• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

who is a brahmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dna

sb,

please explain. are you implying something that could be termed as 'racial memory'?

studies have shown, that all people of south india share the same DNA structure. in that context, how does being born into 'Brahmin Families' gives one a better chance of attaining Brahman?

thank you.

Shri Kunjuppu

What i am implying is spiritual consciousness.There is a transference of it.Whether its embedded memory thru spirit souls or some such poorva janma karma phalan is attributing to it.

DNA,Genes...etc are physical attributes of physical body.I think our scriptures talk of various Koshas in human being.

Brahmin Families,is a term,that i broadly designate.One can be even a lover of different form or formless,Brahman.But yet they will attain Brahman.IMHO.

Today Science gives us,different classification of blood group types as well as well defined DNA.The chemical reactions that takes place when a sperm & egg,fertilise,is part of the crucial process of creation,as we all know.Each of us carry a distinct consciouness by virtue of our Karma.And accordingly the transference takes place.

That is why our forefathers/foremothers insisted certains rituals,anushtanams...so that,ultimately even in our sub-conscious level,we become conscious,of the supreme brahman.By having a guru,(he/she) acts as catalyst in the entire process,imho.

sb

:)

Its my observation,those people who are born as " Brahmin Families " have a better chance of attaining,the Brahman,due to their genetic orientation <snip>

Replace 'genetic orientation' with 'cultural orientation' and i agree with Mr Bala.

I think what Mr Bala says is very fair. He hasnt taken the ossified stance ; he doesnt say that a child born in a Brahmin family has a sureshot opportunity of attaining the Brahman, he only says the child has a "better chance".

A quick review of the greatest savants of the modern times would reveal that a reasonable majority came from Brahmin lineage be it Ramana Maharishi or Ramakrishna or the Kanchi Periyavas.

With the majority of the Alwars coming from Non-brahmin lineage it is conclusively proved that being brahmin is not a pre-requisite.

A brahmin household "generally" has the right ingredients - High on cleanliness, personal hygiene, exposure to religious text, observance of all religious festivals, carnatic music et all.

Ofcourse with the increase of nuclear families and a 'desperate urge' of the younger brahmin generation to 'break the rules' may not ensure the continuation of this environ but i feel in pockets, one may still see such close-knit and harmonised brahmin families.

I am more than amazed at the urge of the younger generations of the brahmins to break the rules for the heck of it.

As they say the only rule in breaking a rule is to know which rule to break and why. I wish the younger generation of brahmins does some introspection and tries to carry forward the rich legacy of brahmins.

Western Life

Shri Hariharan

When i observe some of our Cauc-asian race men/women,absolutely in rapturous devotion,to a lesser degree African race,Guru Srila Prabhupada,has done yeoman service for Lord Krishna.

As Adi Sankara,compactly designated North,South,East,West,Main HQ as domains of functions for Sankara-Acharyaals,as Jagath Gurus..i wish Guru Srila Prabhupada also had done such similiar demarcation.Even though now everything seems cool,but it certainly would have been great if he had done during his life time.

The Vedic Chanting,as i am used to South Indian style,it becomes a little,different when it come to others regions of India or for that matter in USA,UK,Australia,Canada..etc.

Sanathana Dharma is all inclusive,and that is how it should be.

sb

Last edited:
Dear S Bala-ji,

The "crucial process of creation" and the "distinct consciouness by virtue of our Karma" as well as the "transference" that takes place in accordance as you mention are subjects of universal laws of karma that was once explained at length by a guru. Except that he felt that birth cud be anywhere...its a vast subject and wud be difficult to put down in words.

At the same time, am with Hariharanji that the family atmosphere in a brahmin household is indeed very conducive to the development of the spiritual side of one's nature.

Anyways, Bala-ji, must say, your reply is really sweet...i was expecting that i wud start laughing again, but no, you have put it very well...thanks :)

Romba Kushi

Shri HH

Please divulge which Guru gave this commentary on Karma.I am eager to read,becoz i wrote everything in extempo without referring to any scriptural texts.Even though i miss Mahaswamigal a lot,but Ammachi visited my city here in USA.Her hug sort of compensates so much of spiritual love,that now i feel i am inside a womb of love.Practically i think now,we all are living inside god and not god living within each one of us.Thanx.

sb

Last edited:
>>At the same time, am with Hariharanji that the family atmosphere in a brahmin household is indeed very conducive to the development of the spiritual side of one's nature.<<

Shrimathi H H

Did you mean,when you say,spiritual side,in context with Sanathana Dharma aka Hinduism popularly.?

As the largest follower's of a faith,the credit goes to Christanity,and then followed by Islam and then prolly Hinduism,and then prolly Judaism. or maybe Judaism third..dunno exactly....

Christians,we all know how the lifestyle is.Same with Islamic people lifestyle.So,sort of got muddled in understanding your reply.

sb

>>Problems with censorship is that it places onus on the supply side - never on the demand side. If one does not approve of a naked art, please do not look at it. But please do not rob the rest of the population, who may have the sensibility to appreciate it as an art and not look at it as anything vulgar.<<

Shri KRS

I am only reminded of the Arabs in Dubai,who not only host & appreciate M.F.Hussain,when he artfully paints Nude Bharat Mata,Nude Mahasaraswathi,Nude Hanuman carrying Amma Sita...etc yet i have not seen a single painting of M.F.Hussain,wherein he portarys his father nude with his mother nude,in the process of begetting him,to this world and he himself nudely suckling his mothers mammary gland and having an electra complex from it!!!!

Not to look at nude pictures in its totality is one thing.In fact every temple of our Sanathana Dharma,has figurines,statues, Kama-Sutra poses..sometimes instead of Bhakthi getting inculcated,i get bhakthi for a different kinds of acts altogether.Of course its just me and my silly imaginations which turns me on.

But to paint something,with the sole intention of,hurting the sentiments of millions of Hindus is totally another thing.

As a Tamil Brahmin,i have to neccessarily think,that M.F.Hussains paintings is part of his artificial art expression towards Hindus!!!That the Sheiks of Dubai,are totally justified,as Hindus are Kafirs,and therefore nothing wrong at all to patronise,an abject bufoon like M.F.Hussain!!!!

I feel like buying a Smith & Wesson,and blowing M.F.Hussain,JJ,MU Ka.....brains if at all thay had one.Despite such barbaric thoughts in my head only...but still thats how i feel.So,sorry.

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back