• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

who is a brahmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ji ... no offence taken .... just trying to share thots .. but gotta work with time constraints too ... thanks for understanding and thnks for the oppurtunity to interact ...

no ...........brahmins the caste are not the same as the brahmins in the varna dharma .. we r just trying get away with that ....
the varna dharma was based on the aptitude of a person towards a particular way of living .. that way ..........brahmanas were those who were into contemplation and purely intellectual inquiry ,at the cost of material benefits or interests ... similarly for other varnas ..
one is a brahmana or not depending purely on what one does ... that is the reason our scriptures talk abt kshatriya kings taking up penance becoming a rishi and then a brahmana ...
in the bhagavadham , there is a term for the way of life we are leading .. if i am right ,it was used by lord krishna to refer to aswathama refering to his living a life not behoving of a brahmana .. "brahma bandhu" ... it is a very polished way of telling u r not a brahmana because u dont live like one ....

Last edited:
and this degradation in the brahmana way of life among those supposed to live like one is not because other varnas said that they have no use for brahmanas or they stopped giving money to brahamans ....

the scriptures clearly say ..dharmo rakshathi rakshathah....... the true brahmana will stick to swadharma and that will protect him , one who depends on other varnas and material support for keeping up one's dharma , merely sells his dharma (values) in return for the material and other benefits ... how different is this from what a prostitute does?

for people taken to such living ,how can there be any legitmate quarter in laying blame outside of themself? ... if one considers oneself a brahmana , one should look to learn how a brahmana should live and bring it into practice ...to the extent we do this , we will begin our journey to become brahmanas in reality ,ie according to the shruthi ... and this is an "all or none" law .. one is either a brahmana or not ... nothing like one is a 50% brahmana coz one follows 50% of wht the scriptures say .....just calling ourselves brahmana or having others call us brahmins never made us brahmins .... but , we are entitled to our delusions ...........

brahmana lakshanam and what mahaperiyavaa had to say on this ... in the next post ...

thnk u ji.

to be contd ..............

Last edited:
Many thanks vv-ji. Finally some quenching. Am still very thristy.

Its always natural for people to call themselves something or the other, to me it really does not matter. But what am most highly interested in is the brahma-gnanam itself. Could you please mention that.

Dear Sri Seshadri Subramaniam Ji,

Your interpretation of this Upanishad is quite strange indeed. The Upanishad of course is acknowledging the existence of castes - as it is a true phenomenon.

But what it describes are the attributes of a true Brahmin in Prakriti (not a fully realized soul, but rather having all the qualifications to become a realized soul).

Your interpretation is interesting and perhaps makes sense if you read this with certain view point in mind. Ditto with mine.

However, in either case, let us agree that a Brahmin is not born in to a clan; rather he is defined by extraneous things apart from his birth identity.

Please let me know if this assertion is false.

Regards,
KRS

My take is this:

There are several ways to the One.

If one wishes to say he inherited the gunas from his father and honed them in a certain way due to the circumstances he inherited (which is true as well), then he is free to do so.

If one wishes to say he inherited nothing from his father, but honed his inherent qualities in a certain way and made the circumstances himslef, then he is free to do so.

Those that beleive in varna by birth are made by that God.
Those that do not beleive in varna by birth are made by that God as well.

Everybody and every practice (as long it does not harm others) has a place under the sun.

The sanyasas generally seem to like to think that they are removed from any form of varna, so they do not claim to be a 'brahmin' either. Neither do some profess any form of 'known' philosophies. Like one jeeyar disappeared into a cave (am sure He didn't do sandhayvandanam there) and did not 'speak'. Such people have their place and are made by God that way.

The current 'brahmins' generally seem to like to think that they are the 'brahmins' due to birth into a given circumstance and adherence to some rituals. They have their place under the sun as well, just as the sanyasas. For God designed them too that way.

Those that wish to call themselves anything they want, have all freedom to do so. If anyone wants to call themselves kings and queens, am sure such people have a place under the sun as well! (reminds me of a lady who always prided about being born into the great raju community that give rise to every king ever known in andhra).

Anyone can claim anything, can be anything they want (except that we don;t want them to become total loonies, we are all half-loonies anyways :lol: ).

Why mess with anyone's sentiments and freedom to call themselves (or be) in a certain way....God made all ways....

All ways can. A also can. B also can. Z also can. My impatient ways also can....God why i can't wait....my prob is this: VV-ji has wetted my interest and gone back to be busy, while am dying to hear from him. VV-ji, where art thou? Please, can you hear me??????

mahaperiyavaa on the state of brahmanas ...
once a group of brahmins went to mahaperiyavaa for darshan .. they were sad and complaining about the "declining status" of brahmins in society ,,,
periyavaa sed , " am not worried abt ur inability to do more financially for the matam , i will manage it .. but i need u to make sure that each one of u send atleast one child of urs to a vedha patasalai , do that and ur status will be fine" .....
it is a different story we never comply with wht periyavaa wants us to do , we culdnt give up coffee , silk saree and cinema in the first place , let alone make sure atleast one child goes on to become a veda vidwan .... but there is no lack of jingoism calling ourselves brahmins and having all sorts of functions and celebrations in his name , coz he is our guru and we all live as he wants us to ... yeah , rt!!!!

brahmana lakshanam .. nxt post

thnk u ji.

(to be contd.)

sant gnaneshwar and his siblings were born gnanis , belonging to brahmins.. they lost their parents even while they were toddlers ... since their father was a sanyasi who upon his guru's order came back to grihastasrama , these children were now snubbed and ostracised by the brahmins .... the gnanis they were , they carried on , but gnaneswar-ji felt that it was his duty to have upanayanam .. so the children approached many "brahmins" .. no one offered to do it for them .. finally when they were snubbed off by brahmins that they had now descended too low to be brahmins to need upanayanam , sant gnaneswar explains to them brahmana lakshanam ..............

" janmanaa jaayathe sudhrah .... everyone is born a sudhra .. then upanayana makes one a dwija(twice born) ... then one takes to study of scriptures to become a vipra .. the vipra advances to yagnas and the kind to become a shrouti ..... the shrouti then meditates deep and starts having drishti of mantras and becomes a rishi .... even rishis have raga and dwesha , hence they get to curse , then the rishi overcomes these and becomes a muni .,full of satwa guna ... finally when the muni transcends even the satwa guna and becomes gunaatheetha or nirguna .... he becomes a brahmana "

it is not a question wht anyone chooses to believe , the shruthi and the smriti are the constitution , they have the final say .... gita>tasmaat shastram paramaananthe

tc.

Last edited:
vv-ji,

Guess what? I end up checking this page practically every one hour or so no matter what, to see if you posted anything. Am just too eager. Again, i request you, please do try and post at full length. I didn't even wait for the birth of my kid like this :)

So you say: shudra => dwija => vipra => shrauta => rishi => muni => brahmana.

Is this from the vedas? The one you say: "janmanaa jaayathe sudhrah". Which text is this from?

Lets say, someone like an alwar, or mahavtar babaji, did not undergo upanayanam and 'technically' they are not dwijas, but yet, the alwars were mantra-drishtas (babaji left no hymn or text though) and were / are brahman-realized souls, then what wud they be considered? Wud they not fulfil the 'vedic form' of "brahminhood"? Wud seeking the path of the "brahman" without an upanayanam, be considered as non-vedic or tantra?

Am curious, because what i was told is that inclinations are inherent and shd not be fought against. If one's deepest 'need' feels like seeking the nirguna state, then that is sufficient to allow one to pursue it...svadhyaya may or may not happen..was told self-inquiry is the better form of svadhyaya (is it true?). What wud your take and what is the 'vedic" take on this?

When you say the shruthi and the smriti are the final constitution, is it some form of a undisputable code put down as an undefiable law ? Are there any consequences of not following this law (as regards the idea that anyone can seek moksha)?

Right now am thinking tasmaat shastram paramaananthe means 'that's why the shastras (are a source of) prime or great bliss' (wud that b right?). Wud such a statement amount to saying that following what is prescribed the 'shastric' way it the only way to 'bliss'? Again, what wud 'bliss' mean ? A transcendent state of absolute stillness resulting in that (undescribable) infinite 'bliss' ? To seek that, is is really necessary to follow the 'shastric' way?

Happy Deepavali and God Bless.

Cheers.

Dear Sri Seshadri Subramaniam Ji,

Your interpretation of this Upanishad is quite strange indeed. The Upanishad of course is acknowledging the existence of castes - as it is a true phenomenon.

But what it describes are the attributes of a true Brahmin in Prakriti (not a fully realized soul, but rather having all the qualifications to become a realized soul).

Your interpretation is interesting and perhaps makes sense if you read this with certain view point in mind. Ditto with mine.

However, in either case, let us agree that a Brahmin is not born in to a clan; rather he is defined by extraneous things apart from his birth identity.

Please let me know if this assertion is false.

Regards,
KRS

My replies may seem to be that of an ignorant mind; nevertheless, I proceed with my explanation:
  • Pray, what is the difference between a realized soul and a soul having all the qualifications? In my view (and in this context), they are one and the same… It assumes more validity if one considers the Brahman to be the supreme state of realization (without ascribing, to Brahman, the status of "God" or "The Supreme Being").
  • I am inconclusive as regards "God" – call it by whatever name. Maybe some atheist thinking, but my mind does not accept anything if it is simply stated, even if it is stated in our scriptures. (Excuse me for deviating from the main topic).
  • According to the Upanishad, if a Brahmin is one who has realized Brahman, then, on the same lines, what is the status quo of the other castes?
  • The meaning of Brahman may denote different things according to one’s pursuit; some may identify "Truth" with Brahman, some "Knowledge", others "Love", and yet others call it devoid of any identity (or character) – "Nirguna". "Guna" arises only from desire – a desire to know more, a desire to live, a desire to do our duty, a desire to act, a desire to achieve the state of Brahman; that is why detachment is advocated in all our activities – "Attached, yet detached". So, a state of mind where there is no desire, no attachment is "Nirguna". This is not possible to achieve with sensory organs – as is obvious. Hence, it is that state of realization of the conscious mind, when not acted upon by the sensory organs. It is said that the highest chakra of Kundalini also leads to this state.
  • So, if a person is qualified to be "Nirguna", he is not a Brahmin (as he becomes "Nirguna" itself); can it be said that a Brahmin is one who strives to be a "Nirguna"? But then, this is applicable to all – Kshatriya, Vysya and Shudra alike. Then, who indeed, is a Brahmin?
  • Seems that, it is not the spiritual that can identify a Brahmin, as there are examples of Non-Brahmins achieving "Moksha". So let us start in a different manner – Of the four varnas, define who is a Shudra, a Vysya and a Kshatriya, the residual element may be the Brahmin!
That should be simple???

Dear SS-ji,

Am sorry, this was meant for KRS-ji, but took the liberty to express below. KRS-ji, hope you will not mind my insolence. Am sorry. Hope you will take part soon.

====================
My inputs in maroon below:

I am inconclusive as regards "God" – call it by whatever name. Maybe some atheist thinking, but my mind does not accept anything if it is simply stated, even if it is stated in our scriptures. (Excuse me for deviating from the main topic).

This is very interesting. Though inconclusive, if you do not mind, can i request you to please say something about what have been or are your current feelings or ideas about "God". I do not think you are deviating at all...because ultimately this is what we all want to know - "God".

Same for KRS-ji and VV-ji, since this is "the pursuit" (which we are discussing here), could you please also mention what has been the concept of "God' to you. Kunjuppuji, Brahmanyanji, please wud you also contribute. What does "God" feel like (or mean) to you. Thankyou.

According to the Upanishad, if a Brahmin is one who has realized Brahman, then, on the same lines, what is the status quo of the other castes?

Imho, "caste" or "ja-ati" are just numerous occupation groups we take birth into numerous times. One can be doing any occupation and yet have his mind fixed (or in the pursuit of) a certain form of stillness. Am not sure such an individual wud fit the pic of "brahmin", since just as you say, me too find it tuf to see the nirguna state fitting into or qualifying as 'varna'. Such people tend to see themselves removed from both any form of varna (this might be the spiritual avarna group ?).

Am trying to see a diff b/w social-varna and spriritual-varna, as two seperate classes. They seem to have always existed, with both living side-by-side in peace. A switch-over from social-varna to spiritual-varna has always happened.

I do not consider any saints as 'non-brahmin' at all. To me the concept of 'saints' of 'backward classes' just does not apply. Kabir wud certainly be 'brahmin' to me (again, i am making a clear diff b/w a sage (sanyasi) and a saint (a 'realized' sanyasi)). A 'sage' wud not fit into any form of varna, but a 'realized' sage as a 'saint' might fit into the spiritual-varna as 'brahmin'. But then, it also depends on the various sanyasa-traditions, as each seem to have their own definitions.

The meaning of Brahman may denote different things according to one’s pursuit; some may identify "Truth" with Brahman, some "Knowledge", others "Love", and yet others call it devoid of any identity (or character) – "Nirguna". "Guna" arises only from desire – a desire to know more, a desire to live, a desire to do our duty, a desire to act, a desire to achieve the state of Brahman; that is why detachment is advocated in all our activities – "Attached, yet detached". So, a state of mind where there is no desire, no attachment is "Nirguna". This is not possible to achieve with sensory organs – as is obvious. Hence, it is that state of realization of the conscious mind, when not acted upon by the sensory organs. It is said that the highest chakra of Kundalini also leads to this state.

imho, not necessarily, since the sahasrara is the nirguna. As for the detached way of doing things, it is said that just mooladhara awakening is sufficent to produce complete detachment inside, while retaining a sort of passionate life outside. But this is not considered good by spiritual masters. Esp if both worlds are seem as clashing and hence causing confusing to the person, its not considered 'proper' awakening at all - they would ask one to harmonize both the outer and inner worlds, if one wants to see any nano-thing of anything more. This might mean, having to forsake one of the worlds.

So, if a person is qualified to be "Nirguna", he is not a Brahmin (as he becomes "Nirguna" itself); can it be said that a Brahmin is one who strives to be a "Nirguna"? But then, this is applicable to all – Kshatriya, Vysya and Shudra alike. Then, who indeed, is a Brahmin?

Not sure if there is anything called "brahmin" as a varna that exists outside of oneself (am refering to spiritual-varna here). We churn the ocean of our conscious mind, struggle to understand why we are thus, and then attempt to move towards the 'mindless' state. By doing so we wud be moving from the tamasa guna to sattva guna. Then again, what is 'brahminhood' from the scriptures? Am depending on vv-ji to explain that part.

In current times too, there are saints that will not fit into social-varna as brahmins but will certianly fit the spiritual-varna as "brahmins". There still are mantra-drishtas amongst us. Mata Amritanandamayi is one who comes to my mind right away, for she strings beautiful songs (like krishnam shranam mama) instead of mantras alone as chants.

Seems that, it is not the spiritual that can identify a Brahmin, as there are examples of Non-Brahmins achieving "Moksha". So let us start in a different manner – Of the four varnas, define who is a Shudra, a Vysya and a Kshatriya, the residual element may be the Brahmin!

That should be simple???

Last edited:
Dear happyhindu,

Who is God?

There is a difference between knowing, inferring and assuming...

So, frankly, I do not know… Bheeshma had said that we cannot know God through "tarka".

So one has to realize God; but does realization depend on perception?

Am struggling to find the answer (if there is one). For had I known "God", my path would be clear (note: it is different from "having a clear path by deciding or assuming God")...

But then again, I do not know whether the other "knows" God; so in effect each one to his realization...

To your other views:

"According to the Upanishad, if a Brahmin is one who has realized Brahman, then, on the same lines, what is the status quo of the other castes?"

My point in asking this question is that – in essence there can be no varnas when it is a question of spirituality.

"imho, not necessarily, since the sahasrara is the nirguna."

The highest chakra in kundalini is the sahasrara.

"As for the detached way of doing things, it is said that just mooladhara awakening is sufficent to produce complete detachment inside, while retaining a sort of passionate life outside. But this is not considered good by spiritual masters. Esp if both worlds are seem as clashing and hence causing confusing to the person, its not considered 'proper' awakening at all - they would ask one to harmonize both the outer and inner worlds, if one wants to see any nano-thing of anything more. This might mean, having to forsake one of the worlds."

I don’t understand your difference here; in my view, you have meant the same thing as my para referred to, but in a different manner.

I think that the question of identifying a brahmin (andhanan, in tamil) has to be seen in context with the other varnas… only then does the classification make sense (and is also consistent). Hence, a brahmin is one who is defined as a brahmin based on how other varnas have been defined (the occupation) in relation to the society (much like "A company is one which is defined as a company under the companies act 1956").

In conclusion:

In one of my views, brahmins originally might have been the set of people who were entrusted with book-keeping i.e., preserving the shruti and smriti… Each (sub group) probably would have taken up a separate branch (Veda) and ensured that their successors followed the same so that the knowledge does not become extinct (the highest level of "kalari" was also taught this way – all the vital points were not taught to one person; different students would receive different skill sets). This perception might have undergone a gradual change whenever a scholastic individual gave authoritative views on the subject. Also, the brahmins would then have been considered masters of the subject and hence their word in religious and spiritual matters would have been held in high esteem. This naturally, might have glorified the brahmin class, as a result of which they would have elevated themselves superior to the other varnas (due to their knowledge). Probably to snub this, the definition of the spiritual brahmin had evolved. Again, there were highly elevated brahmins who were thirsty for more knowledge and practised what they learnt. Thus, there might have been a parallel evolution of the spiritual "brahmin". (Has it ever occurred to anyone why there is a spiritual definition for only the brahmin? and not for the other varnas? coz., it does not make sense to differentiate in the spiritual path)

Note: the above para does not quote from scriptures, but represents only my views and may be even construed by some as a work of fiction… ;-)

I would like to rest my case here... as I do not always find the scriptures to be the final authority in everything... so, those who seek an answer within the boundaries may not be satisfied by my trivia...

Regards,
Seshadri

In one of my views, brahmins originally might have been the set of people who were entrusted with book-keeping i.e., preserving the shruti and smriti… Each (sub group) probably would have taken up a separate branch (Veda) and ensured that their successors followed the same so that the knowledge does not become extinct (the highest level of "kalari" was also taught this way – all the vital points were not taught to one person; different students would receive different skill sets). This perception might have undergone a gradual change whenever a scholastic individual gave authoritative views on the subject. Also, the brahmins would then have been considered masters of the subject and hence their word in religious and spiritual matters would have been held in high esteem. This naturally, might have glorified the brahmin class, as a result of which they would have elevated themselves superior to the other varnas (due to their knowledge). Probably to snub this, the definition of the spiritual brahmin had evolved. Again, there were highly elevated brahmins who were thirsty for more knowledge and practised what they learnt. Thus, there might have been a parallel evolution of the spiritual "brahmin". (Has it ever occurred to anyone why there is a spiritual definition for only the brahmin? and not for the other varnas? coz., it does not make sense to differentiate in the spiritual path)

Note: the above para does not quote from scriptures, but represents only my views and may be even construed by some as a work of fiction… ;-)

Dear SS-ji,

Thanks for the post. Very interesting and very nice to read.

I agree with u on how the groups and sub-groups might have been formed. Nothing is fiction. All are valid possibilites. The fact that they occur to us, just means they had certainly occured to ones before us, who already must have experimented with it.

As for the "spiritual-brahmin", no i don't think the definition has evolved to snub or anything; instead it has evolved (or has always existed ?) to make a clear distinction b/w one that follows the jnanakanda and one that follows the karmakanda without following the jnanakanda per se.

Guess there is a "spiritual definition only for the brahmin and not for other varnas"; because it might hv happpened that the other "varnas" you speak of are in-fact social-ones; not spiritual ones. When one talks of spirituality, all that remains in the realm of it, in any form of understanding, is the vast 'brahman'.

Please do actively take part. Hope that all others also actively take part. Am not much into scriptures as well, but i do find the necessity to read up of late and am dabbling in it. Am wrong many times. It just means thre is an opportunity to get it right next. Sometimes we find that some things that we came to a feel on our own or had been told to us, have already been mentioned in the scriptures. Mayb that's why they say enduro mahabhavulu, andariki naa vandanam - since no can ever be able to count how many have been on that path :)

Regards.

I bifurcate this question into two. One is, who is a brahmin and the other is,
who can be called a brahmin.

Who is a brahmin?

To seek answer to this question, we must know who is a kshatriya, who is a vaisya and
who is a shudra.

'Shudra' is one who toils and produces goods and services for the whole society. He
contributes by doing physical labour.

'Vaishya' is one who mobilises and gives adequate resources to keep the shudra working
always. He creates wealth and employment.

'Kshatrya' is one who administers, feeds and guards all the other three. He is the ruler.

'Brahmin' is one who is the fountainhead of knowledge - ancient and modern- and advises
all, with the help of the kshatriya. He not only imparts knowledge, but does the course
correction, by giving proper direction with his convincing and persuasive skills. He is thus
an opinion leader and judge rolled into one.

Who can be called a brahmin?

A person who does not interfere in others' roles and functions, unnecessarily.

A person who acts according to his conscience and possesses unassailable character.

A person who does not aim for material benefits and leads a simple life.

A person who cannot be influenced by allurement, coercion, threat, hatred or personal
prejudices.

A person who is consistent, but never hesitates to change/correct himself, should any
need arise.

A person who is able to think ahead of times, before embarking upon anything new. He is a trend-setter.

A person who is generous, magnanimous, humble and helpful within the limited means.

A person who preserves, but not conceals, all that he has learned.

A person who completes his life journey on this mother earth, with a sense of fulfilment.

Dear vv-ji,

Your small posts have put in some small seeds of doubt in me. Hope am not making any mistake by seeking any path....esp since in the recent times, i have been trying to go back to some yoga (unsuccessfully though)....hope you will come back and complete your posts here. Am eagerly looking forward to them :hungry: . Thankyou :pray:

who are not real brahmins ?

if you see ''The Hindu 'dtd 24th oct middle page,there is a news 'carnatic songs set to the tune of christian music 'giving further details that C Ds on carnatic songs
in various ragas praising jesus in kirthanas like 'kanakan kodi'ect songs rendered
by musicians Nithyasree mahadeven, O.S.Arun,Sriram parthasarathy were released by Auna sairam in the presence of chennai archbishop,father gasper raj
Sriram group director Smt akila srinivasan (active member of tamil maiyam run by
father gasper raj whose connection with srilankan tamil movement is known to
everyone). all above musicians were honoured and Aruna sairam praised those
musicians for rendering songs on christianity which will help christians hear
carnatic music in their style.
Last year bombay jashree did the same good noble work to glorify jesus by rendering carnatic music and her CDS were released by chennai archbishop and
tamil maiyam members kani mozhi,akila srinavasan,father gasper raj.

this reminds me that one can not find any monkeys staying or living near
mosques or in churches as monkeys lives in temples or nearby or in palaces
of hindu warriers becouse monkeys know the roots,heritage,culture of native
soil as it gave divinity through the avatar of lord Ram and lord Krishna.they
do not exchange their souls for some eatable items offered by other foreign
religious places.

the above musicians have exchanged their souls,divinity just for the sake of
foreign missionaries money in dollars by singing songs in carnatic music ragas
to praise foreign religious faith. our sages,saints,azhwars sang in praise of
gods who took avatar in our puniya bhumi and refused to sing in praise of
kings who offered gifts to them.
pity all above brahmin musicians can not be called as brahmins but parasites.
they did great injustice to carnatic music field for assassinating
divinity and its culture,heritage for having mixed ragas/songs
of various saints to glorify anniya cult just for the sake of money.
during this season,all brahmins must protest them and boycott
the above musicians who are against sanatana dharama and
whose goal is only money making.

who are not real brahmins ?

the given below message of truth went unnoticed to many people in this forum -may be reason that moderator did not want to offend the section of brahmin musicians who had sold the divinity of carnatic music to anniya
matha which works against the sanatana dharma just for the sake of money in dollars.let true hindus irrespective of their caste or creed first
realise the damages done by some section of brahmin musicians or dancers who are helping the missionaries to achieve their goal of cultural
assassination of hindu dharma. i refer this against the news item appeared
in THE HINDU dtd 24th oct 'carnatic music set to the tune of christian songs' contributors are nithaysree mahadeven,o s arun,sriram parthasarathy, bombay jayshree.c d release function was presided by aruna sairam in the august presence of chennai archbishop,kanimozhi,
father gasper raj, akila srinivasan of tamilmaiyam director of sriram group
(she is the connecting person for all above pseudo brahmins who sing
praise for any individual just for the sake of money).let forum members
comment on above .so i reproduce it again.

if you see ''The Hindu 'dtd 24th oct middle page,there is a news 'carnatic songs set to the tune of christian music 'giving further details that C Ds on carnatic songs
in various ragas praising jesus in kirthanas like 'kanakan kodi'ect songs rendered
by musicians Nithyasree mahadeven, O.S.Arun,Sriram parthasarathy were released by Auna sairam in the presence of chennai archbishop,father gasper raj
Sriram group director Smt akila srinivasan (active member of tamil maiyam run by
father gasper raj whose connection with srilankan tamil movement is known to
everyone). all above musicians were honoured and Aruna sairam praised those
musicians for rendering songs on christianity which will help christians hear
carnatic music in their style.
Last year bombay jashree did the same good noble work to glorify jesus by rendering carnatic music and her CDS were released by chennai archbishop and
tamil maiyam members kani mozhi,akila srinavasan,father gasper raj.

this reminds me that one can not find any monkeys staying or living near
mosques or in churches as monkeys lives in temples or nearby or in palaces
of hindu warriers becouse monkeys know the roots,heritage,culture of native
soil as it gave divinity through the avatar of lord Ram and lord Krishna.they
do not exchange their souls for some eatable items offered by other foreign
religious places.

the above musicians have exchanged their souls,divinity just for the sake of
foreign missionaries money in dollars by singing songs in carnatic music ragas
to praise foreign religious faith. our sages,saints,azhwars sang in praise of
gods who took avatar in our puniya bhumi and refused to sing in praise of
kings who offered gifts to them.
pity all above brahmin musicians can not be called as brahmins but parasites.
they did great injustice to carnatic music field for assassinating
divinity and its culture,heritage for having mixed ragas/songs
of various saints to glorify anniya cult just for the sake of money.
during this season,all brahmins must protest them and boycott
whose goal is only money making.

Its not a good thing to target artists. Hope some of our artists exercise discretion though. I remember having read about gaspar raj on asiantribune.com. Seeing his name mentioned here, makes one wonder, if perhaps he might have funded the manipulation of devotion and the tunes.

Sometimes i feel that people cud adopt christianity or anything they please, but eventually the mind wanders and wanders, and ends up back into the sanatan fold, nativization using native music or any such thing notwithstanding.

Am beginning to wonder at vv-ji's posts. He must be a very lucky man to have had a personal meeting with Sri Mahaperiaval to discuss things personally. I just wish, he wud share it with others.

Last edited:
I agree with gopu that some brahmins compromise values and ideals for fame and money... but in a way and in a much lesser degree, we all do(?).

"all brahmins must protest them and boycott

whose goal is only money making"

Good point, actually... but there seems to be just one problem - unity of brahmins. In a thread, I had tried to bring out the inhibitions of why brahmins abstain from mainstream politics and to find out whether we can arrive at any consensus as regards the solution.

The search still remains a search only.

But yes, we can vent our frustrations on an electronic media hiding our identity to the world; and we are proud to be "behind the scene" administrators...

Seshadri

(Maybe gopu should have started a separate thread - "who are not real brahmins?")

Sesh-ji,

a bitter truth:

"lack of unity" is a very common trait. Infact, brahmins come across as a united group (externally atleast), more than several other caste-based groupings. The top slots for greatest unity (caste notwithstanding, since it has been eschewed in this groups) imho, however must go to the Punjabi population, followed by the Malayalee, then the Bengali, then the Telugu, then the Maharashtrian...

When one prospers and reaches a certain extent, the ones they fear the most are their own - so that they too will not get there. This 'crab mentality' seems to have been quite common in how "fiefdoms" were contructed in the past. It wud be a wonder why anyone should follow it in this present times, considering that this serves no one but the guys manouvering the legislative assembly. It wud be an utter shame if tamilians (caste notwithstanding) followed it in future as well...

My apologies since this is crudely honest.

உண்மையான பிராமணன் யார் என்ற கேள்விக்கு இன்றைய நிலையில் விடை அளிப்பது மிகவும் கடினம். எல்லாவற்றிலும் ப்ரம்மத்தைக் காண்பவன் தான் பிராமணன் என்று சொல்லலாம்.
நீங்கள் குறிப்பிட்டுள்ள இசைமேதைகள் ஏசுவிலும் இராமனைக் காண்பவர்களாக ஏன் இருக்கக்கூடாது?
ஜேசுதாஸ் தியாகராஜரின் கீர்த்தனைகளைப் பாடும்போது அவர் தன் ஆத்மாவையா விற்கிறார்?
பன்மையில் ஒருமை காண்பது ஹிந்துமதம்.
அவர்களை பஹிஷ்கரிக்கவேண்டும் என்று நினைப்பதும் பேசுவதும் எழுதுவதும்
அழகல்ல.
எஸ். கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி

I am trying something in Tamizh. Hope it is readable..

உண்மையான எப்படி சொல்லலாம் ?

நான் ஒரு முட்டாள் . யாருக்கும் கோபம் வராமல் பெசுரடு மிகவும் கடினம்.

Hope i got that right :) Blame the mistakes on the transliteration software please...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back