• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What do you think about astrology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Believing astrology is one's own desire. But, I would like to mention here that it serves
as an explanation how far we are and how it works in different situations and it also
helps us to understand the status of ourselvesbetter. Astrology has been around for
centuries right along with the Vedas and just as many believe the Vedas and it is
nothing but a science of astronomy. Everyone worship Navagrahas i.e. nine planets.
When something wrong happens, immediately we go to temple and worship
Navagrahas for relief. The Hindu temples are built many centuries before and
Navagrahas are installed almost in all temples even before the Scientists
discover the planets. If magnets could get attracted to ourearth's magnetic field
(north and south poles) which is thousands ofmiles away, why can't our blood
containing iron ingredients being impacted byearth's and the above said nine planet's
magnetic pull or attraction. If one believes or not, Jyothish is only a road map.
Similarly, if blood/water has an impact in the body, how could one say that
it can not take part in human brain functional role. Thus reading jyothisham for
mere knowledge purpose is not all a dangerous factor.

Balasubramanian NR

Vaishnavites do not worship navagrahas. In most of the Vishnu temples there will be no navagrahas installed for worship. If they are the temple will be invariably newly constructed one and in order to satisfy the bhaktas who visit the temple and to earn some income the navagraha pratishta may be done. This absence of navagrahas in vishnu temples is because of the steadfast bhakti of the vaishnavites to Srimannarayana alone and none else. This is the reason why vaishnavites do not offer navagraha tharpanam as part of sandhyavandanam daily. They stop with the kesavathi tharpanam alone. This is just for the information of members here.

I believe a good astrologer is by training able to move back and forth in the time dimension. When this is combined with the knowledge of astronomy helps him predict future and tell the past accurately. Those astrologers who do not get this skill to move in the time dimensions depend on statistics and cover up their inadequacy with a lot of astrological alphabet soup and ultimately fail in their predictions. The accuracy suffers. This particular skill to travel in time is like a sidhdhi which comes only by tapas and many of astrologers have little time and inclination to do this tapas. They just learn astrology/astronomy and come to tell us about the future and fail. The planetary position is just the space coordinate and without the time coordinate fixed it is not of much use. Very few astrologers understand this. If you get one with this talent then you are lucky/or unlucky depending on how scary the predicted future is. LOL.

Frankly it is extra-ordinary that our ancestors at thattime thought they can predict the future & they developed a elaboratesystem to do this!. As I said earlier, our Brahmin Rishis were Geniuses !!

My view – yes, it is possible to predict accurately basedon our scriptures!!

Just coz many cannot do it, does not discredit theancient science in anyway !!

Vaishnavites do not worship navagrahas. .
This absence of navagrahas in vishnu temples is because of the steadfast bhakti of the vaishnavites to Srimannarayana alone and none else.

Vaishnavas are the closest to another Non Hindu religion in their concept of worship.
Also the tolerance level of both are low..both get angry fast when challenged!LOL

Last edited:
Lord Surya is known as Bhagawan Rama's incarnation. People
do worship Lord Rama temple for getting relief from Planet Sun's effects.
As regards Moon, it is said that as Lord Krishna dwells in him. Hence
pariharams are done to Lord Krishna to get relief.
Coming to Kuja, Lord Narasimha's incarnation and he takes care of
that ill-effects. Budhan - Kalki is said to be the indweller.
That is why people go to Lord Venkateshwara's Temple to get the
ill-effects eliminated. Coming to Bruhaspathi, He is Shri Vamana's
incarnation. Next Sukra Bhagwan. Parasurama's incarnation. Where
there is no Lord Parasurama, people worship Goddess Lakshmi.
Next is Sani Bhagwan - Here comes Kurma's incarnation. People visit
the temple in Srikakulam Dist i.e. Srikurmam. Coming Rahu
He is Lord Varaha incarnation. Kethu is Mathsya incarnation.

Generally Vaishnavites follow the above procedure.

For vaishnavites there is only one bhagavan and He is Srimannarayana. Surya, Chandra, bhuthan, guru, chevvai, sukra, sani, Rahu and Ketu are not bhagavans for a vaishnavite. They are just navagrihas. They have their given role and this role giving is done by Srimannarayana like he does for any other devatha. Vaishnavites look at navagrihas with respect to that extent. They consult astrologers only for two things. One is when they want to fix a subha muhurtham for performance of some religious rituals and two when they want to match the horoscope for marriage. This linking of each navagraha to some avatar is without scriptural sanction and so is so much of ....... A few vaishnavites may think that each navagraha is a god like the other brahmins think but that is rather an exception and that exception has ignorance at the root.

Last edited:
Vaishnavas are the closest to another Non Hindu religion in their concept of worship.
Also the tolerance level of both are low..both get angry fast when challenged!LOL

That is your opinion and so I leave it at that.

It is better to believe in just one God than to believe in too many gods simultaneously and run from one to another when your prayer is not answered.

It is funny praying to five or more gods simultaneously. Naturally the question arises which God among these five is the God of Gods? LOL.

Answer please.

Tolerance level is not something to be tested now and then. Those who test would be well advised to be ready for a strike back. LOL.

And wait. It all has just started. Wait and see the tolerance level of people.

Last edited:
That is your opinion and so I leave it at that.

It is better to believe in just one God than to believe in too many gods simultaneously and run from one to another when your prayer is not answered.

It is funny praying to five or more gods simultaneously. Naturally the question arises which God among these five is the God of Gods? LOL.

Answer please.

Tolerance level is not something to be tested now and then. Those who test would be well advised to be ready for a strike back. LOL.

And wait. It all has just started. Wait and see the tolerance level of people.

Then Vaishnavism is monothesim and not polytheism.

But Perumal koils have several gods installed apart from the main deity viz Lakshmi, Rama, Krishna, Anjaneya etc.

Suppose I visit a Perumal Koil, which deity I should worship? Is it one per day or ignoring the sub deities totally?

It is said Rama was the reincarnation of Vishnu. Now, Surya is reincarnation of Rama. Here reincarnation is a continuous process.

Does Surya reincarnate?

How is it that a human being Rama reincarnates as God (Surya is treated as God)?

Rama belongs to Raghu Vamsam and when reincarnates as Surya, another Vamsam say Surya Vamsam begins. Right.

Please enlighten me.

Astrology says some-one will live for 50 yrs, the next minute a snake bites him and he dies. the astrology will look deep and finalise that it actually meant HIS soul will live 50 years coz a new asteroid creeped up 2 days ago?..

sounds a bit dodgy, don't like the phoneme of it-that is how much diplomatic i can get to !

I don't buy when someone compares like this: astrology's future is bright because there was sun during epic periods !!

I like the Metaphor: you can buy a land of few acres during your life time. but you cant buy the world full of lands and real estates!

I conclude: i will not learn astrology, i would spend time on something else!

Last edited:
this is even more scary when we compare an astrological match for a successful marriage, to an organized crime shown by INDIANASSAULT

What is a Horoscope?

What is a Horoscope?

A Horoscope is the symbolic interpretation in form of a table (format changes from country to country as well as culture to culture) for the placement of planets in the zodiac for a particular place at a particular time and day

A horoscope would be exclusive to you hence an individual character and destiny for all living beings.

Planets and Human Life

The planets (Grahas) and Human Life from Hindu Dharma

The conditions of man correspond to the changes in the position of the nine grahas. A human being does not enjoy happiness all the time nor does he always suffer hardships-- that are he experiences a mixture of happiness and sorrow. Establishments too have their ups and downs, so also nations.

The sages saw a relationship between the position and movements of the planets and the destiny of man, the sorrow and happiness experienced by him. There is a branch of astrology called "hora--skandha"

Different reasons are given for the ups and downs in a man's life for his joys and sorrows. It is similar to finding out the different causes of the ailment he suffers from.

All these different causes may be valid. Many outward signs manifest themselves as the fruits of our past karma. They are all related to one another. The course of the planets governing our life is in accordance with our karma. We come to know the consequences of our past actions in previous births in various ways. Astrological calculations help us to find out such consequences as indicated by the heavenly bodies.

A horoscope in your hands is a map of destiny, and predictions can be changed if a different path is taken; it is a divine language, a mystic cryptogram by which God has communicated what a person's destiny will be, knowing which a wise person will exercise his free will (Thought Theory) to optimize the result.
My marriage was fixed after matching the horoscope of my wife's with mine.
I do believe it was the same case with you.

We Hindus rely on our Dharma Sastra for every thing.

We Hindus see auspicious time (Muhurtham) to conduct any function

If westerners could believe, Paul the eight legged oracle who correctly tipped Germany to beat Ghana and Australia earlier in the tournament in their group D matches.( World Cup Soccer matches in some previous years) there is nothing wrong if we Hindus believe in some age old beliefs.

In our country, we are familiar with the parrot, lizard sounds, sakunam, Naadi Jothidam, the Horoscope casting and prediction, prasnam , poo ketti paarkal, kudu kudu paandi , crow's cry indicating guests or mail, nail reading,aroodam, etc .

Aroodam (Horary astrology) has been practiced for centuries in India.

You may believe in these or not, it is entirely up to you.Even if you do not believe, perhaps you may read this as a piece of fiction and forget about it.

Other countries may be having other types of prediction methods, starting with "Head or Tail", cards, taro, crystal etc.

Faith cannot have any rational proof. If one believes that he is possessed by a ghost, it is very difficult to talk him out of it but we still take him for psychiatric treatment or to a "mantravaadi" to get him cured. But if one believes in Sakunam, and delays his going out till he gets a proper Sakunam, or arranges for a good Sakunam, we just take it as a sign of piety.

The grade goes on increasing - Rahu kalam, Gulika kalam, Yamagandam, dreams, etc. But so long as these are "within the norms" acceptable to the society, we don't bother to analyze and say there are subtle principles which only those who have developed special powers will know

As long as these beliefs give confidence to those who follow it, there is nothing wrong in following them.

Source:

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeeh...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...
http://severalsuperstitions.blogspot.com...
http://hinduism.about.com/od/astrology/a...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_horo...
http://living.oneindia.in/yoga-spiritual...
http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/coffeeh...

Last edited:
That was a big echo of all the websites you have quoted Prof. PJ. I am sure the audience will like a detailed analysis.

Let me disagree for a moment. It has been proven beyond doubt that swimming is the best exercise!! But i would not think of jumping into the pool just yet. i still stick to boxing which is very good for my shoulders!

What is the point in believing in Astrology if the prospective marriage partner is not Beautiful and Bold! ? The main point is suppose the marriage partner is NICE (I mean s**y) and the astrology says the match is dangerous, then it will be like the VIJAYANAGAR EMPIRE and THENALI RAMAN story.

My friend says he will visit this thread when he gets a Beautiful Bride, i mean Beautiful and Bold!

That was a big echo of all the websites you have quoted Prof. PJ. I am sure the audience will like a detailed analysis.

Let me disagree for a moment. It has been proven beyond doubt that swimming is the best exercise!! But i would not think of jumping into the pool just yet. i still stick to boxing which is very good for my shoulders!

What is the point in believing in Astrology if the prospective marriage partner is not Beautiful and Bold! ? The main point is suppose the marriage partner is NICE (I mean s**y) and the astrology says the match is dangerous, then it will be like the VIJAYANAGAR EMPIRE and THENALI RAMAN story.

My friend says he will visit this thread when he gets a Beautiful Bride, i mean Beautiful and Bold!
Your friend is wise.
He should become a member of this forum after he becomes a senior citizen

He can concentrate on bold and beautiful and make his choice and go ahead.

in case he gets disillusioned after marriage , we can see his horoscope and that of his bold and beautiful mate recommend some pariharam.

that way hindu religion is great.

there is a way out for all sinners

you can find a ritual which you can perform to get out of any tight corner ,lol

you could very well stick to boxing than jumping into a pool unless you end up with a twisted shoulder or broken nose when you could think of a switch.

one makes a change only when one is forced . religion and horoscopes are meant for justifying lifes position not change lifestyle drastically to hurt anyone

A criminal can break all laws, and enjoy the fruits of their crime, unless they get caught.
But if you are a moral person, your own inner self would not allow you to do wrong things.

In every religion there is an escape claws, because human beings do make mistakes. Every religion thrives on putting guilt to make you pay.

A 10% to Devudu can buy a lot more black money, or a prayer to Ma Kali before the kill.
Thuggee trace their origin to the battle of Kali against Raktabija; however, their foundation myth departs from Brahminical versions of the Puranas. Thuggee consider themselves to be children of Kali, created out of her sweat. This particular point is also one of the clear disconnects in the story built on the Thuggees.

Similarly in every religion provides (misguidedly) an escape from sins committed.
Only the karma theory is a strict bookkeeper, no possible solution to an action taken, there will be reaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confession_(religion)

But even in Gita Krishna says
Bg 18.66

sarva-dharmān parityajya
mām ekaṁ śaraṇaṁ vraja
ahaṁ tvāṁ sarva-pāpebhyo
mokṣayiṣyāmi mā śucaḥ

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.

So if Krishna can deliver one from all sinful action, why not take him on his words?

Last edited:
Napoleon Bonaparte was a French military and political leader who rose to prominence during the latter stages of the French Revolution. It is said that in his younger days he went to palmist and asked about his future. The palmist was not very hopeful, because it was not in the lines of Napoleon's hand. It seems he asked the palmist as to what line would have given him future as the king of France. The palmist showed a potential line. Napoleon drew his sword and sketched that line in his palm, and then asked the palmist to read again. We all know Napoleon achieved his goal of becoming the king of France.

It is not in stars, or planets, it is neither in the lines of your palm, or palm leaves. It is in you to become what ever you want if only you can make it happen.
Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back