• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vow to speak Brahmin Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed during our visit to the US:

Whenever two Telugu guys or two Malayalee guys meet, they converse in their mother tongue.

Of course, all Hindi speaking guys also converse in their mother tongue.

In whichever part of the world we live, we Tamilians tend to speak languages other than Tamil!

தமிழின் சாபக்கேடோ இது? :tape2:

இல்லை, மற்ற மொழிகளில் நம் திறமையைக் காட்டும் நோக்கமா?

Whenever two Telugu guys or two Malayalee guys meet, they converse in their mother tongue.

In whichever part of the world we live, we Tamilians tend to speak languages other than Tamil!

Dear Mrs Raji Ram,

Neither of the reasons you have said is correct. It is the up bringing of children at home. Most of the Tamil houses now it is common to speak in English (in India or US) or Hindi (in north India) among themselves. Though it is not a sin to speak in other languages (சாபக்கேடில்லை), but children should be taught to speak in their mother tongue as for as possible at home, where ever we live. Interestingly Tamils settled in US start searching US sounding Hindu names for their children ! Now in a cosmopolitan atmosphere in the Cities, it has become a necessity for people to speak in English. In Bangalore Hindi is gaining the prominent place among the commercial class like shop keepers, hotels, auto drivers etc. because of large inflow of northerners to the City.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sir,

Even when two Tamil speaking persons meet, they hesitate to converse in Tamil. That is why I was thinking, 'தமிழின் சாபக்கேடோ இது?'

It is NOT a sin to speak any language. In fact, being proficient in more number of languages makes a person have more communication with people and increase the circle of friends!
:tea:
Regards,
Raji Ram

Dear Raji Ram,

Your observation is true. When Tamilians meet they tend to speak in English. This is because of a commonly prevalent mindset and mentality of Tamilians that speaking in English is a matter of pride. Our minds have been programmed to think that way. This attitude of Tamilians towards English must change. English is not by any means superior. Speaking in English fluently does not make any man superior to a Tamilian. English is just another language. We are unfortunately fortunate (or fortunately unfortunate, whichever way you may like) that English was forced upon us by circumstance, by the fact that we were ruled by the British whose language happens to be English. Incidentally English is the only channel, means and medium for us educate ourselves in western science. Unfortunately we have allowed the language to rule our disposition although the native speakers of that language had liberated us politically. Tamilians (including me) have allowed their minds to be crippled by allowing the language to dominate us in our conversation and communication instead of us dominating the language.

Regards,
Iyer

Last edited:
Dear Raji Ram,

Your observation is true. When Tamilians meet they tend to speak in English. This is because of a commonly prevalent mindset and mentality of Tamilians that speaking in English is a matter of pride. Our minds have been programmed to think that way. This attitude of Tamilians towards English must change. .......................

Regards,
Iyer
Dear Sir,

I would like to share one more observation....

Almost all Tambrams settled in the North India love to speak in Hindi and use a lot of Hindi words, even when they converse in English!

I always wonder: 'Do they think English is superior to Tamil and Hindi is superior to English!!

(The word 'mathlab' would appear every now and then!):blabla:

Regards,
Raji Ram

I know the 'mathlab' (purpose / motive/ object/ meaning) behind the

usage of Hindi words starting with 'mathlab'.

All of us know English very well and of course Tamil is our mother tongue.

So whenever the people from North want to feel superior to the others or

want to convey something not to be understood by the people standing

around them, they revert to the usage of Hindi.

But the best part of the fun is when you pretend not to understand their

words and then give a befitting reply in Hindi, after they finish talking.

You must see their facial expression to believe it!
:shocked: :loco:

I agree with yr suggestion. If any of us say it is difficult, because that depend on thrie self steems. If we can feel proud about we can stand for it. It is our identitiy. At the same time, other challanges are faced and many other impact based on the area, counrty where other Brahmins who are out side of Tamil Nadu. We should not take those as an excuse but be strong and promote. I am in that.

thanks
l.s.sarma

Dear Sir,

I would like to share one more observation....

Almost all Tambrams settled in the North India love to speak in Hindi and use a lot of Hindi words, even when they converse in English!

I always wonder: 'Do they think English is superior to Tamil and Hindi is superior to English!!

(The word 'mathlab' would appear every now and then!):blabla:

Regards,
Raji Ram

Well my guess is...

since our people have a affinity to Sanskrit, but they do not know how to use it. So they fall to Hindi (a close relative of Sanskrit).

If people have REAL affinity to Sanskrit, nothing/ nobody is stopping them from

learning it and using it wherever and whenever possible. I have heard the

colloquial Hindi that sounds nothing like the real Hindi and consists of mostly

metallic sounds-as though a heavy iron trunk was being dragged on a coarse

sandy surface.
:argue:

I am giving the Sanskrit words prevalent in the four South Indian languages in a thread called "A to Ksha".

I am really amazed to find how many thousands of Sanskrit words we use in our speech and in writing.

If Hindi is supposed to be close to Sanskrit, the other Indian languages are Not farther away by any means!
:drama:

Dear all
what is your view on mixing english a lot with tamil while speaking?

Dear all

One of the reasons is we do not know the apt Tamil word that can be used and hence we substitute it with the English equalent. Secondly we are more comfortable with English, we find it convenient to replace the Tamil word with English Word. Thirdly it has been accepted by the common Tamilian public to mix English words while communicating in Tamil. There are some words for which Tamil equalent does not exist, for instance scientific terms, commercial terms, modern management terms, terminologies etc. For many of the expressions where Tamil word exists, such words have been rendered classical and put in the archived box.

It needs willingness, effort and change in mentality, mindset and attitude towards English and Tamil, to use as best as possible pure, pristine Tamil Words and avoid English words.

Dear friends,

We should thank Mr. M.K for imposing pure Tamil words, since now we are familiar with new words like

பேருந்து (bus), கணினி (computer), தட்டச்சு (typing), நகலகம் (xerox center) etc, though we do not use them while speaking.

Even the less educated people know bus, auto, train, school, hospital, government and so on and do not know the equivalent in Tamil.

MakkaL TV people give new Tamil words often and the recent one we learnt is தானி for auto! Amazing!

We must choose to speak in Tamil with Tamilians and then try to add new words we know!

Regards,
Raji Ram

MakkaL TV people give new Tamil words often and the recent one we learnt is தானி for auto! Amazing!
Yes Raji Ram, I fully endorse your view, with one small caveat. We must not be afraid of incorporating foreign words into our language. As you know very well, even Tholkapiyar was in favor of it, there is a whole section on திசைச் சொல். One of the reasons English is a thriving language is because they never hesitate taking in new words, and also, coining new ones. This is one reason I really like your poems, you don't mind using English words where it makes sense.

regards ....

Thank your Prof. Sir, for your compliment (again!)

I call my write-ups as 'Misra Kavithai', since I use English words wherever necessary.

{In the North Indian music, a rAgA which has swarAs other than the ones supposed to be used, has the prefix 'misra'. (eg) misra mAnd}

Regards,
Raji Ram

Auto = தானே இயங்கி reduced to ' தானியங்கி' shortened to 'தானி'....makes sense (when we also know the English word. Over the period, that Tamizh word would make sense on its own after using it for few years..)

Cheers!

இனிமேல் அடிக்கடி கேட்கக் கூடிய வசனம்,

"தானிக்கு போணி பண்ணுங்க சார் / மேடம்"

மக்கள் டி.வி யின் மகத்தான வெற்றி!

பணிகள் தொடரட்டும்!
:peace:

By 'auto' I meant the 'auto rickshaw'! auto rickshaw = தானி

Sorry.... we shout 'AUTO!' to get the vehicle and hence the mistake!

Raji Ram

முன்னோர் கண்டது:
Automobile = தானுந்து, தானியங்கு ஊர்தி

இன்னும்:
Car = சீருந்து, மகிழ்வுந்து

நான் auto rickshaw வுக்கு வைத்த செல்லப் பெயர்: 'ஆட்டுந்து' (ஆட்டி ஆட்டி ஓட்டுவதால்! + Rhymes with Auto)
:bump2:

Dear all

Dear friend,

We can at least tolerate if English words or sentences are added during a conversation in Tamil.

The most irritating feature is the 'translated' Tamil sentence!

மத்தபடி, எப்படி இருக்கேள்? => How are you, otherwise?

அதெல்லாம் ஒரு பிரச்சனை இல்லை. => That and all is not a problem!

மத்ததெல்லாம் ஓகே => otherwise, all OK!

I am reminded of one joke my friend shared with me.

One Telugu speaking guy was asked by the interview panel, "What are you doing now?"

He answered, "Sir! Right now I am EMPTY!"

In Telugu, they say "nEnu kAligA unnAnu", when they are free!

:mmph:
Raji Ram

Some of my tamil friends tell me that currently in south india brahmins use more english while speaking in tamil. Is that true? I have left chennai around 23 years back and am in mumbai now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back