a man realize that none of his action goes unnoticed.... By which it acts a invisible supervisor in his/her life with is a benifit for the self and society .... When we accept the concept of karma then the next question that comes is" if there is a chain of reactions for the actions then what is the ultimate end?" The answer to that is liberation from actions which is mukthi... Mukthi is described as different in various philophies like dwaida adwaida and vishistadwaida that is a different topic ..... What I wanted to convey is that for running a good society people should have faith in karama.... If people have to accept karma then their question of ultimate end should be answered.. So the answer for that is moksha.... Which is inevitable..... How is Hinduism describe moksha is extremely different from other western and Arabic religion. that is a different topic of discussion.....

Prasad Ji,

There is yet another religion in this Forum, a 'care-free'. It has no knowledge about the topic, no interest for a lively debate and write whatever the mind says without any basis, facts and figures. For such Member only dream and imagination are the sources.

All you need to do is just open a thread like ‘smoking’ or ‘Alcoholism’, etc. That member will immediately jump up and down to advocate smoking and alcoholism.

It has happened and more especially in this very same Forum. Good entertainer indeed.

He has a passion and burning desire to increase his count in the number of postings every hour.

Now guess his name?

Who? I can't figure out!

Prasad Sir,

Sri Sangom Sir,

In my view, honesty and hard working are also indoctrinated concepts which may require a bit more analysis. Menial labour will definitely will fall in the category of hard working, but it has kept people from times immemorable only poor. Honesty seldom brings in the rewards commensurate with its virtue, so much so that some Hindu scriptures treat honesty to be a "norm" that it does not attract a bad karma which dishonesty does. History is full of instances where honest people suffered only tragedies and whether karma compensated them in other births no one knows.

Economic rise and fall of nations range from many decades to centuries to even millennia and it is dependent on so many external and internal factors other than only religion. It is doubtful if only honesty and hard work will lift our country to a better economic paradise For example,

Japan has been in recession since late 1980s with no signs of recovery but there are no reported instances of religion being a contributory factor.

The second is the case of Greece. Alexander the great invaded India and many other parts of the world at around 1st century BC or so and was named the world conqueror. But the same Greece is now making rounds with the begging bowls to the IMF World Bank etc. trying to negotiate better begging conditions.

If someone has done an empirical study of the negative aspects of religion to keep someone or some nations poor, I am not aware of it but till then I would assume that we are posting here based on our perceptions which may or may not be true.

Is there any supporting evidence for the statement in the highlighted portion?

Sri Sangom Sir,

My post is with reference only to the kArmic factors. I did try to dwell deeper on the karma theory and to my limited understanding the concept of karma appeal and appear to be valid only when explained as some mysterious and inscrutable force on wholesale basis. If one attempts to break karma into smaller pieces to understand it better, I do not think it would stand scrutiny.

Birth and death, I have excluded because one is the cause of another. I find the following two things happening universally all over the whole world.

The first is the case of a woman delivering a child. Roughly 50% of the human population is of female gender and approximately 80-90% of them deliver a child. Now the pain of delivering a child or "prasava vedanai" is supposed to be very acute. Now what is that kArmic act which approximately 40-45% of the human population invariably do (that earns a bad karma for them to suffer the pain) and the rest do not do which exempts them from this pain or suffering? I could not find an answer.

If it be argued that the advents in medical science has now progressed to cause painless delivery such as caesarian operation, administration of pain killers etc. then we have to concede that karma theory is not immutable but can be overcome by advances in other fields.

The second is the case of speaking untruth or lying. Almost everyone utters a lie sometime or the other in his whole life and it is so prevalent that no set of moral science or religion fails to make a mention of it. Though speaking untruth may be expedient in a given situation, it does (or is supposed to cause) harm to others in various known and unknown ways. Even innocent tiny toddlers of 2-3 years fib to gain attention, sympathy etc. from their parents as was shown in a science channel about 2-3 years back. Now what is that kArmic activity or omission of an activity which saddles everyone with this supposed bad karma?

Unless we are able to identify and isolate the cause of bad karma we can continue to believe in the theory but will have no effective mechanism to extricate ourselves out of it and karma theory can at best be a speculation.

Shri Zebra Sir,

The points you have raised are well worth considering. But since the OP has cautioned about:focus: I shall reply to you by PM. Hope you receive PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back