• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What is the difference between Iyer and Iyengar kolams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know there was a difference in Kolam designs on basis of religious philosophy.

Yes, I know there are some traditions that are different. Like food, clothes, religious practice, songs etc.

Kolam is a form of drawing that is drawn by using rice flour.

Kolams are thought to bring prosperity to homes. Every morning in Tamil Nadu, millions of women draw kolams on the ground with white rice flour. Through the day, the drawings get walked on, washed out in the rain, or blown around in the wind; new ones are made the next day. Every morning before sunrise, the floor of the house, or where ever the Kolam may be drawn, is cleaned with water and the muddy floor swept well to create an even surface. The kolams are generally drawn while the surface is still damp so the design will hold better.

Occasionally,
cow dung is also used to wax the floors. In some cultures, cow dung is believed to have antiseptic properties and hence provides a literal threshold of protection for the home. It also provides contrast with the white powder.Decoration is not the main purpose of a Kolam. In olden days, kolams were drawn in coarse rice flour, so the ants would not have to walk too far or too long for a meal. The rice powder also invited birds and other small creatures to eat it, thus welcoming other beings into one's home and everyday life: a daily tribute to harmonious co-existence. It is a sign of invitation to welcome all into the home, not the least of whom is Lakshmi, the Goddess of prosperity and wealth. The patterns range between geometric and mathematical line drawings around a matrix of dots to free form art work and closed shapes.
Though not as flamboyant as its other Indian contemporary, Rangoli, which is extremely colourful, a South Indian Kolam is all about symmetry, precision, and complexity. Due to their complexity, trying to figure out how, exactly, these designs were drawn can be a challenge that some viewers find enjoyable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolam

Last edited:
Namaskarams,

Yes there are differences in the kolam patterns. Iyer kolams are formed with straight lines while iyengar kolams are formed with curved lines. Iyer kolams can be extended to some extent only but Iyengar kolams can be extended to any extent as they are formed with curved lines.

Anbuden
Adiyen

Even with straight lines, it is possible to have real huge kolams in Iyer style.

There is a guy, who is an expert in making fantabulous kalyaNa kOlams, in Ernakulam.

I have posted his picture in one of the threads which I started. Let me see if I can share it here.

It is a news to me that IyengArs make only 'neLi kOlams'!! :)

Got it! Source: வண்ண வண்ண மனிதர்கள்!

''​கோல நாயகன்!

நளினமான நடை; கன்னம் குழியச் சிரிப்பு; காதுகளில் கடுக்கன்; உடை ஜீன்ஸ் + டீ ஷர்ட். மாப்பிள்ளையைப்

பெண் வீட்டார் மண்டபத்திற்குள் அழைக்கும்போது, அவனும் உடன் நின்றான். பெண் வீட்டிற்குச் சொந்தமோ

என்று நினைத்தேன்.
மண்டப நுழைவாயிலில், அழகான பெரிய மாக்கோலம்! நெக்லஸ் வரிசைகளை வட்டமாக

அடுக்கியது போல அத்தனை அழகு!
ஒரு பெண்மணி சொன்னாள் அந்தக் கோலம் அந்த இளைஞன் இட்டது

என்று! என்ன ஆச்சரியம்! இப்போது புரிந்தது அவன் நளின நடையின் ரகசியம்.
அந்த மண்டபத்து ஆஸ்தானக்

கோல நாயகன் அவனே! அவனைப் பாராட்டி மகிழ்ந்தேன். :clap2:''

DSC00360.JPG

Even with straight lines, it is possible to have real huge kolams in Iyer style.

There is a guy, who is an expert in making fantabulous kalyaNa kOlams, in Ernakulam.

I have posted his picture in one of the threads which I started. Let me see if I can share it here.

It is a news to me that IyengArs make only 'neLi kOlams'!! :)

Are there Vadakalai Kolams and Thenkalai Kolams?

There is no difference in kolams between the two kalais. There is difference in Poonool between Iyers and Iyengars. Do you know? LOL.

hi

its available in giri store in chennai....iyer poonals are thinner and iyengars poonal are thicker in grandhi...

hi

its available in giri store in chennai....iyer poonals are thinner and iyengars poonal are thicker in grandhi...[/B]

Why is the Iyengar yagnopavitam thicker in granthi?

Any difference in thickness between Vadakalais and Thenkalais?

Namaskarams,

Yes there are differences in the kolam patterns. Iyer kolams are formed with straight lines while iyengar kolams are formed with curved lines. Iyer kolams can be extended to some extent only but Iyengar kolams can be extended to any extent as they are formed with curved lines.

Anbuden

Adiyen

I have only seen the Iyer style kolams. I have seen it with straight lines and with curved lines.

Your contention seems incorrect, can you quote some references?

Here is a site with various kolam patterns.

http://indianexpress.com/photos/lif...-in-tamil-nadu-pongal-date-in-2017-4471892/7/

Nowadays the typical Tamil Kolam style is being influenced by Rangoli from the north.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back