• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What I learned growing up with a devout Hindu mom — and an atheist dad who made fun o

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

If you are too sensitive - just skip, it is not for you.

By Deepak Singh
My mother performs many religious rituals. This one is called Griha Parvesh, a Hindu house warming ceremony. My father makes fun of them all. Credit: Courtesy of Deepak Singh
My mother is a devout Hindu. She follows every ritual, fasts for every festival on the Hindu calendar and performs most religious ceremonies. She even claims to have read every Hindu text. She has a small temple in her home where she worships daily. When she is not praying in front of her temple, she is constantly chanting a religious verse.

But my father is an atheist who enjoys making fun of my mother’s piety. "What god are you worshipping today?" he asks my mother every morning.
“What does it matter you?” she responds. "Make sure you don’t feed all the sweets to Shiva," he says. "He might get diabetic." “You should worry about your own diabetes,” she tells him. The banter goes on and on.

On certain days of the week my mother won’t let my father enter her kitchen unless he’s taken his shower. On other days, he is not allowed to do things, like get a haircut. That might offend Lord Shani, according to my mother. But my father makes sure to get his hair cut on that very day. He says there won’t be a long line. "What a godless man you are,” she tells him. My father says he’d rather feed a hungry man than shove a laddu, kind of like a donut hole, in Shiva’s mouth.

Growing up with a pious mother and a nonbeliever father, I didn’t know how to feel about religion. Sometimes I wished my father wouldn’t hurt my mother’s feelings by ridiculing her for being religious. But I also wished my mother didn’t try to make my father feel guilty for his beliefs.

But for the most part, their arguments over religion are good-natured — something we could all learn from these days.

What I learned growing up with a devout Hindu mom ? and an atheist dad who made fun of her | Public Radio International

Sounds like a very loving couple who married each other and poke fun at each other and yet stay together.

They must be having a very stable marriage..only those with very stable marriages dare to be their true selves.

Both did not change their beliefs yet they stayed together.

Great indeed.

Sounds like a very loving couple who married each other and poke fun at each other and yet stay together.
They must be having a very stable marriage..only those with very stable marriages dare to be their true selves.
Great indeed.

Renukaji,

Amen.

There is nothing sensitive in the OP.

It all depends on personal preferences and level of understanding.

Making fun or bantering is different from hate and intention to destroy mentality exhibited by the despicable. We all make fun of our gods, take liberties with him, get angry and include his company in our good and bad times.
Kushwant Singh, claimed to be a non believer, but he was ready to kill for his belief in the external manifestations of sardar.

Nobody stopped his father from feeding poor man afterwards. Complaining just for complaint's sake. Father is a non believer but mother doesn't respect his belief! Funny. I am sure the father did not share his drinks with the 'needy'.
Since the post is a quote I will wait for a response from the son Singh.

I am sure the father did not share his drinks with the 'needy'.

No no; you are mistaken. The father only says that "instead of a laddoo to Shiva, he would rather feed a hungry mouth". Given that he is not expected to face an "either or" scenario, the action lies only in the thought.

Whether or not, suo moto, he is prone to generousity or whether he is large-hearted is not a given to be inferred from the selective musings.

Great indeed.

"yet they stayed together". Made me think.

Indian woman, however intelligent,strong and matured she may be, plays dumb. She makes her man think that he is the King, the most intelligent being in the world, the most capable fellow on earth, the best of scientists, the best of athletes, the best of everything. When that man finds no one else to brag about himself, she plays the role of a completely impressed fan of him. In short the name of the game is "feigned stupidity, feigned ignorance, feigned weakness and feigned wonderment".

Oh Indian woman!! hats off to you. Without you where will these stupid idiots be!! Thank you God. You created women and we are blessed.

"yet they stayed together". Made me think.

Indian woman, however intelligent,strong and matured she may be, plays dumb. She makes her man think that he is the King, the most intelligent being in the world, the most capable fellow on earth, the best of scientists, the best of athletes, the best of everything. When that man finds no one else to brag about himself, she plays the role of a completely impressed fan of him. In short the name of the game is "feigned stupidity, feigned ignorance, feigned weakness and feigned wonderment".

Oh Indian woman!! hats off to you. Without you where will these stupid idiots be!! Thank you God. You created women and we are blessed.

Well Deepak Singh's dad is a Mr Singh so I guess Singh is King!

Dear Vaagmi ji,

At the same time I cant help wondering...you see when anyone praises me too much I start to suspect the person...wondering if he or she is showering praises with an ulterior motive..so why doesnt the Indian male realize that his wife could just be faking it?

Dear Vaagmi ji,

At the same time I cant help wondering...you see when anyone praises me too much I start to suspect the person...wondering if he or she is showering praises with an ulterior motive..so why doesnt the Indian male realize that his wife could just be faking it?
Ada ramachandra!! All I am saying is that she is faking. She is faking her love respect and every thing to keep everything going. This includes the idiot continuing to be kanavan and purushan whether he is kal or pul. LOL.

When there is a crisis and her man fails with all his inadequacies bared it is the woman who takes charge and run the show ---efficiently too. That is Indian woman.

Ada ramachandra!! All I am saying is that she is faking. She is faking her love respect and every thing to keep everything going. This includes the idiot continuing to be kanavan and purushan whether he is kal or pul. LOL.

yes...I know she is playing dumb but he is dumber not to realize?

When there is a crisis and her man fails with all his inadequacies bared it is the woman who takes charge and run the show ---efficiently too. That is Indian woman.

Is that supposed to be a compliment for the Indian women?

It just seems to be that the Indian male gets a sadistic pleasure in knowing that he can fall flat and fail miserably but have a back up support wife to pick up and build life again for him!

I dont think women are willing to 'suffer' this much anymore!LOL

Is that supposed to be a compliment. It just seems to be that the Indian male gets a sadistic pleasure in knowing that he can fall flat and fail miserably but have a back up support wife to pick up and build life again for him!
I dont think women are willing to 'suffer' this much anymore!LOL
This again is part of the script. To discipline her man. To tell the fellow that he can not go for a repeat performance and that but for the children he would have been a doormat in the house

well, life is 'katta and meeta'; these couple show it exemplerily. son enjoys it. as someone mentoned here, yet they stay together which is great. I tell y they will get along for a long time to come. God bless them - srinivasan

couple -one with strong religeous belief and another with no belief can stay together without running

down each others beliefs. what is so great about it?

one makes lots of compromises. this is a minor thing.

maturity lies in giving space to each others preferances and having a healthy respect for a point of

view different from each other.

well where is the time to air ones differences ?

we are occupied as a couple in facing bigger economic issues to care for any issues relating to

religion

............. Indian woman, however intelligent,strong and matured she may be, plays dumb. She makes her man think that he is the King, the most intelligent being in the world, the most capable fellow on earth, the best of scientists, the best of athletes, the best of everything. When that man finds no one else to brag about himself, she plays the role of a completely impressed fan of him. In short the name of the game is "feigned stupidity, feigned ignorance, feigned weakness and feigned wonderment". .........
What a generalization, Vaagmi Sir!

Please watch the tambram mAmis around you! :spy:

P.S: TBS Sir has observed the way the mAmis talk to the mAmAs - especially while searching for a son-in-law! :D

It is good that the lady of the house is pious!

The atheist husband gets all yummy prasAdhams on all special days! :hungry:

It will be difficult situation, if the lady happens to be an atheist! :tsk:

It is good that the lady of the house is pious!

The atheist husband gets all yummy prasAdhams on all special days! :hungry:

It will be difficult situation, if the lady happens to be an atheist! :tsk:

Dear RR ji,

There are many people who subscribe to the idea of God but do not make any Naivedhyam.

So I dont think its anything to do with being a Theist or Atheist.

Dear Renu,

In all tambram houses, the pious ladies keep at least a glass of milk with added sugar as neivEdhyam, every day.

Fruits are kept for neivEdhyam before we eat. All special days have special food items to be prepared and those

who don't know to prepare it / them, replace with any type of pAyasam they know to prepare. :)

On a lighter vein, there is an adage which starts, 'uNdu kettAn pA--An; uduththuk kettAn ......... ' :becky:

Dear Renu,

I have visited many temples in the North and people buy sweets from the nearby shops and 'show' to God / Goddess, before eating!

In Kolkata Kali temple, many shops sell tiny round pieces of milk khoa and people buy a few pieces neatly arranged in a leaf made into

conical shape and 'show' to Maa Kali. :pray:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back