• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

western dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
in fact...i thought the same questions for many years ..im not fully satisfied with answers...even though im in USA.....its really

thought provoking question....even though i know some answers...but im really not satisfied....

...... Two boys aged around 22/ 23 was discussing "When in west the men are in tight suits and fully covered from head to toe why the women wear only 50 -75 less?"
Dear Sir,

Are you not seeing the new Tamil movies? We need not go to the West to find micro mini dresses. In fact, my friend from

the U S of A told me that when she objected to a short dress of her daughter, the daughter pounced on her saying that it is

much better than the dress of Tamil movie heroines!!

If I comment about the 'scanty' dress, I will be branded as 'vakra buddhi'. So better :tape:

P.S: But, I guess I can post this song:
Paappaa Paattu Paadiya -Nagesh

Day before yesterday I was at Anna Nagar and waiting for a bus. Two boys aged around 22/ 23 was discussing "When in west the men are in tight suits and fully covered from head to toe why the women wear only 50 -75 less?"

Any one answer this please

Frankly speaking our ancients wore even less than what we wear today..check out any carvings in temples and you will see that ancients wore less than us now.

This whole idea of covering up body is a recent phenomenon.

I feel since the body is ours we have the right to dress the way we like at the right place and at the right time.

One should just follow the dress code of the area..a bikini is fine at a beach and a saree is fine at a temple.

A micro mini makes a fine dress at a dance party provided one has the figure to carry it out.

On those days there were less looms, Cotton was scarcity. So no need for dress. But today?

On those days there were less looms, Cotton was scarcity. So no need for dress. But today?

Our body itself it the garment for our soul..so why cover one dress with another dress?

Body is the canvas on which the life paints a myriads of impressions..so why cover the beauty?

Day before yesterday I was at Anna Nagar and waiting for a bus. Two boys aged around 22/ 23 was discussing "When in west the men are in tight suits and fully covered from head to toe why the women wear only 50 -75 less?"

Any one answer this please

My answer may be unconventional and also perhaps, unacceptable to many in this Forum. Shri Praveen is of course the final arbiter and he can delete my post if he so feels.

There is basic difference between Male and Female sexual instincts and sexual arousal. A man has to be aroused by external sensual inputs and vice versa, external inputs do arouse the male. In traditional Indian society, marriage was not primarily an avenue for sexual enjoyment but a device to beget a son who alone could guarantee the well-being of the ancestors in the other world, after their death. Hence, woman was not required to be an object of attraction but an equal partner in the running of the family and the continuation of the lineage.

Western society particularly after the waning off of the Victorian era, is more openly oriented towards sexuality and sexual enjoyment. They therefore want their females to look as much attractive as possible. IMO, there is nothing wrong with either approach but the truth of the situation is we people have also welcomed the western outlook on the role of sex. The media has played a crucial role in this and continues to. Women have taken the cue and are changing accordingly. There are some good aspects in this also; women become more body-conscious and this leads indirectly to health consciousness also. This was lacking in the previous generations of women.

If you read Bhagavata there are references to the kumkum from the bosoms of the gopis sticking to the cheeks and sides of the foreheads of Krishna. This may give some idea that looking attractive and sexy was the norm for the gopis at least if at all bhagavata is history and not a figment of imagination.

Our body itself it the garment for our soul..so why cover one dress with another dress?

Body is the canvas on which the life paints a myriads of impressions..so why cover the beauty?

"why cover one dress with another dress?"....

You mean a nude colony....Aiyayo...I am just visualising...No..No..Some'body' needs coverage ...!!

TVK

"why cover one dress with another dress?"....

You mean a nude colony....Aiyayo...I am just visualising...No..No..Some'body' needs coverage ...!!

TVK

Who are you visualizing??LOL

That's why it is important to maintain a good body..slim and trim for woman...six pack for guys so that if at all one decides to be a Digaambara(One who has directions as their garments) they will be a visual delight.

There is nothing to feel shy about the human body..that is the body which houses our soul.

I have noticed as education level increases so does body consciousness( as in having a negative concept of our body) increase.

When I was in India once I happen to see a group of villagers from Madhya Pradesh who tied their saree in a traditional pants like manner which revealed a lot of flesh when they walked.
Even the guys tied their dhoti like that..but for this people this style of dressing was normal and they were not body conscious..they were going about as usual.

It is becos their minds are pure and innocent.

As we become more educated our vision sometimes narrows a little and we become too body conscious and view every bit of our flesh as something that is Haram to show.

So one does not have to walk around nude(cos we might land in jail) but we should be happy with the body given and not try to look at it in a negative way.

Last edited:
I have noticed many well dressed patients who turn up to clinic/hospital actually pay very little attention to their underwear.

PIO(People of Indian Origin) tend to neglect that the most!

There is basic difference between Male and Female sexual instincts and sexual arousal. A man has to be aroused by external sensual inputs and vice versa, external inputs do arouse the male.

Dear Sangom ji,

It is still thought that males are visual creatures and females are emotional creatures but to a certain extent I feel that females are visuo-emotional creatures.

Women too want a suave, dashing package who is strong and with has a soft heart.

The Alpha male Subramaniapuram type of guys who have never seen a razor in their lives will only excite a female with hirsutism or a primate.(That's why I was surprised to read in one post in another thread.. you wrote that girls like Subramaniapuram types!)

The present day woman would prefer the Metrosexual male the one who looks after himself well and will also encourage a woman to be attractive and he is confident enough to handle the attention she gets.

Last edited:
........There are some good aspects in this also; women become more body-conscious and this leads indirectly to health consciousness also. This was lacking in the previous generations of women. ......

Dear Sir,

I agree that women bothered about their good looks only till they got married, in the previous generations.

I don't know how conscious women are about their looks now, but I found X L , X X L and even X X X L sized

mini dresses flooding the market, in the U S of A! :dizzy:

Who are you visualizing??LOL

That's why it is important to maintain a good body..slim and trim for woman...six pack for guys so that if at all one decides to be a Digaambara(One who has directions as their garments) they will be a visual delight.

There is nothing to feel shy about the human body..that is the body which houses our soul.

I have noticed as education level increases so does body consciousness( as in having a negative concept of our body) increase.

When I was in India once I happen to see a group of villagers from Madhya Pradesh who tied their saree in a traditional pants like manner which revealed a lot of flesh when they walked.
Even the guys tied their dhoti like that..but for this people this style of dressing was normal and they were not body conscious..they were going about as usual.

It is becos their minds are pure and innocent.

As we become more educated our vision sometimes narrows a little and we become too body conscious and view every bit of our flesh as something that is Haram to show.

So one does not have to walk around nude(cos we might land in jail) but we should be happy with the body given and not try to look at it in a negative way.

As a doc...you know better than myself..Our skin has to be protected..protected by covering with 'something' ..which you & I use every day as dress.. But what extent and which place it should cover has become debatable point nowadays.. The reason may be 'more exposure more attractive'..attitude and attempt by males to have 'macho' look..Practically it is in everybody's mind set..In the present day contest even an automobile has to be displayed along with a half/semi clad female ..in an auto show.. as if one will be free if we buy the other.. I still have doubt how many will be maintaining their body as health consciousness...

TVK

.In the present day contest even an automobile has to be displayed along with a half/semi clad female ..in an auto show.. as if one will be free if we buy the other..
TVK

Dear TVK,

Nope you got it wrong... what buy one free one..test drive yaar!LOL

Dear Sangom ji,

It is still thought that males are visual creatures and females are emotional creatures but to a certain extent I feel that females are visuo-emotional creatures.

Women too want a suave, dashing package who is strong and with has a soft heart.

The Alpha male Subramaniapuram type of guys who have never seen a razor in their lives will only excite a female with hirsutism or a primate.(That's why I was surprised to read in one post in another thread.. you wrote that girls like Subramaniapuram types!)

The present day woman would prefer the Metrosexual male the one who looks after himself well and will also encourage a woman to be attractive and he is confident enough to handle the attention she gets.

Smt. Renuka,

I could not write about the women's part of the matter without any knowledge and it is good that you have come out with authority. It was the earlier belief that for the female generally visual inputs were not very relevant but they used to get aroused by imagination more, and even novels helped in this. May be, as you say, there is change now.

I wrote about the Subramaniapuram type males because that was exactly the words told by that Vaadhyaar; I was merely reproducing it.

What is outside is not inside in men and what is not outside in women, is inside. I think the question had been raised before. But the lure is taunting! Men covers themselves up because their heart and mind is clean and transparent. Women cover up their heart and mind with bales of textiles. Dushta Duschasanan (?) was trying to know what Draupadi has in her mind! The dictum in modern women is why not flaunt what has been given to you (as if men have not been given anything). Basically the modern women wears less and show more only to spite other women. Ramayan gave Hanuman to the world of men; may we know from people who have drunk our itihaasaas, a female counter-part as popular as Hanuman.

What is outside is not inside in men and what is not outside in women, is inside. I think the question had been raised before. But the lure is taunting! Men covers themselves up because their heart and mind is clean and transparent. Women cover up their heart and mind with bales of textiles. Dushta Duschasanan (?) was trying to know what Draupadi has in her mind! The dictum in modern women is why not flaunt what has been given to you (as if men have not been given anything). Basically the modern women wears less and show more only to spite other women. Ramayan gave Hanuman to the world of men; may we know from people who have drunk our itihaasaas, a female counter-part as popular as Hanuman.

thaaraa wife of Vaali?

I don't believe we can nor should we generalise that all women don't like Subramaniapuram guys (whatever that is!) or that all women today only prefer metrosexuals. Thats a gross generalisation and i object and disagree :)

In some ways (not the extreme cover ups of members of certain faiths) modesty in dressing shows far more confidence and shows we are comfortable in our skin. Revealing clothes have been interpreted as some sort of insecurity and constant reassurance that one is attractive, I've heard.

I don't believe we can nor should we generalise that all women don't like Subramaniapuram guys (whatever that is!) or that all women today only prefer metrosexuals. Thats a gross generalisation and i object and disagree :)

Really???

Ok Ok..You see Subramaniapuram types are like Captain Caveman sorts.
They are the sorts who will hit a woman with a club and drag her to the cave!
I am sure you remember Captain Caveman cartoon...remember he had a pet name Cavey?

When he used to get angry he will scream "CAPTAIN CAVE MAAAAAAAN"

images

Hey Amala..something is seriously wrong with us..cos we seem to be talking about cartoon characters..you were talking about Sponge Bob/Bong in another thread and here I am talking about Captain Caveman!LOL

Last edited:
Have a look at the 'Subramaniapuram' guy!! :dizzy:

Subramaniapuram-4.jpg

Photo courtesy: Google images.

Recently this picture was telecast in one of the channels. Since it was a super duper hit, I saw it for about 2 hours.

All the guys drink and smoke throughout the movie and the 'hero' follows the 'village belle' in his bicycle with a stu**d

smile on his face! Rest of the time, the friends gang picks up street fights and later go about killing people. I still wonder

what message they wanted to convey to us by this movie! I did not wait for the climax and went to :sleep:

Dear RR ji,

You know I hated the movie...It was just too violent ok esp the ending.
Good you did not see the ending..I almost fainted seeing it.

I don't like these sorts fo movies where the guys look so unkempt.

I real life I have not really seen anyone so unkempt in India.
The villagers might be poor but they are clean and do not look like these sorts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back